• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

MicH

Yeah, Yveltal, Xerneas and Zygarde are shinylocked in the game. No way to get their shiny forms yet. Same goes for the BW cover legends

one_kill

Its a good shiny to have. I wonder what color the mega is.
maxresdefault.jpg
So lavender

I like the X legendary more, and yay for tyranitar mega evolution. Not having drought charizard by default sucks, but I can always trade a friend the x stone.

Just got the game a week ago, pretty addicting. One more gym to go, going to pick up a ditto and put some stuff up on the GTS. Hoping to get a Charmander, Squirtle by trading off a Bulbasaur, but I'd also really like the other starters from the other generations.

so, I'm wanting to jump back into Pokemon after the twitch channel...

I loved Pokemon Yellow and Gold, but didn't really follow the series after that too much.

Played through Ruby, which was good, but dont think I did much after that.

I dont think the series will capture the magic of the first 2 gens again, but how do you guys rank Pokemon X and Y in relation to the rest of the series? The franchise looks to have gotten so fatigued and bloated with Black/White, Black White 2, and whatever else came

But XY looks like the best jump since Gold/Silver. I don't want to buy it and regret it, especially if I can get Bravely Default instead.

MicH

I loved Pokemon Yellow and Gold, but didn't really follow the series after that too much.

I dont think the series will capture the magic of the first 2 gens again, but how do you guys rank Pokemon X and Y in relation to the rest of the series? The franchise looks to have gotten so fatigued and bloated with Black/White, Black White 2, and whatever else came

But XY looks like the best jump since Gold/Silver. I don't want to buy it and regret it, especially if I can get Bravely Default instead.
XY are amazing games. First mainland 3D game and it couldn't have been better. The new Pokemon are some of the best yet, IMO. Definitely get one of these two if you want to get back into the game. If you feel like wanting more after that you can get BW/BW2

whynotboth.gif

(or should I say y not both ;)
also cause I think Yveltal being the Pokemon of destruction fits with BD better
)

DaBoss

I don't think you should get it. You don't seem interested. Any entry is perfect to return to as it has happened time and time again where each gen people return to Pokemon, but they do so with an open mind. You don't seem to want to play Pokemon.

But if you do feel like buying a Pokemon game, I suggest HeartGold/SoulSilver. It may suit your want to play a Pokemon game and make you feel nostalgic since it is a remake of the Gen 2 games.

Does anyone know the specifics on Sucker Punch in double? I used it 1 vs 2 and it worked. (My teammate was targeted by the only remaining enemy. I was not hit.) Then I used it 2 vs 2 and it failed. (I was targeted by enemy 2, but I tried sucker punching enemy 1.)

So If there is one enemy and they target your teammate, sucker punch works. But if there are two enemies and you target the wrong one, it fails?

Thanks Muku and Church RvB for the trades!

No problem.

I played gen 1/2, and then pearl (never beat it though) when I felt the series was fatigued. This game is much better, it addressed a lot of my issues (you get exp share early on, was always a hassle to switch pokemon early game to equalize levels), faster movement is almost available at the very beginning, pokemon customization is great (tm's aren't one use, there are move trainers that will retrain forgotten moves, there is a mini game that resets EV's and trains them up so you can't really screw up your pokemon), and the new pokemon are actually appealing in design. I really like the flame hawk pokemon, garchomp, the panda bear one, and some others. Most of my current party is newer gen pokemon.

People like to forget the dumb gen one pokemon but they existed, like eggexecutor and mr. mime.

Well the people have spoken and X has sold the most everywhere, so let that decide which is the most popular one.

I think in general the "game that comes first" in the pairings have sold the most. Ie, Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black and now X. I dunno, maybe someone has some sales figures we could see.

wait the battle against
AZ
(is this really still spoilers? lol) is optional, as in you can reset before it and keep your progress right

Wichu

A common complaint about Black/White was that there were no old Pokémon during the main game. X/Y are the opposite, with the early game particularly being crowded with 1st gen Pokémon - you even get one of the original starters just after the first badge.

Also, one thing Pokémon is consistent with is usability improvements between generations, so gameplay-wise newest is best. Stuff like 8-directional movement (and even free movement on roller skates/bike), the best PC storage interface yet, a less annoying encounter rate (as well as other things you'd have missed from 4th and 5th gen, such as infinite-use TMs)...

The extra features on the bottom screen (Player Search System, Super Training, Pokémon-Amie) are all really good too (PSS in particular is great - it gives a MMO-like feeling to the game, with the ability to easily battle and trade with players all over the world, whenever you want).

I'd say X/Y are definitely worth it, but in the end it's your choice
get both - Pokémon and Bravely Default

Does anyone know the specifics on Sucker Punch in double? I used it 1 vs 2 and it worked. (My teammate was targeted by the only remaining enemy. I was not hit.) Then I used it 2 vs 2 and it failed. (I was targeted by enemy 2, but I tried sucker punching enemy 1.)

So If there is one enemy and they target your teammate, sucker punch works. But if there are two enemies and you target the wrong one, it fails?

The target of Sucker Punch must be attempting to use an attacking move. Whether or not the Sucker Punch user gets attacked doesn't matter.

I was kind of hoping that shiny Zygarde would be black and orange because
of reasons
. It and Yveltal look like champs though! Xerneas... not so much.

^ Thanks for the opinions!

I am not a fan of the new Pokemon design, but Im sure Ill find some I like. The fact that there are lots of old Pokemon is also great.

I intend to get HeartGold as well, but I would love to relive and play Pokemon and enjoy the immense fun I used to have.

XY looks very solid

Reposting this. I have Char X and T-tarite now thanks to Usobuko. Also, that guy is the best. I only wanted the stones and he gave me two perfect shinies holding them. :p

Does anyone have some spare X exclusive mega stones they'd be willing to trade?

So that would include:

Tyranitarite
Manectite
Charizardite X
and Mewtwonite X

I have Pinsirite already. So I have lots of random 5 IV breeding rejects and a few spare legendaries (Gen 3 cover trio, Mewtwo, Mew and Terrakion). PM if interested. :)

If anyone has the remaining two spare I would greatly appreciate it.

Griss

X and Y are easily the best since Silver. I've been playing them since Red/Blue (and I wasn't a little kid then, either) and I reckon that this is the best one ever.

It's a technical disaster, especially the frame rate, but the gameplay is just so smooth, fast and polished, and the 3D visuals add far more to the game than you'd expect a graphical update to. Because the game is about the monsters, the fact that they have all of the personality that 3D allows makes the game 'connect' so much better. At the same time the flow of battle isn't affected at all.

It's just a brilliant game overall, and if you like RPGs at all you should try it.

Usobuko

Banned
MicH, I can trade today. Sorry for making you wait! Breakfast atm.

Also, I acquire a 6IV Modest Xerneas which I think is the best possible stats for Geomancy build. Does any cloners want to take this up and pass it around to PokeGAF? It's kinda hard to get even on gamefaq.

you know, a speedrun of this game capturing all 55 Kalos Pokemon obtainable in a single playthrough without trading would be interesting

Almost done with my living Dex and current Dex on X. I have access to the rest, but I'm currently lacking a couple to finish it. If anyone has an extra of these that I could have, I'd really appreciate it.

Glameow OR Purugly
Baltoy OR Claydol

Only need one on each line, since I can breed/level for other.

Do you still need these?

DaBoss

Good things about X/Y:
- Pokemon distribution, you'll be able to make a diverse, good team
- With EXP Share, you can easily keep all of your Pokemon at the same level and even switch around teams.
- You can beat the SP in less than 10 hours if you know what you're doing
- Makes getting into competitive Pokemon much easier
- Somewhat modern online system
- Customize trainers
- Team Flare is the right kind of silly
- Battles are relatively fast (but poor performance somewhat nullifies this)
- Mega Evolutions is a great and interesting mechanic
- 360 and 8-directional movement
- Berry farming is back!
- Pokemon Global Link is much better
- Riding Pokemon
- Pokemon Amie
- Super Training
- Inverse Battles
- Expanding Pass Powers from the previous games to O-Powers which are great
- Pokemon with 3D models!

Bad things about X/Y:
- Not much new Pokemon
- Lumiose City
- Piss poor post-game content
- Terrible performance (low frame rate, aliasing nearly every where)
- Sky Battles (lol)
- Rivals are terrible and just push overs and lack any depth
- Story just becomes so wtf I don't even know what the hell the writers were thinking
- Gym leaders are easy (EXP Share on or off)
- Level curve becomes weird from Gym 3 to Gym 7 (part of the previous point in a sense)
- Roaming legendaries being implemented in the most dumb system ever
- Most Mega Evolutions are locked to the post-game
- Riding Pokemon is ridiculously limited and dull
- Customization for male trainers is so bad, I'm not even sure why they even bothered
- Same old 8 gyms, Elite 4, Champion formula they should change up
- No Miiverse screenshots
- If Stereoscopic 3D is something you really like, then you will not like the fact that it is very limited, personally, I would easily give it up just for some better performance.

Overall, I enjoyed what I played despite being somewhat disappointed with X/Y, mainly due to the lack of post-game. Now-a-days, the main enjoyment of the games come from post-game content due to how basic they are when it comes to the main games. Pokemon can be much more than rock, paper, scissors, but the main game doesn't seem it will move past that. Coming from Black 2/White 2 which was chock full of post-game content, it was underwhelming.

Regarding the main game, that also disappointed me due to how easy it was. There was a lot of stuff to do during the main game though, which made it fun and made me spend so much time doing stuff I wasn't even progressing through the game for a period of time lol. I also may have had skyhigh expectations for the games though lol, but hopefully the third game is going to address these issues, but I kinda doubt it. A lot of the issues stem from the fact they introduce a lot of stuff, yet they don't implement them in meaningful ways or barely touch upon them. Oh well, will probably be really good outside of that.

JackHerer

Shiny Xerneas
looks pretty terrible from what I can tell from the pics. The other two look pretty nice.
I might get one of those Datel Power Save things. At the very least it makes cloning pokemon really easy.

Ultimadrago

Good things about X/Y:
- Pokemon distribution, you'll be able to make a diverse, good team
- With EXP Share, you can easily keep all of your Pokemon at the same level and even switch around teams.
- You can beat the SP in less than 10 hours if you know what you're doing
- Makes getting into competitive Pokemon much easier
- Somewhat modern online system
- Customize trainers
- Team Flare is the right kind of silly
- Battles are relatively fast (but poor performance somewhat nullifies this)
- Mega Evolutions is a great and interesting mechanic
- 360 and 8-directional movement
- Berry farming is back!
- Pokemon Global Link is much better
- Riding Pokemon
- Pokemon Amie
- Super Training
- Inverse Battles
- Expanding Pass Powers from the previous games to O-Powers which are great
- Pokemon with 3D models!

Bad things about X/Y:
- Not much new Pokemon
- Lumiose City
- Piss poor post-game content
- Terrible performance (low frame rate, aliasing nearly every where)
- Sky Battles (lol)
- Rivals are terrible and just push overs and lack any depth
- Story just becomes so wtf I don't even know what the hell the writers were thinking
- Gym leaders are easy (EXP Share on or off)
- Level curve becomes weird from Gym 3 to Gym 7 (part of the previous point in a sense)
- Roaming legendaries being implemented in the most dumb system ever
- Most Mega Evolutions are locked to the post-game
- Riding Pokemon is ridiculously limited and dull
- Customization for male trainers is so bad, I'm not even sure why they even bothered
- Same old 8 gyms, Elite 4, Champion formula they should change up
- No Miiverse screenshots
- If Stereoscopic 3D is something you really like, then you will not like the fact that it is very limited, personally, I would easily give it up just for some better performance.

Overall, I enjoyed what I played despite being somewhat disappointed with X/Y, mainly due to the lack of post-game. Coming from Black 2/White 2 which was chock full of post-game content. Now-a-days, the main enjoyment of the games come from post-game content due to how basic they are when Pokemon can be much more than rock, paper, scissors that the main game is usually about.

Regarding the main game, that also disappointed me due to how easy it was. There was a lot of stuff to do during the main game though, which made it fun and made me spend so much time doing stuff I wasn't even progressing through the game for a period of time lol. I also may have had skyhigh expectations for the games though lol, but hopefully the third game is going to address these issues, but I kinda doubt it. A lot of the issues stem from the fact they introduce a lot of stuff, yet they don't implement them in meaningful ways or barely touch upon them. Oh well, will probably be really good outside of that.

yixway0nkupu.gif

Jests aside, I do agree with your comments and criticisms. They largely mirror my thoughts on the title(s). I did have a good time and improved breeding added a comical amount of hours to my total game time (though I don't count this as post-game content), but there's a ways to go towards an "optimal" 3d Pokemon mainline title. As far as first tries, certainly a "Could've been better" "Could've been worse" sort of deal.

yixway0nkupu.gif

Jests aside, I do agree with your comments and criticisms. They largely mirror my thoughts on the title(s). I did have a good time and breeding added a comical amount of hours to my total game time (though I don't count this as post-game content), but there's a ways to go towards an "optimal" 3d Pokemon mainline title. As far as first tries, certainly a "Could've been better" "Could've been worse" sort of deal.

I wish Battle Maison was a bit more like Pokemon Stadium. What I mean by that is, you go in with a team of 6 every time and choose which 3 to bring for singles, 4 to bring for doubles, etc. You get to see the opponents 6 pokemon before EVERY battle, just like Pokemon Stadium (like I said). Or does everyone else generally like the way its set up now?

Ultimadrago

And yeah, personally, after all that work with breeding I wanted to face some NPCs that even attempted to pose a challenge (without thrown together counter teams). In light of this, no level-boosting Elite Four nor Leaders' Club was a let-down. I don't play Pokemon "for challenge" to say, but I truly missed flexing my muscles in-game various ways.

I wish Battle Maison was a bit more like Pokemon Stadium. What I mean by that is, you go in with a team of 6 every time and choose which 3 to bring for singles, 4 to bring for doubles, etc. You get to see the opponents 6 pokemon before EVERY battle, just like Pokemon Stadium (like I said). Or does everyone else generally like the way its set up now?

I would've preferred this implementation as well. I've never been a fan of "Choose a limited team and let A.I. peg tomatoes until one sticks." I could see someone arguing for the element of "surprise", but screw surprises.

I've been counter team'd in the Battle Institute twice with the system currently in place. When you have a Lightning Rod Rhyperior taking out your Assault Vest Metagross and dedicated lead Manectric, its hard to make a comeback.

...or Rain Dance Damp Rock Electrode that ruins your Drought Ninetales and everything else that benefits from a Water nerf. I swear its done on purpose.

JulianImp

Can someone give me the lowdown on iv's and what the preferred ones are?

They're basically hidden values that give variation to a pokémon's stats. Unlike EVs (Effort Values), IVs (Individual Values) are fixed as soon as the pokémon is generated and can't be changed.

Ideally, all your pokémon would have the maximum values (31) in any stats you want to use. Stuff such as running a Trick Room team would change things, though (you'd want 0 speed IVs in that case).

Most of us use a god Ditto (called that way because it has 31 IVs for every stat), and let it hold the Destiny Knot item as we breed it with some other pokémon to make the other 'mon's offspring inherit five IVs from among its parents, rather than the usual three (the other IVs are randomly generated).

I begun my breeding chain with a Tangela with Leech Seed, bred it with a Ditto for a few eggs (five, I think), then picked one of its children which had 31 IVs in HP and Defense (you can check a pokémon's IVs with one of the elite trainer guys inside the pokémon center of the town you get to visit once you've beaten the Elite Four). Then, I took my old Tangela out of the daycare and replaced it with its offspring, making sure to level it up beforehand so that it wouldn't forget the egg move I wanted to keep (leech seed) as it leveled up while at the daycare. After about ten more eggs, I finally got a Tangela which inherited five perfect IVs from Ditto (HP, Attack, Defense, SpDef and Speed), and I kept that since I don't care about SpAtk for this Tangrowth.

All in all, it took me about 45 minutes of breeding using Talonflame for its Flame Body ability, but without using the hatching o-power, since I don't have it yet.

Oh, by the way, your pokémon's IVs determine the type of attack Hidden Power is, as well. I know there's some NPC that lets you know the type, but I don't remember where he is at the moment. Unlike in previous generations, Hidden Power has a base power of 60 (previously, the attack's damage also changed depending on your pokémon's IVs).

I wish there was more post-game content in X/Y, but I absolutely adore how much easier they made breeding! It makes up for the lack of extra quests and relative lack of new Pokémon.

I highly recommend X or Y to anyone over the previous games. Everything is just so freaking smooth now!
Except the frame rate.

DaBoss

yixway0nkupu.gif

Jests aside, I do agree with your comments and criticisms. They largely mirror my thoughts on the title(s). I did have a good time and improved breeding added a comical amount of hours to my total game time (though I don't count this as post-game content), but there's a ways to go towards an "optimal" 3d Pokemon mainline title. As far as first tries, certainly a "Could've been better" "Could've been worse" sort of deal.
lol

I fixed up my post a bit cause I was missing a few words due to editing it before, I hate it when that happens.

Yea, I don't really consider breeding a part of post-game either. I just felt they were going to do it when they went on a 4 game streak for me (Platinum, HG/SS, B/W, and B2/W2). I really enjoyed all 4 of those games a lot.
And yeah, personally, after all that work with breeding I wanted to face some NPCs that even attempted to pose a challenge (without thrown together counter teams). In light of this, no level-boosting Elite Four nor Leaders' Club was a let-down. I don't play Pokemon "for challenge" to say, but I truly missed flexing my muscles in-game various ways.
And this is ultimately why I got burnt out from the game. There wasn't anything else I could along with breeding/battling so that I don't feel bored. I couldn't go to newly discovered places outside of one city. I couldn't catch more Pokemon. I couldn't do more sidequest stuff.

WonderPup

I can get you a Litwick with Heat Wave. It'll probably be a few hours until I can get on, though.

macklelol, if you have any other spare Heat Wave Litwicks, I'd love to trade for one. I have a couple of spare 31/31/31/x/31/31 Sand Veil Gabites in premier balls if you like. I don't care what the IVs are; I'm just looked for the egg move.

That's actually a standing offer to anyone who is willing to do the trade.

macklelol

macklelol, if you have any other spare Heat Wave Litwicks, I'd love to trade for one. I have a couple of spare 31/31/31/x/31/31 Sand Veil Gabites in premier balls if you like. I don't care what the IVs are; I'm just looked for the egg move.

That's actually a standing offer to anyone who is willing to do the trade.

Sure, I still have some left. Do I have you added already? I can't remember :l

Top Bottom