• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

It'll be either 5-4 against the mandate or 6-3 for the mandate. I'm leaning slightly towards 6-3 for the mandate. Ginsberg earlier comments, though, makes me think it could easily be 5-4 against the mandate. If they strike down the mandate, I don't think they'll touch the rest of the law. Throwing out the law completely, I think, isn't even an option. Such a move would be too political and extreme for Roberts and Kennedy (or at least one of those two).

Chumly

It'll be either 5-4 against the mandate or 6-3 for the mandate. I'm leaning slightly towards 6-3 for the mandate. Ginsberg earlier comments, though, makes me think it could easily be 5-4 against the mandate. If they strike down the mandate, I don't think they'll touch the rest of the law. Throwing out the law completely, I think, isn't even an option. Such a move would be too political and extreme for Roberts and Kennedy (or at least one of those two).

Leaning towards this. Throwing out the law entirely I think would be forever known as judicial overreach on their part and I cant see Roberts and Kennedy going with that.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
6-3, upheld. Thomas, Alito, Scalia dissenting.

Roberts writes the majority opinion and uses the same argument he used in the the 1070 decision, deferring to the Congress and declaring healthcare an obviously interstate issue.

I'm not optimistic, but I've talked myself into it.

Chumly

Roberts writes the majority opinion and uses the same argument he used in the the 1070 decision, deferring to the Congress and declaring healthcare an obviously interstate issue.

With Scalia writing a comical scathing dissenting opinion! Heres to hoping!

Sincerely hoping it's this because I'm all kinds of fucked if it's 5-4.

I think Roberts does care about his legacy to some degree. He'll always be conservative, but I read that he was upset with the reaction to Citizens United and wanted to avoid 5-4s on big issues wherever possible.

6-3 upheld. Mandate might get tossed out, but it might not be. It's not like the Court hasn't limited rulings to just one issue before (Bush v. Gore - "Don't worry guys, this only applies to THIS election! Don't use it as precedence, especially if it means a Democrat might win!")

Here's my proof: http://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-health-care-predictions-2012-6

ezekial45

Banned
So is there an exact time when this will be announced? I have jury duty in the morning and I probably won't be able to read up on it till sometime after it's done with.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
There's no business interest that directly benefit from a single payer.
And generally,
I disagree, I think many of the largest employers of labor in the US would directly benefit. Walmart, retail, car manufacturers etc. etc. a huge burden is lifted by simply not having to deal with the implementation of employee care, even if it cost the business and the employee the same or more. (Though the savvy of them would fear the increased leverage and bargaining power of employees)

Now the real sticking point is that none of these business would actively support or campaign for such changes. Not that they would not benefit from them.

I'll drop this off before all talk of healthcare washes it away:

Generic ballot polls said:
Colorado: D 47% – R 40%
Iowa: D 44% – R 39%
Maine: D 51% – R 37%
Michigan: D 50% – R 35%
Minnesota: D 48% – R 36%
New Hampshire: D 47% – R 41%
New York: D 54% – R 37%
North Carolina: D 46% – R 41%
Pennsylvania: D 47% – R 42%
Wisconsin: D 48% – R 41%
I think Democrats are a lock for taking back the Colorado (they're only short 1 seat), Maine and Minnesota legislatures, and probably New Hampshire as well (it has a gajillion tiny districts so it swings heavily every other year). NY is no big surprise but the Republicans do have the State Senate and gerrymandered it as much as they possibly could, but Democrats could take it back.

I believe Pennsylvania got a nonpartisan gerrymander for the state legislatures, so Democrats might be able to win back the State Senate. It was gerrymandered to a point that in both 2008 and 2010, Democrats held 20 seats and Republicans 30 post-election.

And of course, this also bodes well for the congressional elections as well, the margins for generic congressional and generic legislative tend to run pretty close together.

Averon

I'll drop this off before all talk of healthcare washes it away:

I think Democrats are a lock for taking back the Colorado (they're only short 1 seat), Maine and Minnesota legislatures, and probably New Hampshire as well (it has a gajillion tiny districts so it swings heavily every other year). NY is no big surprise but the Republicans do have the State Senate and gerrymandered it as much as they possibly could, but Democrats could take it back.

I believe Pennsylvania got a nonpartisan gerrymander for the state legislatures, so Democrats might be able to win back the State Senate. It was gerrymandered to a point that in both 2008 and 2010, Democrats held 20 seats and Republicans 30 post-election.

And of course, this also bodes well for the congressional elections as well, the margins for generic congressional and generic legislative tend to run pretty close together.

To continue to optimism train, Nate Silver has updated his Presidential race numbers today and has Obama winning re-election at 65%, and the current EC vote as 292 Obama to 245 Romney.

Chichikov

I disagree, I think many of the largest employers of labor in the US would directly benefit. Walmart, retail, car manufacturers etc. etc. a huge burden is lifted by simply not having to deal with the implementation of employee care, even if it cost the business and the employee the same or more. (Though the savvy of them would fear the increased leverage and bargaining power of employees)

Now the real sticking point is that none of these business would actively support or campaign for such changes. Not that they would not benefit from them.
That coverage will have to come from taxes*, most likely through payroll taxes (no, payroll taxes don't make sense, but whatever, I don't see anything else being politically viable).
Now I don't know Walmart's healthcare expenses, and I obviously don't know exactly how much medicare for all is going cost, but I don't see them saving money.
And yeah, some companies with better benefits than Walmart might see some saving, but I don't think it's enough for them to put out their political neck on such contentious issue.

* or as empty vessel would say - to avoid inflationary pressure, a certain amount of money, proportional to the cost of the program, will be destroyed through taxes. Just trying to save us time.

Mike M

Nick N
I've already resigned myself to a 5-4 decision tossing the mandate. I'd love to see a 6-3 upheld verdict, if only for the meltdowns. My only regret is that they'd be too numerous for me to read them all.

But it won't happen : /

That coverage will have to come from taxes*, most likely through payroll taxes (no, payroll taxes don't make sense, but whatever, I don't see anything else being politically viable).
Now I don't know Walmart's healthcare expenses, and I obviously don't know exactly how much medicare for all is going cost, but I don't see them saving money.
And yeah, some companies with better benefits than Walmart might see some saving, but I don't think it's enough for them to put out their political neck on such contentious issue.

* or as empty vessel would say - to avoid inflationary pressure, a certain amount of money, proportional to the cost of the program, will be destroyed through taxes. Just trying to save us time.

Hey, that's what I like to see. I'll change the way we talk about these things or die trying. Although the reality is that the government can spend a lot more than it presently does without inducing inflation (which is the very reason why the economy sucks). So we actually are in a position to have a bit of a "free lunch," so to speak. But only so much. There does come a point at which additional spending would require additional taxation (to make "fiscal space"), but we are well below it. Whenever involuntary unemployment exists, it means the government is not spending enough money. When a lot of unemployment exists, it means the government is starving us of money and can spend a lot. There is nothing "natural" about the so-called natural unemployment rate, either. So even in "normal" economic times, there is a lot of unused fiscal space.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm kinda surprised the business community hasn't told the Republicans to enact single payer already. One would think he costs they would be saving by not providing employees with health care would be pretty motivational.

I'm kinda surprised the business community hasn't told the Republicans to enact single payer already. One would think he costs they would be saving by not providing employees with health care would be pretty motivational.

Universal health care provided by the government increases labor bargaining power a fairly substantial amount. Which means it eats into profits and executive pay. Corporate management is happy to sacrifice economic optimization of the society for increased personal compensation.

It's because they *think* it's still worth it to decrease employee mobility.

edit: what ev said.

Chichikov

Businesses usually lobby through advocacy groups which tend to focus on their core issues, and big enough corporations to have a sizable lobbying footprint tend to stay away from such touchy (and boycott-y) subjects.
The only big general business lobbying outfit I can think of is the Untied States Chamber of Commerce, and they're pretty much an arm of the GOP.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
From the department of optics and the office of you-can't-make-this-up:

1. Romney (finally) pushes back on Bain attacks; Releases Video Featuring former VP of GST (to push back the idea of Bain pioneering outsourcing, Romney's team brings in an executive that was one of the people that bought them out with Bain!) LOL -- gotta love these terrible LinkedIn profiles written in the third person:

"Following his graduation from Allegheny College with a BA in Economics, B.C. received his Naval Officer's commission and completed his service upon returning from Viet Nam in 1970. For the next twenty-eight years, B.C. worked at ARMCO Steel Corporation ending his career as VP Human and Business Systems at ARMCO Worldwide Grinding Systems, a business unit he and others purchased as part of a MBO with Bain Capital. B.C. launched his initial consulting business in 1998."

2. Romney Bashes Obama On Jobs At Firm That Does Offshoring Work -

On its Global Solutions page, the company offers customers access to a partner’s manufacturing facilities in “in low cost regions in Romania, Hungary, Tunisia and China.”

For the speech in Wednesday, Romney stood in front of a huge banner reading “Putting Jobs First” and focused on what he called President Obama’s failures to create jobs for middle-class Americans.

romneynotgivinafux.png

I'm also leaning towards 6-3. But I have to admit, I won't really be all that heart broken if its stuck down. It is, after all, a republican healthcare plan, just passed by the Democrats. I'm kind of looking forward to the day when, a few years from now, Republicans realized they fucked themselves in a big, bad way by getting the SCROTUS to declare their alternative to universal healthcare unconstitutional.

I'm also leaning towards 6-3. But I have to admit, I won't really be all that heart broken if its stuck down. It is, after all, a republican healthcare plan, just passed by the Democrats. I'm kind of looking forward to the day when, a few years from now, Republicans realized they fucked themselves in a big, bad way by getting the SCROTUS to declare their alternative to universal healthcare unconstitutional.

There is truth in this. Obamacare may turn out to have been the best hope of staving off a genuinely universal health care system for a good while. On the other hand, maybe the US will just remain in the dark ages for a long time to come. Hard to tell right now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dropping the whole law would set in motion a series of events... I have no idea what would happen.

Diablos

I'm gonna say 5-4 striking down the mandate.

I truly admire the optimism shown by so many of the core PoliGAF contributors, but I just can't see the entire law being upheld. When you're to the point where a website tracking facial expressions is helping you remain hopeful, that's just not good no matter how you try to spin it.

60% confident in seeing a 6/3 decision here. Possibly removing the verbiage of mandate but keeping the penalty in, or possibly limiting the mandate to health care.

The idea that a decision against it will lead to a meaningfull movement towards single payer or another UHC scheme is hogwash.

Impact on the campaign will be negligible either way. This is just going to generate enthusiasm /raise the stakes for both sides. No matter the decision.

Diablos

Yeah, Nelson is a master troll.

Unless by 'paving the way for single payer' he means in another 10-15 years when another huge Democratic wave may come through, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom