• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Seil

Not looking forward either, Mew was already hard enough.. Its even worse as my only way to get one is through gaf..

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I still relied on the maxsoft event to get a Mew despite having GameStops nearby because I forgot and was late to the party. Even when I'm not, though, codes from GameStop tend to suck. I seem to have difficulty whenever I do decide to try, and there's no benefit to it. I never run into anyone and the employees are never fans here either, so there's zero positives to the store distribution for me. Add to that it's GameStop and well -.-

Edit: On a positive note, I already have every mythical sans Volcanion for my living dex. But I still want these anyway x.x Especially wanted Mew because it's, well, Mew, so I'm glad I got a chance in the end.

Muku

Not looking forward either, Mew was already hard enough.. Its even worse as my only way to get one is through gaf..

That is reason I do the hunting I do. To help folks get one that can't. It sucks mainly because the GameStops are just so damn stingy. But it's totally worth it when I have folks so happy to get the code. It's fun to spread the Pokemon love.

Seil, they're great to get because they're part of the 20th anniversary. So at end you can say you have a full set of them. :D But glad the Maxsoft deal helped ya out. It was easy to miss out on Mew since it was the start of it.

Edit: Just checked Maxsoft promotion in another browser and see they're now out of codes. :eek: Not surprising. A lot of folks who missed out jumped on that.

Seil

That is reason I do the hunting I do. To help folks get one that can't. It sucks mainly because the GameStops are just so damn stingy. But it's totally worth it when I have folks so happy to get the code. It's fun to spread the Pokemon love.

Seil, they're great to get because they're part of the 20th anniversary. So at end you can say you have a full set of them. :D But glad the Maxsoft deal helped ya out. It was easy to miss out on Mew since it was the start of it.

Edit: Just checked Maxsoft promotion in another browser and see they're now out of codes. :eek: Not surprising. A lot of folks who missed out jumped on that.

Yeah I've never managed to get an extra code from my GameStop(s), though I tend to only go to one in the end because the other is in a terrible location, sharing a tiny parking lot with a Starbucks... Actually they both have shitty parking, that one's just the worse of the two lol.

Always great to see people grabbing extras for the people who can't here, though.

Also yeah, the Maxsoft deal honestly lasted way longer than I expected. I think it went on for about 10 hours after you posted it in the thread, usually these things dry up within the hour, though they sometimes get another hour later with a second surge of codes.

Muku

Also yeah, the Maxsoft deal honestly lasted way longer than I expected. I think it went on for about 10 hours after you posted it in the thread, usually these things dry up within the hour, though they sometimes get another hour later with a second surge of codes.

That's what shocked me. I think it was still going on a day after I posted it but could be wrong. But it lasted way longer than I thought it would. Though think more it got spread quicker it disappeared. Just happy to see folks where ever it was shared that couldn't get one finally get one. The joy of finally obtaining their own Mew. I mean... I remember entering the Nintendo Power contest back in day in hopes of being one of the 151 people they'd choose to get Mew. XD Didn't happen, but just as well since we couldn't transfer up. Mew is just a classic one to want.

Ahnez

Due to college, I'm not checking this thread very often

I didn't even knew there was a maxsoft mew dist

Woops lol

Could have grabbed one for my sister. :p Anyway, I ended giving mine to her, so everything was ok in the end

Muku

Due to college, I'm not checking this thread very often

I didn't even knew there was a maxsoft mew dist

Woops lol

Could have grabbed one for my sister. :p Anyway, I ended giving mine to her, so everything was ok in the end

Did you need one?

Ahnez

Did you need one?
I actually tried to get two codes during Feb, one for me and one for my sister, but since I got only one I gave mine to her. Its technically mine too, so I'm not really missing Mew

It was just to make things easier/more convenient :p

Muku

I actually tried to get two codes during Feb, one for me and one for my sister, but since I got only one I gave mine to her. Its technically mine too, so I'm not really missing Mew

It was just to make things easier/more convenient :p

Ah, okay. Well, I actually have one extra if you need/want it. Was from the code when I was testing the Maxsoft before posting here to see if it still had codes.

EndMerit

Is there any difference between physical and Eshop download versions? I imagine there shouldn't be, except for how the save data is handled/stored without a physical cartridge.
Any performance differences or anything to choose one over the other?

Muku

Actually, I would be really happy, if there's no problem for you :p

There's no problem. Wasn't actually sure to do with little guy. Put him PokeBank to hold on to but would prefer he have a home. :) Won't be home for another hour, but just send me a message when would work for you so you can have him. :)

Ahnez

There's no problem. Wasn't actually sure to do with little guy. Put him PokeBank to hold on to but would prefer he have a home. :) Won't be home for another hour, but just send me a message when would work for you so you can have him. :)
Well I'm free today, when you can is good to me :p

Muku

Well I'm free today, when you can is good to me :p

Hah that works. Will send you a message when I get in then.

Can't wait to drop kick Sprint. Japanese cell contract expires in Dec. Yay. Actually like SoftBank but Sprint is driving me nuts. One sec 4G next no service. Here is to it posting this time for real.

Ahnez

Hah that works. Will send you a message when I get in then.

Can't wait to drop kick Sprint. Japanese cell contract expires in Dec. Yay. Actually like SoftBank but Sprint is driving me nuts. One sec 4G next no service. Here is to it posting this time for real.

Seil

Is there any difference between physical and Eshop download versions? I imagine there shouldn't be, except for how the save data is handled/stored without a physical cartridge.
Any performance differences or anything to choose one over the other?

I don't think there're any performance differences, or at least not anything noticeable if there are. I've bought X, OR and AS physically, though, and Y digitally. Kind of wish I'd gotten Y physically, too. But my reason is just because it annoys the hell out of me always having Y pop up in Bank. So many times I've accidentally selected it because I got in a hurry -.-

The other downside would be you can't use the save backup feature for Pokemon games, so if something happened you could lose your save permanently with a digital game. And, of course, you can pop a physical copy into another 3DS for trading or whatever.

Rokam

So I've missed out on B/W 2, XY, and these, considering buy a 3DS and picking up one from each series. Should I play them in order of release or does it matter much? I remember Black being heavily story based compared to other games and have read 2 continues that trend. Does XY focus quite a bite on the story as well?

So I've missed out on B/W 2, XY, and these, considering buy a 3DS and picking up one from each series. Should I play them in order of release or does it matter much? I remember Black being heavily story based compared to other games and have read 2 continues that trend. Does XY focus
quite a bite on the story as well?

The order really doesn't matter but I'd play them in release order.

BW2 continues the trend although not as much as the original. XY is basically back to Gen 4 levels of storytelling. I found what story was there pretty boring tbh, can't even remember what the goal of the evil team was.

It doesn't matter too much, since I played XY first and went back to BW and adapted fine. But I'd probably play them in order if you can.

XY's story is totally forgettable like the other games, but the graphics and presentation are better. Battling and trading online is much smoother as well (and you can't go online in BW2 or any DS game anymore).

Seil

So I've missed out on B/W 2, XY, and these, considering buy a 3DS and picking up one from each series. Should I play them in order of release or does it matter much? I remember Black being heavily story based compared to other games and have read 2 continues that trend. Does XY focus quite a bite on the story as well?

I'd recommend you play them in order, partly because I tend to find it jarring going from the newest mechanics to older ones, UI and otherwise. Gen V holds up better than IV in this regard, though. I can go back to the Gen V games, especially the sequels, without much problem though I hardly have a reason to now.

As far as story goes, XY unfortunately falls flat compared to BW imo. Though there are things I liked about it. Like notes/books that describe the history a bit. It felt like XY was setting up for something bigger, though I guess it didn't in the end, unless Sun and Moon surprise us with some connection.

quick question, is ORAS as easy as Pokemon Y and X? just started playing Y this month and it is frustratingly easy

I'm not the best person to comment on this since I consider them all easy, because there's not a single pokemon game I can't roll through by focusing on my starter. But if we're comparing ORAS and XY, it'll be just as easy, some people say easier. It always depends on how you play though. I feel it's on the player to control the difficulty, item usage, exp share, focusing on one pokemon or a balanced team. I never go into a pokemon game expecting a challenge in the story, because it's just not there. GSC/HGSS have problems with level scaling and stuff in general, which really screws over people that try to focus on a team imo rather than one or two pokemon, but I consider that a flaw rather than difficulty.

It's been a while, but I think ORAS is slightly harder if only because it's based on an older game. Just remember to turn off EXP Share for an actual challenge.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OK, this is crazy. I've been soft-resetting OR on and off in search of a shiny Ho-Oh for almost two months now, and still no luck. It can appear, right?

OK, this is crazy. I've been soft-resetting OR on and off in search of a shiny Ho-Oh for almost two months now, and still no luck. It can appear, right?

You're either unlucky or not lucky enough. Every legend from the rings can be shiny AFAIK and I'm pretty sure Ho-oh is no different.

Seil

You're either unlucky or not lucky enough. Every legend from the rings can be shiny AFAIK and I'm pretty sure Ho-oh is no different.

Correct. The only shiny locked, non-event Pokemon in ORAS are Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza and Deoxys. All the other legendaries you can catch can be shiny.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I believed shiny Ho-Oh could be acquired in OR, just wanted to make sure. Guess my shiny luck has ran out after Fennekin (as my starter, even!), Lugia (630 resets, caught it with a single Premier Ball) and Eevee (only took 62 eggs with the Masuda method), plus a random Pidgey from Friend Safari...

Here's to two more months of hunting :'(

JoeM86

Interesting new Battle Competition coming

Flash Clash
CeptBtxWIAAVwLH.jpg

Region: International (excluding Japan)
Registration Period: April 21st 2016 - April 28th 2016
Battle Period: April 29th 2016 - May 1st 2016
Battle Type: Single Battle
Battle Limits: 20 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex.
Banned Pokémon:Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, and Hoopa., Pokémon not captured or hatched in X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Banned Items: Mega Stones, Focus Sash
Entry Gift: 2000 PokéMiles

This competition is unique in that matches will only last 5 minutes and you only have 10 seconds to select a move. You can only use 1 of your 6 Pokémon in each battle

Muku

When I shiny hunt, I keep tabs on how many times I've done it. Mainly because two months can mean a couple hundred tries or thousands of tries, depending on how active the person is going for it. Cresselia was my worst at over 3.5k tries.

Ho-oh can be shiny. SRing in AS first so mine was Lugia. Strangely enough, it was the quickest one at 176. :( Feel kind of guilty now. Actually, I'm glad of all the ones he popped up earliest though. Not sure I'd have want to been stuck down there forever.

Keep going though! It's totally worth it once the beast pops up shiny! :D So far have gotten Latios, Lugia, Heatran, Coballion, Virizion, Cresselia, Terrakion, and Suicune shiny. Working on Raikou now but not very far with his.

I'm not even sure after I get the shinies in ORAS that I care so much about beating E4 or anything. XD I am sure I will, but once I found most things weren't shiny locked that became my whole reason for ORAS.

Interesting new Battle Competition coming

This competition is unique in that matches will only last 5 minutes and you only have 10 seconds to select a move. You can only use 1 of your 6 Pokémon in each battle

Hang on, so each battle is 1 Pokemon vs 1 Pokemon? Couldn't you just win/lose in one turn depending on the matchup? Or are we supposed to be using tanks?

I see, so as I imagined. Now I'm wondering what kind of matches could last anything near 5 minutes.

Maybe if you both pick Pokemon that are not effective against the other? Like two Psychics? Or what about two Electric types with Lightning Rod or something? XD

Ahnez

Wow, got yet another Mew

Promised it to a friend who also missed the event

Its so nice the feeling of being able to help someone :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When I shiny hunt, I keep tabs on how many times I've done it. Mainly because two months can mean a couple hundred tries or thousands of tries, depending on how active the person is going for it. Cresselia was my worst at over 3.5k tries.

Ho-oh can be shiny. SRing in AS first so mine was Lugia. Strangely enough, it was the quickest one at 176. :( Feel kind of guilty now. Actually, I'm glad of all the ones he popped up earliest though. Not sure I'd have want to been stuck down there forever.

Keep going though! It's totally worth it once the beast pops up shiny! :D So far have gotten Latios, Lugia, Heatran, Coballion, Virizion, Cresselia, Terrakion, and Suicune shiny. Working on Raikou now but not very far with his.

I'm not even sure after I get the shinies in ORAS that I care so much about beating E4 or anything. XD I am sure I will, but once I found most things weren't shiny locked that became my whole reason for ORAS.
I kept the count with Lugia, but here I decided not to. Which is probably a good thing, otherwise I would have gone mad. If it's any useful, I went through the first 6 Rocky movies, first 7 Death Note episodes, several AVGN videos and a bunch of music albums while resetting for Ho-Oh. I also wrote an Unravel review and browsed GAF during the hunt, plus played a bit of Squarecells. I feel like giving up, but that would mean all this effort went to waste, not to mention lacking one of a pair since I already have my pink Lugia.

I both envy and admire your shiny collection, that's some serious dedication and willpower! I wanted to go for a shiny Giratina afterwards, but now I won't even dream about it :p

I see, so as I imagined. Now I'm wondering what kind of matches could last anything near 5 minutes.

Maybe if you both pick Pokemon that are not effective against the other? Like two Psychics? Or what about two Electric types with Lightning Rod or something? XD
No items, Magikarp only, Splash!

You can replace Magikarp with an unevolved Metapod or Kakuna.

Muku

I kept the count with Lugia, but here I decided not to. Which is probably a good thing, otherwise I would have gone mad. If it's any useful, I went through the first 6 Rocky movies, first 7 Death Note episodes, several AVGN videos and a bunch of music albums while resetting for Ho-Oh. I also wrote an Unravel review and browsed GAF during the hunt, plus played a bit of Squarecells. I feel like giving up, but that would mean all this effort went to waste, not to mention lacking one of a pair since I already have my pink Lugia.

I both envy and admire your shiny collection, that's some serious dedication and willpower! I wanted to go for a shiny Giratina afterwards, but now I won't even dream about it :p

It does take dedication and time, but it's really worth it. I'm working on a shiny Dex, so being able to have them with me as OT guarantees they are legit. (As I caught them in ORAS... I know you could probably gen them like that but where's the fun?) Cresselia nearly broke me. But I figured at the 3k mark I couldn't give up. Otherwise it would all be pointless. Anything that potentially goes beyond that might make me go insane though. LOL.

You should totally go for shiny Giratina. The feels you get when it pops up shiny...

Theorymon

I don't shiny hunt myself, but I feel your guys pain, since I soft reset for competitive Pokemon. I dunno if people would consider this blasphemous or not, but I'd probably throw away a shiny if it had bad stats, because as far as I'm concerned, beauty means nothing if I can't use it well on the online ladders x_x

That being said, I actually caught a shiny Giratina by sheer luck back when Diamond and Pearl were new. Soft reseting in gen 4 makes current soft reseting look reasonable, and thats saying something!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'd pick something that can hit hard and has good coverage, like Gengar. Unless it's dealing with Suckerpunch it'll just mow through most threats.

I don't shiny hunt myself, but I feel your guys pain, since I soft reset for competitive Pokemon. I dunno if people would consider this blasphemous or not, but I'd probably throw away a shiny if it had bad stats, because as far as I'm concerned, beauty means nothing if I can't use it well on the online ladders x_x

That being said, I actually caught a shiny Giratina by sheer luck back when Diamond and Pearl were new. Soft reseting in gen 4 makes current soft reseting look reasonable, and thats saying something!

I'm in the same boat, although I'd probably keep the shiny and just start another playthrough.

One day, I'd love to get a shiny AND competitive legend, like Reshiram, but that's just crazy. That said, I do have a comp shiny Jirachi and Xerneas, but those are the event shiny ones, which is a *bit* easier.

Right now, I'm still SRing shiny Rayquaza in hopes of getting a comp one. Got close with a Lonely 31/31/31/30/30/30, but I want a faster one.

Muku

I'd love comp shiny Pokemon, but that's a new level of patience I don't have. Hahah. Already stretch mine as it is just shiny hunting. XD

WPS

Talking of shinies, I've been training all my shinies up so I have a small army of cool things to use in random battles (EV training, even though they're mostly random encounters and thus not that great), and while doing so I've just found another one!

Quick feet Red Zigzagoon. I've named it Shinierzig, in honour of my brother's Linoone formerly known as Shinyzig (curse you name filter!), who was caught in the exact same route, three generations ago.

I don't know yet if I'll evolve it.

Hegarol

Shiny Mewtwo event in Japan through scraps. Guess I need at least 16 :)

Still no word on the birds for Germany. Getting a bit worried.

Muku

Shiny Mewtwo event in Japan through scraps. Guess I need at least 16 :)

Still no word on the birds for Germany. Getting a bit worried.

I'm sad about birds too. :( Although of course Shiny Mewtwo is there now and can't get it. Argh. Shinies are what catch my attention right now. Want legit ones. And he's not in ORAS, which is probably why he's in scrap campaign.

Articalys

What the hell is scraps

*research*

Oh, so it's a thing where you buy real-world merch and get points for it that count towards in-game rewards.

Aequitas

Posted this in a couple other threads already, if anyone has an extra celebi from the event, I'm willing to trade an NA Mew code for it.

Top Bottom