• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crunched said:
The parental concern leads to something surprisingly poignant later on. I'm pleasantly surprised with the way B/W handles moral issues. D/P had a few heartfelt moments, particularly involving the legendaries at the lake partway through, but B/W connects on more than a surface good vs. evil level. It's pretty mature for a Pokemon game, and I really appreciate that.

It already seems more serious than earlier Pokemon stories what with people actually bringing up the fact you shove little creatures into balls and make them do your bidding. Of course that's obviously not gonna stop, but it's interesting it's finally acknowledged after 15 years.

By the way, I love the addition of portraits to phone calls. Every generation, I'm always happy about at least one aspect of the minor leap in presentation.

Edit: Also, is it just me or is the encounter rate WAY up?

Zzoram

Pokemon has always been a bit of a mixed message.

On the one hand, you must love and care for your Pokemon. On the other hand, kids are enslaving animals to fight each other for prizes and vanity.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
razgriz417 said:
just got my victini and zorua. The zorua is modest, is that good? Or should I be resetting for something else?

You can't get Zorua before beating the E4 right? Or is it possible to transfer in Celebi?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man...I can't wait till my Cubchoo evolves...he seriously sucks right now. :(

It's pretty much using Icy Wind, and hoping the speed decrease is enough that he gets to attack first next time.

Well, post-game has been surprising me so far.

It's like as soon as I go to the right of
Opelucid City
, suddenly there's like level 50 Pokémon in the grass, trainers in the 60s(!), and absolute anarchy when it comes to trainer rosters. It's like they just took a big wheel with all the Pokemon on it, and just threw darts at it, and bam, there's a team.

And my party is still <50. But it's still intersting, just have to be careful with who I use...

survivor

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
It already seems more serious than earlier Pokemon stories what with people actually bringing up the fact you shove little creatures into balls and make them do your bidding. Of course that's obviously not gonna stop, but it's interesting it's finally acknowledged after 15 years.

By the way, I love the addition of portraits to phone calls. Every generation, I'm always happy about at least one aspect of the minor leap in presentation.

It's like every 4 steps in the grass and I get a random encounter. Feels way higher than previous games.

Suairyu

Banned
Does anyone else get Pokémon attachment issues? Like, I've traded+bred all the starters, yet I still won't swap my slightly-less-capable 'mon out.

And all those cool looking Pokémon I'm catching... nope, my current six have been with me for too long to change now!

I think I might need to just stop playing the story for now and force myself to experiment with different monsters.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bug Gym leaders showing once again that they are pushovers.

Ani496MS.png
Jormungand lv 23
Ani532MS.png
Sabin lv 21
Ani522MS.png
Ixion lv 21
Ani535MS.png
Kappa lv 21
Ani505MS.png
Dientudo lv 20
Ani494MS.png
Ifrit lv 18

So I wasn't underleveled, it's just that Lenora was overpowered.

I spent about two hours trying to catch a Drilbur at Wellspring Cave to no avail. :( Are they not as rare elsewhere?

Busaiku

Billychu said:
Does your DS have the same IP as the machine that's running web browser you're using?
Whenever I input the same IP, I can't connect.
How would I go about fixing this (the instructions don't mention that)?

Suairyu

Banned
Busaiku said:
Whenever I input the same IP, I can't connect.
How would I go about fixing this (the instructions don't mention that)?
I've just gone back 700 posts trying to find your original post, and can't. Is this to do with ad hoc networking? Because I've been doing it all day for multiple people and am very familiar with it now.

Emitan

Suairyu said:
I've just gone back 700 posts trying to find your original post, and can't. Is this to do with ad hoc networking? Because I've been doing it all day for multiple people and am very familiar with it now.
He's trying to use that fake GTS server to get the WiFi even Pokemon.

Suairyu

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
What does shaking ground look like? Is it like a bunch of dirt shaking?
Pretty much. Others have described it as "swirling dust". When manifesting in grass, it just looks like rustling grass. When manifesting in water, it's looks like a dark, unpopped bubble.

Protip: when hunting for shaking ground in a cave, stock up on repels and use them. You can still have shaking-ground encounters if you are using repel. In fact, it's almost necessary. Having a Pokémon fight removes the shaking ground and resets the step counter. ALWAYS repel.

Styles

OMG they've added the 'sort' option in the items box. Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss No more do I have to sort it manually.

D-Pad

Suairyu said:
Does anyone else get Pokémon attachment issues? Like, I've traded+bred all the starters, yet I still won't swap my slightly-less-capable 'mon out.

And all those cool looking Pokémon I'm catching... nope, my current six have been with me for too long to change now!

I think I might need to just stop playing the story for now and force myself to experiment with different monsters.

Yes because I trained them so hard and we've bonded and fought Plasma together. Also: they know all of my secrets and parting now is too risky.

Oh right, it was pretty disconcerting having two of the trainers on Route
11 suddenly speak French to me @_@
. I wonder if there are any more?

Teknoman

Regulus Tera said:
Bug Gym leaders showing once again that they are pushovers.

Ani522MS.png
Ixion lv 21

Its going to be confusing if we ever battle each other.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm imagining a kid going on an adventure and getting brutally mauled by a Pokemon or freezing to death outside on the first night of his adventure.

We've got teens sailing around the world on their own these days though :p

D-Pad

Vect said:
OMG they've added the 'sort' option in the items box. Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss No more do I have to sort it manually.

Definitely a time saver, as I've spent many several minutes in Platinum sorting through that shit. HGSS was worse! 6 items per page. :\

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
razgriz417 said:
You can get in right after you enter Castelia. You use the relocator for Celebi and the dogs to get them in game, requires 2 ds' tho

Here's the info:

Oh son of a..

I wish that guide had mentioned that it would transfer held items. Would have picked 4 items to take.

Busaiku

Suairyu said:
Oh. Can't help him there. Dirty cheater.
Hey, it's only for the Celebi I missed!
And I only missed it cause my Gamestop's DS died and they didn't know how to do anything after that.

BEAT STORY!! Badges: 8, Time: 26:03, Seen: 137, Caught: 70 - Seperior 47, Scrafty 51, Zoroark 57, Galvantula 49, Darmanitan 50, Carracosta 51 @Nuvema Town

Whooo, National Dex get!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Suairyu said:
Pretty much. Others have described it as "swirling dust". When manifesting in grass, it just looks like rustling grass. When manifesting in water, it's looks like a dark, unpopped bubble.

Protip: when hunting for shaking ground in a cave, stock up on repels and use them. You can still have shaking-ground encounters if you are using repel. In fact, it's almost necessary. Having a Pokémon fight removes the shaking ground and resets the step counter. ALWAYS repel.

OH MY FUCKING GOD I GOT MYSELF A DRILBUR GOD MY OOOOOOOH

I was going to name it Simon because his drill would be the drill that pierced the heavens!

But then I realised it was female. FUUUUUUUUU

D-Pad

Regulus Tera said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD I GOT MYSELF A DRILBUR GOD MY OOOOOOOH

I was going to name it Simon because his drill would be the drill that pierced the heavens!

But then I realised it was female. FUUUUUUUUU
Find another one.

Busaiku

If there's a swirling bubble in the same area where I'm trying to get shaking grass, does that mean I won't get the latter (don't have surf yet)?

btkadams

i really like reading this thread. i wish it wasn't so active during school hours lol. it feels like around now it dies down. and i'm always gaming this late at night.

D-Pad

Busaiku said:
If there's a swirling bubble in the same area where I'm trying to get shaking grass, does that mean I won't get the latter (don't have surf yet)?

I think so. Just encounter a wild Pokemon or talk to somebody to cancel it.
btkadams said:
i really like reading this thread. i wish it wasn't so active during school hours lol. it feels like around now it dies down. and i'm always gaming this late at night.

That's okay. This is when all the cool people are on. :p

Izayoi

Banned
btkadams said:
I'm always here for you.

Jinko

MatthewB92 said:
Yea locally only.
And if you never connect with it you will always have those same trainers or pokemon. They will never change until you connect to entralink with someone.

Damn thats crap, why are nintendo so lame when it comes to online.

Balb

cosmicblizzard said:

Running increases the encounter rate significantly. Try walking more in grassy areas.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
PS_GUY said:
Why do you say that? I was at the Desert Resort and didn't notice anything...

Please spoil for me!

Just the way it's layered to have hills. The hills aren't very noticeable on the DS, but seem like they were designed to be seen in 3D.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I just beat the first gym and here's my team:

Blitzle lvl 10 (Just caught this one)

Purrloin lvl 14

Pansear lvl 14

Dewott lvl 17

Patrat lvl 5 (aka HM whore)

Are there any pokemons i should try adding early to my team?

Guru-Guru

Banned
Buying this game tomorrow!

It will be my first Pokemon game since Gold/Silver. So about 10 years? I didn't know anything about Black/White until I clicked this thread, but the great OP, plus the general reception from members in this thread has convinced me to buy it! Since I haven't played a Pokemon game in 10 years anyway it should feel like a pretty fresh experience.

Leaning towards getting Black at the moment.

I'm currently about to face the 8th gym leader. There is something really beautiful about ruining an entire slew of dragons with only an ice cream cone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom