• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

onslack

That would be great if it's not too much of a problem :)

Been striking out looking for safari's with ditto all day lol

I would love to have one! :)

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like one as well.

Would not mind one if I could. I particularly need it for a friend and he said he'll give me a shiny honedge and maybe other goodies since he is a competitive player where I'm casual lol.

Wow, few more people than i was expecting LOL!

It's not a problem, i might need a day or so.

Could you all pm me ( if you havent already) with you FC & IGN and what you want so i remember.

Usobuko

Banned
Drain Punch works with AV?

Yea. Kinda strong when combine with Mach Punch to secure kill.

I like the set quite a lot. Knock off for Psychic switch in or destroying leftover from tankers. Ice Punch for Gliscor, Landorus, pesky dragons etc. Since Dragonite has a tendency to carry weakness policy, knock helps to get rid of it and Dragonite's multiscale ability at the same time.

SeZMehK

Yea. Kinda strong when combine with Mach Punch to secure kill.

I like the set quite a lot. Knock off for Psychic switch in or destroying leftover from tankers. Ice Punch for Gliscor, Landorus, pesky dragons etc. Since Dragonite has a tendency to carry weakness policy, knock helps to get rid of it and Dragonite's multiscale ability at the same time.
Too bad that ice punch and knock off are not egg moves.

I can also clone some 6IV Jap Ditto's tomorrow if anyone still needs one?

Got a few other things I need to clone too!

I was just coming to the thread to ask for a 6IV ditto. Could I get one too please? I could try to clone it to help out some also.

I have one in my BW2 game if bank would come out already.

Tiamant

Oh my god, why I've never seen this move used in competitive battles?

Snatch enables the user to steal the target's move and use its effect on itself, instead of the intended recipient. A move cannot be stolen multiple times. This move has a priority of +4, so will always go before any move that can be Snatched. The moves that can be taken by Snatch include: all stat-boosting moves (eg. Swords Dance), all recovery moves (eg. Recover, Ingrain, Recycle), all effect-changing moves (eg. Magnet Rise, Power Trick, Reflect), and certain protection moves. Substitute, Lucky Chant, Wide Guard, and Fast Guard can all be Snatched, but Protect and Detect cannot. Acupressure cannot be Snatched. Imprison can be Snatched, but Taunt and other such moves cannot. Aromatherapy, Heal Bell, Healing Wish, and Lunar Dance can all be Snatched. Helping Hand cannot be Snatched. This move cannot be blocked by Substitute.

In double or triple battles, Snatch affects all opposing Pokemon, so Snatch can theoretically steal more than one boost from different Pokemon. If two Pokemon on opposing sides use Snatch, then the faster Pokemon will Snatch any boosts on the slower Pokemon's side, and then the slower Pokemon will Snatch those boosts from the faster Pokemon, so that only the slower Pokemon enjoys the effects of the original move.

sounds pretty good to me!

Wichu

Oh my god, why I've never seen this move used in competitive battles?

sounds pretty good to me!

It's usually better just to attack while the opponent boosts, and if you mispredict, you've just wasted a turn.

I do want to try it in doubles/triples to ruin my opponents' Mat Block, though :O

OceanBlue

One of the problems I see with Snatch is that most of the Pokemon that learn Snatch also learn Taunt. I have it on my Liepard and I always opt for Taunt instead because I don't want to risk getting Thunder Wave'd or something.

Laieon

Just my luck, the week I decide to finally break down and buy X because I can't find my copy of Y is the week after they stop the Torchic/Blazikenite event. :(

Is there any other way to get the Blazikenite (cloning maybe?), or am I screwed?

Hey, so does anyone have a Manaphy/Jirachi/Darkrai/Shaymin to loan me for a couple minutes? GTS has none of these and i'd like to finish my pokedex for once :p

FSLink

Banned
Just my luck, the week I decide to finally break down and buy X because I can't find my copy of Y is the week after they stop the Torchic/Blazikenite event. :(

Is there any other way to get the Blazikenite (cloning maybe?), or am I screwed?

At the moment, cloning would be the only way unless someone already has extras by starting over/trading over.

As disappointing as i thought Serperior was in my W/W2 playthrouhgs, Contrary looks amazing. I don't play competitively, but I can't read anything on it without hearing Dragon Dance or Swords Dance mentioned.

Alchemy

As disappointing as i thought Serperior was in my W/W2 playthrouhgs, Contrary looks amazing. I don't play competitively, but I can't read anything on it without hearing Dragon Dance or Swords Dance mentioned.

Contrary makes the boosts from Dragon Dance and Swords Dance become drops. So instead of +2 attack, you end up with -2 from Swords Dance. Contrary is useful for attacks like Leaf Storm, which instead of dropping your SpAttack two stages actually increases it. So it acts like a BP 140 Nasty Plot.

MicH

If you like Contrary you should try out Superpower Malamar. If you can get him going, he can wreck some serious shit

JoeM86

I sometimes run a team of Contrary Malamar & Noivern in Doubles

Noivern uses Draco Meteor - Sp. Atk -2.
Malamar uses Topsy-Turvy and Noivern. Makes it Sp. Atk +2

Assuming both survived, turn 2:

Noivern uses Draco Meteor - Sp. Atk returns to 0
Malamar uses Superpower - Atk & Def + 1 thanks to contrary

Continuing on, if both survive, rinse and repeat :).

Taken down many a team with this combo.

I sometimes run a team of Contrary Malamar & Noivern in Doubles

Noivern uses Draco Meteor - Sp. Atk -2.
Malamar uses Topsy-Turvy and Noivern. Makes it Sp. Atk +2

Assuming both survived, turn 2:

Noivern uses Draco Meteor - Sp. Atk returns to 0
Malamar uses Superpower - Atk & Def + 1 thanks to contrary

Continuing on, if both survive, rinse and repeat :).

Taken down many a team with this combo.

You do seem to run some nasty strategies, you know that!

Also didn't notice until now that you have a tag. I'm surprised it took that long actually.

JoeM86

You do seem to run some nasty strategies, you know that!

Also didn't notice until now that you have a tag. I'm surprised it took that long actually.

Yeah I just noticed that too. Mocking an incident where people slightly misinterpreted my meaning. Ah well :p

I like to stray from the conventional strategies. I don't switch unless I'm well and truly screwed, and always try to fight with honour. If there's an evil strategy, then I'll use it.

Problem is, my strategies all rely on everything going right, and that doesn't always happen.

Son Of D

What's the best way to get a 5 or 6IV Ditto? I presume it's rather extreme luck when catching them or trading with someone else.

Yeah I just noticed that too. Mocking an incident where people slightly misinterpreted my meaning. Ah well :p

I like to stray from the conventional strategies. I don't switch unless I'm well and truly screwed, and always try to fight with honour. If there's an evil strategy, then I'll use it.

Problem is, my strategies all rely on everything going right, and that doesn't always happen.

If you were going to get a tag, it may as well be a humourous one! So I guess it isn't that bad.

As for my battle strategy I normally like finding a safe switch and then setting up on things and then sweeping afterwards. Although this only seems to work in 6v6, can't really do it in 3v3 due to how the playstyle is more streight offense.

I don't really play any of the other battle styles although I might try my hand at triples eventually. I have some strategies that could work well in it.

JoeM86

If you were going to get a tag, it may as well be a humourous one! So I guess it isn't that bad.

As for my battle strategy I normally like finding a safe switch and then setting up on things and then sweeping afterwards. Although this only seems to work in 6v6, can't really do it in 3v3 due to how the playstyle is more streight offense.

I don't really play any of the other battle styles although I might try my hand at triples eventually. I have some strategies that could work well in it.

I find Doubles & Triples far more strategic.

One of my friends has been challenging me for the last year, been sorting my XY team for a while...but he is making this be a Single battle. I just find them a bit less strategic. It's either attack or switch. With Doubles/Triples, you have to think more strategically with positions, move selection etc.

Wichu

I find Doubles & Triples far more strategic.

One of my friends has been challenging me for the last year, been sorting my XY team for a while...but he is making this be a Single battle. I just find them a bit less strategic. It's either attack or switch. With Doubles/Triples, you have to think more strategically with positions, move selection etc.

I agree, but most people want to do single battles so I haven't had much practice at doubles :(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Contrary Serperior is the greatest thing.

Holy crap someone tell me how to make the rain go the hell away I'm trying to do horde training.

Guys I need help on an additiional member of my team.

I have:

Mega Kangaskhan
Tyrantrum
Jellicent
Metagross

I wanted to add an Electric type. Was thinking of Jolteon or Eelektross, who should I go with?

And which would be a great 6th pokemon to compliment my team?

I have:

Mega Kangaskhan
Tyrantrum
Jellicent
Metagross

I wanted to add an Electric type. Was thinking of Jolteon or Eelektross, who should I go with?

Something immune to Ground and that can take a fighting type attack I would think. Gliscor or Gyarados maybe. One of the lati twins might work but that will add yet another dark weakness.

As for the electric type, Jolteon will probably give you better mileage.

Firestorm

I have:

Mega Kangaskhan
Tyrantrum
Jellicent
Metagross

I've been loving Rotom-Heat on my team.
I probably wont go back to singles after playing doubles. Its just too much fun.
one of us one of us one of us

MicH

I'm enjoying doubles surprisingly much, too. Can't wait to try out my doubles Trick Room team

EDIT

Just got a 31/31/31/31/31/0 female No Guard Machop. Didn't even want SpA, but I I suppose this will do, lol.

Sez, I have a female one for you with four egg moves; Knock Off, Quick Guard, Ice Punch and Bullet Punch

Have two extra males if anyone wants one

MicH

What about me? :p
Well, you can have the female in the day care if you want :p You have to relearn the egg moves, though :/ Or you can have the perfect (/31/31/31/x/31/0) female Guts one if you want

EDIT Just bred you a female No Guard one with 3 max IVs (it has SpA) IVs, but with 0 Speed

Firestorm

I even signed up for the nugget bridge tourney!

You ready to play our match now? Im on now.

Edit: GG! Im so sorry for all of that hax :(

If it wasnt for hax i would have probably lost.
Definitely rolls that didn't go my way, but there was still one turn where I could have increased my chances of winning and just didn't do so I can't blame it all on external factors :p good game!
I should at least try doubles/VGC one of these days...

@Firestorm:
How much of a change is it when you are proficient in singles?
As I always say, Pokemon is Pokemon. A lot of your skill will transfer over. The game is still about information / risk / probability management. However, with two Pokemon per side there is a lot of change with regards to how momentum during a match flows and the degree of risk that's attached to your actions (like switching or set up moves).

I'd watch some battles with commentary and grab some teams from team reports to do some practice before making your team yourself.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Wow, I just had a really close battle. My opponent took out my Kangakhan and Skarmory really quickly, but I managed to win with my Togekiss and Sableye.
B35G-WWWW-WWW4-V7TD

My team is really bad against Special Attackers. Any suggestions on Pokémon I can add with good Special Defense?

DaBoss

Well, you can have the female in the day care if you want :p You have to relearn the egg moves, though :/ Or you can have the perfect (/31/31/31/x/31/0) female Guts one if you want

EDIT Just bred you a female No Guard one with 3 max IVs (it has SpA) IVs, but with 0 Speed
Oh, you didn't have to do that. Thank you very much.

I can give you some more female Luxury Ball Pokemon if you want.

MicH

Oh, you didn't have to do that. Thank you very much.

I can give you some more female Luxury Ball Pokemon if you want.
Thanks for the offer, but it's okay. I think I have some extra Solosis, Scraggy, Ferroseed, Bagon, Vulpix, Mawile and Cubones in luxury balls if you need any of those

DaBoss

Thanks for the offer, but it's okay. I think I have some extra Solosis, Scraggy, Ferroseed, Bagon, Vulpix, Mawile and Cubones in luxury balls if you need any of those
May I have a Bagon and a Cubone? Just curious, do your Scraggy have Intimidate and what egg moves do they have and what format of battles do you primarily do now? I found Intimidate to be really useful in Doubles compared to Moxie.

I've got lots of extras, too many to list. During the trade, show a Pokemon, and then cancel if you have it.

EDIT: Can't trade right now, sorry.

Top Bottom