• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/romney-said-hed-take-advantage-of-iran-hostage-li

Mitt Romney was asked at his May 17 Florida fundraiser — the subject of now-ubiquitous leaked video — how he could "duplicate" the 1980 hostage crisis scenario, credited with defeating Jimmy Carter.

In response, the presidential candidate said: "I mean, if something of that nature presents itself I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity."

Last week, the Romney campaign was accused of exploiting the crisis at U.S. embassies in Cairo and the death of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans — and this little-noticed section of the bombshell video has already drawn attention in that connection.
This explains the smirk and so much more.

Amir0x

Banned
if this doesn't show you the difference between the genuine compassion Obama can have for the american people vs. the robotic, almost alien disconnection of Romney's personality:

Link

When Sayli and Jon Gibbs got married on Sept. 1 at Living History Farms in Urbandale, Iowa, in front of close friends and family, they expected that it would be a romantic day they would never forget. What they did not expect was that the barn they chose would also be the site of a last-minute rally for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

The couple was told that the president's event, which started in the morning, may run past schedule, and that the parking lot of the venue would be closed to cars. So Sayli had to walk across the parking lot carrying her wedding gown. Luckily for the couple, the president left on time, and he also left behind a special gift: a silver tray and a mint julep cup, both with the presidential seal, and a handwritten note that read, "Congratulations on the wedding. Michelle and I wish you a great life together. Barack Obama."

Neither Sayli nor Jon is a registered Democrat; nonetheless, they were still delighted to receive the gift. Jon Gibbs said, "Love him or hate him, it's a gift from the president." Photographer Loren Paul snapped a picture of the gift, and a friend posted it on Reddit, where it made the front page and received hundreds of comments.

One commenter questioned how the president had gifts like that on hand, writing, "I wonder if the President has a box of emergency presents, just for times like these." It's not clear if the president carries around a stash of gifts, but one thing's for sure: Sayli and Jon Gibbs will have an incredible wedding story to share for a lifetime.

Video of gifts/couple/etc @ link.

Gruco

Banned
House districts have been so gerrymandered and the incumbent advantage is still pronounced that such a small margin of national voting variation (as you describe) would have a negligible/undecipherable effect on the overall outcome.

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/08/30/house-outlook-2012-take-1/

Considering the possibility of movement in opinion between now and November and the fact that seat outcomes don’t precisely reflect popular vote, the total 1-sigma uncertainty is about +/-4%. This leads to a prediction of R+2% to D+6% (68% CI). This corresponds to anywhere from a 12-vote Republican majority to a 36-seat Democratic majority. The probability of retained Republican control is 31%, a knife edge situation.

http://cookpolitical.com/house/maps

26 toss ups, 13 lean dem, 17 lean rep.

Gerrymandering and incumbent advantage are real things as everyone knows but not enough to prevent the house from being swingable. As obviously only a small fraction of house seats need be relevant for control to change. There are a number of competitive seats. Small swings can be the difference between losing 10 seats by a point and winning 10 seats by a point. The type of situation we are in now is exactly the type where small margins in the popular vote/turnout and translate into important differences in congressional makeup.

Keep in mind +7 Dem was good for 233 seats in 2006. +10 Dem 2008 became 257. +7 Rep got them 242. We're closer to 50/50 this time, and the difference between +3 dem and +5 dem could indeed be pivotal.

Of course. The extreme rightward lurch of your party is not the problem. Nor is Romney's confusing disapprobation of Obama last week. The biased media is the cause of your problems.

You saw that too. Republicans have to play the refs so much when it comes to the media. They used this in 2008 about how they were giving Obama a pass. We kept getting that stupid question, "Who is the real Obama?" But just ignore the fact that theyhave a freaking movie out about him now, Obama 2016. Or ignore the fact that Fox News ran a hard right biography about Obama on multiple nights in 2008. Do as I say and not as I do.

Charlie Cook drops the private polling bomb.

Obama up 4-5 points nationally.

North Carolina is very close but Romney's expected to prevail.

New Hampshire is more or less tied.

Up 2-4 points in Wisconsin and Virginia.

Up 2-5 points in Florida and Nevada.

3-6 in Iowa, 4-6 in Colorado, 5-8 in Ohio, 6+ in Michigan, high single digits in Pennsylvania.

Buh?

...oh, right, PRIVATE polling. Was wondering about that, since all the public polling in NH has indicated Obama leading by 3-7 points

tGmby.jpg

Just saw this in funny pics thread.

Needs an arrow pointing to 'Believe in America'.

BTW . . . how fucking incompetent and crazy are they to save a few bucks and get 'Made in China' on their campaign buttons? Seriously now. I know it is just for-show fluff but fucking put in some effort!

kehs

Banned
if this doesn't show you the difference between the genuine compassion Obama can have for the american people vs. the robotic, almost alien disconnection of Romney's personality:

Link

Video of gifts/couple/etc @ link.

Redistribution of preloaded silver spoons.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Who the fuck asks how someone's going to duplicate the consequences of a fucking hostage scenario?

The full statement is both better and worse. With context its clear that he's saying he'd only take advantage of such a situation if it happened (marginally better.....ehhhhh) but he also says straight up that he wants to focus more on foreign policy in his campaign, which is the first probably truly stupid thing I've heard him say.

Hm. If Romney's tax returns were leaked that'd be a pretty big game changer, and not the kind Mitt would want at this point.

I only hope he doesn't implode so badly that Obama just becomes the default choice for the presidential election and more people feel comfortable in splitting the ticket in congressional races. I don't know if that's actually a thing, we'll see I guess.

Been reading through a far-right conservative blog for the last hour or so, enjoying the salt and whatnot.

I come across this.

Just... the cognitive dissonance. It's astounding.

HylianTom

Banned
Hm. If Romney's tax returns were leaked that'd be a pretty big game changer, and not the kind Mitt would want at this point.

I only hope he doesn't implode so badly that Obama just becomes the default choice for the presidential election and more people feel comfortable in splitting the ticket in congressional races. I don't know if that's actually a thing, we'll see I guess.
With luck, we could see widespread, wholesale tainting of the Republican brand. Especially if popular Obama places into voters' minds the idea that he needs a Congress that's willing to work with him.

codhand

I just saw Jimmy Carter's grandson--aka Da Carter Volume 3--on Hardball he was really reserved and not tv-ready but mentioned that Romney's consistent Carter bashing certainly isn't winning him any favors in the familia. Still smh at the false equivalence on Drudge right now, give me a break, 1998?

In the poll, 49 percent approve of the president's job in handling foreign policy, versus 46 percent who disapprove.
Last month, 54 percent said they approved of his foreign-policy handling.

From the NBC/WSJ poll being released tonight

Averon

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/us-usa-campaign-libya-idUSBRE88H1BY20120918

Romney's Libya comments landed with a thud
Four in 10 U.S. voters felt less favorably toward Romney after hearing about his criticism of President Barack Obama's handling of the attacks in which the U.S. ambassador to Libya was killed.

Only 26 percent of the registered voters polled felt worse about Obama after hearing about the Democrat's comments about the violence in the Middle East, the survey said.

The poll found that 37 percent of voters felt more favorable toward Obama after hearing about his remarks, versus 29 percent who felt favorable about Romney after hearing about his statement.

Jackson50

Assuming it's an actual drop, it's only consequential if it benefits Romney. True, elections are largely retrospective, but I think this was an unusual occurrence which doesn't conform to expectations. And the polls I've read indicate his response was widely condemned by the public. It's not worrisome.

Mitt Romney was asked at his May 17 Florida fundraiser — the subject of now-ubiquitous leaked video — how he could "duplicate" the 1980 hostage crisis scenario, credited with defeating Jimmy Carter.
WTF? Who would ask such a question? I don't . . . . it sounds he is asking for someone to stage some hostage taking. This is how conspiracy theories get started.

pigeon

Banned

Frankly, this was inevitable. Riots in the Middle East and an ambassador being killed were never going to play well. But I agree that the question is whether Romney gained as a result. Also worth watching that number if they do conclusively arrest these guys before November. (Libya said they got the guys last week, but has been suspiciously quiet since then.)

Don't worry guys, all the undecideds could break to Romney and he'd tie with the president! Bad news for Obummer!

Clevinger said:
Only a one point difference with registered voters and LV? Smells fishy.
Presidential election closes the disparity between RVs and LVs.

I'd also have to imagine anyone who finishes a phone poll at this point is a committed voter.

mj1108

If they were to leak, I can see it being the "October surprise".

RDreamer

I really don't understand America's (and the right wing especially) logic. So Romney throws out this statistic of 47% of people don't pay income tax. Ok, well the logical person would say "Damn, that much of this country doesn't make squat? What the hell? That's horrible!" Then Romney and Drudge respond with a video of Obama saying he believes in redistribution. Now, logic should tell you that perhaps if that much of our nation is making pretty near nothing maybe that's at least a partial solution to our problem? It's like someone coming out and saying half the nation has cancer! Don't vote for that guy, though, he believes in curing cancer! Vote for me, I won't do any of that.

The redistribution angle is dumb. Everything the gov't does that involves money is redistribution.

Oil subsidies? redistribution
farm subsidies? redistribution
food stamps? redistribution
highway funding? redistribution
military expenditures? redistribution

There is nothing that isn't redistribution. The very nature of gov't is redistribution of resources. It is its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom