• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How is it possible for a candidate to sweep in and take the nomination at a brokered convention?

Incredibly low poll numbers of existing candidates, high poll numbers of a newcomer.
It would still be incredibly ugly.

Tim-E

Incredibly low poll numbers of existing candidates, high poll numbers of a newcomer.
It would still be incredibly ugly.

Ugly, yes, but it would likely be followed by a week of me laughing my ass off.

Thanks for the responses, dudes. I normally would've hit up google, but my new routine of 4 hours of sleep per night thanks to a newborn is starting to show.

Evicerating welfare?
We're not supposed to talk about that!

How is it possible for a candidate to sweep in and take the nomination at a brokered convention?
I don't think it's a possibility worth being overly concerned about.

Thanks for the responses, dudes. I normally would've hit up google, but my new routine of 4 hours of sleep per night thanks to a newborn is starting to show.
Congratulations, and why so long?

what?? this happens??

I may have made a terrible mistake

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
No, but the point Maddow (and Sullivan and Marshall, I think) makes is salient: if Romeny loses Michigan -- or only barely wins it, and Santorum draws this out, the result is an increasingly less attractive candidate. Santorum being the joke that he is, not destroying him in a single bound makes (or will make) Romney like a fucking joke. It's demeaning to someone that supposedly wants to be President.

Personally, and everyone around here knows this, it doesn't matter who the GOP nominates (barring catastrophe 9/11 or greater), Obama wins by 10 points. But seriously, Romney is far, far weaker than I ever imagined. I feel bad for PD.

Measley

You talk about greatest presidents and don't mention the guy who was willing to let go of one of his party's biggest electoral advantages just to get important legislation through.

I definitely give LBJ his due. Unfortunately, his escalation of Vietnam drags down his stature by quite a bit. It didn't help that the country was a social mess when he left office which allowed the country to swing back towards conservative power via Nixon in 1968.

However, the lasting legacy of the Civil Rights Act and Medicare is pretty huge, and its impact is still being felt today.

LBJ is definitely in my top ten, but Vietnam and him "giving up" instead of fighting for the society he created keeps him out of my top five.

Diablos

If Santorum gets the nom, holy shit.

He won't even win here in PA. Bob Casey beat him by a margin larger than any other Seante race in state history, 17.3% or 708,206 votes. And while Casey is a good guy, and 2006 was a great year for Democrats in general, he's your stereotypical spineless Democrat. Yet even he could beat Santorum by an incredibly large margin by PA standards.

I don't think Mittens has this locked up anymore. I am feeling much better about Obama's chances now that Santorum looks like he might be getting it. He won't have any appeal to young people, minorities, or women. Moderates won't care much for him either. They certainly don't here, and outside of the southern US, PA has to be a de facto state for analyzing voting habits of swing voters, because this state is pretty centrist. Corbett is a mistake and so is the state legislature being dominated by the GOP; he'll most likely get his clock cleaned in 2014.

Averon

A choice between someone who's become a Gordon Gekko caricature who is also having his entire campaign message--Economy bad! Vote for me!-- blowing up in his face or someone who's a religious nut who will bleed women support in the general. If the GOP wasn't so shitty I'd almost feel sorry for them.

But seriously, Romney is far, far weaker than I ever imagined. I feel bad for PD.

The lackluster and batshit crazy GOP field made Romney look stronger than he really was.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

There is also the classic definition:
"A brokered convention is a situation in United States politics in which there are not enough delegates 'won' during the presidential primary and caucus elections for a single candidate to have a pre-existing majority, during the first official vote for a political party's presidential candidate at its nominating convention."

I was refering to: "Although the term "brokered convention" is sometimes used to refer to a convention where the outcome is decided by superdelegate votes rather than pledged delegates alone, this is not the original sense of the term. Like a brokered convention, the potentially decisive role played by superdelegates can often go against the popular vote from the primaries and caucuses."

If the flip flopping of states continues, then the first is almost a certainty and would be ugly, the second would be very ugly.

Measley

A choice between someone who's become a Gordon Gekko caricature who is also having his entire campaign message--Economy bad! Vote for me!-- blowing up in his face or someone who's a religious nut who will bleed women support in the general. If the GOP wasn't so shitty I'd almost feel sorry for them.

Listen to douche-bags like Sean Hannity and you won't feel sorry for them at all.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I. Lincoln, FDR, Washington
II. Teddy, Jefferson
III. Truman, Wilson, Obama <--
IV. Clinton, Eisenhower, Jackson
V. Kennedy

GWB is and should remain near the bottom, near Nixon. Reagan is in the middle.

The fact that people consider Reagan to be some economic savior is baffling to me. There is nothing to indicate that low taxes for the wealthy correlates with low unemployment, yet people still buy into this garbage.

It is merely wishful thinking. Who wouldn't want to believe that paying less in taxes would create more jobs? I'd love to believe it but reality is more important.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
“He’d lose 35 states,” the senator said, predicting the same fate for Newt Gingrich.

It would have to be somebody else, the senator said. Who?

“Jeb Bush,” the former Florida governor.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, he was serious?

Is the GOP really that dumb to think Americans want ANY Bush in the White House again? I have to imagine that name is tarnished for a decade or more. He'd have no shot.

At least the Senator admits that Santorum would lose 35 states. I think it would be worse.

Suikoguy

While, I agree Jeb was/is better then Rick Scott, what he did to the Florida Education system was sad.

Edit: Now that I think about it, he is now more moderate on average then I think the entire GOP field.... *sigh*

I don't think Mittens has this locked up anymore. I am feeling much better about Obama's chances now that Santorum looks like he might be getting it. He won't have any appeal to young people, minorities, or women..

Not only that, but he'll draw young people to the polls. Come & make sure the anti-gay guy who wants to take away your birth control doesn't get into office!

Not only that, but he'll draw young people to the polls. Come & make sure the anti-gay guy who wants to take away your birth control doesn't get into office!
Something that concerns me a little bit is that Rick Santorum is so heavily, thoroughly identified with religious conservatism that it's going to be somewhat difficult to attack him without feeding the "Obama attack on religion" meme. I don't think it's an insurmountable difficulty, but it might present something of a challenge.

cousins

I. Lincoln, FDR, Washington
II. Teddy, Jefferson
III. Truman, Wilson, Obama <--
IV. Clinton, Eisenhower, Jackson
V. Kennedy

GWB is and should remain near the bottom, near Nixon. Reagan is in the middle.

Are you serious? Nixon created the EPA, strengthened US ties with China, and started the U.S. policy of Self-Determination. He signed into law the ANCSA and the ISDEAA. In plenty of aspects he was a scumbag, but on the level of GWB? Come on now.

While, I agree Jeb was/is better then Rick Scott, what he did to the Florida Education system was sad.

Edit: Now that I think about it, he is now more moderate on average then I think the entire GOP field.... *sigh*

republican governors have a habit of fucking education systems. You should see what Corbett is doing in PA

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
We knew this, I think, but Pat Buchanan is out at MSNBC:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...out_at_msnbc_im_blackliste.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

He's clearly an old racist a-hole, but he and Chris Matthews had some fantastic chemistry. Matthews, somehow, steered him away from comments like those in his book.

While we're on MSNBC, let me point out that they're putting together an extremely bright group of youngish punditry: Rachel Maddow, Chris Hayes, Alex Wagner, and now Melissa Harris-Perry. I called for the latter three to all get their own shows some time last year, if you guys recall.

Hoping that Hayes/Wagner/MHP aren't buried in terrible time slots and eventually replace the terrible shows of Ed Schultz and Al Sharpton. Preferred prime-time lineup:

(CST)
5:00 - Alex Wagner
6:00 - Chris Matthews
7:00 - Chris Hayes
8:00 - Rachel Maddow
9:00 - Lawrence O'Donnell
10:00 - Melissa Harris-Perry

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The fact that Obama is the first colored president and hasn't fucked up AND led us during the Great Recession is reason enough to have him be remembered favorably.

I know this sounds shitty but I totally agree with you. I don't think your post is superficial at all like some people might. And he took out Bin Laden and helped oust Quadaffi and Mubarak.

Jackson50

Clinton has to be seen as one of the greatest 'free trade' presidents of all-time. NAFTA (also, the mexican bailouts) plus the unprecedented strengthening of ties with China. According to him, during his run he signed 200 trade agreements.
True. He presided over the conclusions of the Uruguay Round and NAFTA. He had a remarkable record on liberalized trade. Although, I fault him for contributing to the wildly exaggerated benefits of trade.

We knew this, I think, but Pat Buchanan is out at MSNBC:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...out_at_msnbc_im_blackliste.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

He's clearly an old racist a-hole, but he and Chris Matthews had some fantastic chemistry. Matthews, somehow, steered him away from comments like those in his book.

While we're on MSNBC, let me point out that they're putting together an extremely bright group of youngish punditry: Rachel Maddow, Chris Hayes, Alex Wagner, and now Melissa Harris-Perry. I called for the latter three to all get their own shows some time last year, if you guys recall.

Hoping that Hayes/Wagner/MHP aren't buried in terrible time slots and eventually replace the terrible shows of Ed Schultz and Al Sharpton. Preferred prime-time lineup:

(CST)
5:00 - Alex Wagner
6:00 - Chris Matthews
7:00 - Chris Hayes
8:00 - Rachel Maddow
9:00 - Lawrence O'Donnell
10:00 - Melissa Harris-Perry
Chris Hayes is on on weekends now. I would watch his show if I was ever home/awake that early. Bitches need to podcast.

MHP is still godawful in front of a prompter.

Also, I think the figures were posted at some point when you were banned/missing, but Sharpton and Schultz have the highest ratings of anyone on the network, so they're not going anywhere.

I think the general theme of Obama's presidency has been "Screw up, backpedal, watch opponents mis-step, recover effectively and get what you want." In the debt ceiling debate he didn't get that mis-step recovery point, but on most other matters it's worked out.

Historically, so much of it comes down to "Can obama get a second term?" If Obama gets a second term, and a period with the house and senate both in dem hands he'll be in position to cement some really important things in place. If he loses, and dems lose the senate then things will get undone, and he'll only really have left a mark in FP (both for better and for worse), and a few legislative accomplishments that will last (DODA repeal, not sure what else survives republican legislature).

He wins, he'll be considered great, he loses he'll be somewhere around jimmy carter's level.

fox-chevy-volt.png

No Fox, it was GE not GM that is buying volts. General Electric . . . a company that makes a lot of money selling, you know, electricity generation and transmission equipment. Isn't it a perfectly rational business decision for them to prefer electric cars?

Oh that's right . . . just another reason to cook up a bogus story to hate on the Volt.

We'll give the intrepid personalities over at Fox News a bit of credit for catching themselves mid-mistake, but just take a look at this: While discussing news that GE (note that last letter, please) is buying a fleet of Chevrolet Volt hatchbacks, one of our Foxy friends (Juliet Huddy) said, "All GM employees who get a company car, well, they really don't get a choice. They're going to get a $40,000 electric car." Yes, for a few seconds, the atmosphere was awful: Just look at this pathetic car company that is forcing its own employees to buy its cars. Except, of course, that's exactly wrong. Thankfully, the hosts catch themselves, even though they then continue to bash the Volt. Also, it wasn't just a mess-up by Huddy, since the on-screen chyron clearly says "GM workers forced into Volts."
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/02/17/fox-news-hates-on-gm-for-forcing-employees-into-volt-wait-what/

Chris Matthews does put up a 10 minute segment from his show everyday for podcast. Go here:
http://podcast.msnbc.com
and click on 'show more text'.

Lawrence O'Donnell is the bitch that needs to put up a podcast.
Goddamnit, I meant Chris Hayes.

http://upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn.com/ I've always enjoyed what I've seen of his analysis. He's not so great in front of a prompter either, though. I don't really make the effort to follow much of what Chris Matthews says; it's seems like most of the time he's more noise than signal.

Bo-Locks

Narrowing of the American mind?

An opinion piece from the BBC North America editor:

MSNBC, a cable news channel with a leftish slant has parted company with Pat Buchanan, the veteran conservative who ran for president in 2000 on a third party ticket and tried for the Republican nomination twice before that.

He had been a commentator on MSNBC for a decade.

The channel says he has been fired because of views expressed in his book, Suicide of a Super Power, which contains chapters on "The End of White America" and "The Death of Christian America".

On his blog, Pat Buchanan says he has fallen victim to blacklisters. He says he does think homosexuality is unnatural, but implicitly denies he is racist.

I haven't read the book, but judging from extracts it is easy to see how his pungently expressed anti-multiculturalism could be seen as racist.

But I do know the sort of views he is expressing are shared by many American conservatives who think their culture is under attack (just look at the comments on his blog, if you don't believe me).

It probably isn't good for democracy if these people feel their views can't be expressed in public.

But this isn't really about censorship or about fear on the right of a huge liberal conspiracy in the media.

Conservative views that seem very far to the right by British standards are all over the place - from blogs, to right-wing talk radio, and above all on Fox News.

Trapped in the box
You can't be in America long before you hear people bemoan the death of a more bipartisan past.

To an extent this is piety, but sometimes the split in the media makes America feel like it is dividing into two armed camps.

There is a grave danger for American democracy that the two parties not only can't agree, they can't even discuss.

Left and right live in their little ghettos of the mind, unwilling to listen to anything that doesn't reinforce their own views. If you only hear what your opponents are thinking through the warp of second-hand caricatures, then there is no chance of understanding their point of view.

Thinking gets trapped within a very narrow box - one that often bears little relation to problems in the real world.

It would be sad if the silencing of a maverick has made this worse. It is always better for both your mental and political health to throw things at your TV or radio, than nod sagely as it confirms your prejudices.

Just thought it was worth posting (if it hasn't been already). It's relevant to everybody. I grew up in the UK and US so I have had a good peak at both political structures (both of which are far from perfect). This article just echoed the opinion that I have held for quite some time. Having such a polar political structure and media surely cannot be a good thing for the American public.

Allard

Just thought it was worth posting (if it hasn't been already). It's relevant to everybody. I grew up in the UK and US so I have had a good peak at both political structures (both of which are far from perfect). This article just echoed the opinion that I have held for quite some time. Having such a polar political structure and media surely cannot be a good thing for the American public.

Its not a good thing, but from what I have seen its not really one party vs another. Most Democrats want good political discussion and want a strong but reasonable opponent as the discourse only makes our country better. A good deal of the republican moderates and even some conservatives have gone independent or joined the democratic party in the past 5 years, and the result is an even more polarized electorate with the GOP which makes this huge split seem so large. Not saying there isn't some very stubborn, finger in your ears, democrats on the left who like to stereotype and ignore others but lately its been very one sided to the GOP camp with the no tolerance ideologies. The media and power figures in our politics are primary to blame for this problem and honestly I don't know how to fix it other then people wising up and not falling for the division tactics of entertainment and money.

Suicide of a Super Power, which contains chapters on "The End of White America" and "The Death of Christian America"

Wow. That sounds like a book title & chapters from a white supremacist book.

Why is anyone whining about freedom of speech? He got to publish that book. A private broadcasting outlet has no obligation to continue employing an already wealthy man if they decide his white supremacist views are not good for their business. But no one is 'silencing' him. They are just deciding not to promote him.

Obama Administration Wouldn’t Defend Blocking Military Benefits From Same-Sex Couples

The Obama Justice Department has concluded that legislation banning same-sex couples from receiving military and veterans benefits violates the equal protection component of the Fifth Amendment and will no longer defend the statute in court, Attorney General Eric Holder wrote in a letter to Congressional leaders on Friday.

“The legislative record of these provisions contains no rationale for providing veterans’ benefits to opposite-sex couples of veterans but not to legally married same-sex spouses of veterans,” Holder wrote. “Neither the Department of Defense nor the Department of Veterans Affairs identified any justifications for that distinction that would warrant treating these provisions differently from Section 3 of DOMA.”

Holder said DOJ would no longer defend the provisions in Title 38 which prevent same-sex couples who are legally married from obtaining benefits. He said that Congress would be provided a “full and fair opportunity” to defend the statues in the McLaughlin v. Panetta case if they wished to do so.

As Holder writes, the benefits in question “include medical and dental benefits, basic housing allowances, travel and transportation allowances, family separation benefits, military identification cards, visitation rights in military hospitals, survivor benefits, and the right to be buried together in military cemetaries.”

###

As the American public becomes more educated (increase in number of college graduates), the country will get more polarized.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
As the American public becomes more educated (increase in number of college graduates), the country will get more polarized.

Yep. Even amongst educated wealthy liberals vs plain old poor, uneducated democrats. It is going to get pretty divided on multiple ends of the political spectrum.

Obama is more of a Reagan democrat than a Clinton democrat. This shows how far right the GOP has gone in their policies.

Obama is more like a Franklin Pierce that argues with a Millard Fillmore, but occasionally his Benjamin Harrison comes out.

A brokered convention means the delegates are freed from their obligation to vote for the candidate their stated selected.

I dont remember that bullet point in my "democracy 101" lesson.

Why do you say that? I guess a lot of people solidify their political opinions during college, but at the same time it's a good opportunity to be exposed to a spectrum of ideas.

I'd pin it more on the internet/cable news/talk radio (probably in that order). It's become much easier than ever for people to slip into their respective echo chambers and never hear a dissenting opinion without it being a ridiculous caricature of their opponents' viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom