• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

StoneFox

I'm not looked for easy mode, as I prefer a challenge, but I don't know how to build a team or moveset yet so i'm worried about hitting roadblocks if I choose the wrong character.
Pokemon is designed in such a way where it's pretty hard to hit a true roadblock. There are plenty of pokemon to catch and create any sort of well balanced team. :)

Is Treecko a good starter for someone who doesn't have a clue what he's doing? I picked him because I read he attacks hard and fast (attacks first?), which appealed to me. On the other hand, Torchic seems like good choice as an all rounder against various types, but not as powerful. Would I have an easier time with him?

For an idea of how clueless I am, I just restarted because i discovered that i missed out on important moves by evolving Treecko when prompted. I really know nothing outside the rock paper scissors concept atm.

I'm not looked for easy mode, as I prefer a challenge, but I don't know how to build a team or moveset yet so i'm worried about hitting roadblocks if I choose the wrong character.
This game is designed so that little kids can beat the game without too much trouble. Just use Pokemon you like.

Exp. Share + Trainer's Eye means that it's pretty much impossible to get stuck. You can just do a few quick fights to get your team's levels up if needed. If you need guidance, generally your mons should be around level 50 for the final fights of the game.

Oswen

Oh well, my country didn't receive a Hoopa event but I'm not surprised.

When I went to Gamestop for both Keldeo and Diancie I was looked upon like a madman and in both occasions noone of the clerks could "find the cart" but still tried to make me preorder something pokemon related, not pleasant.

I wish we had events here in the EU just like in Japan, that would save many headaches.

Hegarol

Oh well, my country didn't receive a Hoopa event but I'm not surprised.
Where do you live? Maybe the event hasn't been announced for your country yet.

You can also always ask PokeGAF for help. Unfortunately I already my two extra codes to someone else :(

Zing

Banned
For an idea of how clueless I am, I just restarted because i discovered that i missed out on important moves by evolving Treecko when prompted. I really know nothing outside the rock paper scissors concept atm.
I had never heard of this. I avoid using guides or third party Pokedex while playing, but I looked this up. I assume you are talking about Giga Drain? I guess evolving trades it for Fury Cutter. It's not big deal. Sceptile is fast and strong in both attack and special attack. I have been using the weaker version, Mega Drain, and it still OHKO when super effective.

For what it's worth, apparently there is a move tutor later in the game that can teach Giga Drain to Sceptile if you really want it.

So I'm kinda LTTP but I got myself a copy of Alpha Sapphire a week ago and fell hard on Pokemon yet again. I even payed up for a year sub of Pokemon Bank to transferred all my X Pokemon to Alpha Sapphire.

I know that Pokemon Z is an eventuality so I'm considering selling my Pokemon X cartridge but I notice that there's no friend safari in ORAS. I'm fiddling around with the Dexnav and see that it's another method of getting Pokemon with perfect IVs and hidden abilities but it's also much more tedious process to get what you want compared to the Friend Safari.

Should I just keep my copy of X?

So I'm kinda LTTP but I got myself a copy of Alpha Sapphire a week ago and fell hard on Pokemon yet again. I even payed up for a year sub of Pokemon Bank to transferred all my X Pokemon to Alpha Sapphire.

I know that Pokemon Z is an eventuality so I'm considering selling my Pokemon X cartridge but I notice that there's no friend safari in ORAS. I'm fiddling around with the Dexnav and see that it's another method of getting Pokemon with perfect IVs and hidden abilities but it's also much more tedious process to get what you want compared to the Friend Safari.

Should I just keep my copy of X?

If you really want to sell X then just catch all the pokemon you need with their HA that are currently in your Friend Safari

Zing

Banned
So you can't using the dowsing machine to find these hidden underwater items? That's bullshit.
I've found make items without the dowsing rod. The geography gives strong clues to location of hidden items.

Not sure why it is such a big deal. Anyone who cares enough to min/max using these sort of items is undoubtedly already using guides for everything.

Amazon has OR for $28, should I finally get it? I got kind of burned out with XY, will this be much better?
Without a doubt. I was hesitant to start Alpha Sapphire since Pokemon Y burnt me out. It is such a refreshing change from Y. I think it is better in every way. I almost wish I had played it first. (Perspective from someone who didn't play Pokemon until the 3DS)

I forgot how annoying it is to catch legendaries. Took me 17 Ultra Balls to catch a paralyzed, 1hp Dialga. Only had one left over.

Edit: Giratina just took 25 Ultra Balls being paralyzed and under 5 hp. -_-'

TM25

Neo Member
SRing legendaries, all with catch rate 3, will be so fun........

I forgot how annoying it is to catch legendaries. Took me 17 Ultra Balls to catch a paralyzed, 1hp Dialga. Only had one left over.

Edit: Giratina just took 25 Ultra Balls being paralyzed and under 5 hp. -_-'

Level up capture power to level three, and use Duck balls whenever possible, assuming you like the design.

TM25

Neo Member
Capture Power and 3+ capture-rate balls is what I do.. But it is still very time consuming

True, very true. Zekrom is the worst for me since I prefer permanent paralysis to temporary sleep. Had to level up a Musharna as replacement. Can't imagine SR for shiny legendaries.

lupinko

I think you should hold onto your old game carts even if you are not into the crazy meta game of collecting and breeding, in countries not Japan, Pokemon always holds its value.

For starters you still have Gba Pokemon games going for $30-60 on Craigslist.

I think you should hold onto your old game carts even if you are not into the crazy meta game of collecting and breeding, in countries not Japan, Pokemon always holds its value.

For starters you still have Gba Pokemon games going for $30-60 on Craigslist.

I never bought any of the gen 3 pokemon games but I think I still have my friend's Ruby version laying around somewhere. Never played FireRed or LeafGreen though and I need all 3 legendary birds. I think at least one or maybe all of them could be caught in Platinum though so I need to go back to that. Hope I kept at least a few high level Pokémon on it.

lupinko

I never bought any of the gen 3 pokemon games but I think I still have my friend's Ruby version laying around somewhere. Never played FireRed or LeafGreen though and I need all 3 legendary birds. I think at least one or maybe all of them could be caught in Platinum though so I need to go back to that. Hope I kept at least a few high level Pokémon on it.

I think all the birds are catchable in Platinum, I forget, but anyway RSE have the easiest RNG abuse. RS especially if you want easy shinies (starter/gift/legendaries).

The main issue with selling RSE carts if you don't live in Japan is that if you want to play them again, well... Forget about the price. Just finding a legitimate one can be a gigantic pain in the ass.

lupinko

The main issue with selling RSE carts if you don't live in Japan is that if you want to play them again, well... Forget about the price. Just finding a legitimate one can be a gigantic pain in the ass.

Yeah that too, I was scouring Craigslist in one Canadian province and two American states for legitimate RSLGFRE.

The amount of counterfeits not just online but LOCAL is astonishing and worrying.

Also the GBA games are the only ones that run 60fps completely.

Gen 5 had 60fps only for battles.

Qurupeke

I'm missing almost all the legendaries in ORAS. I think I've only caught the Lati, Rayquaza, Regice and Heatran. What I'm doing? :(

Found my copy of Platinum. Looks like I barely touched it at all. Now I need to find the 3 birds even though I have 0 idea where they're roaming. X_x

Wasn't there a Poketch app for that?

turbocat

Oh man... I think I like shiny hunting now.

I figured I'd give it a shot and got a shiny Zorua after a chain of ~80.

What a rush.

Stick to DexNav and PokeRadar. Those really do give a rush. You know what doesn't give you a rush? Having to release 1200 MM bred Squirtles that you've hatched because you filled up both your boxes and your Pokemon Bank boxes XD.

But really, PokeRadar is freaking amazing.

Stick to DexNav and PokeRadar. Those really do give a rush. You know what doesn't give you a rush? Having to release 1200 MM bred Squirtles that you've hatched because you filled up both your boxes and your Pokemon Bank boxes XD.

But really, PokeRadar is freaking amazing.

Haha, that sounds miserable!

While I don't play competitively, I want my Pokémon to be competitively viable if I ever wanna give it a try. I've been led to believe that MM is the best way to get Pokémon with the greatest potential for competitive viability, so I might be following in your footsteps... At least for a little bit.

Luckily my Zorua has perfect defense, special attack, and speed, and a modest nature, so I'm happy with that!

I'm missing almost all the legendaries in ORAS. I think I've only caught the Lati, Rayquaza, Regice and Heatran. What I'm doing? :(

Wasn't there a Poketch app for that?

The legendaries I still need to catch in Alpha Sapphire are Zekrom, Cresselia, Kyurem, Landorus, and Regigigas. I need to trade for a Tornadus so I can catch Landorus and need to pick up a Nevermeltice so I can catch Regigigas. Also I ended up killing the Deoxys with a crit because I wasn't expecting it and used my master ball on Rayquaza. Would have reset but I hadn't saved in over an hour and didn't want to do it again.

I think the app only tracks them if you've at least seen them once.

Ahnez

The legendaries I still need to catch in Alpha Sapphire are Zekrom, Cresselia, Kyurem, Landorus, and Regigigas. I need to trade for a Tornadus so I can catch Landorus and need to pick up a Nevermeltice so I can catch Regigigas. Also I ended up killing the Deoxys with a crit because I wasn't expecting it and used my master ball on Rayquaza. Would have reset but I hadn't saved in over an hour and didn't want to do it again.

I think the app only tracks them if you've at least seen them once.
You can still find Deoxys. It appears in the same place Rayquaza was, you just need to beat the E4 for it to reappear

You can still find Deoxys. It appears in the same place Rayquaza was, you just need to beat the E4 for it to reappear

Cool thanks. Just caught Zekrom and Regigigas. Really annoyed that while using over 100 Ultra Balls on legendaries I've caught like 5 other things and gotten critical captures on 2 of them.

Oswen

Where do you live? Maybe the event hasn't been announced for your country yet.

You can also always ask PokeGAF for help. Unfortunately I already my two extra codes to someone else :(

Italy, it seems we are skipping the event this time for unknown reasons (or maybe because old distributions, usually handled by Gamestop, never worked most of the times to begin with).

Italy, it seems we are skipping the event this time for unknown reasons (or maybe because old distributions, usually handled by Gamestop, never worked most of the times to begin with).
In Italy Hoopa codes will be distributed in GameStop stores starting Oct. 27 until supplies run out.
This was confirmed 9 days ago.

Oswen

In Italy Hoopa codes will be distributed in GameStop stores starting Oct. 27 until supplies run out.
This was confirmed 9 days ago.

Good to know, i saw confirmations for UK, Germany, France and Spain but not for Italy.
Crossing fingers everything goes well this time.

bvu0c8x.jpg

After more than 1000 hatches and twenty hours worth of time invested, I finally got it. It's 5 IV but it doesn't have HP. I'm just thankful it has S.ATK and SPD. I didn't really notice the time investment because I was watching TV for most of it.

It's not my first legit Shiny, that would be either Red Gyarados or Octillery in the Friend Safari, but it's definitely the Shiny that matters most to me. I'm EVing it up right now and then I'm going to evolve it to get my favourite Shiny of all, Black Charizard.

After more than 1000 hatches and twenty hours worth of time invested, I finally got it. It's 5 IV but it doesn't have HP. I'm just thankful it has S.ATK and SPD. I didn't really notice the time investment because I was watching TV for most of it.

It's not my first legit Shiny, that would be either Red Gyarados or Octillery in the Friend Safari, but it's definitely the Shiny that matters most to me. I'm EVing it up right now and then I'm going to evolve it to get my favourite Shiny of all, Black Charizard.

Nice. I have I think 5 shinies right now: Teddiursa (friend safari), Lickitung (Victory Road), Magnetmite (hatched), Eevee (trade) and Ho-oh (trade).

turbocat

Well, after about 1500 MM Squirtles with the Shiny Charm, still no shiny Squirtle. If anyone is interested in a 5IV Modest Squirtle with Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse, speak now or forever hold your pee or else I'm going to release them.

706 Pokémon seen, 701 caught. Getting so close. Problem is I can't get anyone I still need without trading. My 3DS is charging right now but off the top of my head some of the Pokémon I still need are:

Heliolisk
Cinccino
Weavile

Edit: updated my list. Pretty sure these are the last 3 I need.

JoeM86

Didn't get around to making a team for Spooky Cup but went in with one I just threw together.

Won every battle I've had so far. Quitting while ahead :p

Edit: Also, woo. Hoopa!

CR_T9KJWsAQVxLU.png

I won't be able to make it to the Hoopa event in-store ;_; if anyone gets a spare code I have lots to trade, just send me a PM! Hoopa's the last one I need for my Dex >_<

Top Bottom