• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

I think I might play every Pokémon game (or at least the ones with significantly different plots) for the leadup to X/Y.

What game do you lot think I should play first?

Macka

I think I might play every Pokémon game (or at least the ones with significantly different plots) for the leadup to X/Y.

If you're going to play every game, might as well start with FireRed/LeafGreen.

Then HeartGold/SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum and B2/W2.

Skip all the past games, start with the Generation V duology. Pick a colour, then get both games of the same colour. You'll thank me later.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I am disappoint.

What does Serebii say about the most recent leak? Does he believe that there is still a possibility that we might get XY related news?

Is there a Coro Coro for next month, at least? (I thought I heard people saying there won't be one until May)

ash_ag

Start with FRLG or HGSS -- great remakes to the first two games, nicely polished and full of contentt. I guess HGSS might be the better choice because of online, but if you plan to play everything anyway, you will still be able to use your FRLG Pokémon in online battles, since they are transferable to Gen IV (DPPt and HGSS) games.

P.S.: Regarding CoroCoro; I don't follow the anime all that much, but I wonder if those Dekorora Islands are based on any real-world geography. Caribbean Islands would be perfect, considering they are near Unova, and a place that Game Freak won't touch any time soon.

Edit:
Is there a Coro Coro for next month, at least? (I thought I heard people saying there won't be one until May)

It will release normally as far as I know. You probably heard people hoping that info will be on the May issue, which releases in April. :p

Neo Child

Banned
I am disappoint.

What does Serebii say about the most recent leak? Does he believe that there is still a possibility that we might get XY related news?

few pages back

Refyref

Start with FRLG or HGSS -- great remakes to the first two games, nicely polished and full of contentt. I guess HGSS might be the better choice because of online, but if you plan to play everything anyway, you will still be able to use your FRLG Pokémon in online battles, since they are transferable to Gen IV (DPPt and HGSS) games.

P.S.: Regarding CoroCoro; I don't follow the anime all that much, but I wonder if those Dekorora Islands are based on any real-world geography. Caribbean Islands would be perfect, considering they are near Unova, and a place that Game Freak won't touch any time soon.

The anime doesn't really care about basing it's world after the real one. Same with all of the spin-offs. The only places really based on real-world locations are the ones created by Game Freak.

EDIT: Well, one could say Almia is based off somewhere, but that's just in its general shape rather than its contents.

ash_ag

The anime doesn't really care about basing it's world after the real one. Same with all of the spin-offs. The only places really based on real-world locations are the ones created by Game Freak.

I know, although Orre is also based on a real-world location -- though, arguably, it's not a spin-off region. But do note that the last (and only) time the anime writers actually invented a region was in the Orange Islands arc. Things have changed a lot since then.

Of course, geography of the anime and the main games is totally different. While I don't think the games go for a perfect mirror of our world with its regions (proportions, for example, are clearly different), the allocation the regions is definitely much closer to it than the anime's.

Refyref

I know, although Orre is also based on a real-world location -- though, arguably, it's not a spin-off region. But do note that the last (and only) time the anime writers actually invented a region was in the Orange Islands arc. Things have changed a lot since then.

Of course, geography of the anime and the main games is totally different. While I don't think the games go for a perfect mirror of our world with its regions (proportions, for example, are clearly different), the allocation the regions is definitely much closer to it than the anime's.

I know Phoenix was the inspiration of Orre, but you don't really see the influence there. Same thing for Almia, really.
All of GF's locations show their influence pretty heavily (Location of towns, the style of the buildings, the culture), even if they don't follow the real world exactly. (Desert in Unova, Hoenn being rotated, etc.)

JoeM86

I am disappoint.

CoroCoro comes out every month. Don't fret :)

ash_ag

I know Phoenix was the inspiration of Orre, but you don't really see the influence there. Same thing for Almia, really.
All of GF's locations show their influence pretty heavily (Location of towns, the style of the buildings, the culture), even if they don't follow the real world exactly. (Desert in Unova, Hoenn being rotated, etc.)

I'm not very familiar with Phoenix itself, but I do know that deserts are prominent in Arizona, just like in Orre -- the general climate and geography are similar, really. I also believe it pays some homages to a few real-world locations, with things like Mt. Battle (versus the Phoenix Mountains) and Phenac City (versus Phoenix City). No one has really investigated Orre too much, so, there may be references still not caught.

That makes me hope for an HD Collection of the Orre games... I hope it's not too much for them to rework some mechanics so that the games brought to the current Pokémon standards. I'm also sure many haven't played Colosseum and/or XD.

CoroCoro tricked us... i want their heads.

image.php

zroid

Banned
I wonder if Ubisoft will use the delay to resurrect the NFC idea for Rayman Legends on Wii U. Including a free NFC compatible toy with every copy of the Wii U version may aid in bringing them back in my good graces.

Ondore

I am so going to go broke if they go full out with the figures...

There's 815 figures they could do (all Pokemon, all forms, gender differences), and shiny ones for all of the same. Works out to about $3400 if all the figures are 200yn each.

So basically, it'd be like buying a loaded iMac or a Mac Pro.

JoeM86

There's 815 figures they could do (all Pokemon, all forms, gender differences), and shiny ones for all of the same. Works out to about $3400 if all the figures are 200yn each.

So basically, it'd be like buying a loaded iMac or a Mac Pro.

Thankfully, they're not doing that.

We have 7 figures at launch. I'm assuming we'll get a similar amount of new ones every 2 to 3 months for a year

I wonder if I'll ever be seeing these figures.

If you EVER want to play the past games, DON'T do this.

That is, if you really want to play the past games. I'd advise not going earlier than Platinum.

Hmm... I think I have a bent pin problem on my 3DS itself. Now I have to charge it upside down.

It won't be too soon before the pins themselves give, and I'll have two more charges (I have a spare battery) before my 3DS is permanently retired. Looks like it's time to go shopping for a 3DS XL. Guess I won't be playing much Pokémon for a while.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm gonna make a bet and say before next month's CoroCoro, we'll have a Nintendo Direct where XY makes an appearance.

*nods*

Stage On

I told you guys that the Corocoro news wouldn't' be worth work getting worked up about

Thankfully, they're not doing that.

We have 7 figures at launch. I'm assuming we'll get a similar amount of new ones every 2 to 3 months for a year

It's the small amount of figures that has me tentatively wanting to get them. I mean if it they had one for each Pokemon my poor wallet would explode.

Watch Da Birdie

I actually get depressed when we don't get XY News...probably because it's the only thing I have to look forward to lately since I graduated college and haven't found a good job yet.

My goal is to either get accepted into a Grad School or get a better job by the time XY comes out, or else I feel like I'm stuck in arrested development.

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I know no one wants to hear Sylveon rumors/speculation anymore, but I wanted to post some ideas of my own that I discovered tonight that might not have been touched on so frequently.

Sylveon's name is derived from the meaning "nymph", and just by reading a little bit about nymphs on Wikipedia, I've come to understand more the design aesthetics and meanings/significance of Sylveon in X and Y.

"A nymph (Greek: νύμφη, nymphē) in Greek mythology is a minor female nature deity typically associated with a particular location or landform. There are 5 different types of nymphs, Celestial Nymphs, Water Nymphs, Land Nymphs, Plant Nymphs and Underworld Nymphs. Different from goddesses, nymphs are generally regarded as divine spirits who animate nature, and are usually depicted as beautiful, young nubile maidens who love to dance and sing; their amorous freedom sets them apart from the restricted and chaste wives and daughters of the Greek polis. They are believed to dwell in mountains and groves, by springs and rivers, and also in trees and in valleys and cool grottoes. Although they would never die of old age nor illness, and could give birth to fully immortal children if mated to a god..."

This ties into Sylveon's appearance in the new side movie. In the movie, we see Sylveon on a lush, floating island in the sky. She appears to be cheerful, amorous, free-spirited, and alluring. Sylveon is most likely evolved in a specific locale in X and Y. I am also lead to believe that Sylveon will only appear as female, given what it represents. Sylveon exists as a symbol for fertility, and it's no wonder with our new X and Y theme and legendaries. Will Sylveon be the first Pokemon that can mate with a legendary? - That's probably a far stretch, but who knows? Will Eevee have to be evolved in the presence of Xerneas in the specific locale in which Xerneas resides? Does this mean we will receive a male equivalent Eeveelution?

With all of this, it still begs the question, what type will it be? I can't think of a single type that I can definitely say it is. Flying is a possibility, but gives little credence to what Sylveon represents. Normal can be chosen to indicate neutrality and focus more on Sylveon's feminity as being more of its type in a pseudo-sense, as well. Or perhaps a new type that symbolizes what Sylveon does/is. If so, what would that be? Fairy? Fertility? Horny/Slutty (Ditto-Type)?

What do you guys think? :)

tumblr_mj9hr7mfgT1qckwxco1_500.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I've seen speculation about Xerneas being based off Diane (color scheme is a bit...moon-like, and her animal is a deer) and Yveltal being based off Apollo (appears in front of the sun in the trailer, Apollo represented by animals, including a griffin, which would fit Yveltal's mane and claws), so, yeah, I think we might see a Greco-Roman theme in the game perhaps as opposed to the Norse Theme everyone jumped on. Would make sense with the games being based on letters of the Latin Alphabet.

I also saw something the other day about Sylveon perhaps being fairy-like as a pun and it's actually a Bug-type, because in Japan fairy and larva are both "yosei" and we've got the butterfly imagery going on. I wouldn't mind Bug-type.

Steel
Normal
Fighting
Bug
Poison
Dragon
Flying
Ground
Rock
Ghost

Take your pick people. Sylveon is one of these so you have a 1/10 chance of being right.

Top Bottom