• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since most of my best experiences this year have been playing series I've never played before on 3DS, I think I'll go ahead and add Pokemon to my list.

Shengar

New Page so I guess I should reposted it
PokeGAF Spreadsheet Here
How about we add what version we're getting over there? For instance, Minister of the Dog [Y].

Just a thought.
I split it so we can see much clearly how big is the difference between XY user. Well, that just for fun any way :p
But it also to prevent long scrolling so people wouldn't have to do much hassle by it.

Zalman

What is the bottom screen used for in this game? Is it a menu like in HG/SS? Because that game really perfected the menu system.

Insaniac

You can EV train by playing minigames to improve specific stats, instead of battling over and over again. In addition, you can see the current EVs for your pokemon in a chart.

As far as IVs go, they did say that there would be some way for you to access that information, but it sounds like you have to go to a guy who will inspect your Pokemon and tell you the IVs (or tell you a phrase that you can translate into IVs, possibly). Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you can just look at them in the status menu right after you catch a Pokemon, which sucks.

Well thank god you can track your EVs finally, that was the height of tedium

Delio

New Page so I guess I should reposted it
PokeGAF Spreadsheet Here

I split it so we can see much clearly how big is the difference between XY user. Well, that just for fun any way :p
But it also to prevent long scrolling so people wouldn't have to do much hassle by it.

Toss me on Team Y! Whoops im already there nvm haha

Shengar

What is the bottom screen used for in this game? Is it a menu like in HG/SS? Because that game really perfected the menu system.

HGSS have the best menu system IMO. BW(2) is rather well, but couldn't still topped HGSS. I wonder why wouldn't they just keep it there :/

:p

aDOsfvI.png

I don't like this.

Pokemon X and Y is also notably a much easier game than previous Pokemon titles. I can't claim to be the best Pokemon player, and I've always found myself wiping out multiple times in past games. Yet in Pokemon X and Y, I've been wiped out just once in my dozens of hours of play, and most battles I've managed to plough my way through with little resistance.

This all feels mildly disappointing - especially when you mow down gym leader after gym leader with ease. The crux of the issue relates to EXP SHARE: it's no longer a held item, and instead is a bag item that automatically gives experience to all of your party Pokemon during each battle.

Note that it doesn't share experience - it instead gives additional, free experience. This means that all of your Pokemon are constantly levelling-up, and you are always a much higher level than any of your competitors or wild Pokemon.

You can choose to turn EXP SHARE off, but then it just feels like you're missing out on one of the game's features.

Wichu

I don't like this.

Looks like I'm going to be constantly rotating my party then. I tried that in White, but after a while I needed to start grinding Pokémon that hadn't seen battle for a few hours - this takes that pain away.

If you don't just stick with one team of 6 constantly, then I don't think you'll end up overleveled.

Dr. Buni

I will just turn of the exp share. Pokémon games are meant to be played by everyone, not just "hardcores". If you want it to be hard, then not overleveling your team is a good start.

Looks like I'm going to be constantly rotating my party then. I tried that in White, but after a while I needed to start grinding Pokémon that hadn't seen battle for a few hours - this takes that pain away.

If you don't just stick with one team of 6 constantly, then I don't think you'll end up overleveled.
Maybe, but like I said in the review thread, my main point is I don't want to have to use it to avoid grinding and then switch it off so the playing field's even again. That's just asking the player to artificially create their own challenge in the game. It should be the developer's job to challenge the player shouldn't it?

Guess I won't be using EXP SHARE until post game. I honestly don't understand how this is any different from games that allow you to change the difficulty at any time. It's like playing on easy then complaining when you could choose to make it harder

Maybe, but like I said in the review thread, my main point is I don't want to have to use it to avoid grinding and then switch it off so the playing field's even again. That's just asking the player to artificially create their own challenge in the game. It should be the developer's job to challenge the player shouldn't it?

No different than a difficulty setting that you can change at any time

zroid

Banned
Yeah I'll be turning off Exp Share for my regular playthrough. It's just too much. I'll turn it on in the postgame when I'm breeding etc, when it's actually useful to power-level.

In for Team Y and Chespin.

I can't decide on my Kanto starter though... Bulbasaur is my favorite but I already have a Grass type, Squirtle is my second choice but I'm using Clauncher as my Water type, and I'd rather not use Charmander

EDIT: Just realized Clauncher is an X exclusive (X-sclusive?) so problem solved.

Can't wait to jump back in.

I always have a theme in my parties whenever I do a run through.
I had an all ice team once, all fighting once, and I even did a run through with 6 Bidoofs.

Maybe I'll try and use all poison pokemon this time.
Or I could use an all Fairy team in celebration of their addition.

Shengar

I will just turn of the exp share. Pokémon games are meant to be played by everyone, not just "hardcores". If you want it to be hard, then not overleveling your team is a good start.

I hope information sites such as Bulbapedia quickly update their site so I can see the level of the Gym Leaders. It would be annoying if I restraint myself but ended up being overleveled in the end :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Added myself to the spreadsheet! Can't wait to get tradin' and battlin'.

2DS is in the same family as OG and XL.
There is nothing to steal from.
On the opposite it will help 3DS family overall bottomline.
Maybe afoni is getting the 2DS confused with the Nintendo DS. It's an easy mistake, really. Nintendo is so bad at naming hardware lately.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can anyone tell me if I can tranfer pokes from my DS to my 3dsXL? I don't need poke-bank right?

I need Squirtle on my team asap. Needs it.

I wish i could experience pokemon for the first time again... Especially in 3D , your in for a treat.

Yes, this will be an amazing introduction to Pokemon. I'm a little sore over the relative lack of new Pokemon, but reports indicate there'll be a diverse spread of old Pokes to catch as well. Makes it great for someone who isn't familiar with any of them.

UberTag

Team Y: Froakie / Bulbasaur / Torchic / Flabébé / Goomy / Pancham

Will probably ride this assortment but I reserve the right to swap out as circumstances dictate.
Also, no EXP SHARE until post-game to avoid breaking things.

I don't like this.

I don't much care for the idea of the revamped Exp. Share either...on one hand, it's not decreasing the difficulty so much as decreasing the tedium. On the other, you're missing out on the unique experience that is training a Pokemon. Say you have a Magikarp in your party with Exp. Share turned on. You're missing out on the quintessential Magikarp experience if you can level it up without having to be stuck with Splash and Tackle for 25 levels. It just feels...wrong. You can have a tough Pokemon in your party without ever having actually trained it. This strikes me as an "easy mode" feature to me and I won't be enabling it until postgame.

That's not to say that I think it'll make the game "too easy". Pokemon games are always easy if you have even the slightest bit of experience. I haven't been wiped out by a normal trainer since R/B/Y and I don't plan on starting now. I never run into any meaningful difficulty in Pokemon games until reaching the Battle Frontier-style areas and battles against other humans.

As an aside, I wonder how Exp. Share will share EVs this time around?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Never had difficulty with Pokemon so difficulty never really bothered me, and I will be turning off EXP Share.

I'm more wondering if Lucky Egg is early.

962.gif

Welp... looks like I have to wait a few days until people here have caught/transferred all the pokes I want on my team so I can get them and then breed 'em. *sigh*
You can transfer them during the free trial.

Trey

I don't much care for the idea of the revamped Exp. Share either...on one hand, it's not decreasing the difficulty so much as decreasing the tedium. On the other, you're missing out on the unique experience that is training a Pokemon. Say you have a Magikarp in your party with Exp. Share turned on. You're missing out on the quintessential Magikarp experience if you can level it up without having to be stuck with Splash and Tackle for 25 levels. It just feels...wrong. You can have a tough Pokemon in your party without ever having actually trained it. This strikes me as an "easy mode" feature to me and I won't be enabling it until postgame.

That's not to say that I think it'll make the game "too easy". Pokemon games are always easy if you have even the slightest bit of experience. I haven't been wiped out by a normal trainer since R/B/Y and I don't plan on starting now. I never run into any meaningful difficulty in Pokemon games until reaching the Battle Frontier-style areas and battles against other humans.

As an aside, I wonder how Exp. Share will share EVs this time around?

lol, fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom