• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Azuran

Banned
CGDnJ91WIAI1afV.jpg

All right, I finally got my oval charm which should make breeding a hell lot faster.

JoeM86

CGEv5p7WIAADgoV.png

2015 International Challenge June

Region: International
Registration Period: June 18th 2015 - June 25th 2015
Battle Period: June 26th 2015 - June 28th 2015
Battle Type: Double Battle
Battle Limits: 10 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex.
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie, Pokémon not captured or hatched in X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Entry Gift: 1000 PokéMiles

Ahnez

To complete the Hoenn dex I need all pokemon but Jirachi, right? :p

Also, I found the Crescent Isle for the first time, but I think I'll not try to capture Cresselia..

I want it to have at least the right nature and the right spread of the 3 locked IVs
Or shiny, if somehow it happens :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To complete the Hoenn dex I need all pokemon but Jirachi, right? :p

Also, I found the Crescent Isle for the first time, but I think I'll not try to capture Cresselia..

I want it to have at least the right nature and the right spread of the 3 locked IVs
Or shiny, if somehow it happens :p
Hmm, I wonder if Deoxys counts or not...

lupinko

I will do it this weekend, barring another Pokecalypse, we should be good for this weekend.

I think the layoff and renewed desire because of a more streamlined method to farm Mew helped in the healing process. Not to mention Ageto Celebi eventual to be ready assembly line.

After Shiny Deoxys, what does PokeGAF say for Shiny Mew? (As well as another redux of Shiny Deoxys later this year probably.)

lupinko

I think Shiny Mew would be awesome. Who doesn't like Shiny Mew? :D

That's what I thought.

Legit Old Sea Chart Japanese Shiny Mew?

As legit as my Delorean is.

So it'd be similar to my Deoxys giveaway. All OT will be Leaf (well written in Japanese). Each Mew will be a different nature. I'm going to get around RNGing them. It's not Pokegen or the SaveEditor in Gen 6, it's coming from Gen 3 and up. And if it was bogus like using Pokegen why would I bother with decent stats when I could go balls crazy with random 6iv spreads and not using up most of my time doing this arbitrary RNG? Lol

Azuran

Banned
Based Raichu pretty much sweeps an entire team by himself after I just started using him for the first time. I just can't believe GF hates him so much:

KHPG-WWWW-WW24-GACW

KdylanR92

Oh Battle Maison, sometimes I play you with my favorite shiny Arcanine and two randoms and i might get to 50 maybe even 60 on a good day, but other times(like today) I get on and the first trainers have like thunder waving Tyranitars and Leftover Protect stalling Cradily's and are setting up on me and predicting switches and i'm like I came here to relax:[

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh Battle Maison, sometimes I play you with my favorite shiny Arcanine and two randoms and i might get to 50 maybe even 60 on a good day, but other times(like today) I get on and the first trainers have like thunder waving Tyranitars and Leftover Protect stalling Cradily's and are setting up on me and predicting switches and i'm like I came here to relax:[

Mega Kangaskhan is pretty good for relaxing. It takes a special type of hax for the AI to deal with it most of the time.

Muku

LOL I don't go there to relax. :( I think after that kinda punishment you should take your Shiny Arcanine's on a mini retreat for a weekend of massages, spa treatments.

Carl7

Random thoughts:

My quest for a Mega Garchomp's team is still going on, so far it has been much harder compared to the Pinsir team as it doesn't have access to priority and needs speed control support a lot more. Also fairy weakness is huge and, unless you are running iron head( which is not optimal), you will not OHKO Sylveon and Gardevoir.

Earthquake + sandstorm + helping hand is hilarious though, it deals like 70% to ferrothorn.

It's the first time since gen 4 that i don't have any rotom in my team, i can't believe i couldn't find a place for it.

Cresselia + Serperior form a great lead, some players just go berserk on the serperior and it allows me to set up calm mind. My Serperior runs leaf storm, light screen, substitute and protect, it can stall most things for several turns.

Very few players predict safety googles on my cresselia, why is that? I'm using a fucking sand team damn you.

The meta is shifting like daily. All i can guarantee we gonna see in Worlds is a bunch of Landorus as it is like having a second mega.

Rock slide has 80% chance of flinching when your opponent uses it. Kek.

Screw genwunners, Gen VI is the best by a huge distance.

Azuran

Banned
The meta is shifting like daily. All i can guarantee we gonna see in Worlds is a bunch of Landorus as it is like having a second mega.

Rock slide has 80% chance of flinching when your opponent uses it. Kek.

Screw genwunners, Gen VI is the best by a huge distance.

Who doesn't love Landorus? Every time I'm building a team he always ends up in one because he's so versatile. Those hax Rock Slides are a thing of beauty.

Everything has a higher chance when it benefits your opponent. Rock Slide, Scald, Dark Pulse, your WoW missing.

I know people tend to judge Pokemon games by their single player, but competitive multiplayer is so damn good this gen especially VGC that I just can't help but say that Gen Vi is my favorite one ever.

JoeM86

Went 4-5 at UK Nationals with one of my most gimmicky teams ever. Made a couple of stupid mistakes in two of the matches though, which cost me them while the other 3 were really close matches. Great fun.

Went 4-5 at UK Nationals with one of my most gimmicky teams ever. Made a couple of stupid mistakes in two of the matches though, which cost me them while the other 3 were really close matches. Great fun.
Not bad at all.

I forgot to ask you for a battle, haha.

Maybe when you have time?

JoeM86

Not bad at all.

I forgot to ask you for a battle, haha.

Maybe when you have time?

Sure :)

The one mistake I miss the most was missing that Protean didn't activate after a failed Mat Block. That cost me dearly, would have won that battle otherwise. But I can't be too grumpy, all but one of the battles were really close and were fun which is the main thing.

lupinko

I'm going to start Pokemon XD soon, which should I go for the number birds and Lugia?

Modest / Timid / Bold / Calm

I forget what Articuno and Moltes get but I know Zapdos gets Baton Pass and Lugia gets Psycho Boost and Feather Dance.

Edit: For this Lugia I figure Relaxed, Sassy, Quiet and maybe Naive are also options? Give some ideas here.

For traditional Lugias I can just grab them via Emerald and W2, the former being shiny and the latter having Multiscale.

Muku

Man, I just realized... I never finished Pokemon XD. I think I have Lugia in it though. How does one transfer off the game? Been so long. Thinking when I can get back to it, going to transfer off what little I have and start fresh and actually beat it.

I'm going to start Pokemon XD soon, which should I go for the number birds and Lugia?

Modest / Timid / Bold / Calm

I forget what Articuno and Moltes get but I know Zapdos gets Baton Pass and Lugia gets Psycho Boost and Feather Dance.

Edit: For this Lugia I figure Relaxed, Sassy, Quiet and maybe Naive are also options? Give some ideas here.

For traditional Lugias I can just grab them via Emerald and W2, the former being shiny and the latter having Multiscale.
Articuno - Calm
Moltres - Modest
Zapdos - Timid (can BP speed boosts with Agility)
Lugia - Bold

Alternatively
Articuno - Bold
Moltres - Timid
Zapdos - Calm (or Bold)
Lugia - Modest (to help with Psycho Boost)

I don't think Lugia wants a -Speed nature since it's so fast and Naive hinders its naturally high bulk.

StoneFox

I was breeding for a 5IV Noctowl last night and ended up getting a 6IV one with the wrong nature. Curse you RNG for giving me a 6IV when I hadn't gotten the nature I wanted yet with an everstone :V

I wanted to see if Noctowl is a counter to Darkrai in Battle Spot Doubles with Insomnia + Uproar lol getting a little tired of seeing it on a bunch of teams. xD

Syntsui

I was breeding for a 5IV Noctowl last night and ended up getting a 6IV one with the wrong nature. Curse you RNG for giving me a 6IV when I hadn't gotten the nature I wanted yet with an everstone :V

I wanted to see if Noctowl is a counter to Darkrai in Battle Spot Doubles with Insomnia + Uproar lol getting a little tired of seeing it on a bunch of teams. xD

I don't think this will work. Darkrai is faster and will put the other Pokémon to sleep and then double target and kill Noctowl. Also, play ratings to get rid of the Darkrais.

StoneFox

I don't think this will work. Darkrai is faster and will put the other Pokémon to sleep and then double target and kill Noctowl. Also, play ratings to get rid of the Darkrais.
Eh, then I guess I can keep using my Leaf Guard Leafeon in the sun strategy instead. I was just gonna make Noctowl do silly things like featherdance and stuff :p

And nah, I don't use pokemon that are super competitive so I don't think I'd be winning many ranked matches. I see much more silly stuff on unranked and find it amusing to fight kids with the message "I'm gonna beat you!" with a whole team of legendaries and end up beating them with a Pikachu and Flareon or something haha

Firestorm

How to counter trick room in VGC? Aromatisse is a nightmare to face.
I find a fast fake out + sleep move is really hard to play around when trying to set up Trick Room. That or make sure they can't do much once Trick Room is up and just kill their turns off with Protect, safe switches, and wearing them down little by little. Amoonguss itself is also really nice to have on your side.

Sure :)

The one mistake I miss the most was missing that Protean didn't activate after a failed Mat Block. That cost me dearly, would have won that battle otherwise. But I can't be too grumpy, all but one of the battles were really close and were fun which is the main thing.

Hmm, that is an odd behaviour. I figured it would've activated, since you used the move, but I guess not XD

BTW, thanks for the photo. Wasn't sure if it was overly geeky, but it seemed like a good chance, haha.

If you want a copy, just let me know.

Also, I had a good haul of Pachis, but annoyingly I was 1 away from my goal of a full box. If I hadn't watched the semi-finals/finals, I couldn't done the box, but it was worth it to watch.

Well, I guess I still have a goal for next year...

(Also, I'm a bit busy to trade Pachis now. Still trying to play catch up with Sunday's Fire Emblem if bombshell.)

JoeM86

Hmm, that is an odd behaviour. I figured it would've activated, since you used the move, but I guess not XD

BTW, thanks for the photo. Wasn't sure if it was overly geeky, but it seemed like a good chance, haha.

If you want a copy, just let me know.

Indeed. My mind completely blanked on that. The other loss I talked about was due to a misclick. The other 3 losses were all sound...good battles, down to the wire, but eventually turned not in my favour.

No problem about the photo :) Just hope I don't look ridiculously tired in it. I did in every other photo of the weekend that I've seen. Ah well.

lupinko

Man, I just realized... I never finished Pokemon XD. I think I have Lugia in it though. How does one transfer off the game? Been so long. Thinking when I can get back to it, going to transfer off what little I have and start fresh and actually beat it.

After they're purified you can trade them to any GBA game providing you've met those games' own requirements. You need to be past a certain point iirc in XD but for Lugia if you have it by then you should be able to trade.

Articuno - Calm
Moltres - Modest
Zapdos - Timid (can BP speed boosts with Agility)
Lugia - Bold

Alternatively
Articuno - Bold
Moltres - Timid
Zapdos - Calm (or Bold)
Lugia - Modest (to help with Psycho Boost)

I don't think Lugia wants a -Speed nature since it's so fast and Naive hinders its naturally high bulk.

Thanks! I kinda want to try and make use of both Feather Dance and Psycho Boost for that XD lugia too.

lupinko

Eh kinda related anyway since ORAS is a remake of RSE.

Should I bother with trying to get a Shiny Surfing Pichu? I don't even think it's possible or it'll take a stroke of amazing luck.

Pokemon Box here is dirt cheap, and I didn't know it allowed you to play RS on a GameCube / Wii. I should buy it for those reasons alone. Lol

Since I'm playing on a HBC Wii and I have 9 Japanese GBA carts (FR x2, Ruby x2, Sapphire x2, Emerald x3) I don't know the novelty kinda makes me want to get one anyway. Even if it'll never be able to leave to Gen 3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Box can't play Emerald though and RS are pretty bad. Also Surfing Pikachu is a waste in Gen 3 and 4 because they can't be traded up.

lupinko

Box can't play Emerald though and RS are pretty bad. Also Surfing Pikachu is a waste in Gen 3 and 4 because they can't be traded up.

RS isn't bad when they're totally gamed up, I started a new game with a bunch of eggs, Bold Squirtle with 3 egg moves (one of them being Yawn), and two shiny hasty starters in Treecko and Torchic.

I also have a new Sapphire game set up with shiny Relaxed Mudkip, and it'll be joined by Adamant Dratini, Adamant Charmander and Naive Bagon all three complete with egg moves and a bunch of other eggs will be sent that way too. Not counting my jolly shiny trio in another Sapphire, or the shiny adamant trio along with shiny event legendaries in one of my Emeralds.

I'm playing through all my games (the ones not completed or I just felt like restarting to help streamline my Gen 3 farming methods on the Japanese side. The NA side luckily does not require a completed game save to be used for farming so my 2 NA Ruby and 2 NA Sapphire are just used to farm events, and I restart over and over.

Gen 3 is pretty much my personal factory and I run it with an iron fist.

Anyway this is more of a hell I can do it so why not? And the GBA games are 60fps so they're not a chore to speed run, especially when they're gamed up.

Not to mention because of my farming, I can start said games with Celebi and Jirachi.

JoeM86

Going to be doing a Youtube video about the team I took to Nationals. Everyone I faced said it was fresh and very few knew the intricacies of a couple of moves I used to create my evil combo that caused real-life rage quits. It's not a perfect strategy and wouldn't be able to take me to Worlds, but it is intensely satisfying when it pays off.

Would you guys be interested in seeing it?

lupinko

Going to be doing a Youtube video about the team I took to Nationals. Everyone I faced said it was fresh and very few new the intricacies of a couple of moves I used to create my evil combo that caused real-life rage quits. It's not a perfect strategy and wouldn't be able to take me to Worlds, but it is intensely satisfying when it pays off.

Yes I'd like to see Pokecombo/match vids from you.

You can be Pokemon's Mike Z.

backlot

Going to be doing a Youtube video about the team I took to Nationals. Everyone I faced said it was fresh and very few new the intricacies of a couple of moves I used to create my evil combo that caused real-life rage quits. It's not a perfect strategy and wouldn't be able to take me to Worlds, but it is intensely satisfying when it pays off.

What was your record at the tournament?

JoeM86

What was your record at the tournament?

4-5 unfortunately. Made two stupid mistakes that cost me two matches so I was so close to 6-3, one of which not noticing that Protean didn't activate on a Greninja and then using a Psychic-type move on it and the other a misclick, but still...I was expecting 0-9 with this team.

Muku

Despite the record on the team, I think it'd still be great to see the video of your team Joe. If nothing else, maybe it can get folks to also think outside the box.

JoeM86

Despite the record on the team, I think it'd still be great to see the video of your team Joe. If nothing else, maybe it can get folks to also think outside the box.

It was a very successful team. It took me up to the near 1700s before

They're solid scores for gimmicks

Top Bottom