• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravijah said:
Eggs can be traded, yeah. Dunno about bad eggs, though.

My bad egg isn't listed as a "bad egg" though. It just says "It looks like it will take a long time to hatch" versus "I wonder what's inside? It'll take some time to hatch."

So maybe the games will think it is a regular egg. It does have an item attached to it, however. Gulp.

D-Pad said:
By the way, if you faint Victini it'll come back once you leave the room and re-enter. I've been rebattling it for EV training. It gives 3 HP EVs. :p

I'm not a bad person.

Is the Liberty Garden Wonder Card tradeable?

Gravijah

Shed_a_Ninja said:
My bad egg isn't listed as a "bad egg" though. It just says "It looks like it will take a long time to hatch" versus "I wonder what's inside? It'll take some time to hatch."

So maybe the games will think it is a regular egg. It does have an item attached to it, however. Gulp.

You can trade attached items, anyway.

Wiseblade said:
I hate the way the team plasma member says that it'll "maybe" come back if you leave the room. Makes me think that after the 1000th time I kill it, it'll get bored and leave for good. :/

He probably means "maybe" as in "may very well," meaning that yes, it'll always reappear.

Why would you make an egg holding an item?
Anyways it's not hard to get hacks past the Wifi stuff. I faced someone today that had dark void on all his pokemon :| double battle too.

Articalys

D-Pad said:
Fuck Veteran Arlen. Damn.

At least he gave me something good.

You can trade wonder cards?!
I didn't know who that was, and eventually traced it back to the stadiums, which meant I learned how they work.
If I understand it correctly, each day you have the three athletes plus two double battles in each one, plus three trainers randomly grabbed from that postgame pool?

Marvie_3

Banned
How the fuck are you supposed to catch Victini? I've got him down to no health yet he's broken out of 10 ultra balls, 2 timer balls, and at least 15 great balls.

traveler

Not Wario
Say I'm trying to develop a competitive VGC qualified team and I've never done it before- how does one start? Do I just pick a Pokemon to go after and then start trying to breed an ideal candidate? I'm really lost when it comes to the post-game competitive scene.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Marvie_3 said:
How the fuck are you supposed to catch Victini? I've got him down to no health yet he's broken out of 10 ultra balls, 2 timer balls, and at least 15 great balls.

Lowest catch rate around. Paralyze/Sleep him as well if you can.

D-Pad

Articalys said:
I didn't know who that was, and eventually traced it back to the stadiums, which meant I learned how they work.
If I understand it correctly, each day you have the three athletes plus two double battles in each one, plus three trainers randomly grabbed from that postgame pool?

Sounds right. It was my first visit so I don't really know how it worked. :p All I know is that I failed three times.

At least I'm done leveling Eevee. Little bastard took two straight hours of grinding, which included the two stadiums and an unfinished Route 13. On top of that I still had to grind for Audinos to finish. :\ All of this just to pass down a move.
eek5 said:
i must've gotten lucky. i think i caught him on my 2nd regular pokeball :p
You mean unlucky because you caught it. :p

decaf

D-Pad said:
By the way, if you faint Victini it'll come back once you leave the room and re-enter. I've been rebattling it for EV training. It gives 3 HP EVs. :p

I'm not a bad person.
I've been wanting to do this too, but I'm afraid of setting Victini's IVs and Nature the first time I defeat it. Can anyone confirm his stats change on each rebattle?

MatthewB92 said:
Why would you make an egg holding an item?

*facepalm*

People need to learn to go back and understand the situation before responding. I was originally trying to make a Golurk with perfect IVs and I also tried to change its nature (it was Brave but I wanted Adamant). When I changed its nature, it became a bad egg (it also happened to have Shadow Tag on it). I also found out that there are Secret Natures, just like there are Secret IDs.

UberTag

vall03 said:
why the fuck does Game Freak make it difficult to get Evolution Stones here?!
You can stockpile evolution stones easily enough in caves by seeking out Drilbur/Excadrill dustclouds, using Max Repel/Stench and collecting them as random drops.

mazeedibeedi said:
Mock if old. The official Pokemon site now allows players to play a Brick-like game, giving the player a choice between one of the Eevee evolutions.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/fun-zone/online-games/play-to-befriend-a-pokemon_fg/

Edit: Also they all have the Dream world ability
This is spelled out within the in-game instructions but if you're like me and just jump in blind without reading them you may miss out on the easy way to exploit your way to an Eevee of your choice.

The falling orbs correspond to the Eevee you're gifted upon completing Level 4. The more orbs of a specific element you collect, the greater the likelihood you'll have of getting that Eevee in the random lottery at the end. So the trick here is to avoid all of the orbs you don't want (i.e. Flareon) and stockpile the ones you do to increase your chances.

As you don't get a crack at the 2nd and 4th gen evolutionary stages until Level 3, just avoid orbs until then if you're going for one of those (such as Magic Bounce Espeon... the only critter with a Dream World-exclusive ability).

I hope in the eventual Grey or RS remakes they go back and redo all the old cries.

It just seems out of place when you have Zubat make a gameboy style ZEEKREEKAKA and then have Victini make a very obvious laugh of a child. They're like sound effects from two different games.

Gen 1, 2 and 3 suffer from this problem. For 1 and 2, they have the Pokemon Stadium versions of the cries to work from, and the Gen 3 cries weren't that complicated anyway (they really weren't at all, listen to them, most are just one or two notes repeated or changed in pitch or stretched)

balladofwindfishes said:
It just seems out of place when you have Zubat make a gameboy style ZEEKREEKAKA and then have Victini make a very obvious laugh of a child. They're like sound effects from two different games.

)

how dare you make fun of zubats speech impediment.

Also guys, I just found out by one of the Project Pokemon guys that PIDs are determined by Natures and Abilities instead of IVs. So a 31 IV all-across-the-board spread is legal and can no longer be determined as illegitimate :)

Wiseblade

Shed_a_Ninja said:
*facepalm*

People need to learn to go back and understand the situation before responding. I was originally trying to make a Golurk with perfect IVs and I also tried to change its nature (it was Brave but I wanted Adamant). When I changed its nature, it became a bad egg (it also happened to have Shadow Tag on it). I also found out that there are Secret Natures, just like there are Secret IDs.

I'm sorry, but:
Izayoi said:
Newsflash: hacking the game causes unforeseen problems.

News at 11.

sums up my feelings pretty nicely. It's hard to have sympathy when your problems are entirely self inflicted.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shed_a_Ninja said:
*facepalm*

To be honest, this is not really the place to talk about Pokesaving and hacking the games.

TheOGB

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
I hope in the eventual Grey or RS remakes they go back and redo all the old cries.

Gen 1, 2 and 3 suffer from this problem. For 1 and 2, they have the Pokemon Stadium versions of the cries to work from, and the Gen 3 cries weren't that complicated anyway (they really weren't at all, listen to them, most are just one or two notes repeated or changed in pitch or stretched)
If there's one cry that should never, ever be tampered with, it's
Kricketune.

DEDEDEDEDEDEDEDEDEDEWHOOOOOOP

Wiseblade said:
I'm sorry, but:

sums up my feelings pretty nicely. It's hard to have sympathy when your problems are entirely self inflicted.

I was just curious if a simple trade-off to another cart would work. If it didn't, oh well, I would just hack it out instead.

TheOGB said:
If there's one cry that should never, ever be tampered with, it's
Kricketune.

DEDEDEDEDEDEDEDEDEDEWHOOOOOOP
DP's cries are fine, they're in the same style as Black and Whites

Why the heck did I just spend 20 minutes playing a flash based breakout clone? Whatever, I got my Jolteon, so it's worth it :)

Wiseblade

balladofwindfishes said:
DP's cries are fine, they're in the same style as Black and Whites

Why the heck did I just spend 20 minutes playing a flash based breakout clone? Whatever, I got my Jolteon, so it's worth it :)
I can't help but feel like Dream World Jolteon was a missed opportunity. Lightningrod or even Motor Drive would have been a really interesting ability. Switch in on an electric attack and use the boost to sweep or Baton Pass them to a team mate.

Gravijah said:
re:changing the cries

I really don't know. I guess I would be fine with them "updating" them. Something like stadium?
Yea, where the Pokemon actually sound like what I imagine they would had they been invented during DP/BW.

In Stadium, Zubat's cry is turned more into a clicking bat noise that only vagually resembles his GB cry. And also Charizard and Rhydon and Caterpie and Poliwag have very clear differences in their cries, when they don't in-game normally.

Good progress overall today. Got my second Life Orb, and my little Gen 3 business is done:

Qwilfish - #211 (Adamant)
HP: 24 - 25
Att: 31
Def: 22 - 23
SpA: 12
SpD: 23
Speed: 31

To think that I went through this trouble even though this guy is the least likely to stay when I get around to rearranging my team... on the plus side, the moveset and part of the EVs were added in the previous games before the transfer, meaning I won't have to buy steroids/TM Explosion.

I caught Victini in a great ball.

I got super lucky that he endured on a turn I got and accidental critical hit. After that I paralyzed it and caught it in my third great ball. I caught it as soon as I entered that town for the first time, so my Pokemon were all in the 15ish range when I did it.

Roto13

UberTag said:
You can stockpile evolution stones easily enough in caves by seeking out Drilbur/Excadrill dustclouds, using Max Repel/Stench and collecting them as random drops.
Playing it fast and loose with the word "easily" aren't you?

D-Pad

Huh... So that day-care limitation that disallowed you from leaving a parent and child and getting something from it... Is gone?

Or was it just son/mother or something? Or maybe it only worked that way if both Pokemon were the same species?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Huh... So that day-care limitation that disallowed you from leaving a parent and child and getting something from it... Is gone?

Or was it just son/mother or something? Or maybe it only worked that way if both Pokemon were the same species?

When was that an issue?

D-Pad said:

That was solved since Gen 3. You can breed anyone with anyone (following the rules of egg groups) D:

Wiseblade

D-Pad said:

Yeah, the incest clause was only in Gen II.

This game has drawn me in more so than any other generation before. It's filled with incredibly memorable moments like the first time on Skyarrow Bridge. Everything feels more streamlined so it encourages deeper involvement by making it less of a hassle. I really like the easier ways of checking things like IVs for instance; the inconvenience is what drove me away from that competitive aspect in previous iterations. I can't underestimate the importance of the fantastic music and aesthetic either; I just love the world and the new Pokemon. This is also the very first game since Red where I ignored the media run up so I'm still discovering and getting surprised by new Pokemon. It's all been very pleasing.

Usually my time with these games peters out after completing the main quest but I've already spent ten hours or more after beating the Elite 4 trying to hatch an outstanding modest male Deino with Dark Pulse (I have a surplus of four or five), exploring the other cities, and doing the extra battling opportunities in Nimbasa and I still want to do more.

Gravijah

Quadrangulum said:
This game has drawn me in more so than any other generation before. It's filled with incredibly memorable moments like the first time on Skyarrow Bridge. Everything feels more streamlined so it encourages deeper involvement by making it less of a hassle. I really like the easier ways of checking things like IVs for instance; the inconvenience is what drove me away from that competitive aspect in previous iterations. I can't underestimate the importance of the fantastic music and aesthetic either; I just love the world and the new Pokemon. This is also the very first game since Red where I ignored the media run up so I'm still discovering and getting surprised by new Pokemon. It's all been very pleasing.

Usually my time with these games peters out after completing the main quest but I've already spent ten hours or more after beating the Elite 4 trying to hatch an outstanding modest male Deino with Dark Pulse (I have a surplus of four or five), exploring the other cities, and doing the extra battling opportunities in Nimbasa and I still want to do more.

Your avatar reminds me of how terrible some of the Japanese names are.

Flareon is Booster. Yes, Booster.
Jolteon is Thunders.
Vaporeon is Showers. Christ!

Moltres is Fire.
Articuno is Freezer
Zapdos is... Thunder. :/

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
Your avatar reminds me of how terrible some of the Japanese names are.

Flareon is Booster. Yes, Booster.
Jolteon is Thunders.
Vaporeon is Showers. Christ!

Moltres is Fire.
Articuno is Freezer
Zapdos is... Thunder. :/

Charmeleon is Lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom