• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Pad

seabee said:
Very awesome OP! Will get one of the two tomorrow... haven't decided which though.

Heheh *smug* I'm getting both. First time I'll ever be doing so, and I don't know how I'm going to play them. Both at once or one after the other...

Suairyu

Banned
OMG Aero said:
I wouldn't teach Cut to your starter, from what I've heard, HMs in this game are primarily for optional stuff so it would just be a waste of a move slot until you get to the deleter.
I'm at the fourth gym now and I haven't even seen any cut trees aside from the one in the Dreamyard so far.
Oh, fantastic. Onto Patrat it goes!

Kurtofan

What's the deal with Solosis?
He doesn't seem to learn a lot of offensive moves early on.

Should I just dump him at the Pension?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kurtofan said:
What's the deal with Solosis?
He doesn't seem to learn a lot of offensive moves early on.

Should I just dump him at the Pension?

Solosis is pretty powerful in terms of Special Attack early on, but you really need TMs to be able to teach him something useful. He does receive Psyshock at 25, but not Psychic until 37. And by that time, you should begin to find the useful TMs (Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Calm Mind) to give him.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see what you mean about Tepig's evolved form looking a bit wacky.

Didn't realise it was going to be a fighting type which means I've got two on my team now. Could mark the first time I'll take my starter off my team.

Kurtofan

EvilMario said:
Solosis is pretty powerful in terms of Special Attack early on, but you really need TMs to be able to teach him something useful. He does receive Psyshock at 25, but not Psychic until 37. And by that time, you should begin to find the useful TMs (Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Calm Mind) to give him.
Oh I see,thanks.

I saw on CAG that people are finding them at BJ's and Sam's Club stores. I haven't checked the ones in my area, but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

traveler

Not Wario
So I was reading up at Smogon to try and learn a little bit about the competitive scene and, wow, there is a ton of stuff I don't know. STAB? Sweepers? Entry hazards? EVs? Hell, I didn't even remember that this series had breeding in it. Looks like I've got a lot to learn. I don't take it there's a primer on all this stuff somewhere?

And, am I missing something? It seems like there is a huge disparity in the number of exclusive Pokemon (in favor of White) given the number of Pokemon you can only catch in White Forest.

traveler said:
So I was reading up at Smogon to try and learn a little bit about the competitive scene and, wow, there is a ton of stuff I don't know. STAB? Sweepers? Entry hazards? EVs? Hell, I didn't even remember that this series had breeding in it. Looks like I've got a lot to learn.

And, am I missing something? It seems like there is a huge disparity in the number of exclusive Pokemon (in favor of White) given the number of Pokemon you can only catch in White Forest.

out of those words EVs is the only one that is complicated or troublesome. and in the end it "exclusive pokemon" mean nothing in this internet age.

Firestorm

Cache Smogon articles now because if past experience has taught us anything, that shit's gonna be impossible to reach once the game launches @_@

Teknoman

Stab just means same type attack bonus. If a water type attacks with a water move, it gets a damage bonus.

Btw, i've always wondered this: Are those "attacks 2-5 times" moves any good? Say if a move has 25 base damage and hits 5 times, would it be ranked at 125?

OMG Aero

Teknoman said:
Stab just means same type attack bonus. If a water type attacks with a water move, it gets a damage bonus.

Btw, i've always wondered this: Are those "attacks 2-5 times" moves any good? Say if a move has 25 base damage and hits 5 times, would it be ranked at 125?
It all depends on how many hits you happen to get, really. Multi-hit moves do have the advantage of each hit being classed as a separate attack, so you can break through a substitute and hit the opponent in the same move and if you are really lucky you can have multiple hits be criticals.

Near the start of the game I was using a Roggenrola with Rock Blast and aside from the few times when it only hit twice, it was pretty much the most damage dealing attack I had on my team.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the odd of it getting 5 hits are pretty low though, if I remember correctly 3 times has the highest chance to occur.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm still confused about the Liberty pass. When I get the game do I simply go online somewhere and get it? Or do I have to go to a specific store?

I've never tried to obtain event pokemon before, so....

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
Nope. I think there's maybe one or two that are decent due to some interesting uses by some uncommon Pokemon. Otherwise, nope.

SlickVic

Forceatowulf said:
I'm still confused about the Liberty pass. When I get the game do I simply go online somewhere and get it? Or do I have to go to a specific store?

If it's like Gen IV, you just go to the Mystery Gift option from the Main Menu, select Get Gift from WiFi Connection, and you'll get the pass.

Suairyu

Banned
Forceatowulf said:

You simply choose the "mystery gift" option from the main menu. You don't even need to have started a new game yet. It automatically downloads the pass. Then, next time you play, you enter a Pokémon centre and speak to the delivery man and he'll give you the pass, which opens up the area you can catch Victini in.

You can also get it in-store at some places if you can't connect your DS to the internet.

Rather than go back into town, I just borrowed my sister's DSi so I could use our home WPA wireless because, really, who is savvy enough to connect a DS to the internet actually bothers with WEP anymore?

Izayoi

Banned
JohnTinker said:
I will not buy this tomorrow

im sorry, school :(
School on a Sunday?

Ouch.

Anyway, god damnit rest of the world (except for Australia, my bros). I'm jelly.

431 captured. Full steam ahead, I'm finishing this bitch before tomorrow.

Roto13 said:
Getting both versions of Pokemon is like fiddling with the clock in Animal Crossing.

Not this shit again, was the previous thread not enough for you or what...

Also re: multi-hit moves, if they are contact moves, the damage from Rocky Helmet/Iron Barbs applies for each hit lol.

u can't touch this

I'm going to Walmart at midnight to see if I can get the game early. Doubt it but it's worth a try I guess.

Don't forget to PM me your Friend Codes with the correct form from post #39.

usea

Sad to say I'm skipping this game as well. I enjoyed playing dp with many of you, but I simply don't have the massive amount of time it would take to enjoy this game :( I would probably give it a shot if it weren't for all the crap like having to get stuff from older games etc.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Suairyu said:
You simply choose the "mystery gift" option from the main menu. You don't even need to have started a new game yet. It automatically downloads the pass. Then, next time you play, you enter a Pokémon centre and speak to the delivery man and he'll give you the pass, which opens up the area you can catch Victini in.

You can also get it in-store at some places if you can't connect your DS to the internet.

Rather than go back into town, I just borrowed my sister's DSi so I could use our home WPA wireless because, really, who is savvy enough to connect a DS to the internet actually bothers with WEP anymore?
I can't connect to my roommates wireless network because he put an apostrophe in the password and the DSi is incapable of allowing me to put it in. Nintendo must not of noticed ` and ' are different characters. I can't even do that WPS setting!

So in the end I found a old cheap USB wifi connector (I stopped using the thing due to it having a fairly low bandwidth cap, like 300 KB/s), and set it to be a wifi access point.

And now to play Pokemon Ranger 1, which I have been putting off for months... An NPC just scolded me for using the D-pad to walk over the touch screen :(

Teknoman

usea said:
Sad to say I'm skipping this game as well. I enjoyed playing dp with many of you, but I simply don't have the massive amount of time it would take to enjoy this game :( I would probably give it a shot if it weren't for all the crap like having to get stuff from older games etc.

To be fair, you can play the game as a stand alone, just like a normal rpg.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
SlickVic said:
If it's like Gen IV, you just go to the Mystery Gift option from the Main Menu, select Get Gift from WiFi Connection, and you'll get the pass.
Suairyu said:

Thanks a lot guys.

A few more questions if you don't mind:

1) So does Nintendo generally do this for all event pokemon or just a select few?
2) Once I obtain the pass in-game, does the mystery gift disappear forever? And can I re-download if I decided to start up a new game?

usea said:
I would probably give it a shot if it weren't for all the crap like having to get stuff from older games etc.
What stuff do you need to get from older games? Do you just mean because you have to transfer Pokemon from older games if you want to catch them all? Hardly anyone completes the dex anyway, and Black/White sound like the best and most complete entries in the series yet.

Oxx

Well, Black has been ordered. I'm not sure how much I'll play it initially given that I'm just getting into Radiant Historia, but I'm sure it will get a good run at some point.

Soul Silver really got me back into the fold after my dedication to the cause had gone from 250 hours with Blue to 40 hours with Pearl.

usea

Mr. Paer said:
What stuff do you need to get from older games? Do you just mean because you have to transfer Pokemon from older games if you want to catch them all? Hardly anyone completes the dex anyway, and Black/White sound like the best and most complete entries in the series yet.
I don't care about completing a pokedex, or catching them all. Pokemon is fun to me as a competitive battler, except the mind-numbing amount of prep it requires.

SlickVic

Forceatowulf said:
Thanks a lot guys.

1) So does Nintendo generally do this for all event pokemon or just a select few?
2) Once I obtain the pass in-game, does the mystery gift disappear forever? And can I re-download if I decided to start up a new game?

1) Many but probably not all. For example, the Gamestop Entei, Suicine, and Raikou events eventually were able to be downloaded from WFC, but the Ash's Pikachu and Celebii events aren't on there, at least not yet.
2) Mystery gifts should still be available even if you start a new game. Never tried this though so I could be wrong.

Suairyu

Banned
Forceatowulf said:
Thanks a lot guys.

I believe some are only obtainable in a store (Gamestop promotions) or, in Japan, at the cinema for movie-tie-in special versions of Pokémon.
edit - Yeah, it should forever be on your cart because it isn't tied to a particular save file (I got the gift before even starting my game)

Negator

Ugh, so freakin' lame. San Antonio has no midnight launch locations.

I guess I'll pester some guy at Wal-Mart tonight.

Great job with the official thread, Andrex.

Anyone with an early North American version of White almost done? I'm wondering if someone on GAF could breed me a Sheer Force Rufflet (baby eagle). Kinda bummed one has to wait until real late in the game before you can catch one. :(

Teknoman

Izayoi said:
No contest.

Yeah I was 100% on having a Samurott, but then I saw Emboar's animation. Then again, I havent gone with a water starter since...Fire Red with Squirtle/ Silver version with Totodile.

Izayoi

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yeah I was 100% on having a Samurott, but then I saw Emboar's animation. Then again, I havent gone with a water starter since...Fire Red with Squirtle/ Silver version with Totodile.
Do it. Oshawott is a bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom