• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple U

Banned
No. I agree with him. He is not having fun with the subject matter. He's just too trained to have that fake smirk on his face when in public.

You can fault him for lacking enough empathy to NATURALLY not smirk during this event. But thats not the same criticism as saying he's enjoying all of it.

I really don't care who agrees with him. Nobody has accused him of enjoying all of it. All things considered, its blatantly obvious where his mind at in all of this. Something that some people consider a national tragedy just transpired, and instead of having the respect and common decency to just pay his respects and move on, he tried his damnest to use these deaths to prop himself and attack Obama. Dude didn't even have the spine to let 9/11 pass before he started playing the game. And he fucking WALKS OFF WITH THE SHIT EATING GRIN ON HIS FACE!!

I beg of you, quit trying to convince me that this is just some poor bastard who can't control himself. He's running for president for fucks sake...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am simply saying that successful military operations are positive for Presidents, and ones that have negative results are a negative. Don't forget that we ousted Ghadafi (to quote Hillary: "We came, we saw, he died") and this attack grew out of that, ultimately.

No it didn't you mumbling maroon, it was a targeted Al Qaeda revenge attack for another successful military operation.

Obama had absolutely nothing to do with ousting Ghadafi, got it.
So...the President is to blame for helping oust a murderous dictator, because 1 year from the ouster random Al Qaida/militants attacked the US embassy? Militants also attacked Jeddah US Consulate in Saudi Arabia. I suppose Bush is to blame for that? If only Bush invaded Saudi Arabia the attack on the US Consulate could've been prevented.

I really don't care who agrees with him. Nobody has accused him of enjoying all of it. All things considered, its blatantly obvious where his mind at in all of this. Something that some people consider a national tragedy just transpired, and instead of having the respect and common decency to just pay his respects and move on, he tried his damnest to use these deaths to prop himself and attack Obama. Dude didn't even have the spine to let 9/11 pass before he started playing the game. And he fucking WALKS OFF WITH THE SHIT EATING GRIN ON HIS FACE!!

I beg of you, quit trying to convince me that this is just some poor bastard
who can't control himself. He's running for president for fucks sake...
I didnt say hes a poor bastard. I just think there's a difference in the fault he made by smirking on cam, and the fault you accuse him of. As I said in my previous post.

But if it consoles you: yes, mittens is an emapthy lacking douche. The other threads about the gay veteran, medical marihuana smoker and the lesbian couple prove this more than enough.

Tim-E

I am simply saying that successful military operations are positive for Presidents, and ones that have negative results are a negative. Don't forget that we ousted Ghadafi (to quote Hillary: "We came, we saw, he died") and this attack grew out of that, ultimately.

I am trying so hard to prevent myself from insulting you. This has nothing to do with Ghadafi being killed.

Aylinato

I take back my previous response. After watching Romney's statement/Q&A plus the responses from Obama and Hillary, I am stunned at what has happened. There are plenty of politicians I really dislike, such as Cantor or Kwame Kilpatrick and Jennifer Granholm on the more local level for me. What Romney has done here is disgraceful and moves him from being someone I really dislike to someone I simply can't respect. As the smoke clears it has become clear that the embassy response was sent BEFORE the attack, and thus was an attempt to diffuse the situation. Romney not only purposely misled on this basic point, the media is apparently giving him cover; not a single reporter asked about this today.

He complains about mixed messages and then undercuts the official message of the US by speaking before the president and sec of state. And when challenged he basically said "they put out a statement, now I can put one out." First off, you aren't the president elect, Mitt. Nearly every mainstream republican has put out a statement of condolences. Even the McCain/Lieberman/Graham holy trinity has not rattled any sabres on this. This is a desperate disgrace, and hopefully the media treats it as such. While I felt the media dropped the ball during the press conference, at least it was clear their tone was appropriate; they were as befuddled as we are.

*stands up, and begins to clap*

Romney is in the worst position now.

Human tragedy aside (we all sympathize with the families of those who were killed), today is a political loss for Obama, sorry. Not sure it will have an effect in November, but for today, it's not a good thing for the administration.

Wot? Any political effect by the attacks have been taken by Romney charging in and spouting bullshit. Worst case scenario, Romney might have blown his campaign today.

Tim-E

I still hope that they're sitting on something in Chicago. I don't just want him to lose; now I want to see this guy go down in flames.

Cloudy

Banned
If Obama's smart, he goes to that rally (just not to disappoint his supporters) but cuts it short like they did after the Colorado shootings.

Clevinger

Limbaugh's got Romney's back

Obama's first instinct was to sympathize with the attackers. And when I say Obama, I'm talking about the embassy, Embassy Cairo. You can't separate Barack Obama from any of our embassies. He staffs them. They have like-minded thinkers in there. Barack Obama's in charge of the Foreign Service, he and Hillary Clinton.

Romney was dead right pointing that out. First instinct, sympathize with the attackers. Where does that come from? It comes from, just like Dinesh D'Souza says, it comes from the idea that Obama thinks this country has been too big for its britches for too long and it's time this country finds out what it has been like to be victimized by this country in the rest of the world.

Kosmo

Banned
Wot? Any political effect by the attacks have been taken by Romney charging in and spouting bullshit. Worst case scenario, Romney might have blown his campaign today.

LOL, 90% of the american electorate couldn't find Libya on a map. This will in no way negatively affect Romney come November. What's more important - left-wing echo-chambers trying to say he is politicizing a tragedy or this happening on Obama's watch and it being further evidence he is losing any semblance of control in the Middle East (Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Israel getting twitchy with Iran, Syria being a debacle)?

Clevinger

LOL, 90% of the american electorate couldn't find Libya on a map. This will in no way negatively affect Romney come November. What's more important - left-wing echo-chambers trying to say he is politicizing a tragedy or this happening on Obama's watch and it being further evidence he is losing any semblance of control in the Middle East (Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Israel getting twitchy with Iran, Syria being a debacle)?

Wait, weren't you just saying this would negatively affect Obama in the last page? So if 90% of Americans are too dumb to find Libya on the map, why would it only hurt Obama and not Romney?

Your logic, it hurts my brain.

Tim-E

IMO, I think it's obvious that Obama is just looking the other way so his Muslim friends can do as they please.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wait, weren't you just saying this would negatively affect Obama in the last page? So if 90% of Americans are too dumb to find Libya on the map, why would it only hurt Obama and not Romney?

See, here's your problem.

Kosmo

Banned

For Romney - it's a non-issue. For Obama, it's a additive to his lack of control in the Middle East.

Clevinger

What's more important - left-wing echo-chambers trying to say he is politicizing a tragedy or this happening on Obama's watch and it being further evidence he is losing any semblance of control in the Middle East (Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Israel getting twitchy with Iran, Syria being a debacle)?

Also, I'm not sure what you want him to do to "control" these places. Invade them?

Because lord knows Romney and his cohorts would have that whole region under "control". That much must be plainly obvious to the electorate.

Can you maybe provide me a hypothetical where a Romney presidency would have avoided this latest attack or may have led to more stability?

this is a masterpiece of nonsense

And I know PD has since backtracked, which is good for him. But after consulting with Andrew Sullivan we've agreed to rename the Dick Morris Worst Predictions Award to the Phoenix Dark Worst Predictions Award.

We're still tossing around nicknames at this point, but "getting PD'd" has a good ring to it.
As long as we're not getting Aaron Strifed.

"Utah's gonna have a democratic senator guys!"

pigeon

Banned
left-wing echo-chambers trying to say he is politicizing a tragedy

The American Conservative said:
The extraordinary thing is that Romney may have been losing yesterday, but he wasn’t being widely ridiculed and attacked for having practically disqualified himself from consideration. When senior Republican foreign policy professionals start referring to this as his “Lehman moment,” likening it to McCain’s mid-September meltdown in response to the financial crisis, we can see that Romney’s latest attempt to seize on an international event has done significant and possibly irreparable damage to his campaign.

Buzzfeed said:
"They were just trying to score a cheap news cycle hit based on the embassy statement and now it’s just completely blown up," said a very senior Republican foreign policy hand, who called the statement an "utter disaster" and a "Lehman moment" — a parallel to the moment when John McCain, amid the 2008 financial crisis, failed to come across as a steady leader.

echo echo echo

Cloudy

Banned
The media’s criticism of Romney’s statements has nothing to do with bias, political spectator sport, or a lack of understanding of foreign policy.

In a time of immediate crisis, when American lives have been lost and more might be at stake, a challenger should consider reserving judgment, and perhaps even confer or show solidarity with the administration. Whatever political points Romney might score within one 24-hour news cycle are just not worth it.

Read more: http://thepage.time.com/2012/09/12/romneys-moment/#ixzz26HpaChtx

Mark Halerpin is no left-winger

Clevinger

Arizona Senator Jon Kyl has got Romney's back

Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl said the U.S. embassy in Cairo's condemnation of an anti-Muslim film as bigotry amid protests was "like a judge telling the woman that got raped, you asked for it because of the way you dressed,"

Jon Kyl: It's like the judge telling the woman who got raped, 'You asked for it because of the way you dressed.' OK? That's the same thing. 'Well America, you should be the ones to apologize, you should have known this would happen, you should have done — what I don't know — but it's your fault that it happened.' You know, for a member of our State Department to put out a statement like that, it had to be cleared by somebody. They don't just do that in the spur of the moment.

echo echo echo

But criticizing a sitting US president at a time when American diplomats are dying is a dangerous political game, noted other commentators. Romney’s insistence that the US had “apologized” for the anti-Muslim movie appeared to be based on an embassy Twitter message that, among other things, condemned attacks on all faiths, and was issued prior to the attack on the embassy itself, not after. Jumping into this situation, a candidate may appear to be a more forceful leader than the incumbent – or they may look opportunistic and small.

NBC’s First Read political site judged Romney’s original statement “one of the most over-the-top and (it turns out) incorrect attacks of the general-election campaign.”

First Read, co-authored by veteran political reporter Chuck Todd among others, judged the Romney attacks to be news-cycle campaigning that had gone awry. Romney should have waited until all the facts were in, according to this analysis.

“After the facts have come out, last night’s Romney statement only feeds the narrative that his campaign is desperate,” the analysis concludes.

Even some fellow Republicans are voicing regret over Romney’s decision to criticize the administration at this delicate moment.

“They probably should have waited,” noted former Sen. John Sununu of New Hampshire in an MSNBC appearance Wednesday
http://news.yahoo.com/iran-redux-could-killing-us-ambassador-sway-presidential-171403533.html
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/12/13827378-first-thoughts-over-the-top?lite

I wonder if this was a mistake by them or yet another intentional distortion of reality. If it was intentional, this campaign is just a bunch of asshole liars. The out-of-context 'you didn't build that', the out-right welfare work requirement lie, and now this (intentional?) timeline distortion? Fucking assholes.

Richard Armitage, a former Bush administration official and a foreign policy adviser to Republican John McCain during his 2008 presidential bid, said: “I bet the Romney camp wishes it had those initial statements back so they could now express the proper condolences for the loss of life of our diplomats.”

Joe Scarborough, the former Republican congressman who now hosts a popular political show on cable television, said that he had been “inundated with emails and calls from elected GOP leaders who think Romney’s response was a mistake”.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e838b02-fcf8-11e1-a4f2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz26HrAlt00

ouch.

Tim-E

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-redux-could-killing-us-ambassador-sway-presidential-171403533.html

I wonder if this was a mistake by them or yet another intentional distortion of reality. If it was intentional, this campaign is just a bunch of asshole liars. The out-of-context 'you didn't build that', the out-right welfare work requirement lie, and now this (intentional?) timeline distortion? Fucking assholes.

Unlike those things, I don't see this sticking with anyone that isn't a Kosmo clone.

I keep wondering if Kosmo will ever have an "OMG, what was I thinking back then" moment at some point in his life.

I think at least a handful of PoliGAF-fers have come around.

Kosmo is like, on a whole other level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom