• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Noobcraft

What's up with Mew's Fire Red pokedex entry? "A POKéMON of South America that was thought to have been extinct. It is very intelligent and learns any move" is that real?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
What's up with Mew's Fire Red pokedex entry? "A POKéMON of South America that was thought to have been extinct. It is very intelligent and learns any move" is that real?
Uh oh, sounds like someone needs to watch Pokemon: The First Movie.
Edit: I guess it was in Mewtwo Returns instead

spiritfox

There are mentions of South America throughout Pokemon Mansion way back in RBY. They never retconned it, if they wanted to.

GBA--Pokemon%20Ultra%20Violet_Mar8%2013_08_38.png

edit: It's legit, it's also in pokemon stadium screens

Noobcraft

GBA--Pokemon%20Ultra%20Violet_Mar8%2013_08_38.png

edit: It's legit, it's also in pokemon stadium screens
Wow. I remember seeing it flying through space and thought it might be one of those space based Pokémon but now I have absolutely no idea lol. A Pokémon game based in South America with jungle environments and long rivers would be neat though.

one_kill

Wow. I remember seeing it flying through space and thought it might be one of those space based Pokémon but now I have absolutely no idea lol. A Pokémon game based in South America with jungle environments and long rivers would be neat though.
In Pokemon Snap, you find Mew in space

It was so awesome... I want a Pokemon Snap sequel so bad!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In Red and Blue and the "Origin of Mewtwo" segment of the first movie's DVD, it's specifically mentioned as being found in Guyana.

Macka

They should set a Pokemon game in Australia. Can you imagine all the giant spider Pokemon we would get?
As an Aussie, I'd love this. There are so many animals here to provide inspiration for Pokemon designs too. In addition to the giant spiders and snakes, there's the:

Kangaroo
Koala
Dropbear
Kookaburra
Wombat
Platypus
Echidna
Dolphin
Tasmanian Tiger
Possum (lots of different varieties)
Dingo
Emu
Cockatoo
Sharks
Crocodiles
Huge variety of lizards

and that's just off the top of my head.

As an Aussie, I'd love this. There are so many animals here to provide inspiration for Pokemon designs too. In addition to the giant spiders and snakes, there's the:

Kangaroo
Koala
Dropbear
Kookaburra
Wombat
Platypus
Echidna
Dolphin
Tasmanian Tiger
Possum (lots of different varieties)
Dingo
Emu
Cockatoo
Sharks
Crocodiles
Huge variety of lizards

and that's just off the top of my head.

That's a damn fine list. Although we already have Kangaroo. Kangaskhan.

Could add:

Cassowary
Quokka (NECESSARY. It is the only animal of its genus)
Wallaby
Cane Toads (Introduced fuckers)
Rosella
Blue Tongue Lizard (I know you said huge variety but this is the quintessential one for me. Could be a Fire/Ice type with it being all firey and lizardy on the outside with a frozen tongue)
Tasmanian Devil (different from the Tas Tiger/Thylacine)
Box Jellyfish
Stone Fish/Synancia (kind of exists in Relicanth but it needs to be poison type considering it's one of the most venemous fish in the world)

And we haven't even gotten to the spiders yet.

And New Zealand.

Macka

I prefer Rainbow Lorikeets but Rosellas are cool too.

Going back to Kangaroo for a sec - I know we have Kangaskhan, but tbh the only feature it shares with Kangaroos is the pouch. It doesn't resemble or behave like a Kangaroo at all.

But for differentiation, they could have a Boxing Kangaroo fighting type.

spiritfox

I prefer Rainbow Lorikeets but Rosellas are cool too.

Going back to Kangaroo for a sec - I know we have Kangaskhan, but tbh the only feature it shares with Kangaroos is the pouch. It doesn't resemble or behave like a Kangaroo at all.

But for differentiation, they could have a Boxing Kangaroo fighting type.

Breloom has a bit of boxing kanga in him. A fungi kangaroo.

Water starter should be a water/flying duck which evoles into a water/ground beaver, and finally becomes a pure water type Platypus. It should learn a flying/ground hybrid movie a la Flying Press

My family and I have a bit of a third shift schedule, so we already exchanged some gifts. Looks like my parents did buy me a copy of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire after all, hehe. I'm glad to have it, but I'm already feeling intimidated to start it up...I haven't finished a Pokemon game since Silver on GBC, and I'm so out of the loop.

upandaway

Haven't found yet a single Pokemon to add to my party aside from Ralts, so I guess I'll go with Ralts solo for a while. About to hit the 3rd gym.

one_kill

My family and I have a bit of a third shift schedule, so we already exchanged some gifts. Looks like my parents did buy me a copy of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire after all, hehe. I'm glad to have it, but I'm already feeling intimidated to start it up...I haven't finished a Pokemon game since Silver on GBC, and I'm so out of the loop.
Take it in strides. Ignore the competitive aspect for now and just focus on the single player.

Morokh

Don't worry too much the story is simple enough so that you'll be able to enjoy it.
And you'll catch-up without even noticing it :)

It's just if you get into breeding and/or competitive battling at one point that you may need a crash course.
But there is plenty of resources out there if it comes to that, and GAF is very helpful as well.

one_kill

I never did play the original ruby or sapphire...is there anything from the single player campaign that I should know before jumping in? Like something I don't want to miss.
Just make sure to get the Amulet Coin from your mother after beating the fifth gym. It just makes things easier. And look at the map if you're lost.

lupinko

After getting back my 3DS LL XY from Nintendo finally fixed perfectly, I traded in my cobalt 3ds a few hours before it struck midnight here to the 26th.

9k9Usail.jpg

tmuGAz8l.jpg

j0F1pPhl.jpg

Personally I'm impressed by it, no big micro sd yet, and the new microsd slot is lame. I got a theme download card too.

I bought the ORAS covers which I think are better than the felt Pokemon Center exclusive versions.

Toxi

Banned
If we're talking about silly FireRed Pokedex entries, look no further than the writer's inexplicable hatred of Indian elephants.

tumblr_mdietweslQ1qh4ymo.png

tumblr_mdieu6U7q41qh4ymo.png

Anyone have a bold tracer? Time to reset for suicunes and I am really not looking forward to it.
Also would like a gale wings talonflame in a premier ball if possible.

Azuran

Banned
Trying to breed some Lopunny and all I'm getting are perfect males, which I don't want. I usually don't care about genders, but why is the ratio gender 50/50 for this Pokemon?

GameFreak pls

I just realized it's synchronize and not trace that I want.... I knew something seemed off.

Again: Anyone got a spare Bold synchronizer?
got one. Also got a speed checker. Time for resets...

Azuran

Banned
Okay, just got a shiny perfect HA Crawdaunt with Aqua Jet and Dragon Dance on Wonder Trade.

Well, Merry Christmas everyone!

pokenoob here: what does it mean to reset for suicunes?

You soft reset the game (L+R+Start) when a legendary you catch doesn't have the right stats or nature that you want.

one_kill

pokenoob here: what does it mean to reset for suicunes?
People usually SR (soft reset) particular Pokemon because they either want the right IVs in the right stats, the right nature, and/or the Pokemon be a shiny.

Generally, it's good to aim for Pokemon with high/perfect IVs in stats that matter. IVs are the genetics of Pokemon so a Pokemon with perfect IVs is better than Pokemon belonging to the same species with less-than-perfect IVs. Natures also affect IVs so people aim to get one with a nature that's beneficial to whatever they're planning to use the Pokemon for. In this case, you need to capture the Pokemon you're SRing, input its stats in an IV calculator online, and determine if it's good enough for you.

As for shiny, well shinies are just cool. You generally just need to see the Pokemon in battle to see if it's a shiny.

So how do you do it? Well, you need to be able to consistently encounter the Pokemon you're planning to SR; so usually it involves legendaries. People usually save before the encounter to speed up the process. To soft reset, you press L + R + Start.

Does anyone have a spare Treecko or Seedot I could have? I'm trying to complete the dex as I go through the story and region exclusives and starters are the only things I really need right now.

I don't really have much to trade though I'm afraid :(

Fc is 5155-2969-6127

All that talk of Pokémon Australia ideas and no Lyrebird? Unless of course Pokémon has already done that and I totally forgot...then again mimic and mirror move are not the best of moves (especially given Me First kind of makes them obsolete in some respects).

As for soft resetting legendaries much of the challenge is knowing when it isn't worth throwing a ball (if you're going for some form of perfection). Nugget Bridge had a guide a things to look out for.
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/fl...-legendary-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/
As was noted in the comments since Final Gambit uses your current HP for damage. Provided, your total HP is over 196 you can always make use of it if you take some damage before fighting the legendary.
A speed checking tip I'll share is a level 100 31 Speed IV Sassy Spritomb can speed check all of the legendaries in the game (except for 0 speed builds).

But really do consider what is important for you. Since I'm doing a second playthrough I don't need to worry about total perfection but like to have some good enough ones to try out and I despise Ultra or Master Balls so catching in other balls is more important to me (catching O-power helps)

I have no idea why they haven't done it with Muddy Water yet.
Muddy Water has its niche of being a spread move that only target opponents (unlike surf which targets all surrounding). Still most doubles players hate the accuracy of it (Scald burns more often than Muddy Water misses and a Scald burn is very useful).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You soft reset the game (L+R+Start) when a legendary you catch doesn't have the right stats or nature that you want.

People usually SR (soft reset) particular Pokemon because they either want the right IVs in the right stats, the right nature, and/or the Pokemon be a shiny.

Generally, it's good to aim for Pokemon with high/perfect IVs in stats that matter. IVs are the genetics of Pokemon so a Pokemon with perfect IVs is better than Pokemon belonging to the same species with less-than-perfect IVs. Natures also affect IVs so people aim to get one with a nature that's beneficial to whatever they're planning to use the Pokemon for. In this case, you need to capture the Pokemon you're SRing, input its stats in an IV calculator online, and determine if it's good enough for you.

As for shiny, well shinies are just cool. You generally just need to see the Pokemon in battle to see if it's a shiny.

So how do you do it? Well, you need to be able to consistently encounter the Pokemon you're planning to SR; so usually it involves legendaries. People usually save before the encounter to speed up the process. To soft reset, you press L + R + Start.

ah, i see. pretty intense stuff!

legendaries can't be bred right? how do people get more than one (i want to eventually get Entei, but i'd like to get his bros too)

thanks for the help!

Rafavert

ah, i see. pretty intense stuff!

legendaries can't be bred right? how do people get more than one (i want to eventually get Entei, but i'd like to get his bros too)

thanks for the help!

Usually to get multiple of the same legendary you need to either obtain it in different games or in the same game but different save files (aka start over). Trading is also possible, of course. Unless you mean get Suicune + Entei + Raikou, in which case it depends on the game.

http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/legendary.shtml

Here it says how you can get the 3 dogs (You need Ho-oh on your team and the right mirage spot. The dog that shows up depends on the time of day)

Top Bottom