• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
except that if you played normally, it would take you months to actually get those Pokemon. hundreds of days to get all of them.

Kept you coming back for more. And it's not like you needed to do anything during that time. Just let it do its things in the background, and if you planned it right, you could get most of them in a few months.

I'd need to refresh my memory, but I recall preferring the Red and Blue Safari Zone over the Gold and Silver one.

Infinite Dratini fishing commence.

Probably the case, since Gold and Silver never had a Safari Zone.

Gravijah

Right, you abandon the game after the first two weeks. I like to keep playing year-round.

no, i generally replay the games throughout the year. that's not abandoning. i went through DP like 5-10 times.

i just don't like being held back by time in something like Pokemon. i want to be working on catching stuff.

Kokonoe

Banned
In-game Dragonite is outclassed by Gyarados, especially as only LT Surges Raichu has Thunderbolt in RB, where as there is an entire E4 member with Ice moves.

I've never really had issues with playing either of the Pokemon games with just random pick up teams. I never plan anything, and the only time I run into issues is when I'm unfamiliar with the typing of new Pokemon.

The only time I concern myself with stuff such as that is after the game when I play against other players. I haven't been at a competitive level though since original Gold and Silver.

MikeMyers

I've never really had issues with playing either of the Pokemon games with just random pick up teams. I never plan anything, and the only time I run into issues is when I'm unfamiliar with the typing of new Pokemon.

The only time I concern myself with stuff such as that is after the game when I play against other players. I haven't been at a competitive level though since original Gold and Silver.

Yeah, but I've been playing R&B for 12 years, so the surprise factor has been way too saturated.

I'd need to refresh my memory, but I recall preferring the Red and Blue Safari Zone over the Gold and Silver one.

Infinite Dratini fishing commence.

And if you were lucky...Dragonairs! Too bad both were really frustrating to catch...but that's the Safari Zone for you. *Never did see a Tauros there*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
no, i generally replay the games throughout the year. that's not abandoning. i went through DP like 5-10 times.

i just don't like being held back by time in something like Pokemon. i want to be working on catching stuff.

Working on catching stuff is exactly what the HGSS Safari Zone is about!

MikeMyers

555480_3602267895058_138786401_n.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HGSS safari zone is the best minigame/side area thing the series had ever done to that point.

So many awesome third and fourth gen pokemon for only a little work each day.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HGSS safari zone is the best minigame/side area thing the series had ever done to that point.

So many awesome third and fourth gen pokemon for only a little work each day.

I wouldn't say the best minigame, I mean HGSS also had the Pokeathlon (which is king.) Safari Zone gets too much hate though.

Hoehn should have had a fishing contest of sorts. The Bug Catching Contest was pretty fun in HG/SS and the Pokeathelon was pretty great too, I wish it would make a comeback quite honestly.

MikeMyers

Hoehn should have had a fishing contest of sorts. The Bug Catching Contest was pretty fun in HG/SS and the Pokeathelon was pretty great too, I wish it would make a comeback quite honestly.

What would be the options?

Wingul / Peppiler
Tentacool / Tentacruel
Magikarp / Gyarados
Carvna / Sharpedo

Wailmer
Spheal
Luvdisc
Feebas (Super super rare)
Clamperl
Corphish

To name a few. Maybe a few Pokemon from Gen 1 and 2 but it should mainly have Hoehn species.

MikeMyers

Wallace can be the host of it.

Who do you think would win, Wallace (Milotic/Whishcash/Gyarados/Tentacruel/Wailord/Ludicolo) or Steven (Skarmory/Cradily/Aramadlo/Aggron/Metagross/Claydol)

My money is one the dude with the cape.

Wallace and Juan get to be co hosts...and perhaps other water gym leaders from other regions can sometimes enter as well.

And as much as I dislike him being the Champ, I think Wallace's team could beat Steven just because Gyrados can use Earthquake and that takes care of a lot of problems.

I finally got the black trainer card! Hooray for me. I've never finished a trainer card before. I thought the Entralink Pass Powers would take forever to unlock, but it was actually quite easy.

I still need to get the trophy for a win streak on the Battle Subway Super Multi Train. It wasn't required for the trainer card upgrade, but I want that last item for my bedroom.

And I still need the last three event Pokemon. Thankfully Keldeo is coming soon.

But what I'm really getting at is it's time for Gen VI. :/

I don't need it. I don't need it. I don't need it... I don't... need... I do... I do...

I DO NEED IT!

*buys a 17" Victini plushie, and it just shipped, along with a 8" Zorua*

I think I'm falling in love with Pokemon plushies after the perfect Turtwig...

Wichu

But what I'm really getting at is it's time for Gen VI. :/

I'm reasonably confident we'll start seeing Gen 6 stuff early next year, for a late 2013 (Japan)/early 2014 (rest of world) release (i.e. Gen 5 only lasts 3 years).

Time to randomly pull Gen 6 predictions
/wishlist
out of my ass:
  • 3DS exclusive (duh)
  • Can trade up from Gen 5
  • Pokédex 3D models in battle :)
  • In fact, all sprites are replaced with 3D models :(
  • Battle screen shows field effects (rain, barriers, entry hazards etc), like in Battle Revolution
  • Still no 6v6 random matchup (singles will be limited to 3v3 and doubles to 4v4 as Battle Revolution and B/W) :/
  • Seasonal changes return and are more glorious than ever (i.e. affect more than just two or three routes)
  • Secret Bases return
    I wish :(
  • Assign HMs/items to buttons on the touch screen
  • More freedom of exploration after the linearity of Gen 5 (maybe the ability to go off the predefined routes?)
  • A city you can walk all the way around (like Castelia but circular)
  • Some form of level scaling for enemy Pokémon
  • CO-OP MODE
    local wireless only
  • Return of rental Pokémon - maybe a rental-only online mode
  • Jungle area because we haven't really had one yet
  • Infinite-use TMs stay; HMs can be deleted more easily
  • New HMs, and more uses for existing ones
  • LUCK SHOULD TOTALLY BE A STAT LIKE IN OTHER RPGS
  • Puzzles involving ciphers/foreign languages
  • At least one important double/multi battle like in R/S/E/D/P/Pt
  • Randomly generated post-game dungeon(s)
  • Scientist Gym Leader
  • World Tournament returns, not only Gym Leaders and Champions
  • IT'S NOW LOCATED IN THE BATTLE FRONTIER!
  • Legendary on top of a mountain
  • Ancient ruins (OK, this should be obvious - we've had them in every game since Gen 3)
  • Romance between two NPCs
  • More Gym Leader story involvement
  • More crazy familial treachery like
    Ghetsis/N
    in B/W
  • Customisable Poké Balls (return of Ball Seals?)
  • No new alternate forms of old Pokémon
  • Except a third bird-like Giratina form in the R/S/E remake (where Dialga/Palkia/Giratina will be catchable)
  • Arbitrary screwing with evolution levels for game balance (the only non-starter Fire-type in D/P takes 33 levels to evolve? WTF)
  • 250-300 Pokémon in regional dex
  • ~150 new Pokémon
  • Lots of split evolution lines!
  • Evolutions of old Pokémon!
  • Several different evolution animations
  • Ghost/Dark event legendary
  • Badass Poison/Dragon type
  • An unobtainable non-event legendary
  • An ability that lets you use moves at times when you normally couldn't
  • Fire-type starter doesn't become Fighting type
  • One of the starters becomes Dark-type
  • More cool Bug-type designs
  • A non-starter three-stage Grass/Fire/Water trio
  • A move with the side-effect of not allowing the user to switch after use
  • A fifth weather condition (sixth if you count fog)
  • More crazy 'Room' moves
  • An item that taunts the holder, vying with Ring Target as the gimmickiest item in the game
  • A Focus Band ability
  • Support for sound-based moves
  • An attack called Cold Snap
  • Lucario/Zoroark counterpart is Psychic-type
  • Cute rodent Pokémon with round cheeks
  • European dragon based Pokémon
  • Sun/moon based Pokémon (legendaries?)
  • Whimsicott is still the cutest Pokémon
  • A crappy new battle type involving moving your Pokémon around the battle area

EDIT: More ideaspredictions:
  • Streamlined interface that will take some getting used to
  • Item crafting from berries/ores/random other items
  • A Bug/Psychic type
  • A lantern bug Pokémon
  • More spider-based Pokémon (you can never have too few spiders)
  • I did say 'more awesome Bug-types' already, so I'll stop there
  • Another man-made Pokémon
  • Travel into the in-game interwebs to see Porygon in its natural habitat!
    Pokémon X Digimon crossover :p
  • A legendary/ies based on semi-obscure deities
  • A steampunk Pokémon
Let's see if I actually get any right. What does everyone else want/expect in Gen 6?

Wichu

I personally dislike the idea of 6 vs 6 Pokemon, but I also dislike 3 vs 3 as well. 2v2 is enough in my opinion.

What. Why.

Oh, I see what you mean. That's not what I meant actually; I'll edit it to make it clearer.
I meant you won't be able to use 6 Pokémon in random Wi-Fi matches; it will be the current system of having to pick three Pokémon to use in a single battle (or four for a double battle) rather than having access to your whole team of six.

Zeroth

I'm reasonably confident we'll start seeing Gen 6 stuff early next year, for a late 2013 (Japan)/early 2014 (rest of world) release (i.e. Gen 5 only lasts 3 years).

Time to randomly pull Gen 6 predictions
/wishlist
out of my ass:
  • Secret Bases return
    I wish :(
  • Some form of level scaling for enemy Pokémon
  • LUCK SHOULD TOTALLY BE A STAT LIKE IN OTHER RPGS
  • Evolutions of old Pokémon!
  • Several different evolution animations
  • Ghost/Dark event legendary
  • Whimsicott is still the cutest Pokémon

Everything shown above won't happen. Except for secret bases, since they will make their triumphant return in the RS remakes with StreetPass/Spotpass features.

I reckon that Gen VI will have older evolutions, but only for Gen V Pokemon. Audino and Swoobat evos are likely, I'm guessing.

Galvantula could use an evo.
I kinda wish every gen has a game which goes the BW route with regards to old Pokemon. Shit feels super fresh and awesome.
I dunno. I really enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed seeing some of my favourites getting improvements in Gen IV. I do like a good evo.

I kinda wish every gen has a game which goes the BW route with regards to old Pokemon. Shit feels super fresh and awesome.

As in to ignore them entirely throughout the main game? I agree if so.
Plus it means more chances for a Bat pokemon that I actually like a lot, unless Gliscor counts, that guy is the nuts.

Gravijah

there is room for both and i'd like them to go between using both.

though i definitely prefer only new Pokemon throughout the main game.

there is room for both and i'd like them to go between using both.

though i definitely prefer only new Pokemon throughout the main game.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, new Pokemon throughout the "main game". Then use the other games in a generation (your remakes, sequels and what have you) to bring the old dudes back into the party, like BW2 is doing.

Only being able to catch new pokemon on your first playthrough was awesome and a really good idea but on your fifth and sixth playthroughs it gets a bit annoying.

Kokonoe

Banned
As far as showing older Pokemon in the initial playthrough, one part of me likes the idea of seeing them because Pokemon is suppose to be a worldwide thing, and not seeing any trainers with any previous Pokemon seems rather odd, as if they don't even exist.

On the other seeing nothing but the newer Pokemon is neat just for the fact that it's new. I don't mind either or, though. To be honest, I've never really noticed these things until this thread(including in black and white), so it's just been off my radar I suppose.

Evolutions, new forms, and adding on to existing legendaries I tend to like a lot actually, and I hope there is some of this in the next-gen. It was one of the super special awesome things about Diamond and Pearl.

Wiseblade

Hell no. It's a new generation; I want to see the new Pokémon. If I wanted to catch and play with all my old favourites, I'd go play one of the older games. GF should be encouraging people to try out and fall in love with the new roster rather than letting them fall back onto something familiar.

Which is why it always annoys me when I see people post stuff like "Hey I just bought White can someone trade me a Charmander and a Pikachu?". It's just missing the whole point of a new generation.

Hell no. It's a new generation; I want to see the new Pokémon. If I wanted to catch and play with all my old favourites, I'd go play one of the older games. GF should be encouraging people to try out and fall in love with the new roster rather than letting them fall back onto something familiar.

Which is why it always annoys me when I see people post stuff like "Hey I just bought White can someone trade me a Charmander and a Pikachu?". It's just missing the whole point of a new generation.

Yeah, I mean each to their own I guess but doing the rounds with the same pokemon and especially the same starters across multiple generations just sounds horribly limiting to me, hell Primeape may be my favourite pokemon but i've yet to use it outside of Red/Fire Red.

MikeMyers

Entei and Flareon should fuse.

HP: 115
Atk: 130
Def: 85
SpA: 95
SpD: 110
Spe: 100

Has Flareon's Atk, SpA, and SpD but Entei's HP, Def, and Speed.

Top Bottom