• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Shed_a_Ninja said:
I'd like to know how quadraped animals can be part
fighting.gif
. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Ya that's pretty dumb.

I still prefer the animal looking Pokemon over the humanoids. The humanoids are just creepy, it makes Pokemon trainers look even more like slave masters.

D-Pad

Gotta leave for class, and I have to study... :( Oh but I'll just check this one thing then I'll hit the books. 3 hours right? Plenty of time!

... But then it was only 1. ;(

I'm going to have to invest in a time-locked safe.

Kurtofan

Shed_a_Ninja said:
180px-537Seismitoad.png

compared to

170px-062Poliwrath.png

?

No.
You're kidding right?
Poliwrath is an angry looking Poliwhirl while Seismitoad is a giant toad motherfucker.
He gives no fuck,and he'll wreck anyone who trespass on his swamp turf.

I already said that the Tympole line is the poliwhirl line done right.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
I'd like to know how quadraped animals can be part
fighting.gif
. It doesn't make a lick of sense.
Never heard of joust,horse fight,corrida etc...?

Roto13

BGBW said:
Kind of funny you are having such difficulty catching 'mons since I've found this one of the easier games. Only had to use one Ultraball so far.
Yesterday I threw a Dusk Ball at one of those candle Pokemon with full health and it caught it first try.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
  1. Zzoram said:
    I still prefer the animal looking Pokemon over the humanoids. The humanoids are just creepy, it makes Pokemon trainers look even more like slave masters.
    Those building ain't gonna build themselves ya know.
    Get back to work Machamp!

2. Is it considered cheating to follow a map when exploring dark caves. Can't be bothered to use flash.

3. qF3uH.png

Zzoram

Shed_a_Ninja said:
The algorithm used for these catch rate percentages must be ridiculous, then.

No, they're just based on probability. Lower health improves the probability that a particular Pokeball will work. They all technically have at least some small chance of catching a Pokemon with full health immediately so it's bound to happen for someone eventually.

I caught Victini with relatively little trouble a few days ago whereas on Soul Silver I spent 50 ultra balls on an Articuno and still didn't catch it. V_V

Think I'm going back to the pre-elite four grind. Though with a bit of luck I may be able to do it now.

Roto13

Zzoram said:
No, they're just based on probability. Lower health improves the probability that a particular Pokeball will work. They all technically have at least some small chance of catching a Pokemon with full health immediately so it's bound to happen for someone eventually.
I bet if I go back there and try it five more times, it will happen at least four more times. This was the third time I tried to catch a Pokemon with full health in this game, and the third time it worked.

(This isn't me in the picture.)

http://brizzly.com/pic/4AT8

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just had the most epic battle against Elesa.

Basically I lead with Ixion (Blitzle) since none of my Pokeymen are effective against the Emolgas, relying on his Thunder Wave to grind the thing out. I flame charge the fuck outta them until I realise they have Static ability. So I'm basically juggling PRLZ Heals and Potions like crazy while Flame Charging them and using my other Pokeymen as fodder to revive Ixion because somehow whenever you paralyse the CPU it never works in your favour.

I'm running out of potions when she stupidly Volt Switches out to her Zebstrika instead of the other Emolga. Simon (Drilbur) Digs the shit outta that motherfucker and from then on it's just a matter of letting my other guys chip away damage at the Emolgas while I pump Ixion up.

Took me like fifteen minutes. I don't give a shit!

Stats after battle:

Ani496MS.png
Jormungand lv 24

Ani554MS.png
Chiconahui lv 24

Ani522MS.png
Ixion lv 23

Ani559MS.png
Shedz lv 22

Ani535MS.png
Kappa lv 22

Ani529MS.png
Simon lv 22

D-Pad

asdfsasdsasdfsfgamn it! One dragon claw from a level 40 pos took my freshly healed lv 48 druggigon down to only 21 HP. 120 hit points gone in one fucking swipe. On top of that they get to move first?! FTS. >:_(

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
Just wait til you reach Skyla.
THIS.

Also: bulbapedia now list the chance of catching a pokemon at full health with a regular pokeball on each species page. Some of them are way higher/lower than I would have thought.

Roto13

Just about go challenge the 6th gym. My team!

Zs5MX.gif

Musharna, lvl. 38
(I evolved it from Munna just after it learned Psychic at level 37.)

bNz5f.gif

Samurott, lvl. 40
(How it went from a Dewott to this, I may never understand.)

hxpnX.gif

Emboar, lvl. 39
(Fire Pokemon look extra badass this generation, with their flowing flames.)

i2CVt.gif

Serperior, lvl. 40
(Its blood-curdling scream echoes in my soul.)

91ZXZ.gif

Gigalith, lvl. 34
(I might switch this out for a Rock/Ground type if I find one. Or for something else.)

v8oW3.gif

Unfezant, lvl. 25
(It's pretty much here so I can fly places.)

Also, Imgur fucking sucks at uploading images from URLs.

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
I hate how the female MC always has that stupid smile during the phone calls.
I hate how they seemingly give their devices to someone else so that they can pose in front of the camera.

And how come N is
the only one who gets an RPG-esque portrait
?

Roto13

Tranquill protected itself! Tranquill protected itself! Tranquill protected itself!

OH FUCK YOU! All that does is make me waste PP. Motherfuckers.

Red

Super_Chicken said:
Lol when my mom phoned on the video phone in the game. I showed my friend and said "wow my moms hot!"
Dat forehead.

Just got my Samurott right before fighting Elesa. Fights are too easy at this point, and I hope the game becomes challenging soon.

Raising a Krokorok right now, unfortunately it is a quiet nature, but he's still doing me alright. I've heard Krookodile is pretty good. Don't know if I'll keep him, but I'm going to try him out and see what he can do. Will focus on raising Solosis following that. I know he's got a lower stat total but I really like the way his final form looks.

Man, Munna and Musharna are such ugly Pokemon. They look like buttholes with penis-legs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
one of the trainers in pinwheel forest was so f'in crap... his patrat had ungodly speed (beating all of my guys despite being 3-5 levels lower) and basically snad kicked us into uselessness. So frustrating. Finally it was my pansage and a combination of random vine whips and leech seed that took the punk down. was SOOOOO annoying.

Just got into Castleina city (or whatever). And while it's only DS graphics, the perspective shift was a lot of fun. It's kind of like they realize the limits of the DS now and the limits of how they can apply that to the current pokemon system and are just playing with it.

I do hope for the first true 3DS Generation that they really look at the graphic system (I know people were hoping this gen or any DS gen would be that also). It will be a heartbreak to get away from the sprite system as the sprite work has always been exceptional (well, based on however good the designs actually are). But they've really gone as far as they can with this graphics engine, and I don't know how viable sprite work will continue to be as the resolution of the handheld jumps (if even just a little bit).

Jinko

Just completed the main story, first pokemon game i have completed, caught Zekrom with first ultra ball :D

I guess we can't visit the dream world until the 30th ?

Achtius

Jinko said:
Just completed the main story, first pokemon game i have completed, caught Zekrom with first ultra ball :D

I literally just caught it too (with the 2nd ultraball) D:

edit: and oh shit, i think i should of include zekrom in my party. reshrian is way too fast D:
edit 2: abusing his
hyper beam recharge to revive my full team (i brought like 40 revive and 60 hyper potion for him) and paralyze him
edit 3: LOL i think he went out of PP for
hyper beam and fusion flare

i laughed at the fact that no one from the first gym went to stop the 6 sages

Pyrokai

Is there any place that could assist in figuring out which Pokemon type COMBOS are effective/ineffective against things?

For example I'm thinking about using Ferroseed, the Steel/Grass type because that type sounds _so_ awesome. However, I'd like to know what types of attacks it is weak against, since it's such a weird combo.

Bonus points if it helps explain weakness/strengths to other type combos, too!

Thanks, guys. I just need a source

Edit: Oh, I just noticed that Serebii let's me do this. However, I have to look them up by individual Pokemon....

Pyrokai said:
Is there any place that could assist in figuring out which Pokemon type COMBOS are effective/ineffective against things?

For example I'm thinking about using Ferroseed, the Steel/Grass type because that type sounds _so_ awesome. However, I'd like to know what types of attacks it is weak against, since it's such a weird combo.

It is definitely weak to fire type.

Anilones

Pyrokai said:

Edit: Oh, I just noticed that Serebii let's me do this. However, I have to look them up by individual Pokemon....
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ferroseed_(Pokémon)#Type_effectiveness

Pyrokai

MidnightScott said:
It is definitely weak to fire type.

Haha, yeah I figured that. It actually takes x4 damage! The only other type it's weak against is fighting.

Holy crap, this Pokemon seems like such a beast. I'm definitely going to be using this one. It takes only half damage from: Normal, Water, Electric, Grass (.25, actually), Psychic, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel.

Wow. Is that an abnormal amount of strengths?

Pyrokai said:
Haha, yeah I figured that. It actually takes x4 damage! The only other type it's weak against is fighting.

Holy crap, this Pokemon seems like such a beast. I'm definitely going to be using this one. It takes only half damage from: Normal, Water, Electric, Grass (.25, actually), Psychic, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel.

My Scrafty & Darmanitan laugh in the face of Ferroseed/thorn! :D

Anilones

Pyrokai said:

It is extremely slow and very poor attack stats, depending on its moveset it could make a good annoyer though.

Pyrokai

Gravijah said:
There should be a 4-5 step grace period after every battle where it's impossible to get into another.

I definitely think this game is worse than previous gens when it comes to this. I can't even seem to go 1-2 steps sometimes! I've thought it might be because I'm always running instead of walking....

Gravijah

Pyrokai said:
I definitely think this game is worse than previous gens when it comes to this. I can't even seem to go 1-2 steps sometimes! I've thought it might be because I'm always running instead of walking....

It's not because you are running. It happens when you are walking.

Mr. Sam

How tough is Skyla? I have no Pokemon that are super effective against flying pokemon but I do have a couple that might struggle (Serperior, Cofagrigus). I was thinking of training the shit out of an Eelektrik until it learns Thunderbolt and then evolving it into an Eelektross. Recommended?

Gravijah

Kurtofan said:
Running/using the bike raises the encounter rate.

It did in HGSS, but I'm not sure if that's true in this game. I've seriously walked, and had 5 battles in a row 1-2 steps in between.

Pyrokai

Anilones said:
It is extremely slow and very poor attack stats, depending on its moveset it could make a good annoyer though.

Hmmm....you're right. I wonder if there are any natures that helps offset that a bit?

I don't know much about natures either. For the first time ever I'm trying to make as competitive team as possible :p .

PS: Since I'm new to IV/EV stuff, just to clarify: the stats of Attk, Def, Sp. Att, etc are the IVs, correct? In B/W I think it calls them stats....

Achtius

Stock up on max repel. :D I think i used over 60 of them already.

Pyrokai said:
PS: Since I'm new to IV/EV stuff, just to clarify: the stats of Attk, Def, Sp. Att, etc are the IVs, correct? In B/W I think it calls them stats....

Each stats have their own unique IV and EV value, both of which are hidden.
To calculate EV, you need to mark down the EV u gained from each defeated pokemon you earned exp from, and to calculate IV, you can use this site:

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom