• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Ahnez

Is there any tool I can use to determine the probability of meeting these conditions given 3 random perfect IVs:

Calm, Bold: 31/x/29+/31/29+/31
Timid, Modest: 31/x/27+/31/27+/31
Rash, Mild: 27+/31/27+/31/27+/31

I tried to determine the calculation by hand but there were so many possibilities that I knew I would make a mistake in determining the calculation.

edit3: Well, disregard this post..

This is too hard

I know this isn't the x and y thread but I was advised to post in here:

i recently got a 3ds and am halfway through Pokemon y which I initially borrowed off a friend last year!

Now that I have my own 3ds I need Pokemon friends! I'm hoping to spam (o moves on people and have people to open up friend safaris which I know are a thing.

If anyone doesn't mind helping out my friends code is: 0619-7319-3014

I'm only on the 4th badge but with time am also up for battling people. How does that work on wifi? I imagine that losing a online Pokemon battle doesn't have ramifications on the single player game?

I know Pokemon x and y can trade and battle between the newer games so I'm looking forward to trying that out!

Flintty

My Son and I are new to Pokémon, I have Omega and he has Alpha. I read that there are codes going around for a Mewtwo Pokémon. Is there a way for us to get this without buying another game/console?

Is this a regular occurrence?

Muku

My Son and I are new to Pokémon, I have Omega and he has Alpha. I read that there are codes going around for a Mewtwo Pokémon. Is there a way for us to get this without buying another game/console?

Is this a regular occurrence?

I believe it is Mew that is via a code right now. But that's not until next month I believe, for Japan, with the code packed in with the VC Pokemon thing. Don't recall it being announced anywhere else in mean time.

Event Pokemon happen from time to time. Sometimes you have to go some place, like recently McDonald's to get Hoopa. Sometimes it's a code. Like last year if you went to GameStop you could get a Dragonite code.

Ahnez

Is there any tool I can use to determine the probability of meeting these conditions given 3 random perfect IVs:

Calm, Bold: 31/x/29+/31/29+/31
Timid, Modest: 31/x/27+/31/27+/31
Rash, Mild: 27+/31/27+/31/27+/31

I tried to determine the calculation by hand but there were so many possibilities that I knew I would make a mistake in determining the calculation.

WELL, I decided to write a small software to calculate this..

It is in unix/linux C++.. (so I don't know if you can run it on other systems) The code is pretty simple, I tried to quick learn Javascript to write one that is easier to use on the browser.. But nope, too hard lol

Now, if there's nothing wrong with my algorithm..

Calm, Bold: 31/x/29+/31/29+/31 - 0.0123% without synchronizer, 0.0829% with
Timid, Modest: 31/x/27+/31/27+/31 - 0.024% without, 0.1617% with
Rash, Mild: 27+/31/27+/31/27+/31 - 0.0048% without, 0.0326% with

Rest of world doesn't get that kind of love.... ;_;

:(

It is in unix/linux C++.. (so I don't know if you can run it on other systems) The code is pretty simple, I tried to quick learn Javascript to write one that is easier to use on the browser.. But nope, too hard lol

:(

Thanks for that. Must have took quite a bit of effort. I can't use synchronizer as it is an event so my over change is 0.0411% or 1/2500 which means on the 2500th SR I will have a 63% chance of getting a Pokemon which meets the requirements. Time consuming but manageable.

I would have done this myself but I only have access to a crappy laptop and only currently know VB (lol) from High School. I'll actually be doing an introductory C++ course this semester though.

jnWake

Maybe I'm wrong (please correct me if so), but here I offer a different solution for this:

1. Nature: Chance of getting either Calm or Bold is 2/25.
2. IVs:
- You want the three 31s in three specific positions. The 31s can be arranged in 20 different ways ( 6!/(3!*3!) ), so the chance of getting the 31s you want is 1/20.
- The x doesn't affect the probabilty.
- Chance of getting 29+ should be 3/32 (32 possible IV numbers, 0 to 31, and only 3 are useful: 29, 30, 31).

With that, the probability is:

P = 2/25 * 1/20 * 1 * 3/32 * 3/32 = 0.00352%.

Not sure why we're getting different results :(.

Muku

Believe shiny Xerneas and shiny Yveltal event end middle of this month or so. Yall farming them, you finish it up yet? Haha.

Edit: Also started my new legendary hunt today: Terrakion.

Seil

Really? Learn something new everyday. Just goes to show how out of the loop I am.

Yeah, there's a good chance things that seem too good to be true are if they're from Wonder Trade. Lots of people send off some breeding rejects or extras through wonder trade, too, though so there's that. I did that a good bit early on, but it gets tiring haha.

But I'm sure there are also people that send off cool legitimate Pokemon on a whim, just not as many as those that send off hacked flawless shinies and the like haha.

JoeM86

The first VGC 2016 Battle Competition is upon us

2016 International Challenge January
2016internationalchallengejanuary.png

Region: International
Registration Period: January 21st 2016 - January 28th 2016
Battle Period: January 29th 2016 - January 31st 2016
Battle Type: Double Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex.
Pokémon Limits: Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
Banned Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa, Pokémon not captured or hatched in X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Entry Gift: 2000 PokéMiles

Ahnez

Maybe I'm wrong (please correct me if so), but here I offer a different solution for this:

1. Nature: Chance of getting either Calm or Bold is 2/25.
2. IVs:
- You want the three 31s in three specific positions. The 31s can be arranged in 20 different ways ( 6!/(3!*3!) ), so the chance of getting the 31s you want is 1/20.
- The x doesn't affect the probabilty.
- Chance of getting 29+ should be 3/32 (32 possible IV numbers, 0 to 31, and only 3 are useful: 29, 30, 31).

With that, the probability is:

P = 2/25 * 1/20 * 1 * 3/32 * 3/32 = 0.00352%.

Not sure why we're getting different results :(.
You are considering only the case when the three guaranteed max IVs are on the stats he wants. I considered every one of the 20 possible combinations. Thats why :)

jnWake

You are considering only the case when the three guaranteed max IVs are on the stats he wants. I considered every one of the 20 possible combinations. Thats why :)

Welp, you're right, I forgot that you can get 31's outside of the guaranteed ones. Let me fix the calculus.

There are 4 cases for the guaranteed 31's:

1. The three fall in the desired stats: This has a 1/20 chance of happening. In this case, you just need to get the "x" and two "29+". Chance is 1/20*1*3/32*3/32.

2. None fall in the desired stats: This also has a 1/20 chance of happening. In this case, you immediately get the x and two 29+ and need the three 31's. Chance is 1/20*1/32*1/32*1/32.

3. Two 31's fall in the desired stats: This is a bit more confusing. You can get a pair of 31's in three different ways and for each pair the last 31 can be in three different positions. Hence, this has a chance of 9/20. Then, the last 31 can either land on the "x" stat or on one of the 29+. You need to get at least one 31 (the stat that didn't get the guaranteed 31) and either a "x" and a 29+ or two 29+. With all that, the chance is 9/20*(1/3*1/32*3/32*3/32 + 2/3*1/32*1*3/32).

4. One 31 falls in the desired stats. Similar as above. Chance is 9/20. Then, you need the other two 31's and either an "x" or a 29+ depending on which stats got the guaranteed 31's. Chance is 9/20*(1/3*1/32*1/32*1 + 2/3*1/32*1/32*3/32).

With all that, the final chance is 2/25*sum of above = 0.0123%.

Method isn't that hard so you can apply it to any other combination without needing to program!

Not that it really matters if you're happy with it.

But usually Wondertrade is used to trade away hacked bogus mon, not saying yours is but that's why there's said question.

Is there any way to know if the Pokemon is hacked? If so is it dangerous to the game at all?

Was planning to use wonder trade as it seemed like a bit of fun but don't want to risk getting a hacked Pokemon that's potentially unstable

Is there any way to know if the Pokemon is hacked? If so is it dangerous to the game at all?

Was planning to use wonder trade as it seemed like a bit of fun but don't want to risk getting a hacked Pokemon that's potentially unstable
Hacked means the Pokemon was created outside of normal gameplay. Legal means the Pokemon can be created inside normal gameplay.

It is possible to make a hacked Pokemon legal and therefore indistinguishable from a legitimate Pokemon. Therefore apart from Pokemon you capture yourself it is basically impossible to determine with certainty whether a Pokémon is hacked or not.

However no Pokémon even extraordinarly bad hacks will ever damage your game. It was possible for this to happen in Gen 1 but since then Game Freak have greatly improved their error handling methods so there is no risk to your game from hacked Pokemon. You will get banned from competitions if you are caught using illegal Pokemon at competitions, however.

Ahnez

I know, but since its something with multiple variables, I decided to write the algo so I can find the % for any input :) It takes a while to write, but after that, you get the answer for any combination instantly

And, since I couldn't find a calculator for this anywhere, so I though it might be useful.. Thats why I commented about javascript above, a C++ code is not the easiest thing to share, unlike a web language

If someday I learn how to, I will try to rewrite it so I can share :p

Ahnez

Is there a preferred way of doing this though? Should I transfer a whole lot of Pokemon at once, or smaller amounts over and over again?

I think it counts based on how many pokemon are stored and for how long.

The actual transfers doesn't matter

Seil

Is there a preferred way of doing this though? Should I transfer a whole lot of Pokemon at once, or smaller amounts over and over again?

In Bank you accrue points over time. The amount of points you earn increases with the amount of Pokemon you have deposited, though I'm not sure if anyone's bothered to math it out even though it's been around for quite some time now. So the way to go is to store a lot of Pokemon. There's no benefit to doing it in small batches.

ebevan91

In Bank you accrue points over time. The amount of points you earn increases with the amount of Pokemon you have deposited, though I'm not sure if anyone's bothered to math it out even though it's been around for quite some time now. So the way to go is to store a lot of Pokemon. There's no benefit to doing it in small batches.

Ahh ok. I just did some research on it. I was wondering why sometimes I'd only get maybe 100 or so miles and then other times I'd get over 2,000.

Muku

But that means I have to subscribe to Pokemon Bank.

I guess it's fine. $5 for a year.

Totally worth it. Mine is coming up for renewal next month for my second year. Got it during the free trial period and it was as great as I needed it to be. It was the hero we all deserved.

Seil

Totally worth it. Mine is coming up for renewal next month for my second year. Got it during the free trial period and it was as great as I needed it to be. It was the hero we all deserved.

I just wish it supported touch for managing stuff lol, we get Gen 6's awesome box management in the games then... Bank... There was something else I wanted related to the search but I can't remember it right now...

I make extensive use of Bank though, definitely worth it.

Muku

I just wish it supported touch for managing stuff lol, we get Gen 6's awesome box management in the games then... Bank... There was something else I wanted related to the search but I can't remember it right now...

This so much. I'm pretty sure we can all agree touch screen managing would be so much better.

With the shiny Xerneas and shiny Yveltal event ending middle of this month or so, are there any other folks who wanted one? I can't make promises if too many jump on board, but will do what I can for you.

ebevan91

The ability to sort your entire bank would be nice.

For example by Pokedex number. Would have saved me HOURS going through close to 1000 Pokemon just to get #001 to #718 (pre-Diancie) in order.

Or sort by typing. Hell, even by species (name).

Hegarol

The ability to sort your entire bank would be nice.

For example by Pokedex number. Would have saved me HOURS going through close to 1000 Pokemon just to get #001 to #718 (pre-Diancie) in order.

Or sort by typing. Hell, even by species (name).
You CAN do this. But as soon as you switch to a specific box, you have to start over. Thats the annoying part

Dak'kon

This so much. I'm pretty sure we can all agree touch screen managing would be so much better.

With the shiny Xerneas and shiny Yveltal event ending middle of this month or so, are there any other folks who wanted one? I can't make promises if too many jump on board, but will do what I can for you.

I don't have any on the XYZ shinies and would love them (especially Xerneas as he's my fav <3) but you were already kind enough to get me one of the Arceus events so I'd obviously rather someone else get them if you're not getting too many.

I also managed to get a spare Shiny Jirachi code when they were available last month which I've been meaning to offer to someone here. I'm offering it to you first Muku but if you don't want it then anyone else here is welcome to have it :)

Muku

I don't have any on the XYZ shinies and would love them (especially Xerneas as he's my fav <3) but you were already kind enough to get me one of the Arceus events so I'd obviously rather someone else get them if you're not getting too many.

I also managed to get a spare Shiny Jirachi code when they were available last month which I've been meaning to offer to someone here. I'm offering it to you first Muku but if you don't want it then anyone else here is welcome to have it :)

I'll get you a shiny Xerneas / shiny Yveltal / Zygarde event combo this weekend. :) Figure since Zygarde is part of combo, no reason not to give it to folks to complete the set.

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I say let someone else here nab it if they've yet to get a shiny Jirachi. Though, I will say, whoever claims it and doesn't have the means to redeem it, I will gladly redeem it for you.

Edit: I am in possession of the shiny Jirachi code now. If you would like it, please contact me regarding it. It is not yet redeemed in case person who wants it can redeem it themselves. However, if we find out you can't, I'll have no problem redeeming it for you. :)

Just a note about shiny Jirachi code, looks like it ends January 31st, for anyone interested. And I imagine that is claiming it before end time that evening HK time. (Which may be ahead of you in time.)

Dak'kon

Thank you Muku for my shiny trio. Xerneas looks so cool :) And thank you for offering to redeem the Jirachi for whoever wants it.

Muku

Thank you Muku for my shiny trio. Xerneas looks so cool :) And thank you for offering to redeem the Jirachi for whoever wants it.

You're welcome. :) Ghost deer is pretty awesome. And getting a shiny of a Pokemon you like so much makes it even more awesome.

Dak'kon

You're welcome. :) Ghost deer is pretty awesome. And getting a shiny of a Pokemon you like so much makes it even more awesome.

Yep :D Oh and I just realised Zygarde isn't actually shiny? I thought all this time that the event was for shiny versions of the XYZ trio. Presumably they've held off on Zygarde until "Z" version is released? That means there's no legitimate way to get a shiny Zygarde?

Muku

Yep :D Oh and I just realised Zygarde isn't actually shiny? I thought all this time that the event was for shiny versions of the XYZ trio. Presumably they've held off on Zygarde until "Z" version is released? That means there's no legitimate way to get a shiny Zygarde?

That's why I put shiny in front of Xerneas and Yveltal, but never Zygarde here. I assume they're waiting for Z, but we'll see. I was hoping it'd be shiny as well, but it's all good. Hope we get one though. :) But yeah for now, it's a wait on shiny Zygarde. I give Zygarde with the shiny Xerneas / shiny Yveltal since it's part of the event trio. That way you can say you actually own the set.

Dak'kon

That's why I put shiny in front of Xerneas and Yveltal, but never Zygarde here. I assume they're waiting for Z, but we'll see. I was hoping it'd be shiny as well, but it's all good. Hope we get one though. :) But yeah for now, it's a wait on shiny Zygarde. I give Zygarde with the shiny Xerneas / shiny Yveltal since it's part of the event trio. That way you can say you actually own the set.

Well I think most people would assume that if the first two were shiny in an event the third would as well... but maybe that's just me! In fact I thought all this time that shiny Zygarde had a very similar palette to its normal colours but now I've looked it up he looks like a box of spearmint toothpaste :D

Damn! Went to Pokemon Center for the second mystery gift week, and I got another Sableye! :(

If anybody has double ups by the end, does anybody want to trade on the last week? I'd like to get a full set if I can!

Top Bottom