• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

ugoo18

Perfects only, so just the ingame one.

I do use Metalkid for exact IVs

What do you do when it recommends a certain level to check IVs?

Currently use rare candies to get there but because of the Gamesync restriction to 1 sync an hour i have to wait now till i can send over more rare candies.

DaBoss

Currently use rare candies to get there but because of the Gamesync restriction to 1 sync an hour i have to wait now till i can send over more rare candies.
Do this:
- Save after you get what you think is the Pokemon with the right IVs.
- Use Rare Candies on it to get the info you need for the IV calc.
- Once the IV calc can determine the IVs, reset the game.
- You'll have your Rare Candies unused and know what Pokemon has the right IVs.

Also, make sure you record every level's stats. That way it can tell you the IVs a lot more quicker since it can see how much each stat goes up.

ffdgh

go to the battle institute in lumiose city. it'll bump pokemon up to level 50 making it easier to get more exact ivs.

Edit: oops read the question wrong.

ugoo18

Do this:
- Save after you get what you think is the Pokemon with the right IVs.
- Use Rare Candies on it to get the info you need for the IV calc.
- Once the IV calc can determine the IVs, reset the game.
- You'll have your Rare Candies unused and know what Pokemon has the right IVs.

That's what i do only problem is i didn't have enough rare candies when i started so i sent over 50 to be sure i would have enough when i reset next time.

Currently waiting for the Gamesync time thing to expire for me.

spiritfox

Beaten, but Battle Institute autolevels everything to 50.

spiritfox

Beaten, but Battle Institute autolevels everything to 50. That gives you a small enough range to work with. I don't breed for HP so I never go more exact.

Oops double post.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
What EV spread should I go with on my Skarmory? I've already put 252 into HP, but I don't know whether to go with a Defense, Special Defense or balanced spread.

Alchemy

What EV spread should I go with on my Skarmory? I've already put 252 into HP, but I don't know whether to go with a Defense, Special Defense or balanced spread.

What are you using the Skarm for and what is the rest of your team? EV spread should be put together to fit things you're trying to do. If you need Skarmory to take specific special attacks, run enough SpDef to do what you need.

I think the safest thing (if you're running standard physical wall) is just dump the rest into defense. Skarmory used to get away with no Def investment due to his typing, but ever since the special/physical split I find that to be very ineffective (though again it depends on the rest of your team).

ugoo18

Any suggestions for a 4th move for Smeargle?

Currently have

Shell Smash
Baton Pass
Spore

I was thinking of using Leech Seed for that 4th slot.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
What are you using the Skarm for and what is the rest of your team? EV spread should be put together to fit things you're trying to do. If you need Skarmory to take specific special attacks, run enough SpDef to do what you need.

I think the safest thing (if you're running standard physical wall) is just dump the rest into defense. Skarmory used to get away with no Def investment due to his typing, but ever since the special/physical split I find that to be very ineffective (though again it depends on the rest of your team).

Currently I have these Pokémon I use in Doubles:
Sableye 252 HP 120 Def 136 SDef - Stall/burn
Mamoswine (forgot the spread) - Choice Scarfed bulky attacker
Mega Kangakhan 252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP - Physical sweeper
Rotom-W 252 HP 252 SAtk 4 Spd - Burn/DisQuake
Mega Garchomp 252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP- Physical sweeper
Togekiss 252 HP 252 Atk 4 Spd- Assault Vest

I think I'm probably going to go with a physical wall. I could always switch into Togekiss when my opponent has a special attacker.

Alchemy

Currently I have these Pokémon I use in Doubles:
Sableye 252 HP 120 Def 136 SDef - Stall/burn
Mamoswine (forgot the spread) - Choice Scarfed bulky attacker
Mega Kangakhan 252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP - Physical sweeper
Rotom-W 252 HP 252 SAtk 4 Spd - Burn/DisQuake
Mega Garchomp 252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP- Physical sweeper
Togekiss 252 HP 252 Atk 4 Spd- Assault Vest

I think I'm probably going to go with a physical wall. I could always switch into Togekiss when my opponent has a special attacker.

Just be careful with Mega Manectric. MM carries both Flamethrower and Tbolt, making Garchomp the only real viable switch in (assuming no HP Ice). Mamo could be caught with a Flamethrower on the switch.

ugoo18

Minimize. LOL

I'm actually considering that now lol especially since it's Moody as well and i'll give it a focus sash. Although that's going to end up as a PP stall and a taunt magnet if it's the last thing alive.

EDIT: Might go Giga drain or Horn leech to avoid taunt

I'm actually considering that now lol especially since it's Moody as well and i'll give it a focus sash. Although that's going to end up as a PP stall and a taunt magnet if it's the last thing alive.

If it's Taunted, it's basically dead. I'd skip weaker attacking moves.

ffdgh

There's also the option of oblivion wing.

Delio

Now need to grab me a speed boost Sharpedo and my Wild Force team is complete! Anyone have a charity Speed boost Carvahna?

Even better, i'll probably use that then.

Any other attack suggestions?

Leaning towards Oblivion wing now.
You could go with Boomburst. It does crazy damage and has STAB. It does more damage to a Grass type than Oblivion Wing would, has 100% accuracy, and goes through Substitutes.

Quest1

Even better, i'll probably use that then.

Any other attack suggestions?

Leaning towards Oblivion wing now.

Foul play uses the opponents attack stat right? Maybe that could work.

Also, anyone up for some singles 6v6? I've been playing so much doubles lately. Wanna shake it up a bit. Lmk

macklelol

You could go with Boomburst. It does crazy damage and has STAB. It would do more damage to a Grass type than Oblivion Wing would.

Eh, what is Smeargle gonna do with attacks with only 20 base attack and special attack? Might as well just run Magic Coat and use it if you feel like an obvious taunt is coming.

Eh, what is Smeargle gonna do with attacks with only 20 base attack and special attack? Might as well just run Magic Coat and use it if you feel like an obvious taunt is coming.
I personally wouldn't use attacks, but he was asking for suggestions and Boomburst seemed like the best option.

gengar.gif

Gengar - #094 (Timid) Female (♀) Levitate: 31 / 20 - 21 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

So I had some Gastly lying around. I am having terrific luck lately.

Interrobang, it's telling me "There is a Pokemon that cannot be traded in your party." I'm gonna take the Discount Coupon away and see if it'll work.

*apparently, Discount Coupons cannot be traded.

Alchemy

There is only so much I can smash my head against upgrading my VGC team, I really need Bank/Transporter to give me something else to do.

You know, kids these days are really spoiled. I just can't help but be reminded with any and every trade that kids don't have to carry a Link Cable everywhere and experience the soul-crushing agony when you forget to bring it along. It really evokes memories of cloning Pokemon on the Game Boy Color.

one_kill

You know, kids these days are really spoiled. I just can't help but be reminded with any and every trade that kids don't have to carry a Link Cable everywhere and experience the soul-crushing agony when you forget to bring it along. It really evokes memories of cloning Pokemon on the Game Boy Color.
Man, those were the days!

I remember bringing my GBC to school with my Gold cart, sneaking behind the gym with friends, and just trading.

Kamina

Golden Boy
gengar.gif

Gengar - #094 (Timid) Female (♀) Levitate: 31 / 20 - 21 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

So I had some Gastly lying around. I am having terrific luck lately.
Do you happen to have some spare iv-bred ghastly eggs?
I've had no luck finding a decent Haunter for iv-breeding...

one_kill

Goodra's pretty bulky.

Just fought a dude that kept using Body Slam til my Porygon2 was paralysed, then continuously used Curse. I destroyed it with Azumarill though.

But the match has made me want to do an AV Goodra.

Kirlia

Banned
Decided to breed Snivy with the 6IV Ditto for fun/testing, then took one of the 4IV babies and bred it too...I think I was lucky and got a 5IV (31/xx/31/31/31/31) Serious Snivy pretty fast. I have an extra 5IV Serious Snivy (31/31/xx/31/31/31) if anyone wants it later, as well as a FEW other 2/3/4IV Snivy, but I'm going to sleep now. If anyone has a spare Bouffalant/Slakoth/Koffing/Baltoy/Castform/Kricketot/Glameow/Finneon/Darumaka, PM me with what you have. Best offer gets the 5IV Snivy! :)

Usobuko

Banned
Goodra's pretty bulky.

Just fought a dude that kept using Body Slam til my Porygon2 was paralysed, then continuously used Curse. I destroyed it with Azumarill though.

But the match has made me want to do an AV Goodra.

Wait till you see a AV Conkeldurr.

Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Ice Punch, Knock Off. Guts / Adamant.

Aw yeah, just hatched a shiny Shinx! Came out with perfect IVs, too. Glad I stayed up a bit late to breed some more eggs.

Congrats.

Top Bottom