• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Robin64

worry not as your day shall come... just hope its not during battle subway lol

Knowing my luck, I'll finally come across my first shiny and it will be a bloody Garchomp.

1K186.png

Worst shiny ever? I reckon so!

OMG Aero

Knowing my luck, I'll finally come across my first shiny and it will be a bloody Garchomp.

1K186.png

Worst shiny ever? I reckon so!
In White I hatched a shiny Joltik which evolved into this:
0SlPH.png

Why do they even make shinies like this? I understand not wanting to make every shiny a drastically different colour scheme but at least make it so it's noticeably different in battle without having to see the sparkle when it's sent out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pokémon Black: 674 Hours.

Pokémon Platinum: 217 Hours.

Pokémon Diamond: 678 Hours.

Pokémon Pearl: 262 hours
Pokémon SoulSilver: 375 hours
Pokémon Platinum: 49 hours
Pokémon White: 150 hours

Total: 836 hours

Bought Platinum a couple months after SoulSilver just to keep the rush going. Should replay it one of these days.

Robin64

Pokémon Pearl: 262 hours
Pokémon SoulSilver: 375 hours
Pokémon Platinum: 49 hours
Pokémon White: 150 hours

Total: 836 hours

Bought Platinum a couple months after SoulSilver just to keep the rush going. Should replay it one of these days.

And your shiny finds, kind sir?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A Gyarados in SoulSilver and I think, maybe, a Bidoof in Pearl, but I don't think I have it anymore. I can't say I've ever conclusively found one in the wild ever.

Suairyu

Banned
White: 108 hours
White replay: 12 hours

Red: We're probably talking close to 1000 hours given I used to replay the entire game frequently, getting the full 150 each time by borrowing my sister's Blue. Had I actually gotten to go to a Mew event one time and reached 151 I would have considered the game 'beat' and not replayed it nearly as much. My inability to ever finish the game is what made me constantly play it.

Maybe 15 hours for Gold.

Nothing for the in-between.

Suairyu

Banned
You guys are making me feel weird.

I've probably put 300+ hours into every Pokémon game I've ever owned (excluding Gold).
I'll be putting a lot more into White once I'm done with my replay. I never got properly stuck into the post-game. You'll have a friend in me.

Wiseblade

The only reason Platinum didn't hit 300 hours is because I bought it so late. If I bought it at launch both it and Diamond would have been at ~400 hours.

Suairyu

Banned
How did you fill most of that time? Whatever Battle Frontier equivalent existed in each? Or are you massive into online battles?

Robin64

I imagine you can spend way longer than that if you're into making "perfect" Pokemon. Hatching thousands for the highest IVs you can get, EV training, etc. The long lonely grind..

Wiseblade

How did you fill most of that time? Whatever Battle Frontier equivalent existed in each? Or are you massive into online battles?

I spent a lot of Gen IV on GameFAQs doing random battles, yes. But the biggest amount of time was spent breeding/ EV training. I'd just but be doing it while I did other thigs like watching TV, doing homework or playing other games.

My 3DS is never off, always in sleep mode. I play it while I'm watching movies on my computer, waiting for the three years required to find another 3rd Lord in UMvC3, eating anything, taking the bus to my parent's house, and instead of sleeping. I must've logged over 1000 total hours into the Pokémon series as a whole.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I've probably put 300+ hours into every Pokémon game I've ever owned (excluding Gold).

I'd probably put that in if I really ever tried to get all the Battle Frontier/Subway prints. As it stands I only cracked 300 in SoulSilver because of the Pokeathlon.

upandaway

I somehow end up owning most of the doubles which I always put between 50 and 100 hours into. I think I put around 250 hours into White, don't remember the rest.

I do remember though at some point I calculated around 3000 hours into the first generation, but I don't even remember how I did it

ffdgh

anything below outstanding is usually a slap to the face for me.

or the usual outstanding poke with the wrong nature......

Wiseblade

anything below outstanding is usually a slap to the face for me.

or the usual outstanding poke with the wrong nature......

They've got to have the right nature and ability for me to even bother checking IVs. Why bother otherwise? You'll just get yourself depressed.

Younicorn

Neo Member
I've personally never seen a shiny in the wild.

My little brother SWORE he saw one once, of course he didn't catch it and thought it was an in game error...

That being said, the fact that I hatched a shiny Feebas with above average IV's was a miracle. Although his personality wasn't what I desired, the fact that he was shiny and had strong IV's from all the breeding I'd done made me feel good enough.

*pours out some Sugar Free Red Bull in his memory

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"This Pokémon's potential is decent all round"

Ugh, that's like a slap in the face.

"It's strongest in Attack. Its HP is good too. So is its Defense. So is its Special Defense. It can't be better in that regard."

Then I walk out filled with SWAG.

"This Pokémon has overall superior potential. It's best strength lies in it's Attack. It couldn't be better in that regard. It's defense is good, too."

That's the moment I realized that my positive attack nature Scrafty with Moxie as its ability (caught in a random encounter on Route 4, with no save scumming for nature) was something that only came along once in a blue moon.

I love him so much.

hmm that reminds me... i need to breed a dragon dance scrafty

Naw, dawg. The moveset of a truly beastly Scrafty is as follows:

Hi Jump Kick
Crunch
Stone Edge
Dragon Claw

Throw a Wide Lens into the mix and YOU'RE THE BEST! AROUND! NOTHIN'S GONNA EVER BRING YOU DOWN!

Suairyu

Banned
So the event Pokémon with special moves - are they usually of quality IV stock or do you then have to egg-breed them a million times to get it right?

Top Bottom