• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

beje

Banned
Ok, what's up with the BW2 GTS and the "This Pokémon was already traded to another trainer" stuff? I get it in 90% trades I try to do yet the offered Pokémon will stay there for a long time.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yo, Joe, whatever happened to "mystery Pokemon" like next weekend's and such being revealed via trademarks?

Back during the pre-DP days, when we got the silhouettes of movie Pokemon in CoroCoro, I remember people always within a few days found the names of the New Pokemon via those trademark sites. Like, it happened with Manyula/Manene/Usohachi and Buizeru/Tamanta/Perrapu I recall.

How come that never happens anymore? Having the names to speculate with always made it funner, imo.

JoeM86

Yo, Joe, whatever happened to "mystery Pokemon" like next weekend's and such being revealed via trademarks?

Back during the pre-DP days, when we got the silhouettes of movie Pokemon in CoroCoro, I remember people always within a few days found the names of the New Pokemon via those trademark sites. Like, it happened with Manyula/Manene/Usohachi and Buizeru/Tamanta/Perrapu I recall.

How come that never happens anymore? Having the names to speculate with always made it funner, imo.

They seem to have trademarks filed ahead of time, but not publically accessible until after the reveal. For example, two weeks ago the Nymphia trademark got revealed.

I check every Tuesday for new trademarks so don't worry, if anything does come I will spot it

Watch Da Birdie

JnE3V5Gl.png

Which is your favorite GAF? I saw a version of this with the weird, black spider Gen V one, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I like Gen IVs. It's probably the truest though, there's a lot of dark-purple/fat Pokemon in that Gen. Gen I is pretty accurate as well, except maybe they should've added an extra head.

I don't quite get Gen II or III though...I can see which Pokemon inspired them, but they don't seem as "that's so true!" like I and IV.

Watch Da Birdie

They seem to have trademarks filed ahead of time, but not publically accessible until after the reveal. For example, two weeks ago the Nymphia trademark got revealed.

I check every Tuesday for new trademarks so don't worry, if anything does come I will spot it

Oh, I guess they realized they were being leaked?

I was browsing through it myself, and I found quite a few names that sounded "Pokemonish" and had the same form that Nymphia was registered in, but they all ended up being cosmetic products.

MikeMyers

It is a great privilege to be Flareon.

Flareon was my highest level Pokemon in Leaf Green.

Surprisingly good movepool too: Flamethrower, Iron Tail, Shadow Ball (physical in Gen 3), Return. It can even run Dig or Hyper Beam, being that the AI isn't smart enough to switch out on Dig and the game offers you a free switch out after you OHKO with Hyper Beam.

Firestorm

What does PokeGAF think of Pokemon Adventures manga? Its my favourite adaption of the series by far.
I've only got up to Ruby/Sapphire but it's awesome. Gonna buy the Advance series when I can. Only own RBY right now. Blows the anime out of the water and really the only Pokemon thing I follow aside from the mainline games and TCG.

What does PokeGAF think of Pokemon Adventures manga? Its my favourite adaption of the series by far.

Really fun to read. The characters are great and I definitely like how much it follows the games while also sometimes having its own plot as well.

Definitely like that Viz is stepping it up this year in releasing it too.

MikeMyers

I'm reading the GSC portion, it makes me want to replay Heart Gold even though I beat it all last month. Dragon Dance Gyarados is too broken.

Maybe I'll do it again, with a different team so Pokemon I didn't use last time.

Thyplosion
Quagsire
Ampharos
Scyther
Victrebel
flier

I'm reading the GSC portion, it makes me want to replay Heart Gold even though I beat it all last month. Dragon Dance Gyarados is too broken.

Maybe I'll do it again, with a different team so Pokemon I didn't use last time.

Thyplosion
Quagsire
Ampharos
Scyther
Victrebel
flier

Dragon Dance Gyarados let my team beat Lance about a dozen levels too early. It was awesome.

Ice Fang EQ Waterfall was fun

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I never liked the manga series. The anime is stupid but at least it's stupid fun. The manga made me roll my eyes occasionally.

I mean really? Legendary birds mashfest? Time suspension?

So outside of the Pokemon Adventures Manga GSC, what others are worth picking up? The Diamond/Pearl saga?

I like the D/P series, since it is a fresh reboot of the series. The dynamics at the start are definitely interesting since it has all three of the heroes travelling together for a bit so there's more interactions among themselves instead of seeing two or three stories at once.

B/W is probably the weakest one since it is playing heavily towards Black's gimmick and White hasn't been of much use so far.

Stage On

I never liked the manga series. The anime is stupid but at least it's stupid fun. The manga made me roll my eyes occasionally.

I mean really? Legendary birds mashfest? Time suspension?

The manga has so many odd delightful little things like the Gym badges being more then just a lump of plastic in the first gen or having people be members of team rocket that aren't memembers in any other continuity.

It's sad how long Viz took to finally start getting it together and release stuff like the Gold and Silver and Ruby and Sappire chapters years after the fact. Thank to that I had to go with the Signapor version back in Highschool and I've stuck with that on ever since despite the high cost.

Cheska

I like the D/P series, since it is a fresh reboot of the series. The dynamics at the start are definitely interesting since it has all three of the heroes travelling together for a bit so there's more interactions among themselves instead of seeing two or three stories at once.

B/W is probably the weakest one since it is playing heavily towards Black's gimmick and White hasn't been of much use so far.

Yeah, DPPt is absolutely amazing. Dia and Pearl are an amazing combo.

YAY! Glad I picked up the DPPt saga as well then. I didn't enjoy the games at all honestly but maybe this will encourage me to give them another shot.

zroid

Banned
Hmm I stopped reading Adventures around Vol 12 of the original series (thought the plot was getting too insane and convoluted), but you guys convinced me to give the DPPt series a try.

Stage On

If your going to read the DPPt saga you might want to back track and read the previous saga's as well.

I'm not going to spoil anything but it's not really a self contained reboot.

Watch Da Birdie

The worst part about Adventures is how the writer has the bizarre need to fit every little video-game thing in it, and then connect all the stories as well. He also sucks at endings...Gen II's is probably the worst, with the dumbest villain excuse I've ever seen in a manga.

It gets downright weird in the later chapters. Doesn't help that the Japanese releases are spread across multiple magazines and often out of order, so you need to wait for the big volumes to even get a decent sense of time progression.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, Electric Tale of Pikachu is the best of the mangas, if only because it uses the anime but at the same time makes it work much better. I knew it'd be superior when Satoshi caught the Fearow.

And yeah, that's why I also hate the manga - HAH ALL GEN I GYM LEADERS ARE SECRETLY EVULZ

Boss Doggie

Also anyone saw April Fools Day post of Pokemon in facebook? POKEMON ACADEMY!

If only it were real. I can pretty much imagine the student cliques in there. From genwunners to Karen-ists.

Top Bottom