• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallagin

Romney is going to come out thinking that the controversy is that he wasn't hard enough on the 47%.

"I just want to clarify what I was saying in the video, Fuck the 47%."

What can Romney possibly say to deflate this? He can't say it was misquoted. If he says he mis-spoke that will just look weak. He could double down I guess, which would fire up his base while turning everyone else off

I suppose he could bring up Obama's guns/religion comments but that won't fly outside of the right (who will pretend like those comments were ignored when in reality they almost cost Obama the nomination)

A3Ch80JCcAE0tyW.jpg

Gotchaye

What can Romney possibly say to deflate this? He can't say it was misquoted. If he says he mis-spoke that will just look weak. He could double down I guess, which would fire up his base while turning everyone else off

I suppose he could bring up Obama's guns/religion comments but that won't fly outside of the right (who will pretend like those comments were ignored when in reality they almost cost Obama the nomination)

My money's on: "how about a do-over?"

Seriously: I guess I expect a lot of talk about distractions and how Obama's the one trying to make people dependent.

I haven't checked the right's response to all this yet, but the fact that Romney is holding a press conference should tell everyone his camp thinks this is huge. I thought he could simply ignore the media and explain this later. I bet there are folks in the campaign who also feel this is not a bad thing, but are being overruled.

This is the same guy who won't reveal his own taxes, yet talks behind closed doors about poor people (and old people...) not paying enough taxes.

See this reminds me of young adult novels with political campaigns, where Obama represents the humble, good natured everyman (usually a relative of the protagonist) while Romney is the overtly evil prick with a name like John Asshole who looks like he'll win, but loses in a landslide. This narrative is too perfect to have not been plotted.

I'm not surprised he's doubling down. His strategy has, for whatever reason, been to try and get the rightwing base behind him and to the polls, damn everyone else.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I'm more worried about the senate now. We need an Obama blowout.

At this point I'd expect every Dem to work on tying their opponent to Romney in some fashion. He might've lost several elections with this, depending on how it can be played.

GhaleonEB

Very odd move to hold a brief, frenzied press conference if all you are going to do is reiterate the message that is blowing up in your face. All it does is instantly elevate the incident even further. In case Romney didn't notice - and he obviously doesn't - that's not a good thing.

teiresias

Apparently Mother Jones will be relesing more Red meat tommorow..

NOM NOM NOM

So he's doing this hasty presser tonight, and from the sounds of it he's only addressing and doubling down on the 47% video tonight, though it's unclear whether he specifies which of the clips he's actually saying is basically what he meant to say (even I can't believe he's stupid enough to imply that he's doubling down on the whole thing about "If my dad were Mexican I'd be elected"), what happens when Mother Jones releases more of the video and it's just as damning? Will Romney be doing late-night staged pressers every night this week?

This whole response strategy is completely ridiculous and ill conceived.

Clevinger

Is anybody watching the video of the press conference? Seeing it on MSNBC. Mitt's hair is a mess. I bet he's been raging behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom