• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
DragonKnight said:
Yes. I am of the mind that we really don't need anymore pokes. The next games should be about cleaning up the presentation, streamline the menus, hi-res sprites, making almost every single poke useful, and changing up the flow of the main quest. The main games need some side quests and distractions that can be done BEFORE beating the Elite four.

If they stopped arbitrarily taking out stuff i'd be happy, with battle frontier, pokemon contests, underground and secret bases and pokethon we'd have lots to do along side what we have now. I wish they'd put some effort in the stuff they introduce, like you wouldn't even know double battles existed anymore and apparently they only have three gender differences this gen,etc.

KingK

Achtius said:
Alrite, but unless you really want one now now, you will probably encounter several of them later in the game when going through different caves.

Ok, thanks. I'll just wait until then to catch one. I don't want him that badly I guess.

D-Pad

Teknoman said:
Battle Subway just seems more fun than the past areas. Maybe its the music/the fact we're fighting on a speeding train.

Also the prizes are nice and pretty inventive. Expecting some real wtf faces with air balloon and that absorb bulb. Oh and about those feathers on the drawbridge, do those effect EVs as much as vitamins?

I believe they add +1 EV.

Pyrokai

Is there any kind of tournament for people who aren't hardcore into training Pokemon with EV/IV stuff and such?

That sounds like my kind of tourney....

Izayoi

Banned
D-Pad said:
Ah I see. Thanks. Debating whether or not to replace Crunch with it...
Think of it this way.

The higher level the enemy the more effective it is. If you're planning on facing off against Pokemon way higher level than you, I would drop something for it (but not Crunch).

Also, Acrobatics just completely decimates the single-player game. Holy shit.

KingK

Achtius said:
Just pm me if you still can't find one and have wifi by then.

Alright. I'm going home tomorrow for Spring Break anyway, so I'll have wifi then. I've already added your Friend Code and I'll put mine on the list here once I'm able to connect.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
TheExodu5 said:
Caught a Bliztle. So awesome. ^_^

high five!

We started around the same time so this will be cool, where bouts you up to?

I just got the 2nd badge, here's my team so far

janobii.png
Servine level 20
pokemon_panpour.gif
Panpour level 17
blitzle-detail.png
blitzle level 19
roggenrola.jpg
roggenrola level 20

going to get Victini now to join the team, and then I'm going to decide on a pokemon who flies

D-Pad

Izayoi said:
Think of it this way.

The higher level the enemy the more effective it is. If you're planning on facing off against Pokemon way higher level than you, I would drop something for it (but not Crunch).

Also, Acrobatics just completely decimates the single-player game. Holy shit.

Yeah I'm already regretting overwriting Crunch. Move re-learner here I come.

And yes, Acrobatics is a treat for sores. :D

TheExodu5

Banned
HolyCheck said:
high five!

We started around the same time so this will be cool, where bouts you up to?

I just got the 2nd badge, here's my team so far

janobii.png
Servine level 20
pokemon_panpour.gif
Panpour level 17
blitzle-detail.png
blitzle level 19
roggenrola.jpg
roggenrola level 20

going to get Victini now to join the team, and then I'm going to decide on a pokemon who flies

I just reached the area with the tall grass (that's where I caught my Blitzle).

Oshawott - 15
Lillipup - 14
Pansear - 14
Roggenrola - 12
Woobat - 10
Blitzle - 12

I'll probably be keeping Oshawott, Lillipup (for pickup), Roggenrola, and Blitzle.

Pansear is awful in every way.

BTW can you ever change your Pokemon's ball? I caught Woobat with a Healball and it's annoying me.

HolyCheck

TheExodu5 said:
I just reached the area with the tall grass (that's where I caught my Blitzle).

Oshawott - 15
Lillipup - 14
Pansear - 14
Roggenrola - 12
Woobat - 10
Blitzle - 12

I'll probably be keeping Oshawott, Lillipup (for pickup), Roggenrola, and Blitzle.

Pansear is awful in every way.

BTW can you ever change your Pokemon's ball? I caught Woobat with a Healball and it's annoying me.

Nice, thats where I caught mine too, pleasently surprised with him too.

Other pokemanz, heres a Q, is it better off to let my pokemon evolve the moment it tries? or are their benefits to letting it stay young for another 10 levels or so and then letting him evolve? I havent played a pokemanz since red.

also whats all this IV or EV stuff you guys speak about, is it something I need to worry about as I game, or can I focus on it later say when I'm up to the elite 4, and prepared to use all my stat altering items then?

D-Pad

TheExodu5 said:

You could in the previous DS games, but I don't see the option on my PC so I'm guessing Game Freak cut that out as well. :\

You could place stickers on the balls to change the effect whenever they opened in battle.

Teknoman

Pyrokai said:
Is there any kind of tournament for people who aren't hardcore into training Pokemon with EV/IV stuff and such?

That sounds like my kind of tourney....

I want to say the first tournament GAF is having wont be super hardcore since it starts in April. I mean most of the people participating wont have had time to effectively EV train by then...right?

Either that or maybe there can be two different brackets/ Cups similar to Pokemon Stadium names?

Izayoi

Banned
D-Pad said:
You could in the previous DS games, but I don't see the option on my PC so I'm guessing Game Freak cut that out as well. :\

You could place stickers on the balls to change the effect whenever they opened in battle.
You could place Seals but you were never able to change what ball it was caught with. That stays the same forever.

Moral of the story is always keep at least 20 Premier Balls on you at all times.

D-Pad

Izayoi said:
You could place Seals but you were never able to change what ball it was caught with. That stays the same forever.

Moral of the story is always keep at least 20 Premier Balls on you at all times.

That's what I meant, yeah. My Pokemon each had a special combinations of seals that'd match their types and personalities. Loved those things. :D Hated gathering the seals though.

The only downside, and it was an enormously annoying downside, was that you'd have to first detach the ball capsule before you could deposit the Pokemon.

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
I want to say the first tournament GAF is having wont be super hardcore since it starts in April. I mean most of the people participating wont have had time to effectively EV train by then...right?

Either that or maybe there can be two different brackets/ Cups similar to Pokemon Stadium names?
I'm using the tournament as motivation to get my VGC team thought out so I can practice before US Nationals >.>

HolyCheck said:
also whats all this IV or EV stuff you guys speak about, is it something I need to worry about as I game, or can I focus on it later say when I'm up to the elite 4, and prepared to use all my stat altering items then?

No you dont have to ever worry about these things ever if you dont want to. They aren't that important for anything other than serious competitive battling.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I really can't wait to play this. My friend is gonna let me borrow his DSi indefinitely after he gets his 3DS later this month. And then IT'S ON. I'm still on media black out (except for occasional peeks in this thread). I really want to have a fresh Pokemon experience for a change.

Pyrokai

Teknoman said:

That would be cool! I'm all for being competitive, but when it comes to EV/IV stuff, it's just too much for me, and frankly, I don't understand it. Call me stupid but no matter how much I read about it, I never seem to grasp it.

Hell, I'm just now actually caring about natures, something the game blatantly tells you about :p

HolyCheck

DoomXploder7 said:
No you dont have to ever worry about these things ever if you dont want to. They aren't that important for anything other than serious competitive battling.
oh ok good, I was worried they might hamper my in game progress! thank you

Teknoman

Have the best spots for EV training been found? On that note, i've still got to wait for dream world to open so I can grow EV reducing berries, or is there another way now?

Manus

Man 4th gym leader was a letdown. She was so easy, I think I may be over leveled though. I'm using four Pokemon consistently and their all at level 27 right now. Am I over leveled to be where I'm at? If so I'll spread out some exp love.

D-Pad

WHOOP! I just found TM
24 Thunderbolt
while procrastinating! Screw victory road. Exploring actually has its rewards.

Izayoi

Banned
DragonKnight said:
It should only be activated with one hit KO's.
It shouldn't be activated ever.

And I just saw the Salamence can learn it via the Dream World?

Man, that's going to be a mess.

Firestorm

Pyrokai said:
That would be cool! I'm all for being competitive, but when it comes to EV/IV stuff, it's just too much for me, and frankly, I don't understand it. Call me stupid but no matter how much I read about it, I never seem to grasp it.

Hell, I'm just now actually caring about natures, something the game blatantly tells you about :p
EVs: Beating certain Pokemon increases certain stats. The more Magikarps you beat, the more your speed increases.
IVs: Which of your stats are naturally better than others.
Natures: A 10% boost to one stat and 10% decrease to another stat.

There's the basics!

DragonKnight said:
When the tiers go up is anybody gonna do a competitive battling thread?
You don't need tiers to battle competitively. Tiers are a result of competitive play. Not the other way around.

ivysaur12

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
If they stopped arbitrarily taking out stuff i'd be happy, with battle frontier, pokemon contests, underground and secret bases and pokethon we'd have lots to do along side what we have now. I wish they'd put some effort in the stuff they introduce, like you wouldn't even know double battles existed anymore and apparently they only have three gender differences this gen,etc.

Eh? There are more double battles in Gen V than any others, minus Colosseum and XD, thanks to wild double battles.

Firestorm

ivysaur12 said:
Eh? There are more double battles in Gen V than any others, minus Colosseum and XD, thanks to wild double battles.
Yeah, but considering they seem to balance the game more for doubles than singles, I really wish they made doubles the primary mode of combat in the game rather than singles =/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:

For the record I'm expecting to have at least 4 fully IV/nature bred, move taught, item holding, EV-trained Unova Pokemon ready for that tourney.

Izayoi said:
It shouldn't be activated ever.

And I just saw the Salamence can learn it via the Dream World?

Man, that's going to be a mess.

There are a lot of viable walls this gen though. Cloyster is back in a big, big way. Check out some of the OU analyses on the smogon forums.

Has anyway gotten to trade with the older games yet? It's been a while since I beat the main game with a Houndoom

Izayoi

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah, but considering they seem to balance the game more for doubles than singles, I really wish they made doubles the primary mode of combat in the game rather than singles =/
Doubles are still slow and clunky - triples even more so.

Until they speed those menus up doubles and triples will always take back-seat.

ivysaur12

Banned
Firestorm said:

While I would have enjoyed more double battles with trainers, and maybe a triple battle gym, I'm content that double battles have been much more accessible in this version. Though I do wish ALL battles in dark grass were double battles...

Scarecrow

Goddamn. There's so many cool new pokemon in this one. I don't know which to choose for my team. I think I'll keep my dildo mountain monster:
170px-526Gigalith.png

But I also want to keep my Walking Tall dude and build him up:
Dokkora.png

Gah, but there's also ice cream cones and trash bags and gears and ghost chandeliers. Too much awesome.

D-Pad

-Stranger- said:
Hmm i'm finding myself quite tempted to buy this, how does it compare to Pearl/Diamond ?

Diamond and Pearl were the worse of the DS bunch. Slow and bulky. Platinum fixed some things, HeartGold and SoulSilver fixed more, and these entries basically took things back to the drawing board and feel a hella more polished.

Also, imo, it feels more "matured".

ColtraineGF said:
If it's 'that' scene you're talking about:

Emotion

Better in almost every single way.

Love you. :____ }

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom