• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

thetechkid said:
Does anyone get the vibe that the designs of these pokemon are just altered first/second gen pokemon?
yup. but there's also a lot of really good designs that seem like "oh, i wonder why they havent designed something like that already" like the ice cream looking ones or sadly, the garbage bag pokemon haha. i dont know, i really like all of the designs.

plus, it's easy to excuse the pokemon being like gen 1 pokemon because its in a region that's very far away from all of the others so they'd need their own pidgey, etc.

Pyrokai said:
Hmmm....you're right. I wonder if there are any natures that helps offset that a bit?

You're generally better off emphasizing a Pokémon's strengths than trying to compensate for its weaknesses, especially if you're new to competitive battling since you wouldn't know enough about the metagame to take advantage of the element of surprise.

If you really think you need to attack first with this Pokémon though, I guess you could go for a team based around Trick Room (not that I could give you more advice here, I suck at making these work... granted, last time I tried was when people thought Rhyperior was good), but in that case you would actually want even LOWER speed.

Achtius

I just beat the story mainly by status (paralyze and burn), recoil damage (rough skin and rocky helmet) and lots and lots of potions. Didn't evolve my dewott nor put Zerkom in my party.

Edit: My team after beating the story

lvl 46 dewott, lvl 41 zestrika, lvl 46 victini, lvl 44 druddigon, lvl 43 conkeldurr, lvl 46 rufflet

Ryn

Drkirby said:
Am I the only one who feel the second evolution of the starters look better then the final one in this game?

for some of them, I really like Snivey's final form though. Most badass starter pokemon ever.

Gravijah

thetechkid said:
Does anyone get the vibe that the designs of these pokemon are just altered first/second gen pokemon?

There are a few that have similar "bases" but they are unique enough to stand out. It's almost like building consistency in the Pokemon world. There's also stuff like Pidove which is similar to Pidgey, but it's last form is so unique looking you can't really complain.

btkadams said:
i completely disagree. i think all the final forms are the best looking. dewott looks like an idiot.

Dewott stands out because of it's weird color. Samurott is so badass though.

btkadams

Drkirby said:
Am I the only one who feel the second evolution of the starters look better then the final one in this game?
i completely disagree. i think all the final forms are the best looking. dewott looks like an idiot.

borghe said:
one of the trainers in pinwheel forest was so f'in crap... his patrat had ungodly speed (beating all of my guys despite being 3-5 levels lower) and basically snad kicked us into uselessness. So frustrating. Finally it was my pansage and a combination of random vine whips and leech seed that took the punk down. was SOOOOO annoying.

Just got into Castleina city (or whatever). And while it's only DS graphics, the perspective shift was a lot of fun. It's kind of like they realize the limits of the DS now and the limits of how they can apply that to the current pokemon system and are just playing with it.

I do hope for the first true 3DS Generation that they really look at the graphic system (I know people were hoping this gen or any DS gen would be that also). It will be a heartbreak to get away from the sprite system as the sprite work has always been exceptional (well, based on however good the designs actually are). But they've really gone as far as they can with this graphics engine, and I don't know how viable sprite work will continue to be as the resolution of the handheld jumps (if even just a little bit).

Are you kidding?

High-res sprites are a thing of sheer unadulterated sex. I would love to see them in the next gen of pokemon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sooo....Buy this? Or finally get around to the unplayed copy of Soul Silver I bought last year?

My only Pokemon experience was LeafGreen on GBA, and while everyone used to call HG/SS the 'Best', I'm starting to feel awkward even bothering with that one when B/W is now the big deal.

Gravijah

Brandon F said:
Sooo....

Buy this? Or finally get around to the unplayed copy of Soul Silver I bought last year?
My only Pokemon experience was LeafGreen on GBA, and while everyone used to call HG/SS the 'Best', I'm starting to feel awkward even bothering with that one when B/W is now the big deal.

Jump in and play with us, of course.

Roto13

What's easier? 750 high res sprites with simple animations or 750 3D models?

Playing Black/White isn't going to ruin SoulSilver for you or anything, so you might as well play Black/White with the rest of us. :p Then go back to SoulSilver later and catch a bunch of Pokemon to export to Black/White.

btkadams

Brandon F said:
Sooo....Buy this? Or finally get around to the unplayed copy of Soul Silver I bought last year?

play this one with gaf (because it's much more fun playing pokemon with people). THEN, go back to soul silver and play through it so you can trade pokemon up to Black.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Roto13 said:
What's easier? 750 high res sprites with simple animations or 750 3D models?

3D models by a long shot, you dont have to draw a new set for different angles on the pokemon. 750 charecters = drawing sprites for the front, back, and world map view. so 750x 3. so now we are at 2250 drawinings. Now each set needs animations. And if you decide later on to add a new perspective, well you need to draw another set.

with the 3d models you do it once and its done. you make an animation, great, change the camera angle and you have a behind the back shot.

Gravijah

ryan-ts said:
I remember someone saying you can find a Larvesta after obtaining Surf, can someone tell how to get my hands on one?

You get it from an egg inside of a building on Route 17/18. You get there by surfing at... Route 1 I think?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mr. Sam said:
How tough is Skyla? I have no Pokemon that are super effective against flying pokemon but I do have a couple that might struggle (Serperior, Cofagrigus). I was thinking of training the shit out of an Eelektrik until it learns Thunderbolt and then evolving it into an Eelektross. Recommended?

Not terribly tough if you don't have Super Effective attacks. Neutral attacks can take these guys down. The key would be to have Pokemon that resist Flying though.

So, I'm thinking I'll add Larvesta/Volcarona to my team. Is it worth it to keep Emboar on the roster? He's cool and all but I feel like Volcarona would fill the role better, especially since I can get fighting STAB elsewhere.

Gravijah

Quick question about Twist Mountain:

Feels like I've explored most of it, but I can't seem to get to a few rooms. Do you come back here later? I don't want to lose my mind running around this place.

Gravijah said:
Quick question about Twist Mountain:

Feels like I've explored most of it, but I can't seem to get to a few rooms. Do you come back here later? I don't want to lose my mind running around this place.
It changes with the season, giving access to those rooms.

Woffls

Super_Chicken said:
Having no L=A is crushing my life when trying to play in bed or eat while playing. It's so hard to play using one hand now :(
I have devised a method for this. I'm right handed, and hold the DS Lite in my left palm with 3 fingers behind it, thumb over the dpad, and little finger over ABXY. It's awkward for running around, but fine for battles if your thumb has enough reach. Unfortunately, this is dependant on the holding it the normal way so your 3 fingers are holding it up. This is what enables you to reach forward with the thumb without dropping it or something.

Works for me anyway! Hate not having L=A.

ryan-ts

AmICoolYet said:
So, I'm thinking I'll add Larvesta/Volcarona to my team. Is it worth it to keep Emboar on the roster? He's cool and all but I feel like Volcarona would fill the role better, especially since I can get fighting STAB elsewhere.
Thats my plan, great minds think alike.

Andrefpvs

Pro-tip: Always buy Super Repels and not Max Repels. The Money/Step ratio is lower with Super Repels. If you always do this, you'll end up saving a lot of money!

Glix

Woffls said:
I have devised a method for this. I'm right handed, and hold the DS Lite in my left palm with 3 fingers behind it, thumb over the dpad, and little finger over ABXY. It's awkward for running around, but fine for battles if your thumb has enough reach. Unfortunately, this is dependant on the holding it the normal way so your 3 fingers are holding it up. This is what enables you to reach forward with the thumb without dropping it or something.

Works for me anyway! Hate not having L=A.

My shoulder buttons have not worked in over a year :(

3DS....

CAN'T WAIT [/Bart Scott]

Roto13

Is there anything in the water on Route 1 that I should be trying to catch? I have two Basculins and that's enough for me if there's nothing else. I kind of want to use a repel since everything here is so weak. :p

Andrefpvs said:
Pro-tip: Always buy Super Repels and not Max Repels. The Money/Step ratio is lower with Super Repels. If you always do this, you'll end up saving a lot of money!
Pff, except you have to stop like 50 steps earlier to re-apply. Fuck that, Imma keep "chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool." And I mean, money hasn't been an issue, like, ever...

AmICoolYet said:
Pff, except you have to stop like 50 steps earlier to re-apply. Fuck that, Imma keep "chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool." And I mean, money hasn't been an issue, like, ever...
It kind of is this gen. No VS seeker is killing me :(

Andrefpvs

AmICoolYet said:

:O

I guess you don't buy as many vitamins as I do. Those drugs are expensive! :(

MatthewB92 said:
It kind of is this gen. No VS seeker is killing me :(
Well, I haven't really had any problems... Just beat the eighth gym :|. Don't get me wrong, money has gotten tight a couple times but I bounce back with like twice as much. Also, I've only bought like 15 pokeballs and haven't caught many pokemon, I'll leave that for post-game. The fact that they don't seem to give you an amulet coin is killing me.

Andrefpvs said:
I guess you don't buy as many vitamins as I do. Those drugs are expensive! :(
Yup, 0. No point dealing with those or EV training until post-game. That's all metagame frosting to me B-]

Roto13

AmICoolYet said:
Well, I haven't really had any problems... Just beat the eighth gym :|. Don't get me wrong, money has gotten tight a couple times but I bounce back with like twice as much. Also, I've only bought like 15 pokeballs and haven't caught many pokemon, I'll leave that for post-game. The fact that they don't seem to give you an amulet coin is killing me.
They do give you an amulet coin.

Andrefpvs

AmICoolYet said:

Actually I'm at gym 6 and I already have an amulet coin! I think you get it from a random person at Castelia City. Did you explore all the buildings?

EDIT: You have to find all 3 breakdancers and talk to them when they're together.

Wichu

HappyBivouac said:
Are you kidding?

High-res sprites are a thing of sheer unadulterated sex. I would love to see them in the next gen of pokemon.
071Victreebel.png
304Aron.png
484Palkia.png

Damn right. I'm involved in a project to create 160x160 sprites of every Pokémon (more precisely, I started it over a year ago), and some of the sprites we have are pretty amazing. I know the 3DS isn't quite high-res enough for that size of sprites, but a Pokémon game with high-res sprites would look amazing.

Any GAF pixel-artists want to help us out?

MisterHero

Pagusas said:
3D models by a long shot, you dont have to draw a new set for different angles on the pokemon. 750 charecters = drawing sprites for the front, back, and world map view. so 750x 3. so now we are at 2250 drawinings. Now each set needs animations. And if you decide later on to add a new perspective, well you need to draw another set.

with the 3d models you do it once and its done. you make an animation, great, change the camera angle and you have a behind the back shot.
Yeah it blows my mind how many times any given Pokemon has been drawn. There's what you've mentioned, plus how many it would take to have them in the overworld, 4 perspectives X 2 frames for very basic walk animation, so that's 8 times of the same Pokemon. They did this for the main series, the Mystery Dungeon series, the Pinball games, AND the Ranger series.

Meanwhile, the models and animations they made for Pokemon Stadium were used in Stadiums 1 and 2, Pokemon Snap, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Colosseum, XD, Battle Revolution, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I'm not a hardcore fan of spritework, but even as a general fan of 2D, I REALLY underrate the work they do for Pokemon. XP

The next thing they could do in 2D that would really impress me is draw the battle sprites to scale. D:

D-Pad

Achtius said:
Stock up on max repel. :D I think i used over 60 of them already.

Super Repels are a better bang for your buck. Max Repels are a rip off. You pay how much more than Super Repels for a measly 50 extra steps?

Andrefpvs said:
Actually I'm at gym 6 and I already have an amulet coin! I think you get it from a random person at Castelia City. Did you explore all the buildings?
I looked in most of them but got bored and rushed through it. Time for some back tracking!

Suairyu

Banned
Okay, I think it's time I refreshed my entire team and learnt some new Pokémon. One caveat is that I'm definitely keeping Zebstrika, and thinking pretty seriously about keeping Servine due to it being starter tradition.

Much as I love Victini, he is overpowered for a playthrough. Throh is a powerhouse, but too much so. He's essentially the "win button" against any opponent. Panpour has treated me well but he evolves into a dirty hippy. And Liepard... well, despite what Gravijah will say, is an awesome Pokémon, but it's time for a change!

I have access to all of the starters, so I'm half tempted to plug the water and fire gap with Tepig and Oshawott. As I finally have fly, I think it'd be wise to add a flying type. Sigilyph would cover both Psychic and Flying, replacing Victini's rather inadequate performance in this area and allowing quick travel via Fly (which as far as HMs go, isn't the worst move in the world to occupy a slot). It also helps he has great stats.

Which really leaves me wanting for something in the Fighting/Ground/Rock/Dark region of things, which is a lot of types to leave open.

Oshawott could be swapped out for Tirtouga/Carracosta, as it covers both water and rock, plus learns Crunch, a really strong dark move, really early on. A better Special Attack than Samurott, too, though much weaker speed and HP.

Fucking Pokémon, man. Too many options!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really had any money problems thus far, and I just beat the 7th gym.

Wish I knew where to get some ether, though.

Anth0ny

I just bought 99 max repels yesterday and am already down to 60 something. AND I'M DONE THE GAME. Just fucking navigating/legendary searching requires a fuck ton of repels.

Money hasn't been a problem for me.

Thoraxes

AmICoolYet said:

Not sure about spoilers so i'll play it safe.

In
Castelia City
, go to the fountain in the upper part of town, and talk to the
dancing man
in front of the fountain.

Then you find the
other two dancing guys, and talk to the middle one when all three are gathered in front of the fountain and you'll get one.

One is in the leftmost alley, and another is on the second from the left docks I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom