• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Bah, I am so salty right now.

Demitri's my opponent in the finals, but he didn't deserve to win his match. He managed to cheat his way through with his Kyogre getting Sheer Cold KOs on TWO of his opponent's Pokémon...

I need to win this. I need to show him that this kind of thing will not work more than once.

Send me your spirit, friends and fellow Pokébros, for in a mere 20 minutes, I will spit in the face of legends.

No longer surprised by how easily you can lose a battle when your opponent has the right moves to control battle flow and take advantage of speed boosts and other stuff. That shit made Marshall a real pain-in-the-ass for me. Good luck in the finals!

I want the Game Freak sound team to collaborate with some other big-name Japanese musicians, like Hitoshi Sakimoto and Yasunori Mitsuda, on a big Pokemon music arrange album, just once if not more. The arrangements featured at the end of the official B/W music album were really great, especially Go Ichinose's (confirming once more that he does the best town themes in forever). Having already made peace with myself over the many possible reasons why B/W was Shota Kageyama's big break, I can say with certainty that the GF sound team is better than ever, and an arrange album could reflect that quite well.

—On another note: D/P's music is seriously screwed-over by the sound quality. You see, it's in that special gap between having grainy, albeit stylized and well-accompanying sound samples (a la R/S/E and FR/LG), and having clear, slick-sounding sound samples (a la everything post-Shota joining Game Freak, post-D/P). So, even though some of the compositions in the game are outstandingly-good, it happens to be the one game in the franchise that's simply painful to listen to at times. It's a good thing they brought Shota along, because he's much better with setting up sequencing systems for the rest of his crew, and that's also why he did a lot of nice-sounding, straight-up arrangements for HG/SS. And his stuff sounds the best out of all the compositions done for B/W, even though his material is quite variable itself.

That article is really annoying. EVs and IVs are perfectly-fine, and you don't have to take advantage of their systems to play competitive—it simply helps against more dedicated players. IVs also add another big reason to get into breeding, and they add a more intimate, distinct element to each separate Pokemon. And implying that breeding breeds shitt communities is a bunch of dingus, because game mechanics are far less damaging than petty people and stupid members and all that. The rest of the stuff is fine and rather interesting, but Game Freak does want to be able to market their "default" character designs a lot, and I can't see a Custom Gym being worthwhile in a mainline game. It could be a really cool simulation-style spinoff, though! I'd love to play scenarios focused around managing the gyms of Leaders like Erika (she's actually a businesslady in secret!), Roark, Wallace, and others.

backlot

Demitri's my opponent in the finals, but he didn't deserve to win his match. He managed to cheat his way through with his Kyogre getting Sheer Cold KOs on TWO of his opponent's Pokémon...

I need to win this. I need to show him that this kind of thing will not work more than once.

Send me your spirit, friends and fellow Pokébros, for in a mere 20 minutes, I will spit in the face of legends.

Good luck. I hope you've come up with good strategies to get through Kyogre and Mewtwo.

My stratgey for Kyogre: Teach my Starmie and Jolteon Thunder so I get 100% accuracy.

My strategy for Mewtwo: Pray that it doesn't have Aura Sphere and send in Scrafty to deal with it.

Well, It's time for me to go fight Demitri for the title.

Send me your prayers, comrades, for I will need every one.

EDIT: Oh god. OH GOD. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES. They're playing this as our fight music!

HERE I COME

Is this an opening to talk about that episode? Because I just finished watching it and it once again confirms Cilan for being the best character in the series right now.
Only he could carry an episode about stamp collecting and trains.
yXfvk.jpg
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Cilan > *. He gets better later on, too.

Best of luck. The hopes and dreams of PokéGAF lie with you!

Sofo

GL Scrafty! Also thanks for the help, peeps!

Pd. My Jirachi is from an event, does that mean it's likely to be a failure in the future? >: I'm such a noob, haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue and then Gold, but just for a little while! I was so much better at it as a kid!

butbutbutbutbut Masuda method!

No buts. Having listened to some more of the D/P soundtrack, it really is a showcase for Go Ichinose's ability to make amazing music even with shitty samples and compromised instrumentation. The piano stuff is all marvelous, and the Lake theme is just amazing. Shame about the saxophones, and Hitomi Sato's inability to make memorable material outside of Route 201.

Ladies and gentlemen, friends and comrades.

It's been a long few days, with several hours spent training and grinding, planning and plotting.

I'd like to thank all of those who gave me suggestions and ideas, and who gave me support.

Wiseblade, OMG Aero, ffdgh, backlot, Suairyu, Andrex, Billychu, Dragoon En Regalia, Curly0mess. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I wouldn't have made it as far as I did without you guys.

In the end, in a glorious act of hubris, I looked legends in the eye and challenged them.

And

I

Won.

Whew, I was half expecting old scrafty to get Ash Ketchum'd out of that tournament, legends slain! (and thoroughly drenched from being spat at)

Boogiepop

Awesome. I remember going to a PBR Gamestop tourney back in the day, only to find out that the store was allowing legendaries (after we specifically asked them and they said otherwise). I got crushed in the second round thanks to some 30 year old guy using super IV/EV'd Mewtwo and Kyogre. Of course I was something of a noob and my team was pretty much just trying to hope for Ninjask evasion abuse to come through (which it totally did against some kid and his legendaries), but it was still frustrating.

Wiseblade

Ladies and gentlemen, friends and comrades.

It's been a long few days, with several hours spent training and grinding, planning and plotting.

I'd like to thank all of those who gave me suggestions and ideas, and who gave me support.

Wiseblade, OMG Aero, ffdgh, backlot, Suairyu, Andrex, Billychu, Dragoon En Regalia, Curly0mess. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I wouldn't have made it as far as I did without you guys.

In the end, in a glorious act of hubris, I looked legends in the eye and challenged them.

And

I

Won.

Congrats! this is the part where you give a play-by-play and tell us you saved the match.

I'm really sorry guys, but I didn't save any of the three matches. This was not an accident, but a conscious choice, as the match I have saved right now has EXTREME sentimental value to me. I hope you all understand.

However, I DID take pictures of my amazing prize and they let me keep a copy of the tournament ladder, plus I'm working on the play-by-play right now.

Thank you all SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for all of your support. BELIEVE!

OMG Aero

I'm really sorry guys, but I didn't save any of the three matches. This was not an accident, but a conscious choice, as the match I have saved right now has EXTREME sentimental value to me. I hope you all understand.
Just for future reference, if you upload your own recorded video online, you can enter the code it gives you and add it to your list of three downloaded videos as if it was someone else's video. So if you don't want to save anyone else's videos you can use this to have a backup of three of your own videos as well as the one in your part of the Vs Recorder.
Oh and congratulations on winning, was the legendary guy actually a smart battler or someone who just got as far as they did because their team was full of legendaries?

Oh and congratulations on winning, was the legendary guy actually a smart battler or someone who just got as far as they did because their team was full of legendaries?

Thanks for the advice; I'll be sure to keep that in mind for later.

If you're talking about Dmitri, he was a total fraud. No inert battling strategy, he basically just brute-forced his way through the rankings. He really should have lost his semi-final match, but he got lucky Sheer Cold KOs TWICE.

Top Bottom