• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Akainu

I haven't play a pokemon game since ruby but I happened across a discussion about how the male clothes suck. How is it the you get a fedora but no suit but the female gets a shirt and tie. Also do men not wear turtle necks?

Muku

I haven't play a pokemon game since ruby but I happened across a discussion about how the male clothes suck. How is it the you get a fedora but no suit but the female gets a shirt and tie. Also men not wear turtle necks?

The guy clothes do suck. So very little choices. As much as I don't care much for the female choices, at least they have more to choose from.

Actually what irked me was the guys ultimately got the cool thing from the quest (Pangoro hat) while the ladies got something stupid (some silly dress).

JulianImp

I haven't play a pokemon game since ruby but I happened across a discussion about how the male clothes suck. How is it the you get a fedora but no suit but the female gets a shirt and tie. Also men not wear turtle necks?

Yeah, male clothing options suck big time in X/Y. Female characters get lots of different hairstyles, pants/skirts, shirts, hats and even bags, while males get two or three models per clothing with about four texture swaps each, and can only set their hair length or get a perm. Coming up with a slightly in-character look to play the part of a bug-type gym leader, I was stuck with those awful 3/4 length trousers (seriously, we don't even get shorts?!) and an orange shirt simply because the t-shirts were all ridiculously plain.

I've been playing doubles with my team now that everyone's ready, and I really like how they get along. I lost quite soon in duper doubles when I tried to Sky Drop a Torterra while Jumpluff missed Sleep Powder and got Stone Edged (I'll be using a Focus Sash on her later instead of a SE berry, because she's still all kinds of fragile despite the 252 HP EVs). I wanted to play a few Battle Spot matches, but it seems there was scheduled maintenance, so I played some more Battle Maison games, rocking stuff with Jumpluff, Aero, Scizor and Volcarona (I really wish I could take all six mons to mitigate my rock weakness). Also, Jumpluff is awesome, and Aero taking stuff away with Sky Drop was always welcome, since it often afforded Jumpluff a turn for putting whatever to sleep, and then using Helping Hand to KO whatever Aero had grabbed, or put it to sleep as well if it wasn't weak to flying-type moves. Running Worry Seed on it so far has been a bit counterproductive due to its anti-synergy with Sleep Powder, but I feel like it could force many switches against offensive mons that rely on their abilities, such as Mega Khan, Mega Mawhile or even Prankster mons.

So yeah, I'm really digging doubles! Even against the AI, battles feel a lot deeper and requiring a lot more skill to pull stuff off than singles. I'll have to learn more about what I can and can't Sky Drop, and speed tiers, but it looks like it could be fun even if I lose really often at first.

ST2K

Analytic or Natural Cure. Apparently opponent switching counts as going first the for the sake of Analytic (if not it is weird for a fast Pokemon to have such an ability).

Knowing my luck with shinies if I tried it would get Illuminate with 0 Speed.

I was going for Natural Cure, as I have no access to a HA Staryu and Analytic seems kinda limited and not worth the trouble.

Just got my shiny Staryu though, it got Natural Cure, 4 perfect IVs (Not in Attack or Defense) and it looks super cool.

I'm starting to breed fairies and my first one is going to be Marill cause why not? After that I'll work on Mawile and then back to the pain known as Bagon xP

ST2K

Every person that uses Greninja, Lucario, or Mega Charizard Y online needs to be banned.

I swear, it's a 50-50 shot people use one of those. It's so boring.

Hyunashi

I haven't play a pokemon game since ruby but I happened across a discussion about how the male clothes suck. How is it the you get a fedora but no suit but the female gets a shirt and tie. Also do men not wear turtle necks?

I agree, male clothing does kinda suck.

Every person that uses Greninja, Lucario, or Mega Charizard Y online needs to be banned.

I swear, it's a 50-50 shot people use one of those. It's so boring.
You just gotta be more mindful of these super common Pokemon. Those three are strong, but they can't take a hit. They also aren't so threatening when inflicted with status. Charizard in particular dies just by the mention of words "Rock Slide".

ST2K

You just gotta be more mindful of these super common Pokemon. Those three are strong, but they can't take a hit. They also aren't so threatening when inflicted with status. Charizard in particular dies just by the mention of words "Rock Slide".

Sure, I have counters for every one of them. But facing the same Pokemon with the same movesets over and over just gets old.

And topically, I just had a battle where the three Pokemon my opponent used were... Greninja, Lucario, and Mega Charizard Y.

Has anyone here actually gotten a poster from GameStop for preordering OR/AS? Just curious, since my GS doesn't seem to have any yet.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking, not really sure where else to do so. >_>

Panzon

So Nintendo linked my nnid to my new 3ds without any problems. Redownloading Pokemon X right now and advancing on Y version (cartridge) in the mean time. Can't wait to breed some good teams again.

I thought it was gonna be hell be a hastle but everything went nice and smooth

Ive been battling all weekend and here are some of my conclusions.

- Solar Beam Mega Evolved Charizard is evil.
- Aura Sphere is evil.
- My opponents never suffer from paralysis.
- Did I mention how evil Aura Sphere is?
- Sleep talk's favorite move to use is rest.

My team is a little too heavy on the steel/water/plant side, but I shouldn't keep getting wreaked by this basic move.

JulianImp

I've finally been able to play some battle spot doubles, and so far I've won three games and lost one. The one time I lost I was left with Jumpluff, so I tried to Encore Earthquake but I didn't know it would wear off as soon as the attack's PP hit zero, so I just gave up and kept using Helping Hand until 'pluff got KOed.

The team looks quite solid so far, even against OUs such as Greninja, Gardevoir and Charizard (X, though, but not even that can stand a Helping Handed Rock Slide from Aero). Being able to choose four mons each match is definitely an advantage over the battle chateau, since I can shore up my ridiculous ice, rock and electric-type weakneses with Scizor and Mamoswine on demand. Also, I've finally realized the value protect provides (even though I haven't had anyone use it against me so far).

Despite having no attacking moves, I think Jumpluff is doing quite a good job with Sleep Powder, Helping Hand, Encore and Worry Seed, even though I'm cosidering swapping WS for either Protect or an attacking move (maybe Giga Drain or Grass Knot, if it can learn the latter). Aero's moveset is perfect and so is Volcarona's, but I think Crobat might get a new move to replace Taunt and/or U-turn. Taunt helped me against a Meowstic once, but I feel like U-turn isn't too viable due to how fragile most of my mons are.

I'm currently running mega stones on both Aero and Scizor which might look a bit weird, but so far it's been great since I can always keep the other out of the match, or just trigger whichever of the two gives me the biggest advantage against the opposing team. The one item I'm not happy with is Mamoswine's Assault Vest, since it looks like its SpDef isn't that good to begin with. Anyone got any suggestions for what I could use in its stead?

- Solar Power Mega Evolved Charizard is evil.
- Aura Sphere is evil.

My team is a little too heavy on the steel/water/plant side, but I shouldn't keep getting wreaked by this basic move.

Charizard loses Solar Power when it Mega evolves. It gains Drought though, which makes its fire attack ridiculously strong.

I've finally been able to play some battle spot doubles, and so far I've won three games and lost one. The one time I lost I was left with Jumpluff, so I tried to Encore Earthquake but I didn't know it would wear off as soon as the attack's PP hit zero, so I just gave up and kept using Helping Hand until 'pluff got KOed.

The team looks quite solid so far, even against OUs such as Greninja, Gardevoir and Charizard (X, though, but not even that can stand a Helping Handed Rock Slide from Aero). Being able to choose four mons each match is definitely an advantage over the battle chateau, since I can shore up my ridiculous ice, rock and electric-type weakneses with Scizor and Mamoswine on demand. Also, I've finally realized the value protect provides (even though I haven't had anyone use it against me so far).

Despite having no attacking moves, I think Jumpluff is doing quite a good job with Sleep Powder, Helping Hand, Encore and Worry Seed, even though I'm cosidering swapping WS for either Protect or an attacking move (maybe Giga Drain or Grass Knot, if it can learn the latter). Aero's moveset is perfect and so is Volcarona's, but I think Crobat might get a new move to replace Taunt and/or U-turn. Taunt helped me against a Meowstic once, but I feel like U-turn isn't too viable due to how fragile most of my mons are.

I'm currently running mega stones on both Aero and Scizor which might look a bit weird, but so far it's been great since I can always keep the other out of the match, or just trigger whichever of the two gives me the biggest advantage against the opposing team. The one item I'm not happy with is Mamoswine's Assault Vest, since it looks like its SpDef isn't that good to begin with. Anyone got any suggestions for what I could use in its stead?
I actually also use Mega Scizor and Aerodactyl on my Doubles team, although not both together (Aerodactyl is part of my rotation).

Mamoswine I would have with a Choice Band, but if not then Muscle Band works too. That's just me though, I prefer using more powerful variants of Mamoswine.

JulianImp

I actually also use Mega Scizor and Aerodactyl on my Doubles team, although not both together (Aerodactyl is part of my rotation).

Mamoswine I would have with a Choice Band, but if not then Muscle Band works too. That's just me though, I prefer using more powerful variants of Mamoswine.

Isn't Choice Band a bit of a hindrance due to locking Mamoswine to a single attack? Muscle Band is certainly weaker, but I guess it could work as well. Scarf could also help it try for some flinch damage via Icicle Crash and Rock Slide (its other two moves are EQ and Ice Shard).

For Scizor I'm running Bullet Punch, X-Scissor, Swords Dance and Quick Guard, but so far I haven't been able to get it out and actually do a SD since foes tend to target it quite a bit. I love how badly it crushes Gardevoir, though (a Mega Gardevoir survived with a couple of pixels from full health, but I don't remember if I had used Helping Hand or not).

ryan13ts

Would any trustable GAF member be willing to help me transfer my Mega Stones to my new game (I only have Y, one 3DS and no local friends to help with this task)? I'm wanting to trade a couple of stones over to my new game, and I'd be willing to let the rest of the stones I'm not going to use go (I have quite a few of them). I also have some Legendaries that I'm not too concerned about keeping, as well as some high IV starters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this is the right thread, I didn't see any others ;\

- Solar Beam Mega Evolved Charizard is evil.
- Aura Sphere is evil.

What's your team? There could be some poor team construction going on.

What's your team? There could be some poor team construction going on.

That is most likely the answer. I just like the pokemon.

I use my shiny iron barb rock helmet Ferrothorn, Greninja, Sleep Talk Mega Garados, Malloswine, Klefki, and the fire bird from gen 6. For the most part I was playing Greninja, Garados, and Ferrothorn with Malloswine mixed in if I thought they had an electric attacker. Fighting just crushes all those types.

That is most likely the answer. I just like the pokemon.

I use my shiny iron barb rock helmet Ferrothorn, Greninja, Sleep Talk Mega Garados, Malloswine, Klefki, and the fire bird from gen 6. For the most part I was playing Greninja, Garados, and Ferrothorn with Malloswine mixed in if I thought they had an electric attacker. Fighting just crushes all those types.
When you see a Lucario, always bring your Talonflame (That's the fire bird). Always. If your Talonflame is raised correctly then you should be able to just switch Talonflame in and, if (Mega) Lucario doesn't switch, OHKO with Flare Blitz.

Oh, and try switching to DD Mega Gyarados. If you don't fall into the bad habit of always DDing then it should be an improvement over Sleep Talk. Bring-6-Pick-3 isn't really Sleep Talk friendly IMO.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Would any trustable GAF member be willing to help me transfer my Mega Stones to my new game (I only have Y, one 3DS and no local friends to help with this task)? I'm wanting to trade a couple of stones over to my new game, and I'd be willing to let the rest of the stones I'm not going to use go (I have quite a few of them). I also have some Legendaries that I'm not too concerned about keeping, as well as some high IV starters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this is the right thread, I didn't see any others ;\

I can help you. FC's on my profile.

When you see a Lucario, always bring your Talonflame (That's the fire bird). Always. If your Talonflame is raised correctly then you should be able to just switch Talonflame in and, if (Mega) Lucario doesn't switch, OHKO with Flare Blitz.

Oh, and try switching to DD Mega Gyarados. If you don't fall into the bad habit of always DDing then it should be an improvement over Sleep Talk. Bring-6-Pick-3 isn't really Sleep Talk friendly IMO.

What is sleep talk friendly? It's a really fun strat. Is DD direct Damage?

Randdalf

Dragon Dance

What I learned from playing Battle Spot was to never create a team which relied somewhat on luck-based moves (in my case, Hyponsis into Hydro Pump/Stone Edge). Gathering ideas via Wonder Trade for a second stab at a team once I get the time.

Anyone got any suggestions for what I could use in its stead?

Why not try life orb? Its sort of the in between of muscle and choice.

Dragon Dance

What I learned from playing Battle Spot was to never create a team which relied somewhat on luck-based moves (in my case, Hyponsis into Hydro Pump/Stone Edge). Gathering ideas via Wonder Trade for a second stab at a team once I get the time.

I am learning this with thunder wave. No one ever seems to suffer from paralysis.

DD's Dragon Dance. A standard set would be something like Dragon Dance/Crunch/Waterfall/Earthquake.

"Sleep talk friendly" basically means that Sleep Talk can do well in that format. So what I'm saying is that Sleep Talk doesn't really work that well here.

I am learning this with thunder wave. No one ever seems to suffer from paralysis.

Are you sure you're not just using it on pokemon that are immune? Thunder Wave, unlike many other status moves, is very reliable since it's 100% accuracy. Electric-types are immune to paralysis now (new to Gen VI), and then there are a few other things like the ability Limber or any situation where there's an increase in evasion or decrease in accuracy.

Are you sure you're not just using it on pokemon that are immune? Thunder Wave, unlike many other status moves, is very reliable since it's 100% accuracy. Electric-types are immune to paralysis now (new to Gen VI), and then there are a few other things like the ability Limber or any situation where there's an increase in evasion or decrease in accuracy.
I think he's referring to the 25% chance of a Pokemon not moving and not the application of the condition.

L.O.R.D

Smogon bird in a nutshell

KURQ5ej.jpg

Wanace

I've been running a Sand Rush Choice Banded Stoutland with Tyranitar as my leads and it's funny how little people seem to know about Sand Rush Stoutland. He outspeeds practically everything outside of Choice Scarfed Pokemon and hits super hard. I've swept entire teams with him. Only downside is the Choice Band locks me in but Tyranitar can take some of the pressure off.

DaBoss

I've started to document Pokemon I've bred on an excel sheet. It helps me keep track of the EVs invested and allows me to filter stuff so I can find a specific Pokemon. Also helps differentiate between different sets of the same Pokemon.

Doing this to prepare for ORAS.

Randdalf

So what other unannounced Mega/Primal Pokemon do you think are coming in ORAS?

I think these three are possibilities, since Megas generally theme around either popular (i.e. starters, pseudos) and underused/underpowered 'mons.
- Mega Castform
- Mega Tropius
- Mega Camerupt

Trying to breed a strong shiny togepi with HA right now 2 shinies and still no "luck", do have a few 3-5IV female with Super luck if anyone want one also have a extra celebi

I think these three are possibilities, since Megas generally theme around either popular (i.e. starters, pseudos) and underused/underpowered 'mons.
- Mega Castform
- Mega Tropius
- Mega Camerupt

I think Camerupt and Sharpedo are a given considering we pretty much already know that Maxie and Archie have Mega Stones. Tropius also somehow seems possible to me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Camerupt and Sharpedo are a given considering we pretty much already know that Maxie and Archie have Mega Stones. Tropius also somehow seems possible to me.

Honestly all Sharpedo needs for a mega is his hidden ability, he's broken as shit with speed boost. I played around with one for a little while and so long as you play him at the right time he'll rip through entire teams.

Speed Boost can be a boon, yeah. My friend uses a Speed Boost Scolipede sometimes and if he can set up a Swords Dance it becomes really dangerous in a hurry.

Ammatar

Neo Member
Hey guys. I just made my return to the world of Pokemon (and Nintendo as a whole) yesterday. Haven't played since blue, and there are a lot of additions, particularly trading.
Any idea how to find friends to trade with? I assume that there would be communities set up to get trades through-- especially for those pokemon who evolve through trade.

The wonder trade seems to be abused by people offering metapods, etc. and every passerby I've traded with seems to be focused on showing me their Lv. 100 Mewtwo.

Any suggestions for building up a roster of friends who actually want to make good trades?

Azuran

Banned

- Mega Castform
- Mega Tropius
- Mega Camerupt

I just want a Mega Breloom.

Infinite

- Mega Castform
- Mega Tropius
- Mega Camerupt

Mega Zangoose/ Mega Serviper.

Azuran

Banned
Is there a viable reason why female starters are so rare? I been trying to hatch a HA female Bulbasaur in a nest ball for the past 2 hours, and all I have gotten have been males. Oh wait, I did get ONE female but she hatched with the wrong ability ><

All I want to is replace the original Ivysaur I caught in the safari with a better one :/

Edit: And of course as soon as I post this, I get 3 HA females in one batch. Go figure.

Is there a viable reason why female starters are so rare? I been trying to hatch a HA female Bulbasaur in a nest ball for the past 2 hours, and all I have gotten have been males. Oh wait, I did get ONE female but she hatched with the wrong ability ><

All I want to is replace the original Ivysaur I caught in the safari with a better one :/

Edit: And of course as soon as I post this, I get 3 HA females in one batch. Go figure.

It's just something to make breeding starters "more difficult" in essence. Always been that way. The gender ratio is 7:1 male to female. Eevee and fossil pokemon are the same.

Muku

Complaining to GAF always works. :D

Edit: Except Shiny Porygon. Stupid Porygon.

JoeM86

The participating stores for the White Gengar event have been revealed

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/white-gengar/images/list_01.pdf

Basically:
&#9679;&#12450;&#12500;&#12479;&#12289;&#12500;&#12450;&#12468;&#65288;&#12486;&#12524;&#12499;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#21462;&#25201;&#24215;&#33303;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12452;&#12458;&#12531;&#12289;&#12452;&#12458;&#12531;&#12473;&#12540;&#12497;&#12540;&#12475;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#12289;&#12470;&#12539;&#12499;&#12483;&#12464;&#65288;&#19968;&#37096;&#24215;&#33303;&#12434;&#38500;&#12367;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12452;&#12488;&#12540;&#12520;&#12540;&#12459;&#12489;&#12540;&#65288;&#12486;&#12524;&#12499;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#21462;&#25201;&#24215;&#33303;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12456;&#12487;&#12451;&#12458;&#12531;&#65288;&#19968;&#37096;&#24215;&#33303;&#12434;&#38500;&#12367;&#65289;
&#9679;&#19978;&#26032;&#38651;&#27231;&#65288;&#19968;&#37096;&#24215;&#33303;&#12434;&#38500;&#12367;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12488;&#12452;&#12470;&#12425;&#12473;&#65288;&#12486;&#12524;&#12499;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#21462;&#25201;&#24215;&#33303;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12499;&#12483;&#12463;&#12459;&#12513;&#12521;&#12464;&#12523;&#12540;&#12503;&#65288;&#19968;&#37096;&#24215;&#33303;&#12434;&#38500;&#12367;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12516;&#12510;&#12480;&#38651;&#27231;&#12464;&#12523;&#12540;&#12503;&#65288;&#19968;&#37096;&#24215;&#33303;&#12434;&#38500;&#12367;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12520;&#12489;&#12496;&#12471;&#12459;&#12513;&#12521;&#65288;&#12450;&#12454;&#12488;&#12524;&#12483;&#12488;&#24215;&#12434;&#38500;&#12367;&#20840;&#24215;&#33303;&#65289;
&#9679;&#12509;&#12465;&#12514;&#12531;&#12475;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#65288;&#20840;&#24215;&#33303;&#12290;&#12509;&#12465;&#12514;&#12531;&#12473;&#12488;&#12450;&#12399;&#23550;&#35937;&#22806;&#65289;

But some stores are exempt, hence the ridiculously unreadable list :p

Top Bottom