• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miletius

I may go vote in the Missouri primary in the morning just to see who shows up. Last time I voted though it was in a church that basically had a "if you hate god, vote democrat" sign in front of it.

Miletius

Honestly, I'm inclined to not believe you :p

SJJW2.jpg

There ya go. That was in 2010, right after I moved here.

Miletius

Abortion is so tricky.

It certainly is, but it's probably not a great idea to have this as your frontboard while you are serving as a polling station. It certainly wasn't the greatest introduction to the Missouri electoral process for me. Still though, I mostly laughed it off (as probably did most people) because while it's kind of annoying it's not worth getting super worked up over.

Mind you this was in St. Louis (right outside of the city proper) so I really didn't expect to see it when I came to vote. If it had been a rural county then maybe I would have come in expecting it.

Amir0x

Banned
haha Fox News is so transparent that the AP apparently think it is news when it disagrees with a Republican candidate on an even the tiniest issue

First they dared to disagree with Romney. NOW Newt Gingrich!? That's, like, minus 2 GOP dicks being sucked out of 50,000!

It's hilarious because this is basically the disagreement that Associated Press though was newsworthy, because of how biased Fox News always is:

Gingrich, who was on Fox's payroll as an analyst before running for president, said recently that if he was the GOP nominee, he wouldn't agree to a debate with President Barack Obama if a journalist was the moderator.

"I don't think that would work," said Baier, who has moderated five GOP debates this election cycle. "I don't think it would be too enjoyable to watch."

Yes. What a hardline disagreement.

This also made me lol:

Baier's not-so-tender moment with Romney came during a Nov. 30 interview. In a style he admired in the late Tim Russert, Baier confronted Romney with some quotes from the past that appeared to contradict what the candidate had been saying during the campaign. He asked: "How can voters trust that what they hear from you today is what you will believe when you're in the White House?"

Off-air later, Romney told Baier that he thought the interview was overly aggressive and that he didn't like it.

Romney's unhappiness was evident on the air, too. The unspoken subtext seemed to be: I thought Fox would be a friendlier venue than this.

Fox News: Fair and Balanced confirmed.

GhaleonEB

PPP just tweeted this:

Missouri is Santorum 45, Romney 32, Paul 19

If Santorum wins, that will be his second state won, compared to one for Newt. lawl

Santorum is also leading in Minnesota. If he wins both and manages to come in second in Colorado, I really don't see any reason for Gingrich to stay in the race. Especially with his big donor flirting with Romney.

It looks like all of Newt's supporters went straight to Santorum. Which might explain why I saw a headline early today about how Newt is targeting Santorum rather than Romney now.

Doesnt make sense, if newt wants to beat romney for real, hell do it even if it means being rickys vice.

Tomorrow, we have
Colorado Caucus
Minnesota Caucus

Where the polls at...?

Missouri is non-binding.

Then it's

Feb 11
Maine Caucus

Miletius

Missouri is holding a non-binding primary, though. So this is really a beauty contest, with "momentum" being the prize. I don't even think Romney has bothered to campaign here, and if so, it hasn't been much.

We hold caucuses to choose our real delegates in March.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Tamanon, sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, either. I quoted the wrong person. :)

Re: Missouri, only a loser would actually proactively campaign there. There are no delegates awarded and it is actually just a big money hole for the state party and government. Way to go, GOP! Romney has nothing to gain by winning there, so he hasn't really done anything.

He will probably win the states that actually matter. Newt is falling by the wayside.

Minnesota is interesting, though. Santorum is carving out a niche, despite Pawlenty pushing hard for Romney. I guess the crazy wing of MN is bigger than I thought.

It's amazing how poor the GOP has run their primaries, with the most recent example being the disastrous Nevada caucus where barely anyone showed up. I guess the party leaders figured the field would be pretty impressive for 2012, including Palin and some other allstars, hence the decision to make it mirror a democrat primary season in terms of proportional delegates.

...yea, that didn't work out. All this is going to do is continue to weaken Romney

GManDH

Can anyone explain the new SOPA and PIPA acts, and why the U.S.A has become obsessed in passing something similar to the ACTA?

Chichikov

I'm certain wikipedia has great entries on SOPA and PIPA (so certain, that I'm not even going to check).
As to the US's obsession, it's the music labels and movie studios' obsession, as they see their business model becoming obsolete.
And they paid lots and lots of money to congress so it gets really worried about that shit.

PPP has Romney up in Colorado (37 for Romney, 27 for Santorum), and Santorum up in Minnesota (33 for Santorum, 24 for Romney).

Missouri doesn't matter because no delegates are awarded by the primary, there'll be a caucus later.

I may go vote in the Missouri primary in the morning just to see who shows up. Last time I voted though it was in a church that basically had a "if you hate god, vote democrat" sign in front of it.

My local vote place is a church and I'd wager that the vast majority vote Dem. Of course, I live in Silicon Valley.

Please take a picture of the sign that gives you that impression.

Edit: Beat . . . . WTF at that sign! That should be illegal! Man . . . those southern Lutheran churches are sure different than the ones in Minnesota.

Minnesota is interesting, though. Santorum is carving out a niche, despite Pawlenty pushing hard for Romney. I guess the crazy wing of MN is bigger than I thought.

Minnesota is mostly Dem so perhaps the remaining GOPers are the hardcore crazy types that help get people like Bachmann elected.

ToxicAdam

Romney switching focus to Santorum.

"Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R), a top Romney surrogate, will attack Santorum by way of a noon conference call for his history of supporting earmarks... The campaign also emailed 'a summary of Santorum's false attacks on Massachusetts healthcare' that provides a laundry list of nonpartisan fact-checking websites' analysis on some of Santorum's statements."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-presidential-primary/208799-romney-pivots-to-santorum

Minnesota is mostly Dem so perhaps the remaining GOPers are the hardcore crazy types that help get people like Bachmann elected.
Pretty much. Bachmann's district kind of culminates all the backwoods folks whose voting records boil down to pretty much God, guns, and the gays.

Which is why it annoys me whenever people hold up Bachmann and act like Minnesota is crazy for voting her in. Almost every mid-sized state has at least one (unless they're crazy gerrymandered like Massachusetts). Plus it ignores Wellstone, Klobuchar, Dayton, Franken, Ellison, etc. and even the Republicans who get elected statewide (Carlson, Coleman, Pawlenty) are nowhere near as batty as Bachmann.

Santorum is also leading in Minnesota. If he wins both and manages to come in second in Colorado, I really don't see any reason for Gingrich to stay in the race. Especially with his big donor flirting with Romney.

It's all a part of the plan.

Newt isn't going to get any decent election results until March. But if Santorum can muddle Mitten's win and delegate count in the interim in a few states, then it will be easier for Newt to catch up when the primaries return to the South.

The proportional delegates is really going to bite Romney in the ass. McCain in '08 was able to pull away from the rest of the field pretty quickly because it was winner-take-all. However now Romney and his Super Pacs are going to have to expend a lot of treasure to get a strong majority of delegates even with this weak field.

ToxicAdam

images

It was early November when tensions between Keith Olbermann and Al Gore escalated into a crisis at Current TV. There had been a short honeymoon after Gore, the channel’s co-owner, had handed the notoriously temperamental anchor a reported $10 million salary and equity stake in February of last year, but the relationship soured quickly. Now, just five months after Olbermann’s show Countdown had resurfaced on Current, it looked as if he might walk away.

Accustomed to the flashy graphics and slick broadcasts of MSNBC, Olbermann balked at the cheap sets and lo-fi production values at the scrappy Current. Ensconced in his New York office, the star ignored emails from the network’s West Coast executives
. He wanted them to invest more on the technical side, and he wanted more authority in other areas of the network, including personnel decisions. He was also upset about his car service. Gore and his partners had shelled out for a star; now, it seemed, the star owned them.

By November, network executives were exhausted by his antics, according to a source familiar with the inner workings of Current. Olbermann was implacable. Executives feared an ugly, public fight.

But perhaps the largest gamble is Olbermann himself. Unafraid of conflict on the air, or off, the anchor has a legendary temper. He was caustic and persnickety, former colleagues say. One news report holds that staffers at MSNBC had to communicate with him through a mailbox outside his office.

That reputation has continued at Current TV. Gore and Hyatt managed to placate Olbermann enough in November to prevent him from leaving, but theirs is hardly a close working relationship. Following that episode, the anchor failed to respond to emails from others at the network about plans to cover the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary, according to a network source, and so Bohrman was forced to plan around him. (The New York Times reported on the conflict, and a slew of gleeful Olbermann bashing followed: Gawker put out a call for horror stories from the anchor’s former colleagues and employees; CNN’s Piers Morgan mocked him openly; and MSNBC president Phil Griffin, who gave a smirking speech at his company’s Christmas party about how the network’s strong ratings had survived Olbermann’s departure, could barely contain his enthusiasm, according to a source.) When the coverage of Iowa and New Hampshire did air, it featured Uygur and Granholm anchoring alongside Gore himself.

The bickering, bartering, and flattery culminated in early January with lawyers from Current meeting with Olbermann to negotiate an uneasy peace. Asked about the anchor, who could earn up to $100 million from the network in salary and compensation over the length of his contract, Bohrman says, “I don’t think we’re going to talk about my interactions with Keith ... The one thing that I know instinctively is that Keith should be Keith. There’s no one at Current that’s ever gonna tell him what to say or what to do.”

With the situation at least momentarily under control—Olbermann was calm, thoughtful, and at times even lighthearted while covering the South Carolina primary—Gore and Hyatt just might tiptoe their way to a viable television network without disturbing their only star.

Gore, ever politic, presses on. “Keith is fulfilling exactly the role that I had hoped for,” he told Newsweek in an email interview.

Others are less hopeful.

“They’re relying on a time bomb to define themselves,” says one insider. “No matter how carefully you work to defuse it, it will go off

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...mann-the-last-hope-for-gore-s-current-tv.html

Buried in that article was the fact that Current TV collect 100+ million a year in cable fees. For a network nobody watches.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I've always liked Olbermann and have defended him in the past, but once he moved to Current, I literally only saw half of one episode, and never bothered watching it again. Really odd since I made an effort never to miss an episode when he was on MSNBC.

Averon

Are the GOP really dumb enough to go after Medicare in an election year? Apparently so!

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...-about-to-commit-medicare-suicide.php?ref=fpa

Are Republicans About To Commit Medicare Suicide?

It’s shaping up to be spring 2011 redux. Just under a year ago, Republicans — euphoric after a midterm election landslide, and overzealous in their interpretation of their mandate — passed a budget that called for phasing out Medicare over the coming years and replacing it with a subsidized private insurance system for newly eligible seniors.

The backlash was ugly. But Republicans seem to have forgotten how poisonous that vote really was, and remains…because they’re poised to do it again. This time they’re signaling they’ll move ahead, with a modified plan — one that, though less radical, would still fundamentally remake and roll back one of the country’s most popular and enduring safety net programs.

Miletius

Tamanon, sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, either. I quoted the wrong person. :)

Re: Missouri, only a loser would actually proactively campaign there. There are no delegates awarded and it is actually just a big money hole for the state party and government. Way to go, GOP! Romney has nothing to gain by winning there, so he hasn't really done anything.

He will probably win the states that actually matter. Newt is falling by the wayside.

I think the estimated cost is 7 million for a non-binding primary where less than 5 percent are expected to show. Of course the state govt. is trying to spin it differently.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Buried in that article was the fact that Current TV collect 100+ million a year in cable fees. For a network nobody watches.

Is that a good number? How much do the other news networks get?

Tim-E

images

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...mann-the-last-hope-for-gore-s-current-tv.html

I used to be able to watch his show on MSNBC, but he's So much more difficult to watch on Current now. Honestly, I'd probably rather watch Ed Schultz over Olbermann now. With Schultz's nightly poll that ask the audience things like "Do the republicans want your grandmother to die a slow, painful death on national television? Text 1 for yes and 2 for maybe!!!" he is probably less grating than Olbermann is now.

I don't mind watching Maddow and O'Donnell, but those two just get to me no matter how liberal I am.

I don't know, what does that have to do with anything?

We need to see if the number of viewers is proportionate to the douche index of the talking heads on each network, and compare that to the cable fees to get cable fee to douche index ratio.

Current: 0 viewers / 100+ million * 10 douche index
Fox News: lots of viewers / ??? million * 1 douche index (Hannity is good for at least 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom