• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Kokonoe

Banned
No I've been looking around, they're all in English. You can find the card for like $15 but I'm just gonna get the whole thing for $30-$40.
http://www.serebii.net/TCG/Southern_Islands/01-mew.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm talking about the style of holographic. I'm not sure if you can tell from the images, but actually looking at the card it is quite different. The card I posted is the holographic I'm referring to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember designing a game based on Southern Islands where you played as Mew way back in the day.

If only Nintendo paid attention to me then, it would have been one of the better spinoffs fo sho. :(

Hey, a question that is bound to be fun! What starter would you like to be if you're one?

Charmander line so when I grow up big and strong I can fly! kneel before me ground peasants. Plus in Charmeleon stage i'd just laze around on rocks sunning it up while looking awesome because i'd be a damn Charmeleon.

Runner up being the Piplup line, water will be no fear for me, steel defences ensure I laugh in the face of danger and tweak the nose of terror, intimidation factor of blade wings and trident beak repel those that dare to look at me cock eyed, fake sense of nobility,a pretty cushy life really.

Speaking of Ash, is there anywhere out there that has a complete list of Pokemon Yellow anime references? I'm a bit of a dork about this whole thing, especially since I was a huge fan of the anime when I was a kid (and Yellow was a dream come true.) Going off my memory from the English version and what I'm currently seeing in the Japanese version, I've got...

-Pikachu being your starter, following you around and disliking you at the start.
-Pidgeotto catchable in Viridian Forest, along with Caterpie.
-Brock and Misty get their anime clothing (and Misty has a new pose, too.)
-Brock states his dream is to become a Pokemon breeder.
-You can fight Team Rocket with their team of Ekans, Koffing and Meowth. Ekans and Koffing eventually evolve, but they don't get any other Pokemon.
-Get a Bulbasaur from a woman who takes care of Pokemon.
-Get a Charmander from a (much kinder) guy.
-A male and female trainer have a Weepinbell and a Cubone, but they make romantic references to each other and don't really sound like their characters from the anime, even in the Japanese version.
-Get a Squirtle from Officer Jenny
-Lt. Surge only has a Raichu.
-You find a Youngster (strange...) who has a Sandshrew with 100 wins...or was it 99? Whatever.
-Erika's team is Weepinbell, Tangela and Gloom.
-Sabrina has an Abra, a Kadabra....er....and an Alakazam...? Well, I guess they had to make her difficult.
-Koga has several Venonats and a Venomoth...but no Golbat.
-You can catch Grimer and Muk in the Power Plant. Magnemites are there too, but maybe they were already there in Red/Blue.

I think that's where the anime references stop. The game was released near a filler episode about Clefairy vs. Jigglypuff, but with the Porygon incident taking the anime off the air for a few months and messing up their entire schedule, I guess it's impressive that they could reference up to episode 30 of the anime here and there.

If there are any other Yellow/anime fans, is this list missing anything?

Wiseblade

Charmander line so when I grow up big and strong I can fly! kneel before me ground peasants. Plus in Charmeleon stage i'd just laze around on rocks sunning it up while looking awesome because i'd be a damn Charmeleon.

Runner up being the Piplup line, water will be no fear for me, steel defences ensure I laugh in the face of danger and tweak the nose of terror, intimidation factor of blade wings and trident beak repel those that dare to look at me cock eyed, fake sense of nobility,a pretty cushy life really.

Fake? Fake?!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Speaking of Ash, is there anywhere out there that has a complete list of Pokemon Yellow anime references? I'm a bit of a dork about this whole thing, especially since I was a huge fan of the anime when I was a kid (and Yellow was a dream come true.) Going off my memory from the English version and what I'm currently seeing in the Japanese version, I've got...

-Pikachu being your starter, following you around and disliking you at the start.
-Pidgeotto catchable in Viridian Forest, along with Caterpie.
-Brock and Misty get their anime clothing (and Misty has a new pose, too.)
-Brock states his dream is to become a Pokemon breeder.
-You can fight Team Rocket with their team of Ekans, Koffing and Meowth. Ekans and Koffing eventually evolve, but they don't get any other Pokemon.
-Get a Bulbasaur from a woman who takes care of Pokemon.
-Get a Charmander from a (much kinder) guy.
-A male and female trainer have a Weepinbell and a Cubone, but they make romantic references to each other and don't really sound like their characters from the anime, even in the Japanese version.
-Get a Squirtle from Officer Jenny
-Lt. Surge only has a Raichu.
-You find a Youngster (strange...) who has a Sandshrew with 100 wins...or was it 99? Whatever.
-Erika's team is Weepinbell, Tangela and Gloom.
-Sabrina has an Abra, a Kadabra....er....and an Alakazam...? Well, I guess they had to make her difficult.
-Koga has several Venonats and a Venomoth...but no Golbat.
-You can catch Grimer and Muk in the Power Plant. Magnemites are there too, but maybe they were already there in Red/Blue.

I think that's where the anime references stop. The game was released near a filler episode about Clefairy vs. Jigglypuff, but with the Porygon incident taking the anime off the air for a few months and messing up their entire schedule, I guess it's impressive that they could reference up to episode 30 of the anime here and there.

If there are any other Yellow/anime fans, is this list missing anything?

You can't catch any team Rocket pokémon. Giovanni now has a Persian in his Gym battle.

OMG Aero

I hope they will put it on the eshop because I never really beat it, I borrowed my cousin's cart. :/
Stupid question, but there aren't any rights issues with that game that would stop it going on the eShop (since that was from the time that Wizards of the Coast did the TCG) are there?

I'd love that game on the 3DS because it was awesome but I have a horrible feeling that it will never come either due to rights issues, Nintendo being Nintendo at online services or just because the cards and/or rules are outdated so they don't want to promote them.

Zeroth

Stupid question, but there aren't any rights issues with that game that would stop it going on the eShop (since that was from the time that Wizards of the Coast did the TCG) are there?

I'd love that game on the 3DS because it was awesome but I have a horrible feeling that it will never come either due to rights issues, Nintendo being Nintendo at online services or just because the cards and/or rules are outdated so they don't want to promote them.

I don't think Wizard had or has any effect on the status of the game. If anything, the lack of it in the eShop is a result of Nintendo being lazy with its portable titles, specially the pokemon ones.

This may be a touchy topic, but would anyone mind a serious revamping of the EV/IV system?

I like the concept but the execution is ridiculous. I wish there was more strategy involved in how you train/conceive your pokemon and less grinding/chance. It's just too time consuming to seriously pursue and make multiple teams.

This may be a touchy topic, but would anyone mind a serious revamping of the EV/IV system?

I like the concept but the execution is ridiculous. I wish there was more strategy involved in how you train/conceive your pokemon and less grinding/chance. It's just too time consuming to seriously pursue and make multiple teams.

The IV system, sure. The EV system is fine as is.

backlot

I think the current system leaves plenty of room for strategy in how you decide to EV/IV your Pokemon but I agree the grinding sucks. The way GameFreak takes tiny steps towards making breeding/EV training easier with each new game release makes me wish they'd just get it over with and let me just set a Pokemon's IV's and stuff without all the hassle.

Xux

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. I'd

-ditch Pokemon giving spec specific EVs and have them drop neutral ones that can be applied and changed however you'd like outside of battle
-lower the total amount of IVs a Pokemon can have and make every Pokemon have that amount so it's not all or nothing and let them be customizable or influence-able through breeding
-have Natures be selectable through breeding in a similar way to IVs
-have Abilities and learned Moves customizable for free from the Pokemon menu or at a Pokemon Center or whatever random limitation people want

Firestorm

Natures is actually easier to get through breeding now. IVs are ridiculously annoying - especially now that there's starting to be some strategy with regards to what your speed IV is.

I love the idea that every pokemon is "unique" and that the type of opponent you fight affects your pokemon in certain ways.

I think that if the game acknowledged this more in the UI it would be more accessible. Also I wish you had even more influence on how your pokemon is bred. Certain locations maybe host different natured pokemon, different pokemon you have in your party while they hatch, stuff like that.

And please let them hatch faster.

Another question for you guys!

If you're stuck as one forever, what final Dragon-type Pokemon would you like to be?

384Rayquaza.png

Not my favorite dragon, but would be awesome to be.

Top Bottom