• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

KiraFA37

This got me wondering... I think I heard female pokémon can pass down moves in X and Y. Is that true? I somehow received an adamant female Growlithe with Close Combat and Flare Blitz as egg moves, and was wondering if I'd be able to pass those moves on somehow.

Both male and female pass egg moves in XY. See below for more gender differences.

Can someone give me a quick run-down of how to best breed Pokemon with hidden abilities? I have a Prankster Riolu to practice with, but assume it'll be a pain in the ass going for a shiny one cos it's a baby.

Ideally, I want to breed for a Protean Froakie, but no-one in my friend safari has one.

Female pokemon pass their HA 80% 60% of the time, male only 20% if breeding with a ditto. So Ideale would be to chain breed a female to get the best offspring the fastest. This together with the fact that the female passes the type of pokeball the child will be in, except if the female is ditto, are the only differences in gender breeding.
In your case I would chain breed for female Riolus to pass their HA, slap an everstone on it to pass the best nature and a God Ditto with a destiny knot to get the best IVs.

Do you still need a Froakie with protean? I can breed some for you.

MicH

Can someone give me a quick run-down of how to best breed Pokemon with hidden abilities? I have a Prankster Riolu to practice with, but assume it'll be a pain in the ass going for a shiny one cos it's a baby.

Ideally, I want to breed for a Protean Froakie, but no-one in my friend safari has one.
I don't have a a Protean Froakie, but I have a ton of breeding rejects of various (HA) Pokemon. If you need something I may have it

macklelol

Both male and female pass egg moves in XY. See below for more gender differences.

Female pokemon pass their HA 80% of the time, male only 20%. So Ideale would be to chain breed a female to get the best offspring the fastest. This together with the fact that the female passes the type of pokeball the child will be in, except if the female is ditto, are the only differences in gender breeding.
In your case I would chain breed for female Riolus to pass their HA, slap an everstone on it to pass the best nature and a God Ditto with a destiny knot to get the best IVs.

Males can't pass down HAs unless they're breeding with a Ditto. And trying to pass down HAs is more like a 50 or 60% chance or so, definitely not 80%. That's the percentage of passing down normal abilities.

Chopper

Female pokemon pass their HA 80% of the time, male only 20%. So Ideale would be to chain breed a female to get the best offspring the fastest. This together with the fact that the female passes the type of pokeball the child will be in, except if the female is ditto, are the only differences in gender breeding.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, if you can get your hands on a Protean Froakie for me, that'd be awesome. I wanna breed the IVs myself, so any reject will do!

I don't have a a Protean Froakie, but I have a ton of breeding rejects of various (HA) Pokemon. If you need something I may have it
Thanks for the offer. I'm still getting my head around HAs, so I'm not sure what's worth getting my hands on. What are some of the more popular HAs?

Soiks

God-Ditto
Unlikely as it is, if anyone's got one of these spare, it'd be much appreciated then.

I got some Protean Froakies when I was wonder-trading stuff a while back. Not sure about the IV's but you can have one if you want?

KiraFA37

Males can't pass down HAs unless they're breeding with a Ditto. And trying to pass down HAs is more like a 50 or 60% chance or so, definitely not 80%. That's the percentage of passing down normal abilities.

You're correct, just pulled the wrong percentages out of my head.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, if you can get your hands on a Protean Froakie for me, that'd be awesome. I wanna breed the IVs myself, so any reject will do!
Thanks for the offer. I'm still getting my head around HAs, so I'm not sure what's worth getting my hands on. What are some of the more popular HAs?

On it already, my FC is on my profile and IGN is Calum. Prankster Sableye, I have a stock of those with 5IV and they have netted me over 15-20 legendaries already.
Edit: Protean Froakie is ready.

Chopper

You're correct, just pulled the wrong percentages out of my head.

On it already, my FC is on my profile and IGN is Calum. Prankster Sableye, I have a stock of those with 5IV and they have netted me over 15-20 legendaries already.
Edit: Protean Froakie is ready.
Great. Thanks! Ready when you are.

Edit: Thanks alot! This poor little Froakie is about to be repeatedly sexually dominated by GOD DITTO!

LaNaranja

What is the standard Protean Greninja build, if there is one? I run Shadow Sneak, U-Turn, Acrobatics, and Power-Up Punch with no item, 252 Speed and Attack. After a Power-Up Punch or two Acrobatics sweeps a lot of stuff.

macklelol

What is the standard Protean Greninja build, if there is one? I run Shadow Sneak, U-Turn, Acrobatics, and Power-Up Punch with no item, 252 Speed and Attack. After a Power-Up Punch or two Acrobatics sweeps a lot of stuff.

I'd say special attacker Greninja is the more popular set. U-turn + 3 coverage attacks of your choice, or just 4 coverage attacks.

one_kill

No Water Shuriken?

Actually, nvm Water Shuriken. Greninja's fast enough to outspeed many.

MicH

I wanted to put it in but I didn't know what to take out. Also there is something funny to me about having a Greninja that doesn't know any water moves.
I actually like that set. It trucks your opponents too, as they probably expect you to go for a water or an ice type move

fek

I saw a japanese passerby asking for an Arceus and I offered one asking for his bank Celebi. His Celebi is Modest with perfect IVs in HP, Sp. Atk and Speed, pretty nice deal.
Still looking for more bank Celebi in case anyone wants to get rid of theirs.

one_kill

I saw a japanese passerby asking for an Arceus and I offered one asking for his bank Celebi. His Celebi is Modest with perfect IVs in HP, Sp. Atk and Speed, pretty nice deal.
Why are you collecting bank Celebi?

Chopper

I appreciate that the answer to this question might very well be complicated, but how can I ensure Hidden Power Fire on a Protean Greninja? If I'm gunning for perfect IVs, doesn't that limit my options a bit?! Is there an HP "checker" who will tell you your power type?

MicH

I appreciate that the answer to this question might very well be complicated, but how can I ensure Hidden Power Fire on a Protean Greninja? If I'm gunning for perfect IVs, doesn't that limit my options a bit?! Is there an HP "checker" who will tell you your power type?
HP checker is in Anistar. Breeding for HP is insanely difficult

WonderPup

I don't know if it's exactly the same in this generation for type (I know the power numbers were reduced), but in past generations, your speed IV needed to be 30 (among other things).

Wichu

You need even Attack, Sp. Atk, and Speed, and odd everything else. It's not actually as hard as people make it out to be - if you have B/W/B2/W2, get my HP Fire Ditto from Pokécheck, and it's not much more difficult than breeding for quint-flawless.

ugoo18

Yea sure, how many more do you need? I think I added you already, what's your IGN?
Edit: Change of plans, sleep just hit me in the face, going to bed.
Edit2: Just noticed I became (evolved into) a full member!

Ahh damm, alright then.

Congrats on becoming a full member.

Korosenai

Is there anyway you could clone it for me? That actually sounds about as good as you can get for Celebi.

Wichu

Oh cool. So... How do I go about getting that? :)

Pokécheck is a custom GTS server that lets people share their Pokémon. It currently only works with 4th and 5th gen games (X/Y support is coming soon).

Basically, what you do is set your DS's DNS settings (in Wi-Fi settings) to point to Pokécheck's address. Then, you can download any Pokémon from the site to your game by visiting the GTS. Once you have that in a 5th gen game, just Bank it over to X/Y. The site has pretty detailed instructions if you get stuck.

Pokémon from Pokécheck are given the Premier Ribbon to mark them as downloaded from an unofficial source (and to prevent them being traded on the GTS), but they transfer fine to X/Y and are perfectly fine for breeding.

one_kill

I'm going to test out Pokecheck now. If it works, I know what I'm going to be wasting my time on lol

Edit: It worked! Couldn't get Meloetta, but I'm assuming shiny Meloetta isn't legit.

macklelol

I can't clone, but if anyone can do that, I can lend it.

I'll try to get my friend to clone my timid bank Celebi, if you don't have a timid one yet. Just give me a few days to convince him lol

Unless someone here wants to clone my timid Celebi.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm an idiot, I thought Lucario based speed is 80... That costs me quite a few of matches lately because I always assume Rotom-H/W or those hovering between 80-90 will go first.

I'm going to test out Pokecheck now. If it works, I know what I'm going to be wasting my time on lol

Edit: It worked! Couldn't get Meloetta, but I'm assuming shiny Meloetta isn't legit.

Jirachi can't be shiny too.

Wichu

Celebi, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Keldeo and Meloetta can't be shiny.

Technically, Jirachi can be shiny, but Game Freak seems to disagree and doesn't let even legitimate shiny Jirachi through Bank :/

fek

I'll try to get my friend to clone my timid bank Celebi, if you don't have a timid one yet. Just give me a few days to convince him lol

Unless someone here wants to clone my timid Celebi.
That would be awesome, I don't have a timid one yet. Any legendary you would be interested in?

El_Chino

As soon as I wanted to try this out, my laptop bugs out -_-.

Cleaning out some boxes and noticed I still have a leftover Keldeo if anyone would like.
Hey man, got any spare legendary beasts? Need it for the pokedex.

ugoo18

Really starting to dislike critical hits.....

Just had a multi battle against a Sylveon that had managed to boost it's Defence by 1 stage and it's SpA and SpD by at least 3 stages.

I send out my bulky Malamar and use Topsy turvy, granted Malamar is weak to Fairy but i expect a bulky Malamar to survive hits from a -3 Sylveon....

Nope critical hit has to strike then and nearly OHKOs Malamar :/

Opponents team was an Eevee team with Vaporeon and Umbreon. His teammate had two pokemon left, his Mega Venusaur on the field and a Swellow that was being kept out by stealth rock.

*sigh* could have been a great comeback lol, ahh well maybe next time.

one_kill

Really starting to dislike critical hits.....

Just had a multi battle against a Sylveon that had managed to boost it's Defence by 1 stage and it's SpA and SpD by at least 3 stages.

I send out my bulky Malamar and use Topsy turvy, granted Malamar is weak to Fairy but i expect a bulky Malamar to survive hits from a -3 Sylveon....

Nope critical hit has to strike then and nearly OHKOs Malamar :/

Opponents team was an Eevee team with Vaporeon and Umbreon. His teammate had two pokemon left, his Mega Venusaur on the field and a Swellow that was being kept out by stealth rock.

*sigh* could have been a great comeback lol, ahh well maybe next time.
Yeah it's tough, but you just need to roll with the RNG :(

A few days ago I was eating up all these OHKO moves. It was annoying.

ugoo18

I really wish Carbink could learn rapid spin.....

I mean it's essentially a giant top, if Spinda could learn it there really is not reason for Carbink not to be able to learn it.

one_kill

Spent about an hour or so getting random shinies that I like using PokeCheck. It's pretty daunting, but at least it's not as bad as MMing or cloning trade bait.

I hope it becomes available to XY soon just because it'll probably be faster to acquire the Pokemon than it is on BW/BW2.

So I visited the old man after this long time to see how was my pokemon doing with him, The old man died =c
Such a touching side story. It happened to me in real life. A puppy was born to a breeding family who was giving them away. I adopted one and gave it to my 84-year-old grandfather. He lived to see 86 mostly because of the companionship. I love and miss him dearly. But you know how dogs and people can look alike? Since I adopted the dog at his passing, I see my grandfather's face almost every time the dog looks straight at me.

Top Bottom