• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

But why can't Gamefreak/Nintendo allow for transfers from as far back as D/P into the bank? Is it impossible due to the game's code? I'm willing to hold out hope that one day that transferring straight from Pokemon D/P/HG/SS to the bank will be possible.

Don't hold your breath. If it was going to be possible, it would already be the case.

Even though Gen 4 and 5 are both DS games, they either willfully decided to only implement the ability with the Gen 5 games or it's a matter of coding/technical aspects.

As someone already said, Bank was designed to be future-proof, unlike past instances where they've had to ad-hoc the transfer of pokemon. It can't do anything to change past elements. And to its credit, transferring Pokemon from Gen 5 games into Bank is a much, much faster and more streamlined process than transferring from Gen 3 to 4 or 4 to 5.

Man, playing White and the Generation V Pokémon are so laaaaame. And I can't even get a Gigalith anymore because you need to trade to evolve it.

My biggest problem with Gen 5 was the monster design. Waaaaay too many just felt like bad retreads or uninspired designs. There are a few good designs and interesting new type combinations amongst them, but Black/White completely fell flat in its goal of trying to recapture the mystique of every monster being something new and unique when it was instead a process of trying to filter out the good/tolerable new monsters from the tepid/horrible ones.

Don't hold your breath. If it was going to be possible, it would already be the case.

Even though Gen 4 and 5 are both DS games, they either willfully decided to only implement the ability with the Gen 5 games or it's a matter of coding/technical aspects.

As someone already said, Bank was designed to be future-proof, unlike past instances where they've had to ad-hoc the transfer of pokemon. It can't do anything to change past elements. And to its credit, transferring Pokemon from Gen 5 games into Bank is a much, much faster and more streamlined process than transferring from Gen 3 to 4 or 4 to 5.

My biggest problem with Gen 5 was the monster design. Waaaaay too many just felt like bad retreads or uninspired designs. There are a few good designs and interesting new type combinations amongst them, but Black/White completely fell flat in its goal of trying to recapture the mystique of every monster being something new and unique when it was instead a process of trying to filter out the good/tolerable new monsters from the tepid/horrible ones.

I don't even remember how to transfer from 4 to 5. I guess I'll have to re-learn. The worst gen transfer was the one that made you re-catch your pokemon in a special safari zone. So unnecessarily tedious.

Damn, mind reading the CPU in the Maison is a pain. Sometimes they do unpredictable dumb stuff that throws me off, especially since I'm trying to learn to use Aegislash. I'm getting better, but I know that I'm far away from good players yet.

I don't even remember how to transfer from 4 to 5. I guess I'll have to re-learn. The worst gen transfer was the one that made you re-catch your pokemon in a special safari zone. So unnecessarily tedious.

That was from 3 to 4.

4 to 5 is via the touchscreen slingshot minigame.

But 5 to Bank is simply using Bank's companion PokeTransfer app to move your entire Box 1 from the Gen 5 game to Bank in bulk.

Hackworth

I can barely bring myself to play Black. I need to beat the E4 to transfer pokemon from gen 4 to 5, but at this rate it's not happening anytime soon...

Muku

So, outside of the Pikachu event currently going on in Yokohama, what is left this year at the moment? Wondering from after the Pikachu event until end of year. We have Diancie coming to the US soon (Sept?) right? Anything else other than that known at the moment?

So, outside of the Pikachu event currently going on in Yokohama, what is left this year at the moment? Wondering from after the Pikachu event until end of year. We have Diancie coming to the US soon (Sept?) right? Anything else other than that known at the moment?

On X/Y or Pokemon in general? Because in general we'll have the Shiny Beldum with the Megastone via internet (for ORAS).

Muku

On X/Y or Pokemon in general? Because in general we'll have the Shiny Beldum with the Megastone via internet (for ORAS).

Ah yes, forgot about the Shiny Beldum. Totally stoked for that. Meant in general though. Just stuff to look forward to. Really can't wait for ORAS though. Maybe I can max the time in AS too. xD Was there a Shiny Beldum given out in past promotions? Since a lot of the old stuff you had to physically be somewhere for it, I missed out on a boatload of stuff.

Also have Aegislash, but that's this weekend at Championship. Don't know anyone going to that so doubt I'll be able to get that one. :(

Edit: Oh yeah, we're getting Heracross and Pinsir (sans stones) soon too. Stones to be given out at GameStop. Haha.

Edit 2: On a side note, I think a couple of end dates are coming up on some...

Pokeball Vivillon ends August 12 for the US (Mystery Gift -> Internet). Get it now!
Corocoro Charizard if you bought a Corocoro magazine from earlier this year with the Charizard code, or somehow have come across a code, I think you have until end of August to claim it.
Movie Darkrai if you live in Japan and pre-ordered the movie ticket for the Diancie movie, or were able to trade for a code, believe you have until Sept 30 (which fast approaches, considering we've been able to use code for months now) to claim it.
Movie Diancie if you've not seen the movie but have a ticket, or heck don't even have a ticket but live in Japan, go see it before Sept. 30 for your Diancie in the theater.
Pokebank Celebi you have until Sept. 30 to get it from using Pokebank.

Pretty sure the Movie Darkrai and Corocoro Charizard require a JPN 3DS, but correct me if I'm wrong. If anyone needs help claiming one, let me know. Will be happy to help.

Just to be on the safe side... I can still reset for the perfect Vivillon even after the event ends, right? I've got it downloaded already, so I shouldn't need to be online to continue resetting for it.

Muku

Got confirmation on each Pikachu being its own Wonder Card, woohoo! [Edit: LOL just realized it was Aveyn that asked on reddit. Yay, thank you.]

Yokohama Outbreakchu Location Details

A huge thank you to Aveyn for linking me to this reddit post yesterday. Saw someone ask about the multiple Pikachu thing and glad to see a response today. Thinking of going early to get an early start. Going for that extra female Pikachu too.

I assume the Pikachu all named Captain, but listed in different areas, share the same WC. Would this be correct to say?

Damn, mind reading the CPU in the Maison is a pain. Sometimes they do unpredictable dumb stuff that throws me off, especially since I'm trying to learn to use Aegislash. I'm getting better, but I know that I'm far away from good players yet.
Sometimes the dumb shit is amusing in a WTF way. Having Rapidash burn its own teammate for no reason (except it couldn't burn me, it is almost like AI picked its move before checking it could do anything with it so decided to prioritize burning teammate over doing nothing to me) and also a hilariously uncoordinated team in triple battles of Sylveon using Misty Terrain so Mushunana use of Hypnosis fails followed by the pair using helping hand on each other for the rest of the battle.

Yeah if I thought multi battles were slow then triple battles are much worse (2 hours and I got to battle 24 and lost). I'm dropping my gimmick lead and going with the talonflame, mega blastoise, geninja lead I stole from elsewhere...(get tailwind up, blastoise spams water spout, gereninja is there for mat block, in case of fast opponents blastoise can fall on protect turn 1).

lupinko

I'm just here grabbing a bunch of Jirachi at the pc now, and two mothers are farming shiny Jirachi to my right with multiple carts and written directions.

I thought the twenty something dudes were farming but they were just battling. Oo

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah if I thought multi battles were slow then triple battles are much worse (2 hours and I got to battle 24 and lost). I'm dropping my gimmick lead and going with the talonflame, mega blastoise, geninja lead I stole from elsewhere...(get tailwind up, blastoise spams water spout, gereninja is there for mat block, in case of fast opponents blastoise can fall on protect turn 1).
dat Smogon

Ah the secret is out. For anyone curious this is the thread.

I certainty have respect for the person who used scarfed Heliolisk with Solar Power in a sun team for their triple streak (which they admit is bad because the movepool basically gets nothing that benefits from sun outside of the sp. atk boost and even then it isn't doing huge damage and it is frail).

Holy crap, 1000 streak. So good to see my man Suicune being used, love him. I remember visiting that thread a while ago, long before people went into 600+ streaks. I'm using a team that is not perfect but have my favorite mons, and I'm hoping to get at least 50 in Singles. Got to 41 today but had to stop because I had to leave and I'm not safe going certain places with my 3DS.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ah the secret is out. For anyone curious this is the thread.

I certainty have respect for the person who used scarfed Heliolisk with Solar Power in a sun team for their triple streak (which they admit is bad because the movepool basically gets nothing that benefits from sun outside of the sp. atk boost and even then it isn't doing huge damage and it is frail).
Don't worry, I based my killer triples team concept off the number one rank, which is to just have solid Pokemon. My previous attempts ran weather gimmicks and eventually fell short. My first tailwind run also didn't blow the charts. The deciding factor is to always play smart, which would seem like an obvious thing.

Don't worry, I based my killer triples team concept off the number one rank, which is to just have solid Pokemon. My previous attempts ran weather gimmicks and eventually fell short. My first tailwind run also didn't blow the charts. The deciding factor is to always play smart, which would seem like an obvious thing.
Yep my triples streak failed ultimately because I decided to use Hydro Pump instead of thunderbolt with Rotom-W, missed and as a result took heavy solarbeam damage which lost me the automatic center 1 on 1 at the end.

Well that and Aerodactyl largely destroying my gimmick (a common theme with my teams) making my lead less effective.

My singles streak failed (past 50 so I'm done) as I forgot what sucker punch was (I was previously spooked by using it against a justified opponent, parental bond sucker punch vs. justified is not a good thing) and my multi streak ended at 51 due to trick room (given how many attempts ended about 40 here I'm fine with that, the run had many close calls as well).

Well, time for me to actually serious consider breeding Audino's. After hearing about it's Mega it is now a serious breeding contender since I always loved Audino in gen 5.

JulianImp

I'm kind of back to building my doubles team, but I'm still working on the specifics since I'm not sure how doubles actually work (I've only ever played two double battles at best). I'd really appreciate getting some feedback on the team I've come up with:

Crobat (Jolly, Inner Focus) @Heat Stone: Brave Bird, U-turn, Roost, Sunny Day

Jumpluff (Timid, Clorophyll) @???: Helping Hand, Sleep Powder, Encore, Protect

Houndoom (Modest, Flash Fire) @Houndoominite : Fire Blast, Dark Pulse, Sludge Bomb/Solarbeam/Taunt, Protect

Mamoswine (Adamant, Thick Fat) @Assault Vest, maybe?: Icicle Crash, Earthquake, Ice Shard, Rock Slide

Ninetales (Timid, Drought) @Rock or Ground-resisting berries?: Heat Wave, Extrasensory, Will-o-Wisp, Disable/Protect

Scizor (Adamant, Technician) @???: Bullet Punch, X-Scissor, Roost, Quick Guard

Crobat is kind of my surefire lead, since it can either set sun up by itself or U-Turn into Ninetales, all depending on predictions, and both strategies void Sand Stream or other weather changes on switch-in since they take effect only mid-turn. Inner Focus also means all Fake Outs will probably be aimed at its teammate, so Protect on it can slow opponents down considerably while Crobat sets up or goes for a Brave Bird.

Jumpluff is squarely a support mon which gets ridiculously fast under the sun but can still hold its own outside of it due to its high base speed. Helping Hand can be a huge boon and gets in before Fake Out, Sleep Powder and Encore can annoy things, and Protect lets me scout for potential Encores targets while biding time.

Houndoom probably seems like an iffy choice, but I've always liked it. Its two STAB moves are obvious, Protect lets me mega without risking getting outsped on its evolution turn, and the final move is up to either an extra offensive move for more coverage or Taunt to screw with status-happy pokemon.

Mamoswine brings lots of strong spread moves to the table, as well as a very welcome priority move. It can resist some things quite well while getting added water protection from the sun, and EQ gets along well with my fliers despite being bad when coupled with Houndoom and Ninetales, who can protect themselves anyway.

Ninetales is a natural Drought user that I can use in a pinch, and brings its own spread move to the party. Extrasensory gives it some more type coverage, and Will-o-Wisp is supposed to stop physical attackers. The final move slot could be Disable (to screw with choice item or Wide Guard users) or Protect (which has more uses, but doesn't look that good due to Ninetales not posing that much of a threat).

I'm not entirely sure about Scizor, but I was thinking that its typing brings a lot of resistances to the table while being sort of protected from fire-type moves by its partners. Roost can give it some nice survivability, while Quick Guard would mostly help against Pranksters since Scizor's low base speed means I probably won't be stopping any Fake Out users with it.

Yes! Just beat the Super Single Challenge girl, with the three flying clouds. I panicked at the beginning because I was so nervous and made a wrong switch, but eventually my Chomp obliterated almost everyone with Stone Edge. Funny, in the end when I went against the ground/flying one, I was using my Latias and he kept using Earth Power, even though I had Levitate. I understand that he did that because all his other moves here not very effective against mine, so I used the chance to setup +6 just for fun and obliterate him to pieces. I'll probably return to it after I bred some 'mons, even though it was only the CPU for me it was intense, I'm not used to battling that much. I need to rest a bit and run around in circles / left and right.

Just some final words to end this post: Fuck Regis.

celebi23

So, I've got another favor to ask. I'm trying to find a way to get Squirtle (with the mega stone) from my Pokémon Y game to my Pokémon X game. Would anyone be willing to help me trade from me to you and then back to me in my Pokémon X game? I'd transfer whatever Pokémon you'd trade from Y -> Pokémon Bank -> X and then trade that back to you for my Squirtle. Shoot me a PM if you can give me a hand. Thanks!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought I'd ask here, but does anyone happen to have a Carvanha or Sharpedo with speed boost? I just need it to breed with.

Muku

North American Pokeball pattern Viv is done, but taking its place are Pinsir/Heracross.

You sure it's done? I tried to connect online to just see what it would say, and says I already have one (without showing what it is). So I'm assuming it's still trying to give out the Viv.

I've gotten into breeding this last week and I'm super excited to start battling online and see my team fail spectacularly. I'm grinding out some battle points so I can get the hidden ability item and I've had the chance to battle more with my shiney pokemon. Meeting people at work who are into the game has definitely breathed new life into it for me.

Muku

I've gotten into breeding this last week and I'm super excited to start battling online and see my team fail spectacularly. I'm grinding out some battle points so I can get the hidden ability item and I've had the chance to battle more with my shiney pokemon. Meeting people at work who are into the game has definitely breathed new life into it for me.

You mean the Ability Capsule? If so, that only allows you to swap from a non HA to a non HA if Pokemon has more than one non HA. Can't transfer from a non HA to a HA with it. :(

With a good team it's usually possible to determine the CPU's possible actions and then do something that's safe against all of them, but occasionally you'll need to YOLO and be really aggressive.

JoeM86

As announced several months ago, Pokémon X & Y's Special Battle in Season 6 of the Rating Battles is to run a Double Battle where the most used Pokémon of Seasons 1 to 4 and half of Season 5 are banned. All other rules are standard Double Battle rules. Today, the ban list has been revealed. During Season 6, which runs from September 8th, you will not be able to use the following Pokémon: Charizard, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Mawile, Salamence, Garchomp, Togekiss, Rotom, Cresselia, Amoonguss, Thundurus, Landorus, Greninja, Talonflame, Meowstic, Aegislash or Sylveon.

As announced several months ago, Pokémon X & Y's Special Battle in Season 6 of the Rating Battles is to run a Double Battle where the most used Pokémon of Seasons 1 to 4 and half of Season 5 are banned. All other rules are standard Double Battle rules. Today, the ban list has been revealed. During Season 6, which runs from September 8th, you will not be able to use the following Pokémon: Charizard, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Mawile, Salamence, Garchomp, Togekiss, Rotom, Cresselia, Amoonguss, Thundurus, Landorus, Greninja, Talonflame, Meowstic, Aegislash or Sylveon.

That list there is my proverbial "do not breed" list lol. I don't play competitively but I do like breeding pokemon that aren't used as much. Hence why my current breed projects of Feebas, Snorunt, Skarmory were so fun. Well, soon to add Audino to that breeding list once I get myself a 6IV skarmory.

JoeM86

First, from August 13th to September 17th, you will be able to download Heracross or Pinsir to your X & Y games over the Internet. In addition to that, if you go to Gamestop stores from August 18th to August 31st, you'll be able to receive a special serial code to download the Heracronite or Pinsirite Mega Stones.

First, from August 13th to September 17th, you will be able to download Heracross or Pinsir to your X & Y games over the Internet. In addition to that, if you go to Gamestop stores from August 18th to August 31st, you'll be able to receive a special serial code to download the Heracronite or Pinsirite Mega Stones.

Ohhhh, neat

Dryk

Yep my triples streak failed ultimately because I decided to use Hydro Pump instead of thunderbolt with Rotom-W, missed and as a result took heavy solarbeam damage which lost me the automatic center 1 on 1 at the end.

Well that and Aerodactyl largely destroying my gimmick (a common theme with my teams) making my lead less effective.

My singles streak failed (past 50 so I'm done) as I forgot what sucker punch was (I was previously spooked by using it against a justified opponent, parental bond sucker punch vs. justified is not a good thing) and my multi streak ended at 51 due to trick room (given how many attempts ended about 40 here I'm fine with that, the run had many close calls as well).
My Triples streak ended at 70ish, I got fucked over by the Resttalk OHKO Walrein. Just threw my current 6v6 team (Galvantula, Talonflame, Empoleon, Metagross, Gardevoir, Garchomp) and it turned out to work pretty well.

Contemplating trying for 50 in Doubles but Doubles is my weakest battle type, might just take my adjusted team (I have a Slowbro I want to break in so I switched it and Breloom in instead of Metagross and Empoleon). Not sure how that's going to turn out yet. Didn't want to use Breloom but I have a pretty weaksauce pool of Pokemon to draw from.

Top Bottom