• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone I know, who has conservative parents and typically vote (R), doesn't want to bring up the election and whose voting why cause it'd be weird talking with them about politics.

smh

I assume that you think this is odd because your friend's situation is very different from MY friend's situation, where his parents are total nut jobs and full on racists, and it's completely impossible to communicate to them on a rational level about anything of import.

pigeon

Banned
All things could change also if the jobs report for September is bad also. Basically Gloria Borger said on CNN that the first week in October will probably decides Romney election with the debate and the jobs report coming out.

Nah. As others have noted, a bad jobs report in October is just going to join the pile of bad jobs reports we've been seeing all year. Nor is it likely that Romney will see a lasting improvement from the debate -- certainly not large enough to overcome a consistent 3-5 point lead. After all, most candidates lead after their conventions, too. I think it's genuinely possible that all the "rules" of campaigns and polls are becoming totally obsolete in the new information economy.

Vahagn

My hope is, people understand that our economy is sluggish now and that Congress isn't going to do anything until after the election. So if we still have bad jobs numbers, people won't get shocked. But if all of a sudden we create 180,000 + Jobs in September and October...voter optimism will go up 4-5 points and Obama will cruise to a victory.

That's my hope as a partisan Democrat, and I can make logical arguments for it, but I have no idea whether it will really play out that way.

Paul Ryan came to speak at my university today. I kind of wanted to go just for the experience of saying I saw him, but I know I would just spend the whole time scoffing at all the things he says.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! (for everyone above not just the one I quoted. )

I am feeling like a mad ballin job creator this week, I am arranging for child care, yard care, new work clothes, new iPhone :)p).

I didn't even have to wait for Romney to slash government spending and lower the marginal tax rate on millionaires and billionaires! Confidence fairy must be working overtime!

RDreamer

Well looks like I'll be a +1 for the September jobs report.

Been unemployed since June 1, 2010 :^/

Congrats!

Watch, you'll get another job offer soon, too, lol.

As I've said here I have a full job and now I accepted an internship/freelance job for 2-4 days a week for the next 6 months. Technically on my resume now I have 3 jobs! I just got another call today about a job offer on the way home. Partially sucks because I'm looking for a much sturdier long term job, but I can't leave this internship thing for 6 months.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats!

Watch, you'll get another job offer soon, too, lol.
yep. Jobs are like women, they don't want you till you are taken :p

For me it didn't happen till I got into grad school, them I got like three interviews the next week. I ended up having to turn down grad school so I am glad something worked out eventually.
its up to you to decrease the unemployment %!
I am actually unsure how I get would get theoretically counted. I wasn't what I would call actively looking, I would have considered myself out if the labor force, so I went from there directly back to working. Anyone know?

Not that my specific job is counted

yep. Jobs are like women, they don't want you till you are taken :p

For me it didn't happen till I got into grad school, them I got like three interviews the next week. I ended up having to turn down grad school so I am glad something worked out eventually.

I am actually unsure how I get would get theoretically counted. I wasn't what I would call actively looking, I would have considered myself out if the labor force, so I went from there directly back to working. Anyone know?

Not that my specific job is counted

You wouldn't count towards the official unemployment rate (U3) but you would count towards the more broader measures, which include discouraged workers who are not actively looking for work.

Looks like Romney + GOP will start a full fledged assault on the redistribution video. Hopefully Obama campaign has sent out notes to surrogates on how to answer it.

RDreamer

Looks like Romney + GOP will start a full fledged assault on the redistribution video. Hopefully Obama campaign has sent out notes to surrogates on how to answer it.

I hope one of them says something along the lines of "I guess Romney has the same amount of understanding of our progressive taxation system we've had for years and years in this country as he does about dirty bombs."

RDreamer

Maddow points out something interesting. During the debate Romney said specifically under Newt Gingrich's plan for the last two years that he would have paid no taxes. Thus, he admitted that he didn't pay income taxes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maddow points out something interesting. During the debate Romney said specifically under Newt Gingrich's plan for the last two years that he would have paid no taxes. Thus, he admitted that he didn't pay income taxes.

That...might be a mental slip. I wouldn't consider it too damning.

Allard

Lol Maddow just brought evidence from Romney during the GOP primary that he paid 0 dollars in federal income taxes essentially making him the 47% he was railing against as well. When criticizing Newt Gingriches tax plan which brought capital gains to 0% he said he would have paid zero taxes... which means all his taxes are based on capital gains (which a lot of us assumed) so 'technically' he paid 0 in federal income, the specific tax he said 47% of people don't pay any taxes into. Does that make Romney a secret Obama supporter then and that he can't persuade himself to change? :p

Edit; Lol beaten

Easy.

"This audio was from 14 years ago which was 5 years prior to Governor Romney's term in Massachusetts. Within that time period, Mr. Romney has changed his public positions on basically every subject about 3 times back and forth on average. Meanwhile Mitt Romney doesn't believe it's fair to judge him on positions he had while he was Governor such as effectively creating the pilot program for Obamacare along with The Heritage Foundation's help and being an outspoken pro-choice Governor."

markatisu

LOL Does he need to send out notes, they dealt with all this in 2008

last time I looked it was 2012, I fully anticipate attack ads about Bill Ayers and Obama's Birth Certificate, and interviews with Joe the Plumber

Mike M

Nick N
Eh, I really doubt Mitt getting all his income from capital gains and subsequently paying capital gains tax will get any traction

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom