• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Toxi

Banned
Hey Gamefreak, you know what might have made the Battle Frontier fun for players of all skill levels?

Difficulty settings.

Hey Gamefreak, you know what might have made the Battle Frontier fun for players of all skill levels?

Difficulty settings.

They already have something similar, tbh. Normal and Super challenges at the maison. Normal being the "haha, eat this you scrubs" and Super being the "friggin hax, this game sux".

Toxi

Banned
Not only the Exp Share, many other things that happened in this and in past gens. Infinite TMs, free legendaries
(Lati@s)
, fly to any place, etc.
Infinite TMs and fly-to-any-place are great changes that don't really do much to the difficulty; they just streamline the game.

Exp. Share is a fine idea that's placed way too early in the game.

Free legendaries... Yeah, those are just dumb. Part of the problem with focusing on legendaries for the story.
They already have something similar, tbh. Normal and Super challenges at the maison.
Oh yeah, they do.

However, I was thinking something a bit on the easier side. Give people of lower skill level the ability to enjoy the Frontier with handicaps of some kind.

DaBoss

Well that sucks...

Makes me worry about whether something like PWT will happen again.
Also this probably explains the new Exp Share
Not only the Exp Share, many other things that happened in this and in past gens. Infinite TMs, fly to any place, etc.
Now, now, let's not berate them for amazing changes.

If you used EXP Share during the main game, that's all on you. Though an option for the old EXP Share should exist in some form.

The only way to get a challenge from the main game as a Pokemon veteran is to limit yourself (though the gym leaders in ORAS were terrible).

Yes.

Also this probably explains the new Exp Share
No, the question that this question refers to explains the new Exp Share:
Q:We noticed ORAS had a lower difficulty level compared to previous Pokemon games.
What bought you to this decision?
Any chance that future games will have the possibility to adjust difficulty level as seen in Black and White 2?
A:What? How come you've already played the games? *hearty laughter*
[the games were supposed to come out in Italy the day after the interview]
We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past.
The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.
Also, do keep in mind that they only had a year to make the game, and yes, this was confirmed in the interview that's in the official strategy guide. Their real reason for cutting the Battle Frontier was likely that they had limited time and resources and felt that not enough people would play through the Battle Frontier to make it worth it.

Muku

I guess what boggles my mind is they think they're catering to short term players? Talking about having smartphone games and all, and that somehow everyone limits their time to a single game to play mobile or something. I'd rather spend time with a game on my 3DS that has oomph to it than my phone for something piddly. Especially on a train ride. I just don't get their thinking.

Now, now, let's not berate them for amazing changes.

I'm not going to say that I didn't like some of those changes, because I would be lying. But it did in fact make the game easier (I still remember grinding to get multiple Ice Beams / Thunderbolts / Flamethrowers)

Oh yeah, they do.

However, I was thinking something a bit on the easier side. Give people of lower skill level the ability to enjoy the Frontier with handicaps of some kind.

To be quite honest with you, the only thing that could make normal mode easier is letting people use items, like give them 5 hyper potions and 5 full heals per match or something like that.

Firestorm

Maybe Nintendo should make like Activision and split Call of Duty Pokemon between two developers so they can actually spend significant time on them.

Or stop releasing a game every fucking year.

Also, do keep in mind that they only had a year to make the game, and yes, this was confirmed in the interview that's in the official strategy guide. Their real reason for cutting the Battle Frontier was likely that they had limited time and resources and felt that not enough people would play through the Battle Frontier to make it worth it.

I mean if they said that, that would have been understandable.

Which would also explain why there's a bunch of things that feel 'lazy' in this game. (gym leaders rosters, move tutors being copy and pasted from b2/w2)

Toxi

Banned
To be quite honest with you, the only thing that could make normal mode easier is letting people use items, like give them 5 hyper potions and 5 full heals per match or something like that.
Anything to keep the Battle Frontier in the game.

Though by the sounds of it, this whole difficulty thing might just have been a bullshit excuse.

MicH

Maybe Nintendo should make like Activision and split Call of Duty Pokemon between two developers so they can actually spend significant time on them.

Yes please. I wouldn't mind seeing a different developers take on these games. I'm kind of tired of Gamefreak right now. So many lacking features

Firestorm

Which would also explain why there's a bunch of things that feel 'lazy' in this game. (gym leaders rosters, move tutors being copy and pasted from b2/w2)
Move tutors are basically pasted going back at least as far as HGSS x.x
One of my biggest complaints about the move tutor system is that instead of doing a progressive system where they add a few move tutors every generation for lasting change, they just give us and take away the same ones each time a new game comes out.

DaBoss

I'm not going to say that I didn't like some of those changes, because I would be lying. But it did in fact make the game easier (I still remember grinding to get multiple Ice Beams / Thunderbolts / Flamethrowers)
Grinding =/= harder

What I don't get is that I thought they had 2 teams. I'm guessing the teams aren't large enough for 3D games.

Toxi

Banned
I think this wasn't an issue with 2D games; it only became an issue after the move to 3D. 4th and 5th gen have their share of issues, but they don't feel incomplete. Even Diamond and Pearl with their monstrous technical problems had plenty of content.

Battle Chateau was fucking amazing.

I'm surprised they didn't copy and pasted that into this game. Sure, make a new building or something and de-French it to fit in this non-French region.

Move tutors are basically pasted going back at least as far as HGSS x.x
One of my biggest complaints about the move tutor system is that instead of doing a progressive system where they add a few move tutors every generation for lasting change, they just give us and take away the same ones each time a new game comes out.

Oh, I didn't know it went that far back. Makes all the talk about oh boy, can't wait to see what new move tutors will bring to help Pokemon even more silly.

I'm surprised they didn't copy and pasted that into this game. Sure, make a new building or something and de-French it to fit in this non-French region.

I just imagined a Battle Chateau but with the looks of the new Elite Four, something like those old japanese castles.

Muku

Amen to this. I'd love to see it split between two devs. But more than that, I think we can do without a game every year. I understand they did the remakes to make it accessible for folks who never played them the first time, but feel like it's a bit much at this point. I mean technically, as has been pointed out here before, what's next? G/S because those remakes were on GBA and no longer accessible? It's going to be this long awful string where we keep moving to something new that is going to make them keep doing remakes. I'm not saying all remakes are bad, but I'd kind of like some new stuff.

Edit: Plus, I'd love for a dev to pick good parts about old games and actually make them standard. Communication tools for online, where art thou? Oh yeah, stuck in B/W gen because in X/Y they felt like we didn't need to have some form of communication with strangers we were trading with. Herp.

Edit: Plus, I'd love for a dev to pick good parts about old games and actually make them standard. Communication tools for online, where art thou? Oh yeah, stuck in B/W gen because in X/Y they felt like we didn't need to have some form of communication with strangers we were trading with. Herp.

heart-small-icon.png

SeZMehK

Caught all the fairies, dogs, ho-oh, palkia and groudon in luxury balls with good natures and ivs... I think I'll continue the story now. Lol

Diamond and Pearl remakes will probably be just remakes of those games with no changes from Platinum and more cut content. :(
Depends on how much time the devs get. Assuming those games are made, if they get just a year again then that should be expected. If they get a proper amount of development time though then they'll likely put in a lot of the Platinum stuff.

I question how gamefreak thought anyone would find that freaking scanner in sea mauville without looking online or crazy luck.

Funnily? I found the Scanner without even meaning too. I was looking for Lugia's mirage spot, and just came across it by chance. I didn't know you needed the Tidal Bell. XD

entremet

I loved Pokemon World Tournament in BW2. I had a blast with that content.

The White Treehollow was great for grinding, but it sucked to complete.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
At this point I'm way more excited for stuff like Pokken and Detective Pikachu compared to the main games.

I like the Pokemon world, I like the characters, and I like the Pokemon---ORAS is pretty good so far at building a fun world to explore---but yeah, the actual game isn't as fun as it once was.

Firestorm

Rayquaza - #384 (Adamant)
HP: 30 - 31
Att: 22 - 24
Def: 5
SpA: 26 - 27
SpD: 30 - 31
Speed: 30 - 31

Ew but I really don't feel like doing this repeatedly for something that's almost definitely not going to be legal in the forseeable future so guess I shall keep it.

I did not expect how easily Lati@s comes into your possession.

Nor how long the damn cutscene is until you can actually check its stats :E

I was planning to beat the E4 over this weekend, but I managed to get a Protean Froakie through Wonder Trade! Since Greninja is one of my all-time favorite Pokemon I decided to level him as well for the finale.

Planning to start breeding him once I have the E4 down, so I will hopefully be able to share some Protean Froakie's with the rest of GAF soon. :)

DaBoss

Nearly done with the legendaries. Just have Groudon, Deoxys, and Giratina as ones I don't really care in terms of stats. Then there are the 3 Regis and Regigigas which won't be too important to get good IVs for.
I was planning to beat the E4 over this weekend, but I managed to get a Protean Froakie through Wonder Trade! Since Greninja is one of my all-time favorite Pokemon I decided to level him as well for the finale.

Planning to start breeding him once I have the E4 down, so I will hopefully be able to share some Protean Froakie's with the rest of GAF soon. :)
Make sure to beat Steven's last Pokemon with Greninja.

Nearly done with the legendaries. Just have Groudon, Deoxys, and Giratina as ones I don't really care in terms of stats. Then there are the 3 Regis and Regigigas which won't be too important to get good IVs for.

Make sure to beat Steven's last Pokemon with Greninja.

?

Any special reason?

Bleeether

I imported my level 100 Bisharp with False Swipe into ORAS.

It makes catching pokemon so easy because you can get them to 1HP and never faint them.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Possibly a dumb question, but several of the secret base trainers have mentioned something to do with magnemites and having multiple battles in a row.

Unfortunately, I've been mostly mashing A through their dialogue, is there an equivalent to the restaurants in X/Y, or is it just the one outside slateport?

Top Bottom