• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Hagi

I just found out about wonder trade and the wonders it holds. I can see why people get addicted to the lottery. After about a hundred ralts I got a ditto, charmander, froakie, torchic, treecko and a Lapras all in quick succession :D

Azuran

Banned
I just found out about wonder trade and the wonders it holds. I can see why people get addicted to the lottery. After about a hundred ralts I got a ditto, charmander, froakie, torchic, treecko and a Lapras all in quick succession :D

At least Synchronize Ralts are useful so if that's the "junk" they're sending these days, then it's already way better than XY and its Bunnelby army.

Yrael

At least Synchronize Ralts are useful so if that's the "junk" they're sending these days, then it's already way better than XY and its Bunnelby army.

Unfortunately the vast majority of them are sent with Trace.

(Also, some passerby randomly gave me a Groudon yesterday for free. Wut.)

SRing for a shiny Cresselia, around 120 so far
I didn't plan on doing it, and I didn't really want to do it, but I'm doing it
Arceus help me

SRing for a shiny Cresselia, around 120 so far
I didn't plan on doing it, and I didn't really want to do it, but I'm doing it
Arceus help me

Good luck, I'm trying too, but almost giving up. I want to do something else with the game, and I've been soft resetting since I finished Episode Delta.

MayMay

Banned
Hey guys - I guess I can assume most ppl here also played XY? I have a question..

I basically didnt play Pokemon since Diamond/Pearl - and I'm about to buy myself a nice 3ds.

Should I get X/Y or OR/AS? Pokemon Ruby might be my favourite Pokemon game, so a remake of that is very tempting.. but I'm not sure if i should play X/Y before that - seeing as there's probably loads of new stuff that I might not be familiar with.. What do you guys think?

Muku

Hey guys - I guess I can assume most ppl here also played XY? I have a question..

I basically didnt play Pokemon since Diamond/Pearl - and I'm about to buy myself a nice 3ds.

Should I get X/Y or OR/AS? Pokemon Ruby might be my favourite Pokemon game, so a remake of that is very tempting.. but I'm not sure if i should play X/Y before that - seeing as there's probably loads of new stuff that I might not be familiar with.. What do you guys think?

If you really enjoyed R/S, then you're probably okay with going with it. Do note there are some changes and all.
Mauville is the worst change I've seen so far.
I wasn't a fan of R/S so I still prefer XY over ORAS, but thing I will give ORAS is all dem legendaries in-game.

StoneFox

If you are into the main campaigns, XY's was rather uneventful and the region itself--while pretty--feels emptier than other regions. ORAS simply has more stuff to do and most of the player base is going to be there.

Unless you really want the XY legendaries, I would go with ORAS instead. XY and ORAS are very similar mechanically, but ORAS has more Megas (including all the ones from XY) and move tutors which XY lacked for no apparent reason.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
oh sweet I finally made a team on Showdown that I really like! I need to re breed for a new Salamence, but I think it will be worth it :)

Alright cool. Would any old Khan work, or should I breed for one?
Best to get a perfect one to one shot like everything after PUP.

Get XY.

ORAS Pokemon variety is ass.

is there a rule for determining what ability a pokemon will get when it evolves if it has multiple in its first stage? I want a Milotic with Competitive, but I'm not sure how to secure that.

is there a rule for determining what ability a pokemon will get when it evolves if it has multiple in its first stage? I want a Milotic with Competitive, but I'm not sure how to secure that.
Each stage of a mon typically has an Ability 1, Ability 2, and a Hidden Ability. Competitive is Milotic's Ability 2, so you want a Feebas with its Ability 2, which would be Oblivious.

Azuran

Banned
I want to build a hail team for some unspeakable reason even I don't know about, but I have no idea if Walrein is still a decent tank these days. I also just want to kick some ass with Mega Abomasnow.

Dryk

I want to build a hail team for some unspeakable reason even I don't know about, but I have no idea if Walrein is still a decent tank these days. I also just want to kick some ass with Mega Abomasnow.
With the changes to Overcoat and the introduction of Safety Goggles Hail is a lot easier to make a diverse team with than ever before

Azuran

Banned
Yea but have you seen that Special Attack stat? Just imagine shooting off STAB Blizzards with perfect accuracy with a SpAtk stat like that. So good.

Already imagined plenty of those great visuals. Either way, I'll probably still breed one even if it doesn't land on my original team. Gotta have that variety.

Also, just noticed Reuniclus would be good as well, so I'm wondering how it's it like running both weather and Trick Room at the same time? Mega Abomasnow is slower than molasses, so it would be awesome so have that going as well, but I don't know how complex that gets and it's not like I'm the best battler around.

If you use Glaceon you gotta put intense pressure on your opponent with its partner. Try to put them in a "If you want to get rid of this thing you're gonna lose a mon in exchange" situation if you can.

There's also putting a Choice Scarf on it for lulz.

If you use Glaceon you gotta put intense pressure on your opponent with its partner. Try to put them in a "If you want to get rid of this thing you're gonna lose a mon in exchange" situation if you can.

Seconded. Glaceon has some crazy raw power, but it's super frail and has awful typing. Gotta protect it.

Also: Try Clefable in hail and report back. I've been meaning to do this.

Toxi

Banned
Playing Pokemon Y, my charmander looks a little more lightly colored than I'm used to, how can I tell if it's shiny?
Thanks. I don't see a red star so it must not be shiny. Oh well. It's just lightly colored which threw me off. Thanks bro.
The Pokemon colors are really washed out in the 3DS games for some reason. Pokemon that normally are bright colors (like Swampert's bright blue) look rather pallid.

Kinokou

I don't know about pressure, but I teamed one up with a dragon dance Whiscash quite successfully for some casual double matches back in gen4.

Yrael

The Pokemon colors are really washed out in the 3DS games for some reason. Pokemon that normally are bright colors (like Swampert's bright blue) look rather pallid.

I noticed this especially with Paras. Games up to and including Black 2 / White 2:
Spr_5b_046_s.png

3DS:
paras.gif

It doesn't help that the shiny version from games prior to X/Y looks like this:

Spr_5b_046.png

StoneFox

Thinking about it, but that HP stat scares me D:
What I tended to do was give mine a Focus Sash. My favorite battle was getting my Glaceon a safe switch in and my opponent switched out to a Moltres. He used Fire Blast when I selected Mirror Coat, anticipating a special attack. Focus Sash kicked in, and the Moltres was OHKO'd. Some players never see it coming but it's admittingly a risky move to play. But Glaceon does have the most powerful Blizzard in the game and can be quite useful if it never gets hit (unfortunately plenty of stuff out-speeds it). I wish Game Freak would buff Ice typing but nearly everyone runs something that is super effective to it :/

MicH

I really want to get into doubles. I'm just so used to play singles and foibles are so different. So much more strategy is involved.

I noticed this especially with Paras. Games up to and including Black 2 / White 2:
Spr_5b_046_s.png

3DS:
paras.gif

Spr_5b_046.png
Yep. Every time I see Paras I think it's shiny

Muku

Spr_5b_046_s.png

3DS:
paras.gif

Spr_5b_046.png

Every time I see a Paras I take a double take. What is with this washed out colors on the 3DS? I feel like the colors used to be nice, now they just look like ass.

Every time I see a Paras I take a double take. What is with this washed out colors on the 3DS? I feel like the colors used to be nice, now they just look like ass.
As far as I can tell it's to match the Sugimori art better.

In some cases, like Lucario, they succeeded.

In other cases it's, um... Paras.

Top Bottom