• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

pupcoffee

I though I was only looking towards the future, but I might have to play these again. These are my ideal length for a Pokemon game.

khaaan

Play Black 2 or White 2. Best up there with Platinum.

I haven't played B2/W2 but I bought White last year and easily thought it was one of the most enjoyable I had played. Just the fact that they blocked you from catching older Pokemon was great, when I was playing Y I often dropped Pokemon I hadn't seen before for old favorites. Not even giving me my old favorites meant I could take the time to discover new Pokemon.

Great!

Me neither! It's my first time doing it!

Optional rule: Nickname your Pokémon. :D

Nicknaming is great, I did a Song of Ice and Fire X/Y run, a "people that I know in real life" ORAS run, plus many other old games. I love Nuzlocking and I almost can't play the games without doing it. One rule that I do too is pairing pokemons, so I can only use two in a battle (let's say I have pokemons 1-6, when I get them I pair the ones I'm getting without being able to change it later unless one of them dies).

octopiggy

I'm in for Pokemon Primeape version.
Can't wait to have those old TMs again like BODY SLAM and softboiled.

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...
9FYmYBS.jpg

I found a pdf of this one online. Going to use it just like I did in '99:

fernoca

Yellow code from Amazon should arrive in a few hours. Got it "for free" so went with that instead of eShop.

#teamyellow #superiorversion #blueiscool #redsucks

OmegaFax

Missingno still exists, just can't access it through the same glitches as Red/Blue.

Also this.

There's a Lv. 100 Nidoking and Mew that can be caught early on in Pokemon Yellow. Since it's the exact same game outside of recoloring Jynx and the Pikachu surf minigame, it ought to work.

Gen 2 was the last good Pokémon gen.

I kid, I haven't played any after except for the remakes since I outgrew handheld gaming about a year into the GBA when I didn't have to go with my parents everywhere and could stay home. Now I have the expendable income to get back into it.

Same. I didn't play much Pokemon after Gold/Silver. That's probably the point where I outgrew the series. There were a few guys that and myself that bought DS Lite and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl games for a college road trip (how dorky were we?). Lost my cartridge and never finished it. X/Y was when I actually sat down and played a Pokemon game again + AS when that came out.

Anyways, Pokemon Bank support for these VC games is very interesting. It isn't just all the stats ... but eh, gender wasn't a thing until 2nd generation games. Going to wonder if gender is going to be a coin toss or based on catch ratios from Gen VI games unless the species is absolutely male or female or genderless.

Wonder how they're going to handle glitches with Bank. Hopefully they go back and do what Stadium 2 did instead of just saying "This game cannot be used with Pokemon Bank. Fix the issues preventing this."
For reference, Stadium 2 would change glitch Pokemon to Ditto and change all levels over 100 to 100.

jedivulcan said:
Anyways, Pokemon Bank support for these VC games is very interesting. It isn't just all the stats ... but eh, gender wasn't a thing until 2nd generation games. Going to wonder if gender is going to be a coin toss or based on catch ratios from Gen VI games unless the species is absolutely male or female or genderless.
They might just do what Gen 2 did and determine it by the stats. That would be quite interesting if they had the same conversion table ported to Bank and might imply a certain future VC release.

woopWOOP

I vaguely remembered this supposed trick just now where holding a certain button combination during the Pokéball catch animation would always guarantee a catch. Tried googling some info about it and instead get greeted by a site with these totally real schoolground rumours:
Get to the Huge Field Near Palad Town:
Get 20 max repels and enter the powerplant (where you would have got Zapdos). Fight a voltorb and kill him. When youre finished, you have 2 minutes to find a rock that blinks.When you do strength on it, it moves and then you go through the gap, you will end up in the meadow that is near Palad town. There you can catch nearly all the pokemon there.
In order to be able to go to Johto in Red/Blue version, when you get HM01 go to a trainer and lose on purpose (you will lose half of your money but its worth it). Next teach a level 100 Machamp strength and put it with your team of 6 (or 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). Then get all 151 pokemon. Go to the S.S. Anne but do NOT go inside along the short path, go to the left and walk around to the truck. Go to the front of it and push it there will be a hole do NOT go in it. First go back around to Vermillion City, and deposit all of your items. Now go to the hole and jump in (do NOT deposit your items before you push the truck). Now jump in the hole. You will be in JOHTO.
Ahh that takes me back

(I guess the 'always catch' trick is a gameshark code/nonsense too then)

Complistic

I think the bank checks where you've met pokemon at, so if you have a glitched pokemon or one with abilities/stats it can't have, it'll just not allow you to transfer it.

I think the bank checks where you've met pokemon at, so if you have a glitched pokemon or one with abilities/stats it can't have, it'll just not allow you to transfer it.
That check didn't exist until Gen 2 and was unused until Crystal. However, they might be able to block things based on "Was this Magmar caught in Red?" or "Is this Mew caught by anyone else than GF with the ID 22796?"

woopWOOP

I had blue back in the day but I'm leaning towards yellow because it's in colour. Do you get any of the original starters or just pikachu
You start off with Pikachu, all the other three can be gotten quite early (I think?) by talking to a bunch of new NPCs placed in the world.

ohlawd

except for that part where you recommended people play FRLG *throws up* for their first pokeyman experience, nice job OP.

Dishwalla

Banned
You start off with Pikachu, all the other three can be gotten quite early (I think?) by talking to a bunch of new NPCs placed in the world.

You can have all of them after you beat Lt. Surge(Officer Jenny gives you Squirtle as soon as you beat him), as long as your Pikachu's happiness is kept high, the lady that gives away the Bulbsaur looks out for how happy Pikachu is.

SalvaPot

My 3 2DS and 4 refrigerator magnets are on their way to my tenso address...

I think I am going with Yellow, I can't see myself playing this without color.

StoneFox

You can have all of them after you beat Lt. Surge(Officer Jenny gives you Squirtle as soon as you beat him), as long as your Pikachu's happiness is kept high, the lady that gives away the Bulbsaur looks out for how happy Pikachu is.
One good trick I used to do as a kid was to get the potion from the PC at the very start, get Pikachu, immediately use the potion five times on it, beat my rival in the first fight and ta-da! Pikachu instantly loves me <3

fernoca

One good trick I used to do as a kid was to get the potion from the PC at the very start, get Pikachu, immediately use the potion five times on it, beat my rival in the first fight and ta-da! Pikachu instantly loves me <3
Oh!
Going to try this.

Edag88

Banned
For those of you who are getting the bundle, do you know how pre-installed games work on 3DS?

Like, if I transfer all my stuff to the New 3DS, it keeps the Pokemon games, I'm sure.

But then, does it tie it to my NNID so if I ever want to go back to an XL for some reason, I keep the VC games?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Getting Yellow and will use nothing but Ash's S1 team:

Pikachu
Squirtle
Charizard
Pidgeotto
Kingler
Muk

PikaED

For those of you who are getting the bundle, do you know how pre-installed games work on 3DS?

Like, if I transfer all my stuff to the New 3DS, it keeps the Pokemon games, I'm sure.

But then, does it tie it to my NNID so if I ever want to go back to an XL for some reason, I keep the VC games?
After you transfer to the N3DS, you need to redownload Red & Blue off the eShop (They will be in your download history).

I believe once you transfer to a N3DS, you can only transfer between N3DS & N3DS XL systems.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Remember the instruction booklet that came with these? The were like actual Pokemon manuals with Sugimori art. It's a shame they didn't make these available again too.

that's so lame, even the GBC could do it. I guess I'm playing yellow for the first time.

But the black and white had its charms. Idk.

PikaED

So is it then tied to my account where if I transfer back to the XL the games are still mine to use?
If you transfer the games are added to your account. You should be able to transfer to a N3DS XL (You can't go from a N3DS to a standard 3DS, unfortunately)

Edag88

Banned
If you transfer the games are added to your account. You should be able to transfer to a N3DS XL (You can't go from a N3DS to a standard 3DS, unfortunately)

Yeah, as long as I can go from my N3DSXL to the N3DS and maybe back to the N3DSXL eventually, I'm happy.

Oh wow definitely getting yellow then. How do I make sure he is happy enough to get them, can you check its happiness. I'm so excited to play gen 1 again. I never really felt the same thing for latter Gens.

Oh wow definitely getting yellow then. How do I make sure he is happy enough to get them, can you check its happiness. I'm so excited to play gen 1 again. I never really felt the same thing for latter Gens.
You keep him healthy and use him. You can check happiness by interacting with him in the overworld.

Dishwalla

Banned

You can turn and face the Pikachu and "talk" to it. A Pikachu face will pop up and it changes depending on mood.

Top Bottom