• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
AZ Senate has been surprisingly close every time PPP has polled it. Carmona's got the right profile for the state, but it might not be enough to overcome the natural advantage Republicans have.

Flake has 79% name rec while Carmona has only 50%, so maybe he has room to grow.

Averon

Dems aren't winning back the House. I refuse to be that hopeful. If Obama is re-elected, Dems (narrowly) hold on to the Senate, and make some modest gains (5-6 seats) in the House, I'll be happy.

Dems aren't winning back the House. I refuse to be that hopeful. If Obama is re-elected, Dems (narrowly) hold on to the Senate, and make some modest gains (5-6 seats) in the House, I'll be happy.
I'm not setting up that expectation for myself just so I'm not disappointed, but it's definitely possible.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This may sound weird, but I'm more confident of dems retaking the house than keeping the senate.

thefro

Does anyone think Jerry Lawler having a heart attack 30 minutes after wrestling a match at 62 years old might hurt Linda McMahon?

It'll hurt some because it'll bring up all the other wrestler deaths, etc again in the media, but I don't think WWE is to blame for the Lawler heart attack. I'm not sure if the part-timers like Lawler, etc get the heart screenings like the full-timers do, but that'd really be the only thing to be critical of. I know Lawler would get drug-tested like everyone else.

Lawler isn't going to be speaking out against the company after he recovers, either.

Tim-E

Does anyone think Jerry Lawler having a heart attack 30 minutes after wrestling a match at 62 years old might hurt Linda McMahon?

I think Lawler is probably lucky that this happened while he was working because if this had happened at his home (where there are no medical staff to immediately begin CPR) he would likely be dead.

I'll get optimistic about Obama winning and dems holding the senate, but I refuse to set my heart on democrats winning the House. I have to keep myself in check at least a little bit.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Why not move to a biometric voter ID system? You register and have fingerprint scan information stored in secure database, then verify at polling place.

Privacy concerns I guess but if you required they legally be separated from law enforcement etc. would that compensate?

Edit:
Once you successfully register once re-registering elsewhere is just a matter of demonstrating your new residence. All the other information demonstrating you are eligible has already been verified.

You mean, Jim Cramer can't figure out how to resolve that issue?

This guy gives financial advice?

I'm sure he can, but he's highlighting the issue that many seniors now face. Consider cases where family live out of state or there aren't people to help them get IDs or they simply don't know about the changes in the law and show up at the polling booth -- as they've done for decades -- only to be turned away.

Blackheim

I'm in Florida and I just want to be 100% clear about something since this is my first time voting in the state...

I'm registering to vote and we are a closed primary election state. I'd rather just remain unaffiliated but, will I be able to vote for Obama if I do? Or must I register as a Democrat in order to do so? The instructions say that you can only vote for partisan candidates of the affiliation you choose but, says nothing about how that would play out for me should I choose to not be affiliated with a party :/

With the reputation FL has for election shenanigans, I should probably assume I can't vote for a candidate, only election issues and nonpartisan races if I register as having no affiliation, heh.

pigeon

Banned
I'm in Florida and I just want to be 100% clear about something since this is my first time voting in the state...

I'm registering to vote and we are a closed primary election state. I'd rather just remain unaffiliated but, will I be able to vote for Obama if I do? Or must I register as a Democrat in order to do so? The instructions say that you can only vote for partisan candidates of the affiliation you choose but, says nothing about how that would play out for me should I choose to not be affiliated with a party :/

With the reputation FL has for election shenanigans, I should probably assume I can't vote for a candidate, only election issues and nonpartisan races if I register as having no affiliation, heh.

You can vote for whoever you want to vote for in the general election regardless of your registration. You must register as a Democrat to vote in the Democratic primary, but this is pretty irrelevant this year since it's over and Obama won unopposed. So don't worry, register however you want.

You have to be able to vote for any candidate in a general election, otherwise there would be no such thing as an independent voter.

Blackheim

You have to be able to vote for any candidate in a general election, otherwise there would be no such thing as an independent voter.

Yeah, I would have thought so, but ... Florida... >_>

At least it's not as bad as I was thinking. I love the state, but election time(s) come around and things get wacky it seems. :p

Just please don't vote for Pat Buchanan on accident.

Oh, no. No no no no no! Not gonna happen, haha.

kehs

Banned
I'm sure he can, but he's highlighting the issue that many seniors now face. Consider cases where family live out of state or there aren't people to help them get IDs or they simply don't know about the changes in the law and show up at the polling booth -- as they've done for decades -- only to be turned away.

I think he's just trying to bring some attention to the issue of voter ID laws. Pretty sure he's an Obama supporter, too, so it makes sense.

The definitive "won't be allowed to vote" struck me the wrong way I guess. I know he's trying to highlight the issue, but it seemed to personally directed for his dad.

Yeah, just illustrating that voter ID won't only affect the people it's aimed at, but also some white people.
I always figured Voter ID laws were double-edged swords that Republicans liked to flail rather carelessly. It affects seniors and minorities alike.

How do you guys feel about the story coming out about Bush siding with the state dept. and ignoring the CIA before 9/11? I kind of feel like the story could have waiting a week or been released earlier, instead of being all over the news today.

We should clearly be angry at the incompetence, but it just feels like taking advantage of the date in a somewhat odious way.

coldfoot

Banned
How do you guys feel about the story coming out about Bush ciding with the state dept. and ignoring the CIA before 9/11? I kind of feel like the story could have waiting a week or been released earlier, instead of being all over the news today.

We should clearly be angry at the incompetence, but it just feels like taking advantage of the date in a somewhat odious way.

Well today's the perfect day to get some visibility, so I understand what the paper is doing.
The Bush family name deserves the same place in history as the Hitler family name.

Diablos

Bush Admin's press secretary during 9/11

aka a lying piece of slime
haha.

It was pretty funny when he tweeted "I miss Justice Harriet Miers" after Roberts upheld PPACA. I LOL'd. Dems thought they won back when they denied her a chance to be confirmed, little did they know it was just the start of that victory as it saved what later would be their biggest domestic/social accomplishment since the 60's. Wowza.

Trurl

Banned
haha, I love the desperate attempt at comparing the race to Mondale's

They are kinda right except Mondale is Romney....w/out the bump. lol

You can't compare Romney to a guy who said this:
"Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I. He won't tell you. I just did."

The person that Romney resembles most is the fictionalized version of John Kerry that the GOP created in 2004.

It's not based on a single act like this.
The Bush (W) administration was the most corrupt, despicable, and evil group that controlled the United States in modern history.

I still hold to the value that the only person who was GENUINELY fucking evil was Dick Cheney. I say the rest were just along for the ride.

It's not based on a single act like this.
The Bush (W) administration was the most corrupt, despicable, and evil group that controlled the United States in modern history.
Misguided, I get. Even corrupt, sure. But despicable and evil, and comparing them to Hitler, come on.

KingGondo

Banned
Misguided, I get. Even corrupt, sure. But despicable and evil, and comparing them to Hitler, come on.
I think it's fair to say that Dubya himself generally tried to do what he believed was right, but he was absolutely being guided by advisors with a radical agenda (especially when it comes to foreign policy).

I do wonder how different the US would be now if Gore had been elected.

They invaded a country based on manufactured "evidence" and some information seems to indicate that there was a bent on invading Iraq even in the early days of the administration.

Not Hitler, but pretty evil.

Chichikov

How do you guys feel about the story coming out about Bush siding with the state dept. and ignoring the CIA before 9/11? I kind of feel like the story could have waiting a week or been released earlier, instead of being all over the news today.

On this issue, I believe the CIA as much as I believe Bush.
So honestly, I can't tell.

Averon

I'm hearing a lot of "Well, Jimmy Carter was ahead of Reagan during this point in the presidential election" or some variation of that. The electorate, candidates, and a host of other things I'm probably forgetting, are completely different. Romney isn't Reagan. Obama--despite what conservatives say--is not Jimmy Carter. Obama doesn't have a foreign policy debacle hanging around his neck. Hoping that history repeats itself seems rather weak at this point.

I'm hearing a lot of "Well, Jimmy Carter was ahead of Reagan during this point in the presidential election" or some variation of that. The electorate, candidates, and a host of other things I'm probably forgetting, are completely different. Romney isn't Reagan. Obama--despite what conservatives say--is not Jimmy Carter. Obama doesn't have a foreign policy debacle hanging around his neck. Hoping that history repeats itself seems rather weak at this point.

Also Reagan led in that race before the conventions, whereas Romney hasn't had a real lead at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom