• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

JulianImp

Bummer that the GAF pokemon league chalenge died :(

Sadly, I'd say things have slowed down an awful lot, and the leader-to-challenger reatio is still on our (leaders') side several weeks after starting the league. We aren't downright dead, but we might as well be if we don't get a healthy influx of new challengers.

We were arguing that advertising the league as competitive could end up turning people off from participating in it, and I guess that might've ended up being the case. We even have two leaders who haven't shown up yet, but on the other hand there's a couple of us that are available for challenges (I'm one of them, but timezones make it way harder for people from outside the American continent to arrange a match with me). I probably could go for a 6v6, but I'd probably like trying out some more muti-battles as well.

Infinite

I'm still in the process of breeding the pre-evos you'll need. Also, I'm negative on Politoed, Weavile and Gliscor. I have their pre-evos, so I am in a position to get all three, I just don't have them right now.

I'll add your friendcode momentarily.

ok just hit me up when ready

Boogiepop

Sadly, I'd say things have slowed down an awful lot, and the leader-to-challenger reatio is still on our (leaders') side several weeks after starting the league. We aren't downright dead, but we might as well be if we don't get a healthy influx of new challengers.

We were arguing that advertising the league as competitive could end up turning people off from participating in it, and I guess that might've ended up being the case. We even have two leaders who haven't shown up yet, but on the other hand there's a couple of us that are available for challenges (I'm one of them, but timezones make it way harder for people from outside the American continent to arrange a match with me). I probably could go for a 6v6, but I'd probably like trying out some more muti-battles as well.

I've been relying on PMs, so I only just noticed that people have been posting "any leaders available" and whatnot in the thread. I'll try and jump on that more in the future, but today has been kind of ruled by a killer headache so I haven't exactly wanted to play any Pokemon.

Firestorm

No, league things just almost never take off. It's not limited to GAF. They're fun to organize but nobody really participates in them unless there's a big prize or something.

Just ONE more level until Gabite evolves. It's been a b*tch trying to level him up. Next up, Pupitar, then Piplup. Then trying to level them up to at least level 60. >_<

Muku

I have a level 1 Monsoon Scatterbug up for trade that is 6IV. Willing to take offers on it.

Also, for those who want Monsoon Scatterbug that are TImid 31/x/31/31/31/31 I have some available for trade. Just let me know.

PBalfredo

Even as someone trying to learn the ins-and-outs of competitive pokemon, the league can be a bit intimidating due to all the rules. The 4 day wait for rematches makes every gym challenge a Big Deal and makes me hesitate on issuing challenges unless I have some master plan, least I got locked out of a gym for the rest of a week. And the limits on changes to team line-ups ends up locking my focus on to a handful of gyms at a time. Yes, ideally I'd have a perfectly balanced team that could take on any gym in any format at any time, but I'm simply not there yet. My team is in constant development and half my roster is still in experimental mode.

I get that the gym leaders don't want challengers rolling up super-effective monotype teams, but more freedom to experiment with my team without having to take a dive would be appreciated. Besides, most gyms seem well suited to combat opposing types and the real challenge I've been facing with gyms isn't so much due to typing, but rather the strategies they employ, like fek's Protect mindgames, Church's Shell Smash set-up sweep and the blistering speed of ColossalLazy's pokemon. The strategy I need for rematches is well beyond having to try to stack up with pokemon of opposing types and calling it a day.

I like the League and I'm learning a lot from the battles. I think loosing up the rules a bit might make it more approachable to casually challenge gym leaders while still having the battles be competitive. Just my two cents.

spiritfox

Even as someone trying to learn the ins-and-outs of competitive pokemon, the league can be a bit intimidating due to all the rules. The 4 day wait for rematches makes every gym challenge a Big Deal and makes me hesitate on issuing challenges unless I have some master plan, least I got locked out of a gym for the rest of a week. And the limits on changes to team line-ups ends up locking my focus on to a handful of gyms at a time. Yes, ideally I'd have a perfectly balanced team that could take on any gym in any format at any time, but I'm simply not there yet. My team is in constant development and half my roster is still in experimental mode.

I get that the gym leaders don't want challengers rolling up super-effective monotype teams, but more freedom to experiment with my team without having to take a dive would be appreciated. Besides, most gyms seem well suited to combat opposing types and the real challenge I've been facing with gyms isn't so much due to typing, but rather the strategies they employ, like fek's Protect mindgames, Church's Shell Smash set-up sweep and the blistering speed of ColossalLazy's pokemon. The strategy I need for rematches is well beyond having to try to stack up with pokemon of opposing types and calling it a day.

I like the League and I'm learning a lot from the battles. I think loosing up the rules a bit might make it more approachable to casually challenge gym leaders while still having the battles be competitive. Just my two cents.

I get that all the rules turn off most newcomers to the scene, but they're there because of all the veterans who will destroy all the gyms otherwise. Maybe we need a tiered system for both new and experienced players, but we never got anywhere with that. especially since it requires the leaders to put in additional work for more team comps. Furthermore, most of the challengers are experienced battlers, and the fact that it's supposed to be a challenge, so we decided to focus on them first and foremost.

What we could do is to relax the team switch rules so that challengers can switch freely, but within some limits. Also, the rematch rule is there so that leaders have some time to rest, and not get swamped with requests. I guess we can let leaders decide when it's a good time for a rematch, even if 4 days is not up yet. All these changes will have to be discussed with all the leaders, though, which is hard due to time zone differences and the fact that some of them are MIA.

Also, I think we should start thinking about replacing leaders that have not accept any challenges. It's been a while, they should had have time to prepare.

Sleepwalker

Anyone here got an iron fist Chimchar?

Just wasted the last 3 hours breeding chimchars thinking it was just a regular ability and not a hidden one :(

Sleepwalker

It didn't, you just need to send a PM challenging a leader. In the OP there's info on what time the leaders are available.

Sorry, was out all day busy with uni.

Well, it's nice to hear some of you guys are still active since i'm trying to take on this challenge too but since the thread has close to 0 activity I supposed there were not many battles being held if at all.

I'll pm you guys to arrange some battles though!

one_kill

Where did everyone go?

I haven't been here much nowadays. I'm pretty much "over" Pokemon for now. I'll probably play again when Diancie is released.

Muku

Where did everyone go?

I haven't been here much nowadays. I'm pretty much "over" Pokemon for now. I'll probably play again when Diancie is released.

Been a bit busy myself, but it's been a bit lonely here haha. Wake up in morning and like three new posts make me a sad panda. Hoping it's just a case of spring fever with folks getting out and folks not losing interest in it.

Anyone here got an iron fist Chimchar?

Just wasted the last 3 hours breeding chimchars thinking it was just a regular ability and not a hidden one :(

I have a 5IV Jolly Iron Fist one you can have. (Comes with Thunder punch, Fire Punch, and Focus Punch.)

Sleepwalker

Been a bit busy myself, but it's been a bit lonely here haha. Wake up in morning and like three new posts make me a sad panda. Hoping it's just a case of spring fever with folks getting out and folks not losing interest in it.

I have a 5IV Jolly Iron Fist one you can have. (Comes with Thunder punch, Fire Punch, and Focus Punch.)

Oh yes! for sure i'll take that. Are you online?

Where did everyone go?

Been working more lately and this thread died way down. I can't wait for a new distribution!

I haven't put much play time in the game recently after having my Pokerus snafu of 2014. I'm just wrapping up my Zangoose breeding though so I'm looking for new crap to do.

Muku

Thanks a lot Muku!

Btw, i'm going to send you another trade request, send you something as a thank you for all your help.

You're welcome. :) Sorry about that, hopped offline right after but back on now if you want to. Though it's not required. :)

Edit: Oh my goodness, thank you so much! He's adorable! :D

Sleepwalker

Like? I freakin' love 'em!! Thank you!

You're very much welcome man!, I'm mostly focused on the comp side and he's a poke I wouldn't use and since you love shinies so much, i'm sure you'll give him a better home in your collection!

Anyways, I'm off to bed now. night!

Muku

Guess as soon as what, 11 days from now? We could be having the event Darkrai floating into circulation. Think it's 4/19 we can start buying the movie tickets. Bit curious how that is going to work.

By the way, does anyone have a spare Rotom? Or do the bins in Lost Hotel refresh during the day? I found a Rotom in the first bin, but my Gloom one-shot it >___>

...and with that trade, the Vivillon set is gone. Hope you enjoy them Frost_Ace. :)

Nice. I saw the full set and it looks nice, but I'm not really a Pokemon butterfly collector... strangely enough since I love butterflies.

I am quite proud of the 5 IV Monsoon Vivillon you gave me; also managed to snag a 5 IV Polar too, but it has Shield Dust not Compound Eyes. Ouch at that Ability Capsule...

Can't remember all the patterns, but I'm hoping for a 5 IV Elegant one day.

If you're around later (like 3 hours later or so), could I grab that Zorua? I'll give you that shiny Mareep too : )

Muku

By the way, does anyone have a spare Rotom? Or do the bins in Lost Hotel refresh during the day? I found a Rotom in the first bin, but my Gloom one-shot it >___>

Nice. I saw the full set and it looks nice, but I'm not really a Pokemon butterfly collector... strangely enough since I love butterflies.

I am quite proud of the 5 IV Monsoon Vivillon you gave me; also managed to snag a 5 IV Polar too, but it has Shield Dust not Compound Eyes. Ouch at that Ability Capsule...

Can't remember all the patterns, but I'm hoping for a 5 IV Elegant one day.

If you're around later (like 3 hours later or so), could I grab that Zorua? I'll give you that shiny Mareep too : )

Strangely enough I'm not into collecting a bunch of forms.. but I loved collecting the Vivillon. Did you need/want an Ability Capsule for your Polar? I have one you can have.

Three hours I may be around. I hope. If so sure. It was more than the Zorua you wanted though, right? Or just the Zorua? I have an extra Rotom you can have.

Strangely enough I'm not into collecting a bunch of forms.. but I loved collecting the Vivillon. Did you need/want an Ability Capsule for your Polar? I have one you can have.

Three hours I may be around. I hope. If so sure. It was more than the Zorua you wanted though, right? Or just the Zorua? I have an extra Rotom you can have.

Sure, would love the Ability Capsule. 200 points isn't impossible, but there are other Battle Maison items I need to get as well : P

Just the Zorua will do and the Rotom as well, thanks.

I knew I should have saved before opening the bins...

Welp, I'm up to 646 on my Pokedex. Most of the easy ones are out of the way. Now I'm burning myself out by mass evolving things at the Battle Chateau.

I'll post up a list if anyone wants to help me out. These are the ones I really need:

Silcoon/Beautifly
Porygon-Z
Roserade
Electivire
Gallade
Dusknoir
Musharna
Chandelure
Accelgor
Slowking
Whimsicott
Reuniclus