• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

LaNaranja

You use analytic Starmie because you get the boost after the opponent switches out of Starmie on the switched in Pokemon.

That and I figure with the right EV investment it can properly survive and counter some speedier stuff like Greninja.

Anyway I just had one of the closest matches I have ever had. And it was a Froslass of all things that was able to kill his Talonflame and OHKO his Dragonite to win me the game (good thing it was holding Never-Melt Ice).

In this other match I made some huge mistakes and lost 4 of my Pokemon without doing much damage at the start. I was able to sweep his entire team with Mega Charizard X. That said about half way though the sweep he sent out a Scizor and I had to use Crunch on it because my health was in the red rendering Flare Blitz suicide. Even with my double Dragon Dance the Scizor survived and used Bullet Punch which I survived with 1 HP (13/15).

WDAG-WWWW-WWW4-MP3P

Without Roost, Flare Blitz is unusable if you need to sweep a team. I think I am going to replace it with Fire Fang. Tough Claws along with Dragon Dance and the possibility of a flinch make me thing it is a viable replacement. Tough Claws alone boosts its power to 86.

Delio

So guys do you all mostly come up with your own creative sets or kinda take smogon as a template? My friend I battle with a lot is very creative with what he uses and I want to follow that. It's just I normally have zero clue what to do ev wise for most pokemon.

Usobuko

Banned
Have a perfect IV adamant dratini with hidden ability and extreme speed. What's an ideal moveset for the end result Dragonite?

Currently has:
Extremespeed
Dragon dance
Iron tail
Aqua jet

I run Fire Punch because of Scizor, Ferrothorn, Genesect, though Genesect would unlikely to stay in against you, they always U-turn at the start.

ugoo18

1486626_608493672558674_1894624707_n.png

one_kill

2 words: mirror coat. I've been slaying legendaries right and left with her. Also take in count storm drain, Kyogre runs away when sees it coming, and if he doesnt and tries to get cute with ice beam, well, mirror coat in the face.
I'll breed one tomorrow using the Lileep you gave me :D

So guys do you all mostly come up with your own creative sets or kinda take smogon as a template? My friend I battle with a lot is very creative with what he uses and I want to follow that. It's just I normally have zero clue what to do ev wise for most pokemon.
I'm new to this whole breeding/training thing so I refer to Smogon a lot. With EV allocation, I usually base it on what I want that Pokemon to be. For instance, if I want a particular Pokemon to be a tank, I usually allocate EV points to HP, Def, and SpD. Of course, I also look at base stats, possible counters, and team synergy.

Delio

I'll breed one tomorrow using the Lileep you gave me :D

I'm new to this whole breeding/training thing so I refer to Smogon a lot. With EV allocation, I usually base it on what I want that Pokemon to be. For instance, if I want a particular Pokemon to be a tank, I usually allocate EV points to HP, Def, and SpD. Of course, I also look at base stats, possible counters, and team synergy.

I See. Ive been playing for a long time but I'm still pretty bad at building a nice team. Im getting better going by the people I have fought.

About 100 Phantump eggs: 31/31/31/x/31/x Adamant Natural Cure *Shiny*

I'm probably going to keep going for a while, I would like a Shiny with Harvest.

EDIT: As an aside: I've been logging my eggs and shinies for the Masuda Method + Shiny Charm research currently going on. I'm at 900 eggs hatched and 4 shinies.

one_kill

Aww fuck. I dropped my 3DS by accident and I had to reset the system because the SD card came out (how the fuck does this even happen?)... only to find that I haven't saved for a while.

Now I've got to run through Le Wow again <_<

Dandalf

Neo Member

I'm probably going to keep going for a while, I would like a Shiny with Harvest.

EDIT: As an aside: I've been logging my eggs and shinies for the Masuda Method + Shiny Charm research currently going on. I'm at 900 eggs hatched and 4 shinies.

This is great news.

I need to get my shiny charm in X and Y, but I only now started breeding for 31's.

Still, I have a perfect, Adamant Unburden Hawlucha in day care with a 6 31 IV Japanese Ditto, so I'm hoping for my first hatched shiny in X and Y shortly.

I know it's all luck based, but I'd REALLY like the overall odds to feel significantly reduced in X and Y.

Even with the Shiny Charm in BW2, I still had hunts going 2,000+ eggs. No more of those please!

Edit: So if anyone wants an Unburden Hawlucha with at least 5 31's (I'll make sure Attack is one of them!) let me know and I can distribute them in the next few days... I'll be breeding them until I hatch a shiny, so the offer should stand for a bit.

MicH

I want the shiny charm but I don't think I have the patience to sit down and try to complete my pokedex.
It is not fun to say the least. I can probably help out with some dexing if you want

Also still no shinies for me, even when breeding 100+ Bagons

This is great news.

I need to get my shiny charm in X and Y, but I only now started breeding for 31's.

Still, I have a perfect, Adamant Unburden Hawlucha in day care with a 6 31 IV Japanese Ditto, so I'm hoping for my first hatched shiny in X and Y shortly.

I know it's all luck based, but I'd REALLY like the overall odds to feel significantly reduced in X and Y.

Even with the Shiny Charm in BW2, I still had hunts going 2,000+ eggs. No more of those please!

Edit: So if anyone wants an Unburden Hawlucha with at least 5 31's (I'll make sure Attack is one of them!) let me know and I can distribute them in the next few days... I'll be breeding them until I hatch a shiny, so the offer should stand for a bit.

The current sample size for the research is 39391 eggs with 89 shinies found giving an estimated 1/443 chance of hatching a shiny with Masuda + Shiny Charm.
So while I was definitely lucky with my 4 shinies the odds are significantly better than the 1/1024 of gen5.

Dandalf

Neo Member
Speaking of shinies, what's everyone's favorite shiny from X and Y?

I think my favorite so far is Hawlucha (which is why I'm breeding it first).

The entire color swap from normal to shiny is pretty drastic, and I think the shiny color palette makes him/her look more intimidating:

Onpv8Hk.jpg

MicH

Yeah, Hawlucha has a pretty nice shiny palette. Aegislash is pretty awesome, too

And finally got my new, perfect Vulpix. Phew. That took longer than expected. "Only" Greninja, Cinccino, Goodra, Eelektross, Milotic and Mawile to go and I'm done rebreeding.

Not really sure what to do for Greninja. My current one is Hasty w/ Hydro Pump, U-Turn, Ice Beam and Spikes (to troll electric Pokemon :p). Do I wanna make a Timid one w/ HP Fire? Or keep a Hasty one with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, HP Fire and U-Turn?

What to do...

DaBoss

Blaxorus is one of the best shinies ever.

Jet black Greninja looks so slick. Hawlucha looks really cool as well. Gold keys (Klefki). Aegislash.

I have the shiny charm and I hit around 900-1000 eggs with no shiny. I did not properly count my eggs so I may be over exaggerating but I did fill up my boxes and I was breeding all week.

Maybe I had shitty luck, but yeah. I'm going to do it again because I must have a shiny Whimsicott.

Edit: On topic, I do like all the shinies mentioned. I also like Chocolate Quilladin and Actual Ghost/"Tooth" Mega Gengar.

Shiny Trevenant is neat too.

MicH

Oh yeah, shiny Mega Gengar is one of the best shinies I've ever seen. I want one so bad. I wish it was Gengar's real shiny

I have the shiny charm and I hit around 900-1000 eggs with no shiny. I did not properly count my eggs so I may be over exaggerating but I did fill up my boxes and I was breeding all week.

Maybe I had shitty luck, but yeah. I'm going to do it again because I must have a shiny Whimsicott.

Edit: On topic, I do like all the shinies mentioned. I also like Chocolate Quilladin and Actual Ghost/"Tooth" Mega Gengar.

Shiny Trevenant is neat too.

I certainly got lucky. A dry streak of 900-1000 is still possible with a ~1/443 chance.(I can't remember a thing about that statistics course I took once so I can't tell you how unlucky you have to be for this)

On topic of favourite shinies: Metagross all the way!
XY specific I'd have to say Aegislash.

Aggrotek

So I battled my friend here, and he thinks that I 100% would have lost if he hit his second Zen Headbutt. I think I still had a shot... I'm curious what you guys think...

The Battle.

Speaking of shinies, what's everyone's favorite shiny from X and Y?

I think my favorite so far is Hawlucha (which is why I'm breeding it first).

The entire color swap from normal to shiny is pretty drastic, and I think the shiny color palette makes him/her look more intimidating:

http://i.imgur.com/Onpv8Hk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Gonna have to agree with you there. Shiny Hawlucha is the bee's knees. Mine's called "El Diablo" :)

My favourite shiny of all time is either Pimpkrow or Scrafty (green is my favourite colour), though.

Once you guys get a poke you want, how do you go about leveling it quickly?

I go right to victory road to grind, but things start to slow down around lv. 40. Is there a better strategy?

MicH

My two favorite shinies are Metagross and Salamence; I have wanted both ever since Gen 3. FInally got Metagross this gen, still no sign of that shiny Bagon though. Someday, maybe

I go right to victory road to grind, but things start to slow down around lv. 40. Is there a better strategy?
Restaurant Le Wow in Lumiose City. Rotation Battles. Bring a high level Pokémon (I use my level 100 Togekiss) and have the Pokemon you want to train in spot 2 and 3. They are safe and cannot be attacked. Give them a Lucky Egg and use Exp Power lvl 3

You should almost be level 50 when you're done

Firestorm

Cafe Le Wow. I trained my Bulbadasaur from LV10ish to 56 in one run with exp boost lv3 and lucky egg. Just do triples, give your low level pokemon protect, and put something high level (in game team member) with a spread move in the second slot on your team.

I'm at Oregon Regionals now! TCG today and video game tomorrow :)

Korosenai

Does anyone have a spare lucky egg that I can use in like 15 minutes? I only have one, and I tried grinding some Chanseys in the friend safari but I could never find one.

DaBoss

Leading fainted Compound Eyes Pokemon leading + 2nd Pokemon in the party with the ability Frisk and the move Thief.

Make sure the Frisk Pokemon is not already holding an item. You'll get Lucky Eggs fast this way (and any other wild Pokemon hold item).

Korosenai

Leading fainted Compound Eyes Pokemon leading + 2nd Pokemon in the party with the ability Frisk and the move Thief.

Make sure the Frisk Pokemon is not already holding an item. You'll get Lucky Eggs fast this way (and any other wild Pokemon hold item).
I was doing that. I was leading with a fainted Joltik and using a level 100 Talonflame. I donr have any high level Pokemon with frisk though. Guess I should get one.

Boogiepop

Cafe Le Wow. I trained my Bulbadasaur from LV10ish to 56 in one run with exp boost lv3 and lucky egg. Just do triples, give your low level pokemon protect, and put something high level (in game team member) with a spread move in the second slot on your team.

I'm at Oregon Regionals now! TCG today and video game tomorrow :)

I was using Rotation instead of triples. Seemed safer to me. Is there any reason that triples is better from the exp formula or something?

DaBoss

I was doing that. I was leading with a fainted Joltik and using a level 100 Talonflame. I donr have any high level Pokemon with frisk though. Guess I should get one.
Trevenant is easy to get in the forest at around level 50 as well.

macklelol

Ugh, I can't seem to get the right IVs on this Sigilyph. It's getting pretty annoying.

Figures right after I post this I get a 6IV one. Complain to GAF method too good.

Boogiepop

Ugh, I can't seem to get the right IVs on this Sigilyph. It's getting pretty annoying.

Figures right after I post this I get a 6IV one. Complain to GAF method too good.

It never fails! The most painful thing for me was managing more than once to get 6IV Pokemon... while trying to breed for a TR team!

Spinluck

This same thing was happening to me! Lol. It was quite frustrating.

I just got the Sigilyph I wanted yesterday.

MicH

This happened to me with Togekiss, I ended up making two lol

I'm probably going to end up making another Lucario (SpA sweeper) too.
I do like a special Lucario better.

Do it. Hasty with U-Turn and then Timid with HP Fire.

Which two Togekiss did you make?
That is exactly what I wanted to do. I am also intrigued by physical-only Greninjas. Seen some videos of it and maybe sometime in the future I'll make another lol

Don't limit yourself to one of each Pokemon. If you feel you can make more than 1 set for a Pokemon, then make more.
Yeah, what's really holding me back is that I still want to breed so many other Pokémon instead of training more versions of one. But I'll definitely make two Greninjas. If not now, then sometime in the future

L.O.R.D

I am training my 6 IV timid protean froakie now
what should I ev train him?
I am thinking of sp attack and something else
hp or speed or defense ?

Top Bottom