• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

Don't say Desperate: How Muslim Unrest Has Created a Crisis for Romney

http://nymag.com/news/politics/powergrid/mitt-romney-middle-east-unrest-2012-9/

Read more by clicking the link.
A mistake of this magnitude was inevitable for Romney. His habitual, injudicious caviling of Obama positioned him for an accident. His behavior became reflexive. Then, with the developments in Egypt, he reflexively criticized Obama without considering the implications. And the blowback has been fierce.
What about an embassy being overrun or massive deaths caused by Marines (properly) defending an embassy?
I find neither hypothetical likely. Regardless, the first would harm if casualties were heightened. The second would modestly bolster his candidacy; for example, it might engender support among gun enthusiasts.
Indeed.
Politics is too complicated of a system to have a single narrative, but if I'm forced to pick one, I'll go with rural vs. urban (and it has been like this since the forming of this country).
I prefer good vs evil.
Gallup 49-45 O. Bounce over. Libya factored in?
I doubt it accounts for the movement. It's probably the regression to the mean.

pigeon

Banned
Gallup 49-45 O. Bounce over. Libya factored in?

Obama was expected to lose a couple of points after the convention, and that's exactly what he lost. On 9/5 Obama was one point up; now he's four. If h gets back to even in the next few days, then we'll know the bounce really didn't stick around.

A mistake of this magnitude was inevitable for Romney. His habitual, injudicious caviling of Obama positioned him for an accident. His behavior became reflexive. Then, with the developments in Egypt, he reflexively criticized Obama without considering the implications. And the blowback has been fierce.I find neither hypothetical likely. Regardless, the first would harm if casualties were heightened. The second would modestly bolster his candidacy; for example, it might engender support among gun enthusiasts.I prefer good vs evil.I doubt it accounts for the movement. It's probably the regression to the mean.

I wouldn't use the same two words so close together. I would have gone with impulsively, impetuously, incautiously, something along those lines. Points for "caviling," though.

Business is thriving at the Big Apple Pizza shop thanks to owner Scott Van Duzer's now-infamous bear hug of President Obama.

Sales at his Fort Pierce, Fla. pizza place are up 200 percent,
Van Duzer told The Huffington Post, since he lifted Obama off the ground in an exuberant squeeze that transfixed the country on Sunday, launching a flurry of copycat hugs. The 46-year-old businessman went on to embrace CNN's Anderson Cooper and former Florida governor Charlie Crist, as well as many locals who are now coming by the restaurant just to get a quick snuggle.

"Business has been booming," Van Duzer told The Huffington Post.

Around the country, many were upset with the self-identified Republican small business owner for supporting Obama, some threatened a boycott, others posted what he called "vulgar, graphic" notes on social media and even called in fake orders for pizza. But the overwhelming response has been positive, says Van Duzer, who started working at the store when he was 16 and has never worked anywhere else.

"The outpouring of love and support from my community to me has been overwhelming," Van Duzer said. Many have called in to order pizza or donate money to his shop from as far away as Alaska, Hawaii, New York and New Jersey. He's taken their orders and donations and used them to give away pizzas to shelters, veterans associations, and firehouses and police stations, he said.

Van Duzer took over the business in 1991 and runs it with his sons and a few other employees. In 2008 he launched The Van Duzer Foundation, which helps raise awareness and funds for blood donations.

Since Sunday's hug, Van Duzer has sidestepped questions ranging from how the president smelled to whether he was heavy. "People say it was staged, it was fake, and I can tell you right now, from the bottom of my heart, it was like we were high school buddies from 25 years ago at a high school reunion. No matter all the bad, I would do the exact same thing again."

Regardless of how it has been interpreted, Van Duzer saw the hug as a gesture that was "innocent [and] respectful. At the end of the day, it's the president of the United States, not the president of the Democratic party, not the president of the Republicans."

Van Duzer, who voted for Obama in 2008 and plans to vote for him again in November, doesn't take issue with Obama's small business policies. "My business is stronger than it was four years ago, and that's because I take accountability for my business," he said. "I personally run and operate my business, and I don't depend on the government to help me."

Instead, Van Duzer has found a better way to boost business: hugging. "I gave out over 100" hugs Wednesday, Van Duzer said. "We're going to get a monitor, and when we get to about 300 or 400 hugs, we're going to play them on a loop, so people can come in and see their hugs. We're having a good time with it."

Van Duzer isn't the first to feel the positive ripple effect of an Obama encounter. After Obama visited a Five Guys location in 2009, the hamburger joint saw business more than double, and had to stay open late to meet the overwhelming demand. Even Al Green got an Obama bump after the president crooned "Let's Stay Together" at the Apollo Theater in January 2012, boosting the classic song's sales by 490 percent.

Fuck yeah

Forever

Banned
who_would_win_2.jpg

The single most infuriating thing about the blackouts is that all while Enron was deliberately fucking things up, they publicly laid the blame on regulation. Not only were they scamming the state, but they convinced people to give them greater leeway for doing so!

Davis was recalled because he was a weak POS. Instead of doing something productive, he tried to go through the super slow court system while people were getting fucked over.

He was a man of inaction. I was happy when we threw him out.

Loudninja

Santorum: Obama Responsible For Situation In Mid-East
"This president has to take a share of the responsibility for what the Midde East looks like today because he helped structure it," Santorum said. He accused Obama of "turning his back on Israel" and other allies in the region.

"If you are a friend of the United States you're on you're own," Santorum said, describing Obama's foreign policy. "If you're an enemy of the United States, let's talk."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/santorum-obama-responsible-for-situation-in-mid-east

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well look at that, I agree with Rick Santorum on something.

I thought this was the more retarded part of the statement:

When it comes to conservatism libertarian types can say, oh, well you know, we don't want to talk about social issues," Santorum said. "Without the church and the family, there is no conservative movement, there is no basic values of America."

Is he trying to eliminate any chance of non-base tea party mouth breathers voting for the republican ticket?

Rick Santorum said:
"If you are a friend of the United States you're on you're own," Santorum said, describing Obama's foreign policy. "If you're an enemy of the United States, let's talk."

Um...logically wouldn't this make sense in practice? If you're a friend of the US why do we need to interfere with every little thing? If you're an *enemy* wouldn't it be best to talk first rather than dropping bombs on sight?

*siiiigh*

Wray

Oh man.

So one of my conservative family members is going on and on about how "they" (Muslims) dragged Ambassador Stevens through the street and raped him after he was dead. They are citing this picture of him that we saw already in this thread.

Picture

Is there any truth to this, or is that just the latest chain email crap going around? I had thought he was being carried to the hospital in that picture.

Chichikov

Oh man.

So one of my conservative family members is going on and on about how "they" (Muslims) dragged Ambassador Stevens through the street and raped him after he was dead. They are citing this picture of him that we saw already in this thread.

Picture

Is there any truth to this, or is that just the latest chain email crap going around? I had thought he was being carried to the hospital in that picture.
As far as I know, the rape stories are unconfirmed, but that picture is real, it was plastered on the front page of the LA Times.

Clevinger

Oh man.

Picture

I'm not sure, but I believe he was being carried by Libyans to an ambulance/hospital. I think one paper claimed that he was raped and whatever else, but there's been no other source.

Jackson50

I'm not sure, but I believe he was being carried by Libyans to an ambulance/hospital. I think one paper claimed that he was raped and whatever else, but there's been no other source.
Yeah. Those are only baseless rumors. The picture displays him being transported to a hospital where his body was recovered.

pigeon

Banned
Oh man.

Picture

The source being cited for this is a British tabloid reading a Google Translate of an Arabic newspaper.

Oh man.

Picture

About 10 Libyans also died defending the diplomats. They got him to the hospital. Your conservative family members are idiots, sorry.

had no worries about PA no one should've, but man look at the 08 PA counties
200px-Pennsylvania_Presidential_Election_Results_by_County%2C_2008.svg.png

This a blue state, if it wasnt for Philly and Pittsburgh lolz

late to the party, but yeah. the areas where people actually ARE (Greater Philadelphia area, Allentown/Scranton, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Erie) are solid blue. Philadelphia itself is the microscopic county in the lower right. geographically it's tiny, but I think the statistic is that there are more democrats in just philadelphia than there are republicans in the rest of the state. they just don't vote reliably.

The giant mass of red is coal and farm country where very few people live. there's a shitload of it, but you can go miles without seeing ANYBODY in a lot of that territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom