• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
More Republicans join the Kosmo Media Conspiracy™ against Romney:

Mitt Romney’s response to the attacks on the U.S. embassy in Cairo and a U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya has gotten a negative reception from numerous Republicans — some anonymous, some not.

Several foreign policy hawks, including former U.N. ambassador John Bolton and Sen. Jim DeMint, have defended Romney’s charge that President Obama’s administration sympathized with America’s attackers. But the Republican presidential candidate has also attracted critics in his own party for the way he handled the critique, both in a statement Tuesday night and a news conference Wednesday.

“He bobbled it,” Republican lobbyist Ed Rogers told the Post of the news conference. “It’s important that he present himself as serious, poised and credible during this time, and I thought his statement this morning was unpolished, a little too off-the-cuff for the occasion, and the contrast he set with Obama was not good.”

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)
, chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, said Romney was ”right on the larger point,” but “I probably would have waited a day or half a day.” The Weekly Standard’s Bill Kristol was also supportive of the Romney campaign’s argument, but said it was fair to “question the timing and tone.”

Mark Salter, a longtime aide to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), called the “rush to condemn” Obama, by Romney and other Republicans, “as tortured in its reasoning as it is unseemly in its timing.”

The Wall Street Journal’s Peggy Noonan said on Fox News Wednesday morning that Romney “has not been doing himself any favors. … I always think discretion is the better way to go.”

Anonymously, Republican critics were more blunt.

“They were just trying to score a cheap news cycle hit,” a “very senior Republican foreign policy hand” said to BuzzFeed. “Not ready for primetime,” said a nameless former aide to John McCain in the same piece.

And “several Republican aides and Romney advisers” told Politico that “Romney may have ended up further out on a limb than his team originally intended.”

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't wait for the day when EviLore creates a thread called "Kosmo stuff goes here and nowhere else".

He'd have to find a way to make it so he could only post in there though, kind of like an Arkham for GAF. I'm sure Evilore has top men on it. Top men.

Seriously though, what in the hell Kosmo?

Any update on those warships?

I wouldn't get too worried about them. Marines are responsible for the security of US embassies worldwide. While there's probably an element of reminding extremists that there's US military might that could be brought down on them at any time, I'm sure that the safety and security of the Embassy and its personnel is of greater concern to the at the moment.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Forever

Banned
Video of the now infamous smirk.

3VtMB.jpg

Haven't seen it posted - Michael Lewis profile on Obama in Libya.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/10/michael-lewis-profile-barack-obama

Been waiting for this one. Some great quotes:

The dishes he replaced with the original applications for several famous patents and patent models—Samuel Morse’s 1849 model for the first telegraph, for instance, which he pointed to and said, “This is the start of the Internet right here.”

Obama looked at the Reagan patio and laughed at the audacity of building it.

“Here is what I would tell you,” he’d said. “I would say that your first and principal task is to think about the hopes and dreams the American people invested in you. Everything you are doing has to be viewed through this prism. And I tell you what every president … I actually think every president understands this responsibility. I don’t know George Bush well. I know Bill Clinton better. But I think they both approached the job in that spirit.” Then he added that the world thinks he spends a lot more time worrying about political angles than he actually does.

“You’ll see I wear only gray or blue suits,” he said. “I’m trying to pare down decisions. I don’t want to make decisions about what I’m eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make.” He mentioned research that shows the simple act of making decisions degrades one’s ability to make further decisions.

“One of the things you realize fairly quickly in this job is that there is a character people see out there called Barack Obama. That’s not you. Whether it is good or bad, it is not you"
On why he doesn't show more emotion:
“There are some things about being president that I still have difficulty doing,” he said. “For example, faking emotion. Because I feel it is an insult to the people I’m dealing with. For me to feign outrage, for example, feels to me like I’m not taking the American people seriously. I’m absolutely positive that I’m serving the American people better if I’m maintaining my authenticity. And that’s an overused word. And these days people practice being authentic. But I’m at my best when I believe what I am saying.”
Romney could take a lesson or two.
He thought the other side would pay a bigger price for inflicting damage on the country for the sake of defeating a president. But the idea that he might somehow frighten Congress into doing what he wanted was, to him, clearly absurd. “All of these forces have created an environment in which the incentives for politicians to cooperate don’t function the way they used to

“He seems very much to want to hear from people. Even when he’s made up his mind he wants to cherry-pick the best arguments to justify what he wants to do.”
On the decision on the course of action in Libya
Because it’s a hard problem. What the process is going to do is try to lead you to a binary decision. Here are the pros and cons of going in. Here are the pros and cons of not going in. The process pushes towards black or white answers; it’s less good with shades of gray.

“You’re telling me a no-fly zone doesn’t solve the problem, but the only option you’re giving me is a no-fly zone.” He gave his generals two hours to come up with another solution for him to consider
He's going to slaughter Romney, by the way.

On the decision to attack Libyan forces:
“No one in the Cabinet was for it,” says one witness. “There was no constituency for doing what he did.” Then Obama went upstairs to the Oval Office to call European heads of state and, as he puts it, “call their bluff.” Cameron first, then Sarkozy
BOSS.

The next morning Obama called Medvedev to make sure that the Russians would not block his U.N. resolution. There was no obvious reason why Russia should want to see Qad­da­fi murder a city of Libyans, but in the president’s foreign dealings the Russians play the role that Republicans currently more or less play in his domestic affairs. The Russians’ view of the world tends to be zero-sum: if an American president is for it, they are, by definition, against it. Obama thought that he had made more prog­ress with the Russians than he had with the Republicans; Medvedev had come to trust him, he felt, and believed him when he said the United States had no intention of moving into Libya for the long term.
LMAO

A few days earlier Newt Gingrich, busy running for president, had said, “We don’t need the United Nations. All we have to say is that we think slaughtering your own citizens is unacceptable and that we’re intervening.” Four days after the bombing began, Gingrich went on the Today show to say he wouldn’t have intervened

Kosmo

Banned
Okay, well what was their point?

Their point was that no reporters have the balls to ask Obama tough questions and when Swann asked him about droning Americans and the Kill List and Obama basically said "Shut up slave, you're asking a question based on news reports that I have never confirmed, and until I confirm it, it didn't happen."

On the vanity fair article:

“You’ll see I wear only gray or blue suits,” he said. “I’m trying to pare down decisions. I don’t want to make decisions about what I’m eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make.” He mentioned research that shows the simple act of making decisions degrades one’s ability to make further decisions.

I am pretty sure this is ripped from Steve Jobs - maybe just adopting the same philosophy.

gcubed

The number keeps increasing. Mark Salter obviously is no Romney fan given his McCain ties, but the rest of those people are typical mainstream republican types

im not really surprised that actual elected republicans would come out against a moron (well... shocked a bit by McCarthy err.. King)... the biggest surprise was Sunnuu

Forever

Banned
Smirkgate is silly. It is just his reaction to everything. The guy made millions buying companies and laying people off, so it is not like he is the most empathetic person. We already knew that.

I'm fairly sure we've never seen him apply his lack of empathy to a national tragedy. Gays and poors yes, but not dead civil servants.

sangreal

Smirkgate is silly. It is just his reaction to everything. The guy made millions buying companies and laying people off, so it is not like he is the most empathetic person. We already knew that.

Jed Lewison is an idiot who has overplayed every hand he has ever been dealt (usually without understanding the facts). Don't worry, nobody else cares. We all know Romney is a dick

Reading that Vanity Fair piece, it struck me just how much the office of the POTUS is responsible for peoples lives and how personally Obama feels it.

With the perspective in that piece, I can tell the Obama was probably genuinely upset this morning and probably really pissed off about the Romney bullshit.

It would be really hard to imagine Romney in that capacity -- caring about the wellbeing or lives of others. This is a guy who made his fortune by caring about profits above all else, even people's livelihood.

Ecotic

I think this is when Republicans have begun to openly acknowledge that they don't really want to elect Romney. Opposing Obama for four more years is far more enjoyable than defending someone when your heart isn't with them. At least with opposition you can maintain your purity of conviction.

Oh man. Richard Williamson, Romney's foreign policy adviser, said this to a question whether Romney went to soon:

Ty Cobb was the greatest hitter of all time and he batted about .355. And he is still the greatest hitter. There isn’t something in my 63 years I couldn’t have done better except con my wife into marrying me.

lol

and to make his point, he cites a bigot. Good job.

Zabka

I am pretty sure this is ripped from Steve Jobs - maybe just adopting the same philosophy.
Bruce Banner was the same way in the comics. That's why Hulk always had purple pants.

I think people said the same thing about Einstein too, but I'd prefer to think he was inspired by the Hulk's vast array of purple suits.

sangreal

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean (every statement doesn't have to be a hit?), but Ty Cobb was a racist POS and probably shouldn't be quoted

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ryan joining Romney, guess he got told to fall in line since his first speech this morning was subdued during the town hall

Peace through Strength lol

I love Ryan directly using lines from the talking points that they sent out.

Oh man. Richard Williamson, Romney's foreign policy adviser, said this to a question whether Romney went to soon:

lol

and to make his point, he cites a bigot. Good job.

I can't wait to have a president who thinks failing 65% of the time is a job well done!

Obama to go HAM on Romney in Debate 3 (FP). Book it.

It is going to be a pretty epic beatdown; the problem I see with Romney, the Bush administration, and Republicans in general is that they want to see things in black-and-white, right-and-wrong terms.

The world simply doesn't operate like that.

Ryan asked about women issues, response?

Economy sucks.
Tax cuts.

It is going to be a pretty epic beatdown; the problem I see with Romney, the Bush administration, and Republicans in general is that they want to see things in black-and-white, right-and-wrong terms.

The world simply doesn't operate like that.
Its still good advice for sound-bites, slogans and bumper stickers. And so many people do see the world in black and white terms.

thefro

That Vanity Fair piece is fantastic. Great to get in President Obama's head a little and nice to see he's the same person that he was when he wrote his first book.

Gruco

Banned
I think the Vanity Fair piece is irrefutable evidence that Obama, for all the positive qualities he brings to office, is not a leader.

Also, Mitt Romney has been running the perfect campaign

Amir0x

Banned
The best debate is going to be the townhall I think. For the sheer fact of optics... Obama has always been natural in townhalls. Romney is mostly a fumbling fool in those.

markatisu

The best debate is going to be the townhall I think. For the sheer fact of optics... Obama has always been natural in townhalls. Romney is mostly a fumbling fool in those.

Yeah Romney hates people so its going to be very eye opening.

Similar to how W Bush looked more in touch with people then Kerry, and Clinton looked more in touch then HW Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom