• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmo

Banned
This is funny - DNC Tribute to Vets:

091112-dnc1-800.JPG

Those are Russian warships

Looking forward to seeing the polls on this issue.

It'll be interesting.

If they show people think Romney handled it better, prepare for a very ugly next two months.

Kosmo

Banned
I really didn't think the Libya stuff was going to matter much. I am still a little concerned about Netanyahu, though, because Romney doesn't have to do anything right to benefit from his actions. Of course, maybe even he will perceive the danger of putting Romney in the Oval Office (and Bolton in the State Department).

Netanyahu and Romney are friends. Combine this shit in Libya with an October strike on Iran by Israel and the only perception out there will be that Obama has lost complete fucking control of the Middle East.

EDIT: Finished Romney's presser - didn't see it as such a huge issue as you guys are blowing it up into. He made the Presidential statement to start, condemning the actions and recognizing those who were killed, and like he said - he's campaigning, it is his job to outline how his response would differ from Obama's.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Netanyahu and Romney are friends. Combine this shit in Libya with an October strike on Iran by Israel and the only perception out there will be that Obama has lost complete fucking control of the Middle East.

What are you talking about? I guess if the republican part goes off the rails, Kosmo naturally does too.

Tim-E

Are they?

“I remember him [Romney] for sure, but I don’t think we had any particular connections, I knew him and he knew me, I suppose.”
~Bibi Netanyahu, July 2012 in Vanity Fair Interview, (middle of Page 4)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wasn't aware that Obama was ever in charge of the Middle East. You see, other countries have leaders of their own, and we have to talk with them if we want them to act in the way we like.

markatisu

Wow holy shit have you jumped the shark, is that what everyone in your party is going to do along with the conspiracy theories of rigged polls and the liberal media not telling it like it is

There is no October strike on Iran

The whole Libyan embassy fiasco only strengthens resolve of the administration to go after radical Islamists where ever they are.

Embassy attack by zealots is not Obama admin's fault. Last I remember, every single Republican was rah-rahing behind the president as tomahawk missiles were falling in Tripoli.

Only person looking bad is Romney, a shapeshifting opportunist ready to exploit the death of a US ambassador for political gains. If nothing, he'll be forever remembered as a loser who tried politicizing US ambassador's death.

Averon

Glad to see the press not buying Romney's bullshit and is raking him over the coals for such blatant political opportunism.

Kosmo

Banned
Are they?

I would say the relationship is more than he is letting on:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/u...netanyahu-are-old-friends.html?pagewanted=all

But in 1976, the lives of Mitt Romney and Benjamin Netanyahu intersected, briefly but indelibly, in the 16th-floor offices of the Boston Consulting Group, where both had been recruited as corporate advisers. At the most formative time of their careers, they sized each other up during the firm’s weekly brainstorming sessions, absorbing the same profoundly analytical view of the world.

That shared experience decades ago led to a warm friendship, little known to outsiders, that is now rich with political intrigue.

When Mr. Romney was the governor of Massachusetts, Mr. Netanyahu offered him firsthand pointers on how to shrink the size of government. When Mr. Netanyahu wanted to encourage pension funds to divest from businesses tied to Iran, Mr. Romney counseled him on which American officials to meet with. And when Mr. Romney first ran for president, Mr. Netanyahu presciently asked him whether he thought Newt Gingrich would ever jump into the race.

Only a few weeks ago, on Super Tuesday, Mr. Netanyahu delivered a personal briefing by telephone to Mr. Romney about the situation in Iran.

Jackson50

What happened last page? A feedback loop between PD and Diablos? it was possibly the worst single page in Poligaf that i can remember.
lol
Couple what is happening in Egypt with the $1.3B in military aid we provided (yes, I know it flows back to American contractors in the military-industrial complex) and it will a fun thing to watch him defend in the debates. Everything they have tried so far in Egypt, Libya, and Syria has been a complete failure.
Syria's a failure, but it's not of our initiative; the situation is beyond our control. And Libya's hardly a complete failure, and I was one of the more vocal opponents of our intervention. As I'll elucidate in my subsequent post, Libya's still confronted by massive hurdles. And the regional consequences have been deleterious. Notwithstanding, there have been positive developments. With the exception of a few incidents in Eastern Libya, the conduction of free and fair elections in a state that's yet to fully consolidated is remarkable. And the relatively peaceful transition from the NTC to the GNC in August was equally encouraging. So, no. It's not been a complete failure. And the abhorrent attack on our consulate does not change that.
I am aware of that story and it doesn't negate the point at all. It is indeed going great. I guarantee you more Americans were killed in Canada this year than the one in Libya who died while the new government is only a few months in office in a country that literally had no civil society. If you're expecting the rule of law to be perfect when there have yet to be any laws written then you live in an alternate reality. Oil production nearly is back to pre-intervention levels, Libya has the fastest growing economy in the world, the new government was democratically elected in free and fair elections, American franchises are being introduced, and the population thinks better of us than the Canadians do. This was achieved with a UN mandate with the burden shared among allies, including Arab nations, without a single American military casualty.

I ask again, how exactly was Libya a failure? Give me some fucking substance Kosmo, if you have any. Libya was a fucking masterstroke of Obama foreign policy.
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were waiting for substance from Kosmo.

As I noted in my previous post, there is cause for optimism. And you listed other causes for encouragement; primarily, the expedient restoration of Libya's oil production. But to qualify conditions in Libya as great is a bit too exuberant. Factionalism is a significant problem and the national government has struggled to gain authority over the entire state. A strain of autonomy has spread through Eastern Libya as the Council of Barqah has repeatedly agitated against the national government. Armed factions have clashed multiple times throughout 2012 producing hundreds of casualties and wounded. These disputes have been mediated by either the military or militias loyal to the national government. But that is not sustainable. And until reconciliation accelerates, the tension risks intermittent outbreaks of violence. Thousands of detainees remain held by either the government or militias thereby impeding the reconciliation process. I could continue, but we're all aware Libya's challenges are substantial. Now, the expectation for Libya to have solved all of its problems is unrealistic. It's only now developing the civil society and political institutions, especially a functional judiciary, that buttress a liberal democracy. And the process will be chaotic.

Further, an aspect of Libya which has been overlooked are the regional consequences. And those have been deleterious. Loose weapons have suffused throughout the region. The availability of weapons strengthened the Tuareg rebels and Ansar Dine spurring the outbreak of violence in Mali. And this risks spilling over into Niger and perhaps even Southern Libya. Moreover, weak control over Southern Libya permits the flow of smuggled weapons and radical fighters risking regional instability.

Altogether, I'm hopeful Libya can solve its problems. It's a daunting challenge, but they've proven resilient so far. And I hope they're successful. Was this a fucking masterstroke? Only time will tell. There have been successes and failures. But it would be premature to designate Libya a success or a complete failure at this juncture.

EDIT: Finished Romney's presser - didn't see it as such a huge issue as you guys are blowing it up into. He made the Presidential statement to start, condemning the actions and recognizing those who were killed, and like he said - he's campaigning, it is his job to outline how his response would differ from Obama's.

Because suggesting the President supports – through apology – men who killed Americans in a foreign country isn't a big deal. And he's lying.

How is it not a big deal?

Sarah Palin said:
We already know that President Obama likes to “speak softly” to our enemies. If he doesn’t have a “big stick” to carry, maybe it’s time for him to grow one.
LOL . . . really? Do you proofread this shit?

Tim-E

Because suggesting the President supports – through apology – men who killed Americans in a foreign country isn't a big deal. And he's lying.

How is it not a big deal?

I also like how he thinks its just us silly old liberals making a deal out of it when basically every news outlet and many conservatives are calling it out as cold political oppertunism.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Can historian-gaf provide a single example of a presidential candidate commenting before the president on such an issue. If so is there an example of a candidate using a lie to score political points during said circumstance?

Delightfully Freudian.

It is hard not to take that as a sexual innuendo. What is it supposed to mean metaphorically? Literally it would mean he is supposed to plant an acorn, water it & fertilize it for 20 years, and then cut off a branch so he has a stick? That doesn't seem to be very effective and I can't see the metaphor.

It is hard not to take that as a sexual innuendo. What is it supposed to mean metaphorically? Literally it would mean he is supposed to plant an acorn, water it & fertilize it for 20 years, and then cut off a branch so he has a stick? That doesn't seem to be very effective and I can't see the metaphor.

He tried using the Acorn but the right uprooted it. Now Obama has no stick and Kosmo is mad at the right :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom