• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
At this point, all democrat money should focus on the house and senate.
We have two months to go and the GOP Super PAC's are going to flood the airwaves with ads. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. A lot can happen, there is no good reason to get cocky yet.

pigeon

Banned
Is it true that the white house had credible information about embassy attacks 48 hours before the attack and didn't beef up security?

Listening to conservative radio with my brother and that assertion from the Independent in England is causing a shit storm over the radio waves.

Despite the headline, the Independent article doesn't actually say anything about the White House having any specific intelligence information, aside from them beefing up the security with local forces because of concern about it being 9/11. That seems kind of irresponsible to me!

edit: It says that they knew American missions might be targeted but didn't tell the officials to go on lockdown; however, it specifically mentions them increasing security.

Vahagn

We have two months to go and the GOP Super PAC's are going to flood the airwaves with ads. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. A lot can happen, there is no good reason to get cocky yet.

While I completely agree with you, I was wondering if this has been addressed here yet?

When we heard that Obama and Romney raised near amounts of cash in August, the Democratic National Convention hadn't happened yet and the Republican one had.

That added to Rahm Emmanuel joining fundraising for Priorities, I have a feeling Obama will get more money in September / October than Romney. As long as the ads keep pace on a 1:1 ratio, I think Obama can win because he's the better and more substantive debater.

markatisu

While I completely agree with you, I was wondering if this has been addressed here yet?

When we heard that Obama and Romney raised near amounts of cash in August, the Democratic National Convention hadn't happened yet and the Republican one had.

That added to Rahm Emmanuel joining fundraising for Priorities, I have a feeling Obama will get more money in September / October than Romney. As long as the ads keep pace on a 1:1 ratio, I think Obama can win because he's the better and more substantive debater.

Obama is also putting more money into the states that count. Obama is directing almost all of his money to the big ones (OH , FL and VA) and letting the swing states basically just come to him. I think his campaign feels they have the swing states in the bag like CO and IA and now want to just kill the GOP outright

Clevinger

That's right, plus Romney can now spend his war chest. But at the same time, it's not like those same Super PACs have been sitting on their hands since Romney won the primary.

markatisu

That's right, plus Romney can now spend his war chest. But at the same time, it's not like those same Super PACs have been sitting on their hands since Romney won the primary.

The problem is that it was not like Obama was flat broke, Romney is running this campaign like he can just tank the airwaves with money (like he did against Santorum) but Obama has more field offices and almost as much money. He was only behind on Superpac money which is starting to even up

Forever

Banned
Does this mean I can actually vote Green this year and not have to vote Obama to keep Mittens from winning Florida? I'd rather vote my conscience, but the perceived tightening of the race a month or so ago made me open up to the idea of voting Bams a second time. If the lead is substantial in Florida, I'm gonna vote Green Party. PEACE.

On your head be it if Florida goes red.

I don't think the ad money matters on the national level that much. PACs have already spend what, $100m attacking Obama all year and nothing has changed. The money will benefit senate/house races though

The problem is that it was not like Obama was flat broke, Romney is running this campaign like he can just tank the airwaves with money (like he did against Santorum) but Obama has more field offices and almost as much money. He was only behind on Superpac money which is starting to even up

It's pretty clear the Romney's team took the completely wrong lessons from the GOP primaries. Based on their experiences with Santorum, Gingrich, etc., they seem to have learned that they could overwhelm problems by throwing money at them...when, in fact, they should have realized they wouldn't have the same financial advantages in the general, and that they needed to work on their ground game. That's what helped Obama in 2008 -- the long campaign meant he didn't need to build an infrastructure when the general rolled around -- and Romney was foolish to think he could get by, especially against Obama, without one.

Think I'll just leave this here. I hate this state so much.
Well, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, if they actually did that it would be a HUGE help to Obama. He wasn't going to win Kansas anyway and if Kansas threw a sitting president off the ballot due to birther nonsense, the reputation of the right-wing in the USA would drop through the floor.

Go ahead Kansas . . . do it.

kehs

Banned
As PD pointed out earlier, I'd love to see someone raise the same concerns about Romney being ineligble in those sames states.

#Paul2012Kansas

I remember John McCain being a lot funnier than Obama at the 2008 Al Smith dinner but afterward everyone else seemed to think that Obama was cool and McCain was weird.

Obama had good jokes and bad delivery; McCain had good jokes and good delivery. I think Romney will have average jokes and horrible delivery

Believe it or not, Kasich is part of the reason Romney is upside down in Ohio. He decimated Romney's chances to improve his re-election bid.

Pretty much this.

I live in a reliable Republican-voting city (about 30 miles from a city that is Tea Party Central in Jim Jordan's district) and you know now many Romney signs I've seen here? Zero. Only seen two Obama signs, but not a damn Romney one.

markatisu

Obama had good jokes and bad delivery; McCain had good jokes and good delivery. I think Romney will have average jokes and horrible delivery

Knowing Romney and how awkward he is I can totally see him utter the world colored or make some joke that nobody gets and it probably will offend lol

Averon

SuperPACs have been running anti-Obama ads non-stop since at least early summer. The numbers for Romney has actually gotten worse since then. I wonder if some PACs are thinking of stop throwing money Mitt's way and focus on house and senate races.

edit: Here's a nice article from The New Republic explaining why Romney's money advantage may not be so big.
There’s no question that Romney’s ad spending advantage is indeed an advantage, it just might not be a very big one. But the assessment of Romney's ad spending advantage is incomplete without considering Obama's ground game. Part of the reason why Romney has such a large advantage in ad spending is because the Obama campaign has decided to invest heavily in building and cultivating their ground operation. According to The Washington Post, Obama and Democratic field operatives outnumber their Republican counterparts by more than two-to-one and the most recent ABC/Washington Post poll found that a far greater share of voters has been contacted by the Obama campaign. Political Scientists have found that voter contact is one of the most effective forms of political persuasion, with experiments by Gerber and Green finding that voters turned out at an 8.7 percent higher rate than a control group. In a high-turnout presidential election year, the increase in turnout will not be nearly as large as it was in an off-year, local election. Even so, direct contact is a demonstrably effective means to increase turnout.

Vahagn

SuperPACs have been running anti-Obama ads non-stop since at least early summer. The numbers for Romney has actually gotten worse since then. I wonder if some PACs are thinking of stop throwing money Mitt's way and focus on house and senate races.

That makes me feel good.

I live in Los Angeles, we don't see any Romney ads. I'm glad the ad blitzes haven't been working yet in the swing states.

markatisu

That makes me feel good.

I live in Los Angeles, we don't see any Romney ads. I'm glad the ad blitzes haven't been working yet in the swing states.

We see them all the time here in Iowa but they have no substance. The latest one is Mitt Romney will repeal all of Obama's decisions and create 130k new jobs for Iowa

However, he has come to the state and repeatedly shit on our wind initiatives which if removed/killed would cost the state a LOT of jobs and 2 partnerships with wind turbine manuf.

Not to mention they refuse to pass Farm Legislation to help us in the worst drought in nearly a century, and when asked our Gov and Romney/Ryan basically say its Obama's fault. He can cause it to not rain I guess lol

RDreamer

In Wisconsin I don't see too many actual Romney ads, but I've seen a metric ton of anti-Obama ads. It's probably still at least a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio of anti-Obama to Obama at this point.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That would backfire spectacularly for Republicans, I think. Then again, maybe I'm putting too much faith in the American electorate.

The Republicans would be forced to address it in the absolute strongest terms. there is no other option available to them and they would be in the bizarre predicament of having to side 100% with the candidate they are desperately trying to defeat. They couldn't even wave it off as a state issue.

bananas

Banned
Thought this was kinda funny:

IoMjw.png

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...l-odds-markets-say-about-the-election/262332/

In Britain -- where betting on U.S. elections is legal -- bookies give about the same odds. These odds held in London even after a £40,000 bet on Romney. A spokesperson for the leading bookmaker, Ladbrokes, said on September 12:

Our punter may think Romney's the man for the job, but we're not so sure. We're happy to keep the prices as they are, because as far as we're concerned, Obama is untouchable.

Of course, Ladbrokes could be wrong, and the Iowa markets could be, too. But the Iowa markets in particular are better at predicting outcomes than any single poll of voters is. A 2008 study by professors in the University of Iowa's Henry B. Tippie College of Business, sponsor of the non-profit program, concluded:

Takes a big drag of Hopium

-PXG-

Dow is up, arrests made in Libya and Romney taking heat from his own base. God, I love it.

Obama ridin' dat swag train to the debates.

In Wisconsin I don't see too many actual Romney ads, but I've seen a metric ton of anti-Obama ads. It's probably still at least a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio of anti-Obama to Obama at this point.

I suspect PA is like that. I always joke I see more Anti-Obama stickers than I ever see Romney one.

Oh the PAGOP (I have no clue how I got added to their email list) sent out an email trying to claim that Romeny and the Republicans haven't abandoned PA. lol

Measley

Wow, Hannity cut off John McCain and kicked him off the air when he disagreed with him about the ME situation. Unbelievable.

Is it true that the white house had credible information about embassy attacks 48 hours before the attack and didn't beef up security?

Listening to conservative radio with my brother and that assertion from the Independent in England is causing a shit storm over the radio waves.
The Libya attack didn't happen at an embassy.

Kosmo

Banned
Dow is up, arrests made in Libya and Romney taking heat from his own base. God, I love it.

Obama ridin' dat swag train to the debates.

Yep, gonna be fun watching him answer if he knew about this:

According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

Probably not something that would some up in the Presidential Daily Briefing, right?

The Government Accountability Institute, a new conservative investigative research organization, examined President Obama’s schedule from the day he took office until mid-June 2012, to see how often he attended his Presidential Daily Brief (PDB) — the meeting at which he is briefed on the most critical intelligence threats to the country. During his first 1,225 days in office, Obama attended his PDB just 536 times — or 43.8 percent of the time. During 2011 and the first half of 2012, his attendance became even less frequent — falling to just over 38 percent. By contrast, Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush almost never missed his daily intelligence meeting.

Not that I would expect any "journalist" to actually ask about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Probably not something that would some up in the Presidential Daily Briefing, right?

Where's your link? Gotta cite them sources bro.

I'm sure that had Obama personally called him and told him not to be there at that given time he would've been alive today. </Obama's America>

I promise this is the last time I respond to your lazy bullshit I SWEAR because it is fucking exhausting. I don't put people on ignore, but I will just ignore them.

Obama receives and reads the PDB every day. The reason Bush regularly held meetings where the PDB was presented to him was because he was too fucking lazy to read it himself.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Dunno about that first part, but regarding the second part:

But what about the meetings the president is allegedly "skipping"? There are no such meetings -- as Dana Milbank explained today, "In reality, Obama didn't 'attend' these meetings, because there were no meetings to attend: The oral briefings had been mostly replaced by daily exchanges in which Obama reads the materials and poses written questions and comments to intelligence officials. This is how it was done in the Clinton administration, before Bush decided he would prefer to read less. Bush's results -- Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, and the failure to find Osama bin Laden -- suggest this was not an obvious improvement."

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2...gus-intelligence-briefings-talking-point?lite

Still, even IF such a thing were true that there were actual important meetings going on that Obama willingly neglected, that would actually make Obama seem MORE impressive, considering how much he's destroyed Al Qaeda. Imagine if he went to ALL of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom