• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

Maybe someday. I don't like when mayors run for president coughrudy.

If he gets elected to a statewide position in Texas, hell yeah! But I don't think that'll happen by 2016. At best he could get elected governor in 2014 but then he still only has 2 years under his belt.

Castro would be an ideal VP pick for Clinton. Young, Popular, Liberal, and Latino.

Then he'd be set the fuck up for 2024.

Clevinger

If he gets elected to a statewide position in Texas, hell yeah! But I don't think that'll happen by 2016. At best he could get elected governor in 2014 but then he still only has 2 years under his belt.

If the party really wanted to use Castro, I could see a trajectory of: Obama appointing him to his cabinet (Secretary of Labor, maybe?) > then as Clinton's VP pick > then running for president. Getting him elected statewide in Texas would be a lot harder.

These predictions always end up so spectacularly wrong. lol

Cheebo

Banned

Castro is more of the next-next generation of Democrat leaders, not the next generation for 2016. Soon as he wins a state wide race in Texas he'll instantly be a contender for whenever the next open primary is. And I have no doubt he will win a statewide race. He is a fantastic politician in a state with rapidly changing demographics. And he is very young, he has time to wait it out.

If the party really wanted to use Castro, I could see a trajectory of: Obama appointing him to his cabinet (Secretary of Labor, maybe?) > then as Clinton's VP pick > then running for president. Getting him elected statewide in Texas would be a lot harder.

These predictions always end up so spectacularly wrong. lol
I think it is smarter for him to wait it out and risk the statewide race in Texas. Because if he proves he can take texas he'll get a large chunk of the party to rally around him for 2020/2024. Having texas in your pocket as a Dem means you basically can't lose.

Romney Ohio blitz coming atcha

Behind in recent Ohio polls, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will board his campaign bus next week for another cruise through the battleground Buckeye State.

The former Massachusetts governor's campaign announced a three-day, six-city tour late Wednesday.

U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney's vice presidential running mate, will stump solo on the first stop, scheduled for Monday in Lima. He'll meet Romney on Tuesday in Cincinnati before Romney heads on to Dayton by himself.

Romney will campaign Wednesday in the Columbus, Cleveland and Toledo areas. Additional details have yet to be announced.

The tour's theme: "The Romney Plan for a Stronger Middle Class."

The GOP challenger to President Barack Obama in recent days has stood by comments surreptitiously recorded at a May fundraiser and first reported Monday by the liberal magazine Mother Jones. Romney said Obama's supporters represent 47 percent of the country who "believe they are victims" and "entitled" to government assistance.

These people, Romney said, "will vote for this president no matter what."

He has defended the remarks, though he acknowledged they were not "elegantly stated."

Romney already has visited Ohio three times since last month's Republican National Convention. Last week he campaigned near Mansfield and in Painesville. Obama campaigned Monday in Cincinnati and Columbus.

Recent polls show Obama leading Romney by as many as 7 percentage points or by as few as 1. No Republican has won the White House without winning swing-state Ohio, which this year awards 18 electoral votes to the victor.

"Look, Ohio is always an important state, no matter how you look at the history," Romney senior adviser Kevin Madden told reporters last week near Mansfield. "For as long as I've been working on campaigns, Ohio has been very important and it's going to be important this time around, and we're taking it very seriously, and that's why we're here today."

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/09/mitt_romney_to_launch_ohio_bus.html

Farmboy

Gotta say, seeing Schweitzer at the Convention really emphasized how awesome Obama is, in terms of his charisma and political intelligence.

Schweitzer has a shot, of course - he's better than someone like Romney, obviously, and more likeable than a Gore or Kerry. It's just sort of disappointing that after Obama gets his four more years, we'll probably have another 2000 or 2004 on our hands in terms of not really having an exceptional candidate in the race (to be fair, Gore I think is a great intellect and would've made a fine president, as would Kerry to a lesser extent... but they were never going to be truly inspirational). Castro could grow into one of those in time, but for the moment the bench seems a little thin.

Gotta say, seeing Schweitzer at the Convention really emphasized how awesome Obama is, in terms of his charisma and political intelligence.

Schweitzer has a shot, of course - he's better than someone like Romney, obviously, and more likeable than a Gore or Kerry. It's just sort of disappointing that after Obama gets his four more years, we'll probably have another 2000 or 2004 on our hands in terms of not really having an exceptional candidate in the race (to be fair, Gore I think is a great intellect and would've made a fine president, as would Kerry to a lesser extent... but they were never going to be truly inspirational). Castro could grow into one of those in time, but for the moment the bench seems a little thin.

Hill Dawg?

Dabanton

Loved that Daily Show clip.

It's embarrassing that Fox presenters could ever pretend to actually be 'fair and balanced'.

Hopefully Obama gets a second term so I can look forward to their ultra meltdown.

Loved that Daily Show clip.

It's embarrassing that Fox presenters could ever pretend to actually be 'fair and balanced'.

Hopefully Obama gets a second term so I can look forward to their ultra meltdown.
It will make all the Obama end 2013 bumper stickers even more lulzy...but then they'll just switch dates like the Bush ones did.

I'm also convinced now that Obama as President will keep gun groups on their toes and well funded which will be needed for fights at the non Federal level unless the Republicans lose the house....then the risk is very real.

I also want Obama back because he hasn't wavered in the drone campiagn, but it is problematic with a democratic house...but Romney is worse on guns than Obama since while Obama has an awful voting record and public statements, Romney signed a fucking assault weapon ban.

Reminds me of the "Carlson for President" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati, when Mr. Carlson has on too much makeup for the television debate. I thought I would piss my pants when I first watched it.

xFnEQ.png

Now I'm angry again that they screwed up the DVDs and can't play the original series in syndication.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I believe I am going to owe you an apology come November. I thought it completely unfathomable that Romney would implode like this. All he had to do was not be a gaffe machine and run an effective job-and-economy-only campaign and he would have only lost by 1% or maybe even eked out a win if something were to happen with the country or economy.

But then Romney started going down the Santorum/Rick Perry/Michelle Bachmann route and started verbally defecating every time he opened his mouth. He refused to detail any plan he might have for ANY subject. He picked a face deficit/budget hawk who is toxic to old people, and so on. We all know the story.

It is looking more and more like 2008 all over again. And if he loses by a greater majority than McCain, I will pat you on the back with several TPM links of them genuflecting at the greatness of Obama.

Hey, I'll take what I can get. But it's not like I could've predicted he would be this bad. Mine was based simply on the map and that the economy wasn't getting worse. Combine that with an obviously splintered party that Romney would have to continually bow down to and the coming disaster was obvious.

On another note, but same subject: the past week of revealed gaffes/revelations about Romney's leadership style (libya response + 47%) should've been enough to lose him the election in any economy. Completely un-statesmanlike.

More, it reveals explicitly the problem with nominating a businessman with little actual political experience. It's like how it takes some amount of years to learn all the unspoken rules of any sport so you don't go bush league when you make it to the biggs. Romney never learned certain things, like not alienating half your constituency, even in private. Or say, slightly more nuanced stuff like tread lightly in Foreign Policy, especially if Americans have died.

LOL!

Tim-E

I would full-on support Hillary in 2016 if she ran. No other candidate would come close to her in experience. She'd expand the potential map democrats could have on top of the already expanding trends from demographic changes. Plus, if Obama wins this time democrats will likely get credit for the recovery, which will make her even more likely to win in 2016.

Anyone else follow electoral-vote.com?

Love this blog. I couldn't live without it.

Was reading the post today. It seems everything about the republican machine is falling apart right now. So many bad polls for them.

I would full-on support Hillary in 2016 if she ran. No other candidate would come close to her in experience. She'd expand the potential map democrats could have on top of the already expanding trends from demographic changes. Plus, if Obama wins this time democrats will likely get credit for the recovery, which will make her even more likely to win in 2016.
No thanks she might continue one of Bills pet projects.

Gruco

Banned

Was reading the post today. It seems everything about the republican machine is falling apart right now. So many bad polls for them.

E-V is one of the best daily snapshots. The map is very simple as compared with 538 or PEC, but the news section is thorough, straightforward, and tends to skim worthwhile stories. If I had to pick one single source for following the election, I'd probably go with it.

Tim-E

The fact that they have a Ras-free map make this the best site ever.

Kosmo

Banned
One thing I've learned since 2004: Guessing who's going to be the nominee from either party four years in advance is always wrong. Everyone always guesses wrong.

If it's not Hillary it's probably someone we're not even thinking of.
OR, of all the people in your pool for potential nominees, it'll be the one you'd least expect.

Hillary seems like the Giuliani of 2008. She would not run as bad of a primary, but if you asked who people thought would be the GOP nominee in '08 during '04, Giuliani would probably have gotten 90% of the vote.

Gruco

Banned
Sam Wang just said it.

Democrats positioned to retake the House

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/09/20/house-outlook-for-2013-take-2/

Conditions through August showed a 2% lead on the generic Congressional ballot for Democrats. As of September 20th, in the wake of the Democratic convention, the lead has widened to 4.0 +/- 2.0%. Although it has yet to be fully appreciated by political pundits, this translates to a likely November loss of the House of Representatives by Republicans. The probability of a Democratic takeover is currently 74% with a median majority of 16 seats. This picture may well change again over the coming six weeks.

Gruco

Banned
Who could have guessed that using their mediscare/bad economy win as a mandate to voucherize medicare and generally act like asshats would have come back to hurt Republicans?

GhaleonEB

A wave election? A wave election.

Democratic Enthusiasm Swells in the Swing States, Nationally

sutfr27ieeobiwggkeza8a.gif

Voter enthusiasm in these states has grown among members of both political parties; however, Democrats' level has increased more. Thus, whereas equal percentages of Democrats and Republicans were enthusiastic in June, Democrats are now significantly more enthusiastic than Republicans, 73% vs. 64%.
Still in the aftermath of the convention bounce. But in the context of the polls lately and Romney's immolation....yeah.

I'd be more inclined to bet against it, just as a hedge. Don't want to get hopes up too much that the second Obama term will involve actual productive legislation.

1st day of session 2013, Harry Reid passes legislature changing filibuster rules

2nd day, Jobs act passes with 1trillion in spending

3rd day, public option passes

4th day, marijuana legalized

5th day, gitmo closed

6th day, comprehensive immi reform passes, instant asylum to 20 million illegal immigrants, instant resident status for those stuck in legal visa wait limbo.

7th day, taxes for 250k+ raised 10%

Bush tax cuts expired
Afghan withdrawal achieved
Obama grabs Bibi by his ear and makes him sit on the adult table with Mahmoud Abbas and sign the peace treaty, recognizing palestinian statehood for pre-67 borders
Unicorns, rainbows and carebears
Hilldawg runs in 2016, every democratic primary challenger bows out of respect and gives her the crown

PPP twitter: "We don't have Obama up 14 in Wisconsin but we have him up a lot more than we did last week. Results between 11 and Noon"

Wisconsin is slipping away

Puddles

Banned
Damn, RustyNails, that list looks amazing.

Add a 50% tax bracket on incomes over $1 million per year that applies only to people in the financial sector, a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United, public campaign financing, and add dinosaurs to those unicorns and carebears, and we'll have one hell of a four year ride. Maybe we can use some tax revenue to fund dinosaur cloning and then balance the budget on tourism.

But seriously, I would love to see an FDR-level tax rate applied only to the financial sector. Not sure if it would be constitutional, but I can dream.

Tim-E

I'll remain optimistic about the Presidency and the Senate, but I cannot let myself get excited about the House.....must....fight it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom