• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Once Frozen, you will never defrost
- If Hyper Beam kills an enemy or Substitute, it doesn't need to recharge
- Waking up from sleep wastes a turn.
- There are no notable STAB moves for Bug, Ghost or Dragon.
- Because of the previous point, Psychic Pokemon basically have no weakness
- Focus Energy does absolutely nothing
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense (Screech or Leer for example), crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
- Even 100% accurate moves can miss
You might as well link them to the Smogon page:

http://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/differences

And I vote for the link to be added to the OP.

One of the defining games of my childhood. I'm glad the younger crowd is getting a good opportunity to play it! Though tbh, it's not going to hold up as well as the later Pokemon games like G/S.

Teknoman

So I've never played one of these games. Is this a good place to start?

Are you ok with retro games/ rpgs? Then sure. If you cant play 8 bit games with old school sensibilities, then probably not. You'd be better served starting with a recent game, or at least Fire Red / Leaf Green.

Dishwalla

Banned
I still have my Yellow cart with my OG save file with a nearly complete Pokedex, it's hard to believe it's kept that save for nearly 20 years. Have my Blue too, but it hasn't held up as well as the Yellow cart has, have had save files lost just by bumping the cart while it's in the bottom of a GBA SP.

Bought that nifty New 3DS bundle with Red and Blue preloaded, hope that comes tomorrow, but if it doesn't I can wait until Monday.

I'm soooooo excited for this. This is the only mainline pokemon game I've never finished. I had a clear purple gameboy color and pokemon blue, but when I got halfway through it my boyfriend had to stay in the hospital for a week for an operation, so I deleted my savefile and lent the system and game to him to keep him company. I never got around to starting over, but 16 years later, I'm ready :)

painey

I imported the yellow transparent 2DS from Amazon.fr... hoping it shows up next week and is in English. Lol, I did zero research but want that transparent yellow!

25-nintendo-2ds-pokemon-japan-9.jpg

this might be the worst thing Nintendo has put their name on in decades

Weebos

Banned
Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Once Frozen, you will never defrost
- If Hyper Beam kills an enemy or Substitute, it doesn't need to recharge
- Waking up from sleep wastes a turn.
- There are no notable STAB moves for Bug, Ghost or Dragon.
- Because of the previous point, Psychic Pokemon basically have no weakness
- Focus Energy does absolutely nothing
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense (Screech or Leer for example), crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
- Even 100% accurate moves can miss

This will be crucial for my nuzlocke, thanks.

L95

So can I corrupt my entire 3DS by getting Missingno? lol

Doubt it. I imagine at the very most worst case scenario is you'd have to redownload the game. I doubt the emulator is allowed to write to the system or anything like that?

Makonero

Can't wait to play Red tomorrow. I'm doing a Gift-pokemon only game, including game corner ones. I was looking through the movesets though and holy God are they awful. I think I should be able to make it work though. I'll only have my starter for the first gym, and then only two (thank you Magikarp salesman!) for the next two, but once I get to Celadon I should get a full team, or at least close.

StoneFox

As much as I would like Yellow version, I prefer Raichu over Pikachu. Blue is perfect outside of not being able to natively catch Arcanine.

I guess I could buy more than one version and transfer over pokemon using Bank.

Kyzon

You can try it if you're really curious!

I don't think so, the VC games are in a kind of sandbox so anything that happen there don't should affect the 3DS system.

Doubt it. I imagine at the very most worst case scenario is you'd have to redownload the game. I doubt the emulator is allowed to write to the system or anything like that?

Sounds great.

I remember my old Red version being rendered unable to save after I caught Missingno and beat the Elite Four with it.

The capital E in eShop is bothering me lol. Should I buy all 3? The only one I don't personally own is Yellow so I might just get that.

Windam

Scaley member
Still have my copy of Yellow so I guess I'll go with Red this time around for the 1000th time. RIP Blue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The modern games are a better starting point for new players. I mean you can play this but they're really dated at this point and they're not really a representation of the series nowadays.

Which one - X/Y or the remakes of ruby/sapphire?

If this isn't your first run through RBY, it might be worth using a team of oddball Pokemon that were good in Gen I, but faded away almost instantly.

Persian, Tauros, Exeggutor, Golem, Victreebel, Articuno and Dodrio can make a unique team of Pokemon that really only shine in Gen I.

That has to have some shopped elements. They never mentioned any of that from what I remember.
The guy really does say Raichu evolved.

What happened is in Japanese Blue, that trade is your Graveler for a Rapidash. When you trade your Graveler, it does evolve, so the guy tells you Graveler evolved.

The US version uses the script from Japanese Blue but the trades from Red/Green, so they left his dialogue intact and just swapped the names of the Pokemon without adjusting for the fact that Raichu doesn't have an evolution.

I believe a similar thing happens with a Poliwhirl that you can trade, although that makes a little more sense as Poliwhirl can evolve, just not by trade until later.

jwhit28

I didn't know being frozen, wrapped, or bound wasn't supposed to work like how it does in Gen 1. I didn't find out until last gen that ghost wasn't weak to psychic, it was the poison that made Gengar useless against Alakazam.

This will be crucial for my nuzlocke, thanks.

Glad to see I'm not the only one planning to a Nuzlocke. Thinking yellow personally maybe even have a rule saying that if Pikachu is knocked out I lose and I HAVE to have him in my party the entire time.

This is going to be interesting for sure.

Remember people who picked yellow. The old man glitch doesn't work and most versions of miissingno crash the game 99% of the time (if using trainer fly(. Ones like the Kabutops Fossil and Ghost work though. Of course the required special stats being so high means it'll be a while until you can trainer fly for item duplication.

Speaking of Yellow things. Can Venonat learn teleport?
Speedruns were so different back then.

Why are so many people grabbing red? Should I know something? :p
It is better for speedrunning than Blue due to higher Nidoran male encounter rates.

I showed pics of that unused panel de pon... thing in pokemon puzzle challenge with no issues.
Off-topic: I never knew about this. Such a weird feature to have in that game.

FSLink

Banned
Are glitches like Missingno still in the game? Hell Yes. They left all of the glitches intact. FOR ALL VERSIONS. Since Yellow didn't have Missingno, it will not be present in the rerelease. These are direct ports of the original releases.

Missingno still exists, just can't access it through the same glitches as Red/Blue.

Remember people who picked yellow. The old man glitch doesn't work and most versions of miissingno crash the game 99% of the time (if using trainer fly(. Ones like the Kabutops Fossil and Ghost work though. Of course the required special stats being so high means it'll be a while until you can trainer fly for item duplication.

Also this.

Saiyan-Rox

It's even more gross in person:

ABBL39H.jpg

I actually don't mind it if i'm honest. Though with the new CPU in the New 3DS it's even more pointless than before.

The Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire ones made sense since those cartridges where also transparent but the fact these games didn't have those slightly annoys me.

With the encouragement of a friend, I decided I'll get Yellow since it's in colour. I don't really care about the starters, but I'll use Pikachu for a hellish time.

Top Bottom