• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Tiamant

Luckily for me I've found excellent counters to The Stupid Bird without actually looking for them. Cradily, Kabutops and Carracosta laugh at everything it can throw to them while OHKOing the next turn. It's unfortunate that I don't like any of the supposed good counters for Kanga...

Kirlia

Banned
Luckily for me I've found excellent counters to The Stupid Bird without actually looking for them. Cradily, Kabutops and Carracosta laugh at everything it can throw to them while OHKOing the next turn. It's unfortunate that I don't like any of the supposed good counters for Kanga...

The only reason I'm really even going for 5IV Pokemon is to stand a chance in the Battle Maison someday. I'm definitely not big with online competitive battling. I remain more of a collector/casual player/breeder/trader than an online battler.

Usobuko

Banned

Bait an EQ and switch to Emolga and encore it. Very situational but I like cutesy pokemon defeating big bad boys.

DaBoss

I'll just never use the Choice Band set for Talonflame, that thing is stupid strong lol.
I am fucking furious right now. Dark void Smeargle is so stupid.
lol, if you see a Smeargle, you flinch the shit out of it. Or have a Pokemon with a status healing berry lol.
Anyone want to do a double battle? Just threw together something real quick.
Yea, just wait a sec.

ugoo18

Thanks Sez!

I hate Talonflame so much. I refuse to breed one myself.

q19B9.gif

Korosenai

I'll just never use the Choice Band set for Talonflame, that thing is stupid strong lol.

lol, if you see a Smeargle, you flinch the shit out of it. Or have a Pokemon with a status healing berry lol.

Yea, just wait a sec.

Because Spore exists? Spore doesn't on Grass Pokemon anymore or those with Sap Sipper ability. So Dark Void isn't that bad.
Well, I had Sableye and I was taunting it. Nine minutes later it's finally down to Mega Pinsir and Smeargle (both full health, his Chandelure just killed Sableye, and my Pinsir just killed Chandelure). The very same turn its taunt ends. So I hit it with return, it has focus sash, it uses dark void, then transforms into Mega Pinsir and kills me with return...

spiritfox

Well, I had Sableye and I was taunting it. Nine minutes later it's finally down to Mega Pinsir and Smeargle (both full health, his Chandelure just killed Sableye, and my Pinsir just killed Chandelure). The very same turn its taunt ends. So I hit it with return, it has focus sash, it uses dark void, then transforms into Mega Pinsir and kills me with return...

Oh wow transform Smeargle sounds awesome. I need to try it someday.

Firestorm

Usually better to remove threats than temporarily disable 'em. They'll almost always have Focus Sash with Dark Void. I'd probably Safeguard and take care of it with spread moves while concentrating on its partner, but I haven't really run into it yet as it's not a consistent way of winning.

Oh wow transform Smeargle sounds awesome. I need to try it someday.
Dark Void then Transform into your partner Mega Kangaskhan that just power up punched (transform copies the boosts) :3

Korosenai

Usually better to remove threats than temporarily disable 'em. They'll almost always have Focus Sash with Dark Void. I'd probably Safeguard and take care of it with spread moves while concentrating on its partner, but I haven't really run into it yet as it's not a consistent way of winning.
Yeah, every time I'd try to taunt it he would just switch it out real fast. I did mess up though not trying to attack it earlier, I learned my lesson at least.

So I'm breeding a new Slowpoke with the JPN 6IV Ditto.

The Ditto is holding a Destiny knot - this should transfer at least 5 perfect IVs if not all of them, correct?

The Slowpoke is holding an everstone to pass down its Modest nature. This is guaranteed right?

With this combination, why does the Kiloude judge say only 3 stats can't be beat? Shouldn't it be at least 5?

Kirlia

Banned

The Ditto is holding a Destiny knot - this should transfer at least 5 perfect IVs if not all of them, correct?

The Slowpoke is holding an everstone to pass down its Modest nature. This is guaranteed right?

With this combination, why does the Kiloude judge say only 3 stats can't be beat? Shouldn't it be at least 5?

I believe it transfers 5 IVs from BOTH parents. So let's say that the Slowpoke has 3 perfect IVs and the Ditto has 6. Since 5 IVs transfer from the parents, and 9/12 of the total IVs are perfect, in the very worst-case scenario, you are still going to get two perfect IVs. At least, I think that's how it goes.

And yes, Modest nature is absolutely guaranteed.

macklelol

When using Destiny Knot, 5 IVs from either parent will get passed down. It doesn't matter who holds it, it'll be random.

I believe it transfers 5 IVs from BOTH parents. So let's say that the Slowpoke has 3 perfect IVs and the Ditto has 6. Since 5 IVs transfer from the parents, and 9/12 of the total IVs are perfect, in the very worst-case scenario, you are still going to get two perfect IVs. At least, I think that's how it goes.

And yes, Modest nature is absolutely guaranteed.

Oh, I thought it transfers 5 from the Pokemon holding it, ie: the ditto. Dang!

Kirlia

Banned
Oh, I thought it transfers 5 from the Pokemon holding it, ie: the ditto. Dang!

Still, check the babies' IVs. It's very likely you will get at least some perfect IVs on some of the babies, so when you get a baby with 3 or more perfect IVs, you can switch it out with the Slowpoke you are currently mating the Ditto with. Hooray for incest, eh?

Also, are egg moves still male-exclusive with being passed down, or can females now pass down egg moves as well? I forget if changes were done with that.

SeZMehK

Hmm, I am trying to get a shiny golett. >.< I really hope I get a hit soon.

Still, check the babies' IVs. It's very likely you will get at least some perfect IVs on some of the babies, so when you get a baby with 3 or more perfect IVs, you can switch it out with the Slowpoke you are currently mating the Ditto with. Hooray for incest, eh?

Also, are egg moves still male-exclusive with being passed down, or can females now pass down egg moves as well? I forget if changes were done with that.

Females can pass it down too.

Females can pass them down now too.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Sableye would probably be really useful against one. Anything that outspeeds Kangakhan and has a powerful fighting-type move can kill it quickly.

Kirlia

Banned
Hmm, I am trying to get a shiny golett. >.< I really hope I get a hit soon.

Oh, God, have fun. Still, I'm sure you'll get lucky. I still want to get a Shiny Charm before any more shiny breeding though, hence the regular breeding and item trading I'm doing.

And awesome on the females passing down egg moves now. I have a female Meditite with egg moves, so I'll raise her to Medicham levels before breeding her with Ditto and getting a male Meditite to breed with a female Electabuzz.

SeZMehK

Oh, God, have fun. Still, I'm sure you'll get lucky. I still want to get a Shiny Charm before any more shiny breeding though, hence the regular breeding and item trading I'm doing.

I've got my shiny charm. I've got shinys when I don't go for them. When I want one, it'll never come. XD

one_kill

I hate Mega Kangaskhan. It's fucking broken.

After losing to one, I changed a few things so I could counter it. I gave my sweeper a focus sash and another a choice scarf. I also have a Jellicent just in case.

Just faced a Dark Void Smeargle + Perish Song Gengar combo... And won. Feels good.
Good job man! Must've been annoying.

CrimsonN0

I hate Mega Kangaskhan. It's fucking broken.

After losing to one, I changed a few things so I could counter it. I gave my sweeper a focus sash and another a choice scarf. I also have a Jellicent just in case.

Good job man! Must've been annoying.

one_kill, I was wondering if you had any breeding rejects from that HA Drill Run Karrablast from a few days ago.

Firestorm

So that's how the pledge move works.

This team was randomly put together btw lol.

Pledges :3 I had one match in a tournament that we're doing for local players (but online still) where I got 3 of my 4 KOs from pledges. One from the initial hit, then two more from the residual damage.

RoySFNR

You would have to switch it in after the Mega Evolution, wouldn't you? Depending on how powerful it is, you could already be killed.

But if you switch it in after a kill? I could see how you could avoid it being copied in a 6 v 6 but playing around that on battlespot where you only have three pokemon must be difficult. For all your opponent knows, you might not even have selected it to fight.

PBalfredo

I'm at a friend's house and we want to get a Multi Battle going. Is there any way to set up a Multi Battle against randoms, like with regular battles in the Battle Spot? Or is the only way to do Multi Battles is with people in your friend/acquaintances list? Also, how do I get Multi Battles set up in the Battle Mansion? Does my friend have to have access to the mansion as well?

Korosenai

GG Hibi... i'm not quite sure how to deal with your team lol.

edit: GG again :( I felt pretty confident that time, I should have just burned Mawile... don't know what I was thinking. It was good practice though, so thanks for playing with me!

Boogiepop

Man, Mega Mawile has a lame number of options locked in old stuff. They really need to just bring up and keep up all old move tutors. Or maybe just make them egg moves. Not that I'm sure I'd want them anyway, but its depressing in a way.

Anyway, I'm thinking of making one for my doubles TR team, but I'm a little back and forth on the set.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards:
Play Rough
Fire Fang
Sucker Punch
Protect

But it sucks that I can't fit Iron Head in there. Really wanted a nice tool to smack around Fairies with, but I'm not sure it's worth giving up one of the other moves for.

Also, I'm thinking just go with full HP and Attack (and I guess maybe the remainder in Sp. Def?), since I'm running TR anyway.

Does that sound about right, or am I missing some better options here, before I dive into breeding again?

Usobuko

Banned
Right now I'm kind of leaning towards:
Play Rough
Fire Fang
Sucker Punch
Protect

I don't play double but this looks pretty good to me. I'm not sure how useful is Fire Fang there though. Like if Scizor, Genesect, Ferrothorn, Forretress etc are common. You have protect and sucker punch to force a prediction game.

First time ever attempting to get a perfect IV Poke right now and all I can say is... you guys are damn saints.

2 boxes filled with 4IV and 5IV rejects. This damn Ditto with Destiny Knot is a lazy bum.

First time ever attempting to get a perfect IV Poke right now and all I can say is... you guys are damn saints.

2 boxes filled with 4IV and 5IV rejects. This damn Ditto with Destiny Knot is a lazy bum.
Only two boxes? You're almost halfway there. There are about a hundred people on WT that ended up with a near-perfect Gligar from me over the last couple of days.

I just chalk it up to karma. I ended up with a fair few interesting 'mons myself. I might have a go with a Belly Drum Azumarill since somebody else already did 90% of the work on it. I'd never have bothered if I didn't pick it up on the random.

one_kill

Just had a pretty awesome match with some dude from Mexico. His team was Breloom, Arcanine, Milotic, Gengar, Mega Tyranitar, and Excadrill.

It was mostly stalling. Most of his damage was coming from Stealth Rocks, but my team eats those for breakfast. Gliscor handled it well.

My favourite part of the fight was at the start. I predicted he was going to start off with Breloom so I picked Gliscor to be first. He didn't switch out for some reason (perhaps he thought I didn't have anything to fight him with), so I OHKO his Breloom with Aerial Ace.

I'm pretty happy with my team. I still need the last spot filled in.

I just chalk it up to karma. I ended up with a fair few interesting 'mons myself. I might have a go with a Belly Drum Azumarill since somebody else already did 90% of the work on it. I'd never have bothered if I didn't pick it up on the random.
Belly Drum is pretty situational, and I would argue that it's mostly useless in single battles.

Why does it have to be perfect anyway? Pokemon with 5IV in the right stats are competitive enough.

I've only got a couple of perfect IV Pokemon, one of which I bred myself. Never bothered with the rest.

Yeah, I'm on right now.

EDIT: Thanks, I've been wanting to make an Escavalier for a while.
np dude :D Escavalier's pretty awesome. I think I'll be keeping the one I've trained on my team.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm going to breed a lot of Misdreavus tomorrow. It has egg moves Nasty Plot, Destiny Bond, Imprison, Skill Swap.

Anyone want the breeding rejects? No luxury/premier balls though, peasants pokeball instead.

Top Bottom