• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Robin64

So people who use Pokémon Bank can get Regirock, Regice, and Registeel as of tomorrow. That's nice of them, though I probably have nearly a full box of Regis at this point.

JoeM86

CcnmJOQWoAAfE3k.jpg

And live

Muku

Awwww yisssss.... Thank you for posting it was up early. Nabbing them this morning before work. :)

Edit: What are good natures for them anyway? I think I just got some awful ones for mine.

For the new page... and removed all that has been taken already:

On a side note, I've got a bunch of stuff I'd like to find homes for. They're currently residing in Pokebank so I can nab them on whichever game I want to trade them out. If you would like any, please let me know. I want to clear out some boxes. Can't speak of validity on these, but if you want further information on them, send me a PM. Just giving a brief overview.

- Level 100 ENG Shiny Palkia / Ultra Ball / Hasty
- Level 100 JPN Shiny Dialga / Ultra Ball / Naive (active Pokerus)
- Level 100 ENG Shiny Giratina / Net Ball / Modest (6IV / active Pokerus)

Non shinies but still cannot speak of validity.

- Level 050 JPN Shaymin / Cherish Ball / Adamant
- Level 038 JPN Meloetta / Cherish Ball / Impish (no longer active Pokerus)
- Level 022 JPN Manaphy / Pokeball / Mild

These are ones I got back in the day and used to clone for a while. So they are clones, but I got them from the event myself.

- Level 100 ENG Deoxys / Dusk Ball / Bold ~reserved for RootCause
- Level 052 ENG Darkrai / Cherish Ball / Brave ~reserved for RootCause
- Level 050 ENG Keldeo / Cherish Ball / Jolly

Just wanting to clean up some boxes. Just let me know if you want anything. You can trade me whatever you'd like for them.

So I just bought Omega Ruby and booting it up for the first time and let me say Littleroot has great music and it was so nostalgic to finally return to Hoenn.

But anyways, I've a question on PC Boxes as I recall back in Gen 3 that I had around 16+ boxes, why am I limited to 8 here? Is there a way to increase the limit?

Muku

So I just bought Omega Ruby and booting it up for the first time and let me say Littleroot has great music and it was so nostalgic to finally return to Hoenn.

But anyways, I've a question on PC Boxes as I recall back in Gen 3 that I had around 16+ boxes, why am I limited to 8 here? Is there a way to increase the limit?

You'll get it increasing up to 32 was it? Just start adding stuff to boxes and they'll slowly open up.

Seil

Hum I see, eh I liked having everything open at once because I sorted/named boxes by type right at the beginning. Oh well.

It's easy enough if you have like, 31 pokemon? Just put one in each box and they'll get unlocked. I pulled that in XY while trying to set things up for my living dex pre-bank.

Went 7-3 with a team I made up specifically to counter Clefable and I encountered 0 Clefable that weren't some kid's who gave everything Hyper Beam.
Had some incredibly close matches. One came down to Swagger, one came down to Leaf Storm accuracy, and another came down to Flinch/Miss/Miss from a Pidgeot.

Team was:
Nidoqueen
-Drill Run
-Thunderpunch
-Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock

Blastoise
-Rapid Spin
-Aqua Ring
-Scald
-Dark Pulse

Jynx
-Ice Beam
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Lovely Kiss

Mr. Mime
-Psychic
-Baton Pass
-Psych Up
-Calm Mind

Primeape
-Close Combat
-Poison Jab
-Acrobatics
-Ice Punch

Golem
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Explosion
-Rock Polish

Nobody expected Jolly, max speed Golem. It was hilarious.

Do different Pokémon have different XP lines in terms of length? For reference I'm playing Omega Ruby and having issues with my Taillow and Raltz, now Swellow and Kirilia. I had Raltz at 9 and Taillow at 6 or 7 and with exp share I'm having a Taillow always out leveling my Raltz with me not ever using the former in battle. In contrast 50% of the time I'm using Raltz in battle.

At one point I had Kirilia and Taillow both at the start of lvl 20 with Taillow having a couple hundred short of XP compared to my Kirilia for lvl 21, like dah fuck. Gets really annoying.

Seil

Do different Pokémon have different XP lines in terms of length? For reference I'm playing Omega Ruby and having issues with my Taillow and Raltz, now Swellow and Kirilia. I had Raltz at 9 and Taillow at 6 or 7 and with exp share I'm having a Taillow always out leveling my Raltz with me not ever using the former in battle. In contrast 50% of the time I'm using Raltz in battle.

At one point I had Kirilia and Taillow both at the start of lvl 20 with Taillow having a couple hundred short of XP compared to my Kirilia for lvl 21, like dah fuck. Gets really annoying.

There are a few different growth rates, yes. You can read up in more detail here.

Purdy

Maybe not the best thread to ask but if I want to start playing a bit of the 'competitive' online, should I go ORAS or XY?

Also I'm guessing the EV/IV stuff will need to be taken into consideration? (Maybe there is a lazy link for me to read through, as all I've done in both is beat the E4 and not much else)

entremet

Maybe not the best thread to ask but if I want to start playing a bit of the 'competitive' online, should I go ORAS or XY?

Also I'm guessing the EV/IV stuff will need to be taken into consideration? (Maybe there is a lazy link for me to read through, as all I've done in both is beat the E4 and not much else)
ORAS.

XY is outdated for the competitive meta game.

Check out Nugget Bridge for more info.

Macka

XY. The Friend Safari makes getting good breeding parents insanely easy, as Pokemon captured there have three guaranteed perfect IV's. EV training with hordes is also incredibly easy. You should ask someone here (or just PM me) for a Pokemon with Pokerus when you're at that stage.

Edit: Hmm...yeah I guess ORAS has the PokeNav and is the game with the more current online community.

WPS

XY. The Friend Safari makes getting good breeding parents insanely easy, as Pokemon captured there have three guaranteed perfect IV's. EV training with hordes is also incredibly easy. You should ask someone here (or just PM me) for a Pokemon with Pokerus when you're at that stage.

Edit: Hmm...yeah I guess ORAS has the PokeNav and is the game with the more current online community.

ORAS has hordes as well, but unlike XY it has a route which only yields one type of EV with hordes, for every EV, and doesn't prevent sweet scent from working in the rain. It's very helpful. There's also a day care centre with a loop around it.

You also get a much bigger selection of legends. ORAS has Cresselia, Landorus, Terrakion, etc. while XY only has Zapdos.

Plus I think the friend safari is two perfect IVs, not three. Three is for unbreedables, right?

Purdy

ORAS.

XY is outdated for the competitive meta game.

Check out Nugget Bridge for more info.

ORAS has hordes as well, but unlike XY it has a route which only yields one type of EV with hordes, for every EV, and doesn't prevent sweet scent from working in the rain. It's very helpful. There's also a day care centre with a loop around it.

You also get a much bigger selection of legends. ORAS has Cresselia, Landorus, Terrakion, etc. while XY only has Zapdos.

Plus I think the friend safari is two perfect IVs, not three. Three is for unbreedables, right?

Cheers guys.

Think I'll need to read up on IVs as I still don't really have a clue what they're about :D

entremet

Cheers guys.

Think I'll need to read up on IVs as I still don't really have a clue what they're about :D

Long post incoming:

IVs are basically stats. It's an acronym for Individual Values. Each stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense, etc) has a certain number of IVs, which determine the maximum and minimum value each stat can express.

You cannot alter these. They're like Pokemon genes. It's what makes each Pokemon different.

Most competitive players go for maximum IVs also known as Perfect IVs, which allow for the highest possible numerical value per stat for a specific Pokemon. There are some exceptions, where the lowest possible stat is preferred, specifically Speed for special teams.

How do you get maximum or perfect iVs? Legitimately it requires breeding. Certain Pokemon caught in specific areas are guaranteed 3 Perfect IVs across the possible 6 stats--HP, Speed, Attack, Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense.

If you collect opposite gender pairs and breed them with a special item, they have a great chance of passing their IVs, including the perfect ones to their offspring.

However, this process can be time consuming unfortunately.

While you can try to get near perfect IV Pokemon via breeding, it is a time sink. And the breeding process doesn't work with legendaries and most mythicals, which cannot breed.

Many players inject perfect Pokemon into the game. These Pokemon are technically obtainable statistically. They have no abnormal stats or moves, but can be created or "genned" in a few minutes using exploits.

As a newcomer, you really don't need to worry about breeding or genning perfect Pokemon. It's better to focus on learning the actual game.

And to be completely clear, genning is technically against the rules although the Pokemon are completely stat and move legal--they have no stats or moves that cannot be obtained by legal means. Many people do it because of the time consuming nature of breeding. A well genned Pokemon is also almost impossible to differentiate from a legit Pokemon if done correctly.

EV are Effort Values. These are values within a stat that are totally trainable, either by battling specific enemies or playing mini games, recently added to Gen 6.

A competitive Pokemon will need to be at least EV trained to fair well online. Perfect IV Pokemon are not necessary for casual play, only at the higher levels.

WPS

Cheers guys.

Pokémon's stats are defined by five things: Individual Value, Effort Value, Base Stat, Level and Nature.

Base Stats are determined by species: A cheetah is faster than a tortoise.

Effort Values are determined by training: Someone who trains in running is faster than their identical twin who trains in weight lifting.

Individual Values are determined by genetics: Even if I trained as hard as they did, Olympic athletes would still be faster than I am.

Nature I haven't thought of a good metaphor for, yet, though they're more or less genetics as well.

You probably want to read a proper guide if you want to get into competitive breeding, but its more time consuming than hard. The gist of it is pokémon will inherit 3 IVs at random from their parants (5 with a Destiny Knot equipped) and the remaining are completely random. Breed two parents with one max IV each (in different stats) and you will probably get a child with a max IV in both those stats, and so on.

Purdy

Long post incoming:

IVs are basically stats. It's an acronym for Individual Values. Each stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense, etc) has a certain number of IVs, which determine the maximum and minimum value each stat can express.

You cannot alter these. They're like Pokemon genes. It's what makes each Pokemon different.

Most competitive players go for maximum IVs also known as Perfect IVs, which allow for the highest possible numerical value per stat for a specific Pokemon. There are some exceptions, where the lowest possible stat is preferred, specifically Speed for special teams.

How do you get maximum or perfect iVs? Legitimately it requires breeding. Certain Pokemon caught in specific areas are guaranteed 3 Perfect IVs across the possible 6 stats--HP, Speed, Attack, Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense.

If you collect opposite gender pairs and breed them with a special item, they have a great chance of passing their IVs, including the perfect ones to their offspring.

However, this process can be time consuming unfortunately.

While you can try to get near perfect IV Pokemon via breeding, it is a time sink. And the breeding process doesn't work with legendaries and most mythicals, which cannot breed.

Many players inject perfect Pokemon into the game. These Pokemon are technically obtainable statistically. They have no abnormal stats or moves, but can be created or "genned" in a few minutes using exploits.

As a newcomer, you really don't need to worry about breeding or genning perfect Pokemon. It's better to focus on learning the actual game.

And to be completely clear, genning is technically against the rules although the Pokemon are completely stat and move legal--they have no stats or moves that cannot be obtained by legal means. Many people do it because of the time consuming nature of breeding. A well genned Pokemon is also almost impossible to differentiate from a legit Pokemon if done correctly.

EV are Effort Values. These are values within a stat that are totally trainable, either by battling specific enemies or playing mini games, recently added to Gen 6.

A competitive Pokemon will need to be at least EV trained to fair well online. Perfect IV Pokemon are not necessary for casual play, only at the higher levels.

Pokémon's stats are defined by five things: Individual Value, Effort Value, Base Stat, Level and Nature.

Base Stats are determined by species: A cheetah is faster than a tortoise.

Effort Values are determined by training: Someone who trains in running is faster than their identical twin who trains in weight lifting.

Individual Values are determined by genetics: Even if I trained as hard as they did, Olympic athletes would still be faster than I am.

Nature I haven't thought of a good metaphor for, yet, though they're more or less genetics as well.

You probably want to read a proper guide if you want to get into competitive breeding, but its more time consuming than hard. The gist of it is pokémon will inherit 3 IVs at random from their parants (5 with a Destiny Knot equipped) and the remaining are completely random. Breed two parents with one max IV each (in different stats) and you will probably get a child with a max IV in both those stats, and so on.

Thanks guys, seems pretty simple but obviously will need to read up on doing the EVs :)

(My reply is short but I did read all of your posts lol, will probably be back for some more questions and chat when I've read around it a bit more).

Any recommendation as far as resources go for a good run down on 'getting started'?

So things are really different in Omega Ruby compared to regular Ruby haha, meeting Latios came way earlier than expected. I assume the Eon Ticket is still a thing to obtain Latias? Did I miss the time frame on getting that event item?

Ahnez

So things are really different in Omega Ruby compared to regular Ruby haha, meeting Latios came way earlier than expected. I assume the Eon Ticket is still a thing to obtain Latias? Did I miss the time frame on getting that event item?
The event already happened, but you can still get it through streetpass.

If you streetpass someone who have the ticket, you will also get it

The event already happened, but you can still get it through streetpass.

If you streetpass someone who have the ticket, you will also get it

I see, I'll see if some of my friends or siblings managed to snag it since they got the games at release.

Anyways I just finished battling the Pokemon League and I don't know if it was nostalgia (Gen 3 being my favorite so far), the improved character development, or the music (or a mixture of all three) but damn did it get emotional and give feels. The entire scene of returning to Littleroot with the slow musical piece was great. Then again it may just be me, but overall I really enjoyed this remake of Ruby/Sapphire and currently holds my favorite entry into the franchise out of all the games I've played, subject to change of course once I finish Delta Episode.

Now it's time to begin the Delta episode which is entirely new content, can't wait.

Edit: It figures that right after I beat the Elite Four that I figure out that my lead Pokemon Gardevoir can actually mega-evolve, not just Gallade. God damn it... this picture lied to me.

pokemon-oras-megas.jpg

CassSept

This picture only shows Mega Pokemon that were introduced in ORAS, M-Gardevoir was introduced in XY. There are way more Mega Pokemon than in this artwork.

Muku

Going to have the Pokemon on my list further up on this page available until end of March 11. After that going to put them away again until next round of giveaways. if you have a reserve on it, please contact me ASAP. Otherwise, once end of 11th comes they'll put just back in Bank.

Just finished Delta Episode and so ending the plot of OR/AS. I alrdy knew about Zinnia beforehand and the multiverse shtick going on but I still enjoyed it; music was great and I did not expect a cinematic experience in a Pokemon game.

Overall, as someone who loves Gen 3 and last experience with the franchise was Gen 4, I believe OR/AS is a good remake, would be great if Battle Frontier were actually here instead of Battle Resort but I can deal. I really enjoyed the plot's execution in this game, the story has been greatly improved over original R/S (Wally became nobody into someone I liked (again, thanks battle music), and Delta Episode helped explain and give plot to Rayquaza and Deoxys in contrast to some legendaries you encounter in the game at random. Zinnia was a bit annoying but I grew to like her during Sky Pillar.

Been getting back into playing again after awhile on the shelf, thanks to some friends who have started playing. They're both getting into breeding, so I was wondering if anyone has a pair of the 'ol 6IV Japanese Ditto laying about so I can hook them up.

Been getting back into playing again after awhile on the shelf, thanks to some friends who have started playing. They're both getting into breeding, so I was wondering if anyone has a pair of the 'ol 6IV Japanese Ditto laying about so I can hook them up.

Go on Reddit. I forgot the sub name but they give out Dittos.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to add me to help me get access to more friends safari's on Pokemon Y

Would really appreciate it if so! My friends code is:
0619-7319-3014

Europe getting the HA Birds next week. Spain at least. Rest likely to follow.

*Spits out tea from the future*

Awesome, I was struggling to get scrap codes.

Wonder if we'll eventually get the HA Sinnoh dragons as well? I'm tentatively assuming TPC wants to level the global playing field for VGC/tournaments.

Muku

I think Nintendo are just deliberately trying to fill up my Wondercard album now. Still, more events are more events!

Yeah, but then when you hit max you gotta start cleaning up. D: Going to be hitting that soon on X and Y... I fear these newer events will have to take the hit. Not deleting my Outbreakchu on those. That event alone had 6. x_x

entremet

I wonder how Volcanion will be distributed in US since we already have tons of events this year.

Now I know how Japan feels!

Muku

I wonder how Volcanion will be distributed in US since we already have tons of events this year.

Now I know how Japan feels!

I imagine it will be same as Diancie and Hoopa. Well I think Hoopa was done same way. Wasn't here for Diancie release. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just enjoy this year while it lasts. I'm sure we'll go back to nothing once it's done. ;p

JoeM86

And the birds are confirmed for Belgium

I'd be very surprised if they didn't announced a UK distribution soon.

Bets on how? My money is on Smyths, if not GAME.

And the birds are confirmed for Belgium

I'd be very surprised if they didn't announced a UK distribution soon.

Bets on how? My money is on Smyths, if not GAME.

Don't let us down UK!

Would be surprised if it's GAME, but I hope it is. Getting to Smyths is a trek and a half >___<

Top Bottom