• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paches

Isn't Mitt Romney one of those 47% who don't pay federal income tax? His money is all from capital gains since he's been unemployed for the past 5 years and in permanent campaign mode.

Yeah, he said previously that he only pays cap gains.

Loudninja

Wow the RNC responded to that poll
Wisconsin is a crucial swing state that the Obama Campaign is clearly worried about losing. The President turned his back on his most loyal supporters during the recall election, has been absent from the state for over 200 days, and has implemented policies that have made Wisconsinites worse off. Now, after seeing the growing Republican momentum and enthusiastic support for Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan’s plan to strengthen Wisconsin’s small business and middle class families, the President is scrabbling to regain the support he’s lost since the 2008 election. President Obama’s upcoming visit to Milwaukee, paired with ad buys to be released next week show a President desperate to hang on to a state his campaign once thought was safely in their camp. In November, Wisconsin voters will choose a new direction and prove them wrong.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/rnc-responds-to-marquette-poll-showing-obama-up

Haha

Chichikov

With Wisconsin/Ohio/Michigan/Penn obama just needs 1 of 7 swing states to win the election.
With Wisconsin and Ohio, Obama wins.
I don't think Nevada is a swing state this election.
With Ohio and Wisconsin gone to Obama, what does a Romney path to victory look like?
It doesn't.
BpGh4.png

ToxicAdam

Romney has to turn his fortunes around in Wi/Oh/Va rather quickly or he is going to get skunked. Even worse than McCain 08(whom I predicted he would do slightly better than).

Sherrod Brown has really gone negative on Mandel in the Senate race in Ohio and I am wondering if it isn't backfiring. A lot of polls are showing close(r).

HylianTom

Banned
Hell, we'll know very early in the evening. If our two east coast swing states (NH and VA) are called, you can pull the champaigne out of the fridge.

edit: let me reiterate once again just how fucked the GOP is with the Electoral College for the next few decades. The earth will have to move for them to crack the lock.

Vestal

Romney has to turn his fortunes around in Wi/Oh/Va rather quickly or he is going to get skunked. Even worse than McCain 08(whom I predicted he would do slightly better than).

But how? 49 days till election... 14 points down in Wisconsin.... thats an insurmountable lead.

Slime

Banned
Wow if that WI poll is accurate and holds. If Obama won at least WI, OH and VA, he could lose NV, CO, IA, FL, NC and NH and still win.

Edit: beaten

You can skip to 4:15 in the clip...

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co.../september-18-2012/mitt-romney-s-secret-video

"I hope to see you all later in the Russian F--K-Pit"

<3 Colbert.
Sooooo good. I'd recommend watching the full clip though.

That particular deer looks like a fucking asshole.

Forgive me if that comes across as inarticulate. My point, GAF, was that we need a strong middle class, and we need to get the elderly back to work.

im genuinely curious about something.
the talk is always about a handful of swing states that could go either way.
are all the other states considered soo red/blue that nothing on earth could swing them till the election?
and are theses states actively campaigned in at all?

Chichikov

Romney may get crushed but he won't do numbers like 365-173.
Yeah, I really don't see Obama carry either Indiana or North Carolina, and I can't see him making up those electors anywhere else.

are all the other states considered soo red/blue that nothing on earth could swing them till the election?
Pretty much.
But those things change from election to election.

Nope.
They do come to take our money though.
there's congressional and local campaigning, but it's not close to the scale of presidential campaign in swing states.

Poll: Nearly Half Of Americans Find Nothing In Common With Romney

Forty-eight percent of adults polled felt they had 'nothing at all' in common with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, according to a new poll from Yahoo! and Esquire released Wednesday. Only 5 percent of those polled felt they had 'a lot' in common with the former governor.

President Obama carried a bit more commonality with those polled -- while 36 percent believed they had 'nothing at all' in common with the president, 14 percent believed they had 'a lot,' and 48 percent believed they had 'some' or 'a little' commonality with Obama.

The PollTracker average pegs Romney's favorability rating at 42.3 percent against an unfavorability rating of 44.6 percent. Obama enjoys a 6-point positive margin, 49.5 percent viewing him favorably and 43.3 percent unfavorably.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/poll-nearly-half-of-americans-find-nothing-in

the poll: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politi...2?hootPostID=5d8a8e9f36d0df7f85685c10d6990ed5

If only Mitt wasn't white, he'd do better in polls like this

ToxicAdam

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
im genuinely curious about something.
the talk is always about a handful of swing states that could go either way.

the bold is the important part, and to answer bluntly: they're locked in.

the answer to your second question is yes.

I don't think it's out of the question if Romney's campaign really tanks hard and conservatives get even more discouraged for places like Florida, IA and NC to go blue and reach near McCain levels.

But you are right, I didn't realize how lopsided the EC count was.

Obama won't win Indiana. All the other previously blue states, I think he could carry.

Hell, we'll know very early in the evening. If our two east coast swing states (NH and VA) are called, you can pull the champaigne out of the fridge.

edit: let me reiterate once again just how fucked the GOP is with the Electoral College for the next few decades. The earth will have to move for them to crack the lock.

Don't worry. Everyone's favorite Magical Hispanic Marco Rubio will unite the Whites and Hispanics into an unstoppable force in 2016, and stomp Hillary Clinton all the way to New Hampshire.

Forever

Banned
Don't worry. Everyone's favorite Magical Hispanic Marco Rubio will unite the Whites and Hispanics into an unstoppable force in 2016, and stomp Hillary Clinton all the way to New Hampshire.

If Hillary runs you might as well crown her, there's no politician in either party that can compare in stature and who will be eligible to run.

Klein and the gang are having great fun on Twitter with #WonkRappers

1. Fiscal Kliff
2. EmineNGDP Targeting
3. RUN-OMB
4. DJ Filly Buster

Suzy Khimm: "Pump up the base(line)!"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What's this Romney "surge" I keep hearing about?

14 points behind in WI is a "surge"?

State polls lag national polls.
Regardless 14 points is a hell of a lead in a "Swing" state.

Current national (let alone state) polls also don't including the 47% comment, which hits Romney harder then Romney's Libya bullshit.

pigeon

Banned
Some interesting crosstabs between the September and mid-August Marquette polls:

* Economy has gotten better over the past year, +9 (19 to 28; gotten worse is -4)
* Economy will get better over the next year, +6 (41 to 47; get worse is -5, stay the same is -5, don't know is +4!)
* Recession had "major effect, but finances recovered" +4 (refused to answer -5!)

* Obama net approval, +12 (48/45 to 54/39)
* Walker net approval, -8 (46/50 to 50/46)

* Obama net favorables, +7 (52/43 to 55/39)
* Romney net favorables, -5 (35/45 to 36/51)
* Ryan net favorables, -6 (41/34 to 41/41, "not enough info" -5)
* Ryan VP choice "poor", +6 (19 to 25)
( * Following politics "most of the time," +6 -- COINCIDENCE?)

* Walker net favorables, -8 (50/45 to 46/49)
* Baldwin net favorables, +10 (32/37 to 36/31, "not enough info" +0)
* Thompson net favorables, -7 (40/38 to 39/44, "not enough info" -4 -- and yet I thought Baldwin was doing all the campaigning)

* Presidential RV/LV spread, -2 (+3 Romney to +1 Romney -- Baldwin is 1 pt better among LV than RV in both polls)

* Higher taxes/more services, +7 net (44/48 to 47/44)
* Obamacare net approval, +14 (42/49 to 49/42)

* Obama "strong leader," +16 net (52/46 to 60/38)
* Romney "strong leader," -6 net (46/38 to 46/44 -- there's that six percent again!)

* Democrat self-identification, +6 (26/28 to 26/34, independent -4 -- with leaners included, Dem is +7, pure independent -4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom