• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Muku

Sure, would love the Ability Capsule. 200 points isn't impossible, but there are other Battle Maison items I need to get as well : P

Just the Zorua will do and the Rotom as well, thanks.

I knew I should have saved before opening the bins...

You on now? If so I can hop on.

Did my first 2 Battle Maison plays last night running:

Stannis (Mega-Scizor)
Joffrey (Togekiss)
Rhaenyra (Hydreigon)

First single pokemon tier was a success. Really easy. 20 wins like nothing.
Decided to try super single pokemon tier and had a lot of trouble with Brellom (twice), but managed to beat him.

Went all the way to 29th match when unfortunatelly found a goddam Florges that completelly walled my team (Scizor was taken down in the first turn by a Manectric - I screwed up there).
Still got about 150bp...

Question, what's the best way to counter Brellom? He almost beat me twice... =/

EDIT: Poison Heal Gliscor comes to mind, but is there another option?

Sleepwalker

Did my first 2 Battle Maison plays last night running:

Stannis (Mega-Scizor)
Joffrey (Togekiss)
Rhaenyra (Hydreigon)

First single pokemon tier was a success. Really easy. 20 wins like nothing.
Decided to try super single pokemon tier and had a lot of trouble with Brellom (twice), but managed to beat him.

Went all the way to 29th match when unfortunatelly found a goddam Florges that completelly walled my team (Scizor was taken down in the first turn by a Manectric - I screwed up there).
Still got about 150bp...

Question, what's the best way to counter Brellom? He almost beat me twice... =/

EDIT: Poison Heal Gliscor comes to mind, but is there another option?

Talonflame ends him easily, mega pinsir also destroys him.

Wichu

Mandibuzz? Overcoat makes it immune to Spore, it has pretty good defensive stats, and Flying STAB.

I imagine Venusaur could wreck it too. Resists both Breloom's STABs and kills it with super-effective Sludge Bomb.

Talonflame ends him easily, mega pinsir also destroys him.

I love Talonflame, but on a team of only 3, I think he is kind of a waste.
I run mine with Brave Bird (gale wings), Flare Blitz (or is it Flame Charge?), Roost (will-o-wisp), U-Turn (Steel Wing).

Never though about Pinsir. What's a good setup for him? If not mega, is he still good?

Mandibuzz? Overcoat makes it immune to Spore, it has pretty good defensive stats, and Flying STAB.

I imagine Venusaur could wreck it too. Resists both Breloom's STABs and kills it with super-effective Sludge Bomb.

Not a fan of mandibuzz.. would rather stick to talonflame..

Can Brellom Spore Venusaur?

v1perz53

I love Talonflame, but on a team of only 3, I think he is kind of a waste.
I run mine with Brave Bird (gale wings), Flare Blitz (or is it Flame Charge?), Roost (will-o-wisp), U-Turn (Steel Wing).

Never though about Pinsir. What's a good setup for him? If not mega, is he still good?

Not a fan of mandibuzz.. would rather stick to talonflame..

Can Brellom Spore Venusaur?

Mega pinsir is infinitely better than regular pinsir because you turn super powerful normal type attacks into Flying STAB, and the game AI doesn't handle well mega evolutions that type change. I've never run him myself so I am not sure about the best setup.

I use Mega Pinsir and even though my speed iv's are not the best, he's still plenty fast enough to get the kills on many things thanks to Aerilate quick attack. As for moves, I just run the smogon build, because it works. Though sometimes i'll sub close combat for swords dance, you just gotta watch out for burns and rocks if you decide to run with him.

JulianImp

I'd say Mega Pinsir is quite beastly, even if it's kind of predictable. Its basic set is Quick Attack, Return, Earthquake and Swords Dance, but I like running Close Combat for added aggression. You can run Hyper cutter to avoid a first-turn Intimidate, but I'd say Mold Breaker's the better ability due to getting through some Sturdy mons such as Magnezone.

Move wise I'd say the AI, who doesn't switch as often, probably won't give you that many opportunities to SD up without risking getting trampled over by an attack or status, and I think the added coverage is a welcome addition.

Like others and myself have said before, if you lead with Pinsir the AI will eventually metagame agaisnt it by running levitating ghost-types thinking they can void all its attacks, but that doesn't take into account that Mega Pinsir's aerilate changes Quick Attack and Return into flying-type moves. Other mons probably won't be as lucky and will be heavily metagamed against.

I chose to run Mega Pinsir over Mega Scizor in my gym team, and it has been a good choice so far. Scizor gets some added benefits, but you can reach a higher damage output with Life Orb (a lot more versatile and allows for Swords Dance) or Choice Band (raw power that allows for an extra coverage move). If you don't want to give Mega Scizor up, I don't think running regualr Pinsir would be a good idea, since Aerilate Return (and a QA that's almost as powerful as Technican Bullet Punch) is just that good.

I'd say Mega Pinsir is quite beastly, even if it's kind of predictable. Its basic set is Quick Attack, Return, Earthquake and Swords Dance, but I like running Close Combat for added aggression. You can run Hyper cutter to avoid a first-turn Intimidate, but I'd say Mold Breaker's the better ability due to getting through some Sturdy mons such as Magnezone.

Move wise I'd say the AI, who doesn't switch as often, probably won't give you that many opportunities to SD up without risking getting trampled over by an attack or status, and I think the added coverage is a welcome addition.

Like others and myself have said before, if you lead with Pinsir the AI will eventually metagame agaisnt it by running levitating ghost-types thinking they can void all its attacks, but that doesn't take into account that Mega Pinsir's aerilate changes Quick Attack and Return into flying-type moves. Other mons probably won't be as lucky and will be heavily metagamed against.

I chose to run Mega Pinsir over Mega Scizor in my gym team, and it has been a good choice so far. Scizor gets some added benefits, but you can reach a higher damage output with Life Orb (a lot more versatile and allows for Swords Dance) or Choice Band (raw power that allows for an extra coverage move). If you don't want to give Mega Scizor up, I don't think running regualr Pinsir would be a good idea, since Aerilate Return (and a QA that's almost as powerful as Technican Bullet Punch) is just that good.

Thanks. I'll give Mega Pinsir a chance. You use close combat as a replacement of what? Earthquake or swords dance? Also, Jolly nature with max EVs in Atk and Spe or Spe and HP?

v1perz53

Just spent the better part of an hour organizing my PC Boxes, how is it that after six generations they still have not implemented a better system for mass organization? So many things would help this, such as ability to search, ability to jump between non numerically consecutive boxes, ability to select multiple pokemon to mass move, the list goes on and on. Honestly, why do we even still select between Withdraw, Deposit, and Organize, we should just be able to open the pc, select a pokemon and decide what to do with it. And WHY can I not release unhatched eggs. If I get a perfect pokemon on the first of 5 eggs, I don't want to run around for another 5-10 minutes just to release the rest of the pokemon anyway.

Enough ranting, back to trying to figure out how to build a good 3v3 team after years of playing 6v6 competitive on a simulator and thus never needing to play 3v3 in game for BP. Definitely not used to having so few options on one team, gonna be a learning process. Any general tips?

JulianImp

Thanks. I'll give Mega Pinsir a chance. You use close combat as a replacement of what? Earthquake or swords dance? Also, Jolly nature with max EVs in Atk and Spe or Spe and HP?

Instead of SD. I know it doesn't give Pinsir that much extra coverage, but it does hit normal and dark-types for a little extra damage compared to Return and super effective Earthquakes.

Jolly plus 252 Spd EVs let it be as fast as it can be, and 4 HP EVs let it reach an uneven HP number at level 50 for some extra Stealth Rock resistance (still, Pinsir takes 25% from teh first SR switch-in due to not being part-flying), with the obvious 252 Atk.

You'd do well to keep an eye on Pinsir's slightly lower base speed for the turn you mega evolve on, as well.

Just spent the better part of an hour organizing my PC Boxes, how is it that after six generations they still have not implemented a better system for mass organization? So many things would help this, such as ability to search, ability to jump between non numerically consecutive boxes, ability to select multiple pokemon to mass move, the list goes on and on. Honestly, why do we even still select between Withdraw, Deposit, and Organize, we should just be able to open the pc, select a pokemon and decide what to do with it. And WHY can I not release unhatched eggs. If I get a perfect pokemon on the first of 5 eggs, I don't want to run around for another 5-10 minutes just to release the rest of the pokemon anyway.

Enough ranting, back to trying to figure out how to build a good 3v3 team after years of playing 6v6 competitive on a simulator and thus never needing to play 3v3 in game for BP. Definitely not used to having so few options on one team, gonna be a learning process. Any general tips?

Um... you can do all of these. You need to go to "Organise Boxes" first.

To search, tap the magnifying glass near the bottom right.

To jump between boxes, you can press the refresh icon near the bottom left.

To select multiple Pokemon, select the green tab near the top.

And you can release unhatched eggs.

v1perz53

Um... you can do all of these. You need to go to "Organise Boxes" first.

To search, tap the magnifying glass near the bottom right.

To jump between boxes, you can press the refresh icon near the bottom left.

To select multiple Pokemon, select the green tab near the top.

And you can release unhatched eggs.

Wow, after all this wasted time there was such an easier way the entire time, god I feel stupid. Though the game doesn't do a great job being clear on what those options are. Why is a refresh icon the thing that shows all your boxes? Would anyone know what the red, blue and green tabs do just from the icons alone? Possible, but I certainly didn't. Some text instead of icons would have been way better, but I guess languages and localization and whatnot. Being harsh because I am mad I didn't know about this before! I also forget 75% of the time that the 3DS has a touch screen, and using a stylus would have made things way faster.

But you definitely cannot release eggs, you get a message "You can't release an Egg" unless there is a secret method beyond selecting it and pressing release.

But thanks for letting me know about the other stuff, I guess I should have complained about it before starting to organize my boxes heh.

Wow, after all this wasted time there was such an easier way the entire time, god I feel stupid. I also forget 75% of the time that the 3DS has a touch screen, and using a stylus would have made things way faster.

But you definitely cannot release eggs, you get a message "You can't release an Egg" unless there is a secret method beyond selecting it and pressing release.

But thanks for letting me know about the other stuff, I guess I should have complained about it before starting to organize my boxes heh.

Ah, I stand corrected. Wow, all this time I thought you could release eggs...

Still, I wonder if there's a way and we haven't found it yet?

Also, was going to edit my post to mention I wasn't trying to sound condescending; sometimes I accidentally end up offending people with my tone, but seems there was no need : P

jg4xchamp

Hey guys, just recently got into the game.

Trying to breed more ideal pokemon builds. Anyway to get into a Ditto safari more easily? It seems like I'm a little late on the bandwagon.

v1perz53

Man, why does the starter Female breed rate have to be so Limbo low? ;__;

It is a hold over from previous generations that doesn't serve much purpose now. Back when breeding egg moves was tougher and male/female mattered more, I guess it existed to make it harder to breed certain pokemon. But now all it does is make those same pokemon slightly more annoying to breed. I don't think male skewed pokemon have any positive aspect left these days.

As an aside, I've caught over 15 modest ditto from this stupid friend safari without seeing a single adamant. And while ditto's hidden ability may be cool, it makes it much more of a pain to catch. Also, anyone need 500 quick powders? heh

Ultimadrago

As an aside, I've caught over 15 modest ditto from this stupid friend safari without seeing a single adamant. And while ditto's hidden ability may be cool, it makes it much more of a pain to catch. Also, anyone need 500 quick powders? heh

Have you tried nabbing a Pokemon with Synchronize yet (Abra, Ralts, etc.)? It affects the frequency of Wild Natures you encounter (increasing chance of Pokemon you encounter of having Nature of first Pokemon in party by 50%). Only catch is well...catching the Nature you want for a Synchronizer.

Muku

Have you tried nabbing a Pokemon with Synchronize yet (Abra, Ralts, etc.)? It affects the frequency of Wild Natures you encounter (increasing chance of Pokemon you encounter of having Nature of first Pokemon in party by 50%). Only catch is well...catching the Nature you want for a Synchronizer.

Could breed one which might be quicker.

v1perz53

I was gonna get a synchronizer originally, but I needed a few different natures so I figured I would just hope for adamant as I filled out my Ditto collection. But at this point, I've gotten so unlucky that I should probably breed a synchronize to finish this out. My box full of level 30 dittos in all the same ball does look pretty though.

Nori Chan

I'm determined to get a shiny froakie and make it competitive and with it's hidden ability...but I have no clue how to start hahaha. Any tips for a beginner breeder like me?

Muku

I'm determined to get a shiny froakie and make it competitive and with it's hidden ability...but I have no clue how to start hahaha. Any tips for a beginner breeder like me?

Start off with a Froakie (or whatever in the line) with Protean. If you want moves, breed them on first. If breeding moves on, you'll need a female (since female determines what baby is if you're breeding with other Pokemon in egg group). After you've got a Froakie with everything on it (assuming you want to) then, if you don't already have it at nature you like, breed it with something that has nature you want (Pokemon with nature you want to pass on needs to be holding Everstone). Then you can take that baby with egg moves + correct nature and breed it with Ditto to get it's IVs. JPN 6IV Ditto has been passed around here that has made it easier for many of us. Have Pokemon with nature you want to keep passing on hold Everstone. Other Pokemon can hold Destiny Knot to pass down 5IVs between parents.

Edit: Know there are some pictures lurking in this thread that are good quick reads to get started. Can't remember what page they're on though. :(

Top Bottom