• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Muku

I've been training Muku's Vivillon and Sylveon and they've been good to me in the Battle Maison : )

Although stalling with Sleep Powder makes me go all edgy given how fragile Vivillon is. Also ain't got Hyper Beam to test out Pixilate : /

Another thing... worse place to encounter a shiny Pokemon?

During a horde battle when you're EV training? Got no berries to decrease EVs so had to Reset Bag all my hard work >___<

Anyone want a shiny Mareep?

Glad to hear your Vivillon is doing well for ya. But I hear ya. They're fragile.. but oh so cool to use. :)

By the way, what you want for that shiny Mareep? :O Don't have any shinies currently to offer, but do have 6IV Pokemon if interested. Piplup, Ponyta, Zorua, Charmander, Porygon, Eevee.

PBalfredo

What causes the weather to change on the overworld? Is based on time? Number of battles?

I'm trying to horde EV train on Route 19, but I can't use Sweet Scent because it's raining.

lupinko

I just want shiny 6iv axew already so I can get back to 6iv Misdreavus, which will be easier since the shiny for that is awful.

Tempted to try for shiny Braviary, I like the red a lot but the shiny is basically Captain America in bird pokemon form.

JoeM86

For those of you in the UK, it has been announced that on this Friday, April 4th 2014, players of Pokémon X & Pokémon Y will be able to go to GAME stores and receive a Serial Code for Magmar for Pokémon X & Electabuzz for Pokémon Y. No purchase is necessary for this, you just have to ask the staff for the code. It is not known if these Pokémon have anything special.

upandaway

For those of you in the UK, it has been announced that on this Friday, April 4th 2014, players of Pokémon X & Pokémon Y will be able to go to GAME stores and receive a Serial Code for Magmar for Pokémon X & Electabuzz for Pokémon Y. No purchase is necessary for this, you just have to ask the staff for the code. It is not known if these Pokémon have anything special.
Do we know if it's a different code for each person?

Muku

Sweet, just picked up CoroCoro with Pyroar card. So glad they went male version. Female version is just ugh.

Muku

Do you know if the codes handed out will be the same for everyone?

What's special about the Pyroar?

Just a card they're giving out in new one. I just think Pyroar is one of the more interesting newer ones. :) Been wanting a lion forever in Pokemon world. Now I await a tiger of some sort.

Wish shiny Pyroar didn't look like ass. :(

one_kill

Just a card they're giving out in new one. I just think Pyroar is one of the more interesting newer ones. :) Been wanting a lion forever in Pokemon world. Now I await a tiger of some sort.

Wish shiny Pyroar didn't look like ass. :(
Oh it's just a card. I thought it was one of those serial numbers like the one you (or someone else) got before :p

Yeah, Pyroar's pretty cool. Luxray too!

onslack

Does anyone have any spare 6IV dittos? I hear they're good for breeding. Let me know what you'd like in return(and I'll see if I could get one). I'm new to breeding.

If this is the wrong thread for this, I'm sorry.

Do you still need one?

Pm me if you do

Cheers for the head's up.

Hopefully I'll be able to get into town on Friday

Muku

Oh it's just a card. I thought it was one of those serial numbers like the one you (or someone else) got before :p

Yeah, Pyroar's pretty cool. Luxray too!

Luxray I felt was the closest thing to a lion before Pyroar. I used Luxray a lot.. and still like 'em. Just finding as I go on I like his moveset less than other electric types though.

Actually, does anyone here have any Pyroar breeding rejects? Moves, IVs, nature or whatever is all good. If not I'll not worry about it and start from ground up on my own. Though imagine most folks don't really bother with Pyroar.

Ragequits should count as an automatic win for the other player. I just battled someone with 3 Yveltal's and 3 Xerneas'. After I defeated all 3 dragons and one fairy with my Nidoking the connection was lost. Shortly after I battled against a Legendary only team, Palkia, Darkrai, Arceus and things of that nature. He killed my Seismitoad with his Palkia, I sent in Rotom-H and switched his white orb with my choice specs. He missed the Hydro Pump and quitted. :/

JoeM86

Ragequits should count as an automatic win for the other player. I just battled someone with 3 Yveltal's and 3 Xerneas'. After I defeated all 3 dragons and one fairy with my Nidoking the connection was lost. Shortly after I battled against a Legendary only team, Palkia, Darkrai, Arceus and things of that nature. He killed my Seismitoad with his Palkia, I sent in Rotom-H and switched his white orb with my choice specs. He missed the Hydro Pump and quitted. :/

They seem to now, for me at least.

===

Electabuzz & Magmar are holding their evo items

JulianImp

I'm a few pokémon away from finishing my Kalos Dex, so I'd be really grateful if anyone could trade them to me and back. I'm looking for Flogres, Helioptile, Slurpluff, Aromatisse and Zygarde. I'd evolve them if only the evolution items weren't a pain to get, unlike the fire/grass/water stone-based evolutions, and I'm still holding out on catching Zygarde until I can catch one with the right stats and nature.

Also, I didn't even know you'd get a shiny Gible on Black 2 for beating the Black Tower until a few days ago. I then used some broken mons to beat it (as my monoghost team only managed to get me through the first five floors), and ended up getting a decent Gible with a neutral nature and bad attacking stats (around 9 Attack and 12 Special Attack), but perfect Defense and Speed, as well as over 25 in both HP and Special Defense.

Was the requisite to get to the shiny Haxorus just seeing all Unova Dex mons, or do I have to catch them as well?

spiritfox

I'm a few pokémon away from finishing my Kalos Dex, so I'd be really grateful if anyone could trade them to me and back. I'm looking for Flogres, Helioptile, Slurpluff, Aromatisse and Zygarde. I'd evolve them if only the evolution items weren't a pain to get, unlike the fire/grass/water stone-based evolutions, and I'm still holding out on catching Zygarde until I can catch one with the right stats and nature.

Also, I didn't even know you'd get a shiny Gible on Black 2 for beating the Black Tower until a few days ago. I then used some broken mons to beat it (as my monoghost team only managed to get me through the first five floors), and ended up getting a decent Gible with a neutral nature and bad attacking stats (around 9 Attack and 12 Special Attack), but perfect Defense and Speed, as well as over 25 in both HP and Special Defense.

Was the requisite to get to the shiny Haxorus just seeing all Unova Dex mons, or do I have to catch them as well?

I have Florges and Helioptile. Wanna trade for my dex? I need Chestnaught, Pidgeot, Azumarill, Wormadam, Golduck, among others.

Wichu

In an unfortunate turn of events, I probably won't have Wi-Fi access for the next two weeks, putting a stop to my flooding Wonder Trade with 5-6IV Furfrou
and my Gym Leader availability, though that seems to have died a bit

Time to catch more Pokémon for my living dex, I suppose.

JulianImp

I have Florges and Helioptile. Wanna trade for my dex? I need Chestnaught, Pidgeot, Azumarill, Wormadam, Golduck, among others.

Sounds good! I know I have Chesnaught, Pidgeot and Azumarill in my living dex, so I'll probably be able to go online in a while if it's just to get them back from Bank and do a quick trade.

Wichu

hi joe
i heard they have hidden ability.,,is it the same from friend safari ?
Vital Spirit for Electabuzz and Magmar ?

Yeah, the hidden ability is always the same no matter where you got it.

Though having even more ability choices would be awesome. Magmortar really wants that Flash Fire.

JulianImp

Yeah, the hidden ability is always the same no matter where you got it.

Though having even more ability choices would be awesome. Magmortar really wants that Flash Fire.

I'd love to see it, but I'm not sure if it'd be viable for GF to, say, give all mons a second hidden ability for Pokémon Z, and issue a patch to make X and Y compatible with that. Mega evolutions would probably take up a lot more space due to the additional models, textures and base stats that'd be required, though.

So far the only patches I've heard about were issued to fix game-breaking glitches such as the Lumiose save glitch or the InstaCheck battle exploit, or that Wuhu Island exploit in Mario Kart 7... have we ever gotten any game patches from Nintendo that actually added stuff to the games?

Wichu

I'd love to see it, but I'm not sure if it'd be viable for GF to, say, give all mons a second hidden ability for Pokémon Z, and issue a patch to make X and Y compatible with that. Mega evolutions would probably take up a lot more space due to the additional models, textures and base stats that'd be required, though.

So far the only patches I've heard about were issued to fix game-breaking glitches such as the Lumiose save glitch or the InstaCheck battle exploit, or that Wuhu Island exploit in Mario Kart 7... have we ever gotten any game patches from Nintendo that actually added stuff to the games?

I'm pretty certain we won't get new abilities patched in for existing Pokémon, since that would break things (patch data is stored on the SD card; if you remove the SD card, the game returns to its original state).

However, I'm expecting X/Y to get a patch for the inevitable Z-exclusive Mega Evolutions/alternate forms (though they won't be tradeable to X/Y; the patch would just let X/Y players battle Z players).

Looks like the Pokemon website has info on the promo:
en%20Electabuzz%20Summay.jpg
en%20Magmar%20Summay.jpg

Not quite level up moves, HA and random IVs. I assume naughty nature is a just (1/25)^2...

I notice some countries like Spain say you can download these from Nintendo zones though later than the UK (April 14th).

I wonder who will be doing it in Italy (not in Italy its just the page has been translated with no info of who is running it).

v1perz53

Man, I didn't think getting the oval charm would be as much a pain in the ass as it has been, especially since I have access to a fully completed White and White 2. I guess that's what happens when the dex has 450 pokemon. Doesn't help that I seem to have the worst luck ever with finding the pokemon I need. Randomly fighting for XP on victory road, I got 10 or so likitongue hordes. Realize I need a lickilicky, spend 30 min sweet scenting and still no likitongue.

Anyway, I think I am getting too addicted to this game. I just seriously considered buying a used 2DS so that I could have two systems to clone and trade with myself more easily. Probably would've gotten one too if I was able to justify it at all. Best I could do was "well, my brother could use the 2DS and we could do a nuzlocke race or something..."

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for the fastest way to level a freshly hatched pokemon? Dragonite is on my competitive team, but getting a dratini from 1 to 55 took a pretty long time. I used Restaurant le WoW, is there a better way? I heard battle chateau with the furoside girls was good, but I am still only like rank 3 there, so I don't think I have access to anything useful yet.

JulianImp

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for the fastest way to level a freshly hatched pokemon? Dragonite is on my competitive team, but getting a dratini from 1 to 55 took a pretty long time. I used Restaurant le WoW, is there a better way? I heard battle chateau with the furoside girls was good, but I am still only like rank 3 there, so I don't think I have access to anything useful yet.

Personally, I just grind some of the higher-level hordes, in case I manage to get some shinies. Mold Breaker Pinsir laughs at Victory Road's Graveler hordes, Route 19 has Spindas lots of the time, and #18 has lots of Weepinbells and Arboks, which double as good Atk EV sources.

So far, I've gotten Ampharos, Greninja, Vespiquen and Talonflame up to level 100 just by having them grind hordes for other pokémon, and now Pinsir's on its high eighties now that I've realized Victory Road is a breeze thanks to its ability.

Finally got the Masters rank in the Battle Institute last night. Tried Doubles with Zard Y and Scarf Eruption Typhlosion. Got it first try. FINALLY. Goooooooo cheese!

For leveling... Lucky Eggs + Second card in a different language + Exp Power Level 3/S + Le Wow Triples should be the fastest.

I'm pretty certain we won't get new abilities patched in for existing Pokémon, since that would break things (patch data is stored on the SD card; if you remove the SD card, the game returns to its original state).
That's not what happens at all. Go try it. Save the game first though!

Does anywhere have info about EXP species themselves give out? Some clearly give much more like Audino (btw, friend safari can also work here if you have access to one). I'm curious if Spinda does something similar (but not yet curious enough to try myself and note down the EXP).

Outside of hordes (and potentially open to v1perz53). The absolute fastest way is rare candies of course but it is a lot of Pokemiles (about 10,000 or so I think gets you level 55) but as they say, time is money. If you have lots of them spare it beats the trolling that is balloon popping (I personally also buy heart scales as I've had bad luck with Luvdisc).

If we're looking long term a money grind to get battle chateau up a few more ranks is the best bet (you can then use the money for vitamins to make EV training that bit faster...remember vitamins when you start a stat...again time is money). First furosade girls show up in rank 4 (which is apparently beating 40 trainers...rank 3 is 20 so at least halfway there) and the second set in rank 5 (apparently 140 trainers). As for writ of challenge, blue lowers levels so don't use it. At the end of the day it is not consistent (you have dry runs where there will be no girls present so have to come back when the trainers refresh).

As for the other hardware thought. Yes it has crossed my mind. At least I justify mine being a different region...

Edit: I was going to say replays could desync if Pokemon got HAs changed (a good header* wouldn't let you play them back unless the game ver was the same but I doubt Pokemon has one) but since the SD card is removed...

The Pokemon themselves should be fine (though their ability would obviously revert). Like how people got gen V HA starters into gen VI by changing the ability flag. I still think it is unlikely which is a shame. Same goes for adding regions (what happens if you save in them? the bug free thing they could do is make the frontier style stuff an option in an existing area of the game)

*-They should have included one in case they had another Gravity + Sky Drop style bug which got patched so moves didn't get banned from battle spot this gen. But they probably don't because gamefreak.

v1perz53

Personally, I just grind some of the higher-level hordes, in case I manage to get some shinies. Mold Breaker Pinsir laughs at Victory Road's Graveler hordes, Route 19 has Spindas lots of the time, and #18 has lots of Weepinbells and Arboks, which double as good Atk EV sources.

So far, I've gotten Ampharos, Greninja, Vespiquen and Talonflame up to level 100 just by having them grind hordes for other pokémon, and now Pinsir's on its high eighties now that I've realized Victory Road is a breeze thanks to its ability.

Ahh I like this suggestion a lot! Not to mention 15 minutes in I found a shiny geodude. Though there are few shinies as disappointing as the geodude line..

What does the second card in a different language do for XP? Also I totally forgot about XP O-power, so much time wasted.

Glad to hear your Vivillon is doing well for ya. But I hear ya. They're fragile.. but oh so cool to use. :)

By the way, what you want for that shiny Mareep? :O Don't have any shinies currently to offer, but do have 6IV Pokemon if interested. Piplup, Ponyta, Zorua, Charmander, Porygon, Eevee.

Oh you can just take it for free later, when I get the chance. I've received a ton of favours from you and I'm not too bothered about shinies of Pokemon I'm not using (although Shiny Mega Ampharos is tempting) : P

Anyway, just managed to get 5000 points in single Battle Institute. Not bad considering I got totally floored the first time.

It's funny seeing Vivillon wipe the floor with the likes of Suicune, Cresselia and even Heatran (although the latter was sheer luck thanks to Hurricane causing confusion) o__o

Also that feeling when you're looking through your Wonder Trade junk and realised a "trash" Fletchling is actually totally awesome
female with Hidden Ability? Thanks!

JulianImp

Ahh I like this suggestion a lot! Not to mention 15 minutes in I found a shiny geodude. Though there are few shinies as disappointing as the geodude line..

What does the second card in a different language do for XP? Also I totally forgot about XP O-power, so much time wasted.

Congratulations on the shiny Geodude! I heard people struggle against Geodude hordes because of Sturdy and nuking each other with Magnitude. AFAIK, it's not the best way to grind for experience, but it's one I like. I got a nice shiny Spinda thanks to this method without even having a shiny charm.

As far as I know, you can get the following experience bonuses:
  • Having a pokémon hold a Lucky Egg (1.5x)
  • Using the O-Power that boosts experience gain (2x at level 3)
  • Having a pokémon gain experience past the level it'd evolve in (1.5x, and only good for level-based evolutions)
  • The pokémon doesn't belong to you (1.5x)

Back to my Kalos Dex, I only need Zygarde, Slurpluff and Aromatisse now. If anyone has them and would like any other dex entries for them, just let me know.

You move the Pokemon over to level them up. Then you get both the "Don't belong to you" bonus and the "Foreign Pokemon" bonus, though I don't think many people know about the latter.

KiraFA37

Congratulations on the shiny Geodude! I heard people struggle against Geodude hordes because of Sturdy and nuking each other with Magnitude. AFAIK, it's not the best way to grind for experience, but it's one I like. I got a nice shiny Spinda thanks to this method without even having a shiny charm.

As far as I know, you can get the following experience bonuses:
  • Having a pokémon hold a Lucky Egg (1.5x)
  • Using the O-Power that boosts experience gain (2x at level 3)
  • Having a pokémon gain experience past the level it'd evolve in (1.5x, and only good for level-based evolutions)
  • The pokémon doesn't belong to you (1.5x)

Back to my Kalos Dex, I only need Zygarde, Slurpluff and Aromatisse now. If anyone has them and would like any other dex entries for them, just let me know.

Getting 2 hearts with pokemon amie gives 1.2x.

Ultimadrago

Anyone have 5-6 IV Modest/Timid Vivillon with any of the following patterns:

Archipelago
Continental
Jungle
Marine
Meadow
Elegant
River
Sandstorm
Savanna
Sun
Tundra
Ocean
Polar

Will gladly trade for them.

backlot

Anyone have 5-6 IV Modest/Timid Vivillon with any of the following patterns:

Archipelago
Continental
Jungle
Marine
Meadow
Elegant
River
Sandstorm
Savanna
Sun
Tundra
Ocean
Polar

Will gladly trade for them.

I have Modest and Timid 5IV Scatterbug that will evolve into Polar Vivillon.

Ultimadrago

No problem, and thanks for the Starmie!

Sure. I actually want to give you a different one since the ability on that one wasn't competitive (my oversight). If you want to just activate a trade when I'n online again in a few minutes. If you like it fine then disregard.

Muku

Oh you can just take it for free later, when I get the chance. I've received a ton of favours from you and I'm not too bothered about shinies of Pokemon I'm not using (although Shiny Mega Ampharos is tempting) : P

Awesome, thank you. :) Yeah, been meaning to breed a shiny Mareep.. just haven't gotten around to it because Piplup this last month + some change refuses to come out shiny. Uggh. Haven't found shiny anything lately, so living through shinies folks don't want, haha. :(

v1perz53

So I seem to have been underestimating the GTS. Probably because I was always using it by looking for the thing I wanted and hoping I had what they were asking for. But I just finished out the last few kalos dex pokemon by putting up the most random things on GTS asking for what I needed and all the trades went through within 15 minutes. Hell, I said "why not try" and put up a 5 IV dratini asking for a Yveltal and someone traded me one almost instantly.

Also, I found it funny that the last like 10 pokemon I needed to register for my oval charm were all pokemon I had to breed because I could only find the evolved forms in the wild. Breeding 10 pokemon to get a charm to breed pokemon faster. I guess I will work on the shiny charm now, but I think I will do it very slowly...

Top Bottom