• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ffdgh

Man, there's this guy named Demitri here, and he scares me. I think he has Kyogre, Heatran, Mewtwo, Salamence, Mienshao, and Conkeldurr. Arceus help me if I need to face him...

hmm starmie can handle heteran,salamence,meinshao,conkeldurr by itself lol

scrafty for mewtwo/heteran

everything else for kyogre

Suairyu

Banned
OKAY I WILL DO IT FOR YOU SUAIRYI BECAUSE YOU ARE AWESOME
yHuVD.gif

Alright, two matches left in Round 1, then a 20-minute team-editing break before I'm on again for Round 2. My opponent is named Erik, I think, and from what I saw from his match, he rocked a pretty killer Magnezone.

Wiseblade

Mewtwo will kill his team. Psychic/Psystrike and Aura Sphere will kill pretty much everything. Jolteon should at least tie with it, so you have a chance to paralyse it before it dominates you.

ffdgh

Mewtwo will kill his team. Psychic/Psystrike and Aura Sphere will kill pretty much everything. Jolteon should at least tie with it, so you have a chance to paralyse it before it dominates you.

oh yeah.....tho i doubt mewtwo has it. hopefully anyway lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Well, Starmie can handle these Pokemon if it's already in. Starmie can't switch into Salamence barring Fire Blast (dies to once Danced Mence, or Draco Meteor, or Outrage). Conkledurr threatens with Payback, or Stone Edge, or setting up a Substitute on the switch.

You also don't want Starmie to have to handle three quarters of the other team, because even if it does switch into Conkeldurr and loses half its health in a winning effort, it's going to be much tougher to keep switching into other threats unless your opponent is terrible.

And Scrafty does not handle Mewtwo. Scrafty does not come close to a OHKO with its STAB Crunch without holding a Choice Band. And in return is destroyed by Aura Sphere. Likewise, if Mewtwo has a moveset just for coverage, Psychic, Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball will basically have a clean sweep. If only Scrafty had Sucker Punch.

I haven't actually seen Mewtwo in action yet (I just read his tournament registry), so hopefully he didn't grind it up to Level 100 for Aura Sphere. Plus. I can use his knowledge of my team to my own advantage. Assuming his Mewtwo does have the moveset you guys are talking about, he will probably put it in first to sweep my team. If I put Jolteon in first, then I can Paralyze him and then let Shadow Ball do all of the work. What I'm worried about is Salamence. I think it has Fire Blast AND Hydro Pump :<

Wiseblade

oh yeah.....tho i doubt mewtwo has it. hopefully anyway lol

Chances are it's the event Mewtwo that was just given out, in which case it absolutely has the coverage to sweep the whole team.

A Scarfed Kyogre spamming rain-boosted Water Spout would also be a major hassle for the team. Salamence is still a major threat too, especially with Starmie wearing choice specs. It's would definitely have major issues taking on half the team when it's locked into moves.

Remember, we DO get breaks in between rounds to switch up our parties, so if I do have to face him (and lord knows I hope I don't) then I can swap out the Specs for something less restricting, like an expert belt or a berry of some kind.

backlot

I haven't actually seen Mewtwo in action yet (I just read his tournament registry), so hopefully he didn't grind it up to Level 100 for Aura Sphere. Plus. I can use his knowledge of my team to my own advantage. Assuming his Mewtwo does have the moveset you guys are talking about, he will probably put it in first to sweep my team. If I put Jolteon in first, then I can Paralyze him and then let Shadow Ball do all of the work. What I'm worried about is Salamence. I think it has Fire Blast AND Hydro Pump :<

I don't know, I don't think he'd try to sweep right away. He'd probably save it for last and try to weaken your Pokemon as much as possible before Mewtwo comes out. Interesting that he has Kyogre and Heatran on the same team. Drizzle will neuter Heatran pretty badly, I'd think.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't know, I don't think he'd try to sweep right away. He'd probably save it for last and try to weaken your Pokemon as much as possible before Mewtwo comes out. Interesting that he has Kyogre and Heatran on the same team. Drizzle will neuter Heatran pretty badly, I'd think.

Could be something like Torment Heatran, or Toxic Stalling? I saw this as well, so I'd be interested in the moveset. It could also just be the battler is not exactly thinking about the team when selecting his Pokemon. :p

OMG Aero

Man, there's this guy named Demitri here, and he scares me. I think he has Kyogre, Heatran, Mewtwo, Salamence, Mienshao, and Conkeldurr. Arceus help me if I need to face him...

EDIT: aaaaaaand, he just crushed a grown man 6-0. My future looks bleak T_T
Does he look like this?
EgHwd.jpg

My round 2 battle is over! Vittoria per gli Scraftini!

...but seriously, this guy must've been, like, 16, and yet he still thought it was a good idea to switch an Aerodactyl into a Scizor...

derp-19.jpg

Wiseblade

Could be something like Torment Heatran, or Toxic Stalling? I saw this as well, so I'd be interested in the moveset. It could also just be the battler is not exactly thinking about the team when selecting his Pokemon. :p
That's my guess, unless there's another reason for putting Mienshao and Conkeldurr on the same team.

Could be running something like half Trick Room, just in case he needs it. I've no clue. Team looks mostly just thrown together.

I can't really say for sure, but maybe the back half of his team is an emergency protocol in case his Legendaries get KO'd and the opposing team is still healthy? Mawk Pawnch Conkelderp can be very scary if not properly dealt with.

Jesus, Demitri just slaughtered another team using only 2 of his Pokémon. Now that I've seen it in action, it appears that Mewtwo know Psychic, Shadow Ball and Trick, and has a Choice Scarf. Still not sure what its last move is. Kyogre knows Ice Beam, Thunder, Hydro Pump and Sheer Cold. Derp derp derp derp derp

backlot

Could be running something like half Trick Room, just in case he needs it. I've no clue. Team looks mostly just thrown together.

My thoughts as well. He has Kyogre with drizzle but nothing else on his team takes advantage of rain. No other water types, no swift swimmers. It's a missed opportunity for him, really.

Edit: If his Mewtwo is running scarf I'd say you want to paralyze it as soon as possible. That sheer cold Kyogre could be problematic though.

I need to go do some fine-tuning, so there'll probably be radio silence from my end until Round 3. I need to figure out which of my Pokémon can beat each of Demitri's should we fight.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
One billion percent chance that using Hydro Pump over Surf (or Water Spout), will cost him in the end.

My thoughts as well. He has Kyogre with drizzle but nothing else on his team takes advantage of rain. No other water types, no swift swimmers. It's a missed opportunity for him, really.

Well, his Kyogre is using Sheer Cold, so I'm not exactly expecting rocket science from this guy.

Just finished my Nuzlocke run in Red. Team was all low 50s.

Charlie - Charizard

Gene - Jolteon

Gandalf - Kadabra

Flounder - Gyarados

Hippie - Vileplume

Douglas - Dugtrio

Powering through the E4 was easier than I thought it'd be. The only one I lost against anyone was Gene, and that was against Gary.

Significant for me because I never actually beat Red/Blue without cheating of some kind.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sorry for this scrubby question but, you are allowed to use Legendaries in tournaments?

It depends on the tournament. VGC for instance bans a little over a dozen Pokemon (Kyogre, the base level 100s like Mew and Jirachi), but you are free to use other legendary Pokemon like Articuno and Heatran for instance.

Sorry for the prolonged period of silence, folks. Due to frustratibg circumstances such as technical difficulties, a way-too-long lunch break and a screening of the latest episode of the animé, Round 3 is just now starting. I'm up against one of the only girls in the tournament, who is interstingly using a team of all Eveelutions. Wish me luck!

Wiseblade

You guys say that as if eeveelutions are terrible. Jolteon, Vaporeon, Umbreon, Leafeon and Magic Bounce Espeon are definitely good Pokémon, capable of giving an unprepared team serious hassle. Glaceon needs a team built around it and Flareon... is Flareon.

OMG Aero

Sorry for the prolonged period of silence, folks. Due to frustratibg circumstances such as technical difficulties, a way-too-long lunch break and a screening of the latest episode of the animé, Round 3 is just now starting. I'm up against one of the only girls in the tournament, who is interstingly using a team of all Eveelutions. Wish me luck!
Is this an opening to talk about that episode? Because I just finished watching it and it once again confirms Cilan for being the best character in the series right now.
Only he could carry an episode about stamp collecting and trains.
yXfvk.jpg

And that's that. Looks like I'm going to the finals!

I was surprised how competent my opponent, Kate, was. The battle wasn't so much about how many Pokémon we had left, but who controlled the flow.

Top Bottom