• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

I'm probably more eager to vote this time around than I was in 2008. I've also donated a lot more money than I did last time around.

pigeon

Banned
how is the seat in hawaii looking?
last time someone posted, it was looking good for hirono (D)
but googling linked me to only a single recent article saying lingle (R) is up

Hirono's up by ten, and will probably also have the biggest boost from Obama's coattails in the history of coats -- not to mention Inouye's support, of course. Poor Lingle has never led. She'd be a pretty moderate R in the national sense, really.

How about "politician who throughout his career has been known to associate with a variety of left wing activists some of whom can be described as radical left" - is that untrue as well?

You should really stop posting on NeoGAF forever.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I found this image hilarious;

qbMWS.jpg

the contrast between Romney, his orangeness, and the hosts faces.

Brinbe

Man, that recent polling of Wisconsin is pretty reassuring because if Ohio/WI are indeed looking safe, where does Romney go? I mean...

4ls3w.png

even with a super-generous map, he's fucked. I even put NH/VA in his corner just to make it seem closer than it seems. I could see him taking NV, but that'd just pull things into a draw if NH goes to Bams.

Forever

Banned
Man, that recent polling of Wisconsin is pretty reassuring because if Ohio/WI are indeed looking safe, where does Romney go? I mean...

4ls3w.png

even with a super-generous map, he's fucked. I even put NH/VA in his corner just to make it seem closer than it seems. I could see him taking NV, but that'd just pull things into a draw if NH goes to Bams.

As Nate put it:

But if Mr. Obama is having days like this in the polls a week from now, then Mr. Romney is either going to be banking on an exceptionally lopsided turnout, or some sort of October surprise. Either is a possibility, but not one you’d want to put a lot of money on.

pigeon

Banned
It's up to the moderators, feel free to complain to them.

This is exactly the kind of thing Romney is talking about when he refers to people not taking responsibility for their own lives. You don't need the government to stop posting. All you have to do is choose to stop posting! Don't be a taker, be a maker.

jiggle

Hirono's up by ten, and will probably also have the biggest boost from Obama's coattails in the history of coats -- not to mention Inouye's support, of course. Poor Lingle has never led. She'd be a pretty moderate R in the national sense, really.

thnx!
sweet revenge from mazie

Home, which one I don't know.
I almost feel bad for Romney until I realize that him losing the election means he can just enjoy his immaculate wealth.

MiDNiGHTS said:
Did anyone else see this bizarre poll by AP/Gfk Roper? Obama leads by 15 among all adults, by 10 among registered voters and by 1 among likely voters.
Yeah, their LV screen must be tough to produce that kind of result. Most other pollsters don't show much difference between LV and RV lately.

In past presidential elections, the RV samples have been more predictive than LV samples, simply because everyone's paying attention.

It'll be a tight race in Hawaii. Lingle is well liked, despite being a Republican in an overwhelmingly Blue State. The Dems became an "old boys" network in HI due to its long-standing blueness and Lingle has proven to be a tolerable compromise during her governorship (she's not exactly Olympia Snow or Susan Collins, but she is fairly moderate). Hawaii polling is shaky at best due to many factors, including seasonal residents, heavy liberal leaning media outlets and general Aloha-time attitude.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/obama-redistribution-audio-clip-truncated-by-gop/

So yeah, that ancient clip of Obama...

The 14-year-old audio clip circulated by the Mitt Romney campaign this week to attack Barack Obama as favoring “redistribution” of wealth was “deceptively edited,” Democrats say, leaving out important context that Obama provided in his next breath.

In the clip Republicans are pushing around – and Romney now cites on the stump – then Illinois State Sen. Obama is heard speaking at a university conference in October 1998, appearing to endorse “redistribution” of wealth.

“I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level, to make sure that everybody’s got a shot,” Obama is heard saying on the clip, which then abruptly ends.

In the full recording, obtained by NBC News, Obama continues to explain in the next sentence that he is speaking broadly about making city and state government more efficient in their use of resources — and endorses “competition” in the “marketplace.”

“How do we pool resources at the same time as we decentralize delivery systems in ways that both foster competition, can work in the marketplace, and can foster innovation at the local level and can be tailored to particular communities,” he says.

The edit of the last line out of the clip earned Romney and the Republican National Committee a “four pinocchios” rating by fact checkers at the Washington Post.

Durask

This is exactly the kind of thing Romney is talking about when he refers to people not taking responsibility for their own lives. You don't need the government to stop posting. All you have to do is choose to stop posting! Don't be a taker, be a maker.

Fora activity is I dare say a form of entertainment, especially when we are talking about a _video game forum_.
When it stops being entertaining to me then I will stop posting.

ToxicAdam

If things keep trending this way, I think the story is not going to be the total amounts of money spent, but rather when that money was spent.

Obama seemed to be out ahead in spending his money early on, with ads going up in March/Apr in many swing states and continuing through the early summer months. It appears the Romney camp (and PACS) decided to wait until the end and just blow it out.

Although, maybe it wouldn't mattered or have been enough considering Romney is still Romney.

kehs

Banned
Is the secret service going to arrest the chair lynching people? It is disturbing as fuck, those people need some time behind bars.

Please link if you know!

La times says it'll be on

Today’s event is to be live-streamed at 2:10 p.m. in English on the Univision Noticias Facebook page and in both English and Spanish on UnivisionNoticias.com, according to the network.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-univision-town-hall-20120920,0,3897791.story

e: http://noticias.univision.com/destino-2012/live-videos/

pigeon

Banned
Did anyone else see this bizarre poll by AP/Gfk Roper? Obama leads by 15 among all adults, by 10 among registered voters and by 1 among likely voters.

http://ap-gfkpoll.com/main/wp-conte...K-Poll-September-2012-Topline_1st-release.pdf

Strikes me as a messy likely voter screen, especially with 73% of people saying their odds of voting are 10 on a 1-10 scale. Without methodology, we can't tell how they went on to break that percentage down -- or even whether they did, or should have.

It'll be a tight race in Hawaii. Lingle is well liked, despite being a Republican in an overwhelmingly Blue State. The Dems became an "old boys" network in HI due to its long-standing blueness and Lingle has proven to be a tolerable compromise (she's not exactly Olympia Snow or Susan Collins, but she is fairly moderate). Hawaii polling is shaky at best due to many factors, including seasonal residents, heavy liberal leaning media outlets and general Aloha-time attitude (I doubt many folks in Hawaii are sweating it out right now).

I just don't believe it. I mean, I haven't been home in a while, and certainly Lingle was relatively popular, but I really doubt that a Democrat will have significant difficulties given the current state of the polling and the fact that Obama's on the ticket.

Diablos

gallup 47% for obama/romney

approval-dissaprove 46/48
wtf, people should be rallying behind Obama now that they see how inept Romney is.

Sounds like Tim Kaine just lost the election. Says he's open to taxing the 47% in the debate
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/tim-kaine-im-open-to-taxing-47-percent

He's now advocating same sex marriage. Oh well, gg
wtf, Kaine is dumber than I thought. Could this hinder Obama's chances in VA, I wonder.

Thanks!
Some clips are low quality, but he looks pretty orange sometimes in there. Towards the end for example. I think Mitt Romenez-gate might not be that exciting.

If things keep trending this way, I think the story is not going to be the total amounts of money spent, but rather when that money was spent.

Obama seemed to be out ahead in spending his money early on, with ads going up in March/Apr in many swing states and continuing through the early summer months. It appears the Romney camp (and PACS) decided to wait until the end and just blow it out.

Although, maybe it wouldn't mattered or have been enough considering Romney is still Romney.
You're assuming that he's focused on spending money that produces actual campaigning and not doing the kickback buy-my-own-book-and-give-it-away type stuff.

GhaleonEB

wtf, people should be rallying behind Obama now that they see how inept Romney is..

Gallup is the outlier on this one, even Ras has movement toward Obama. But Gallup also uses a 10-day rolling average. Let's see where things are in a week.

I've long said, I Gallup will show Romney leading at several points before election day. Even with a 10-day average, random noise and new cycles will make for some odd snapshots.

Guevara

Mitt just looks embarrassing lately. If there's one thing you can count on, it's that Americans don't like voting for a "loser", all politics aside.

Something like self-deportation?

Dammit, beaten like a serf. ;P

Also, for all this talk of Obama's relations or contact with radicals it sure as hell doesn't show in his actions as president over his first term, which you'd think would count for something. The guy is a moderate, but that undigestible truth just seems to blow the gaskets of the far right.

pigeon

Banned
@fivethirtyeight said:
If Obama wins both Ohio and Virginia, the election is OHVA

Do you see what he did there?

wtf, people should be rallying behind Obama now that they see how inept Romney is.

There are a few different commentators, both named Nate (Silver and Cohn), talking about Gallup and Rasmussen being dramatic outliers compared to every other poll. Gallup is usually very reliable. But on the other hand, so is Marquette, and yet nobody believes that Obama is +14 in Wisconsin. Gallup has a GOP lean, but not that much; it has a cell phone gap, but usually not that much; and it has a tendency towards more volatility due to resetting its likely voter filter every day, but still not that much.

It's worth noting that Gallup, at least, and possibly some others, assume a "turnout ratio" and weight their likely voter filter so that it produces exactly that percentage of likely voters in the registered voter population -- for example, in '04 it was 55%. If there's an especially large enthusiasm increase, and a large number of people answer the filtering questions more positively than usual, the likely voter bar goes up as a result to the people who are EVEN MORE enthusiastic. So one possible hypothesis for this, and perhaps some other likely voter differentials, is that we're seeing what looks like a lift in enthusiasm, but the likely voter models for some pollsters are dampening it out.

http://www.mysterypollster.com/main/2004/10/likely_voters_i_1.html

Tim-E

Switching my registration to the county I currently live in is ridiculous. It's not enough to have the physical address I get mail at on several different forms (it's not a PO Box), but I need to go to the 911 office (which is only open three days a week) and show them where I live on a map so they can make super sure I live in the district I say I do. Then I have to take some confirmation from that back to the County Clerk's office and THEN I can get a new voter's registration card.

Is the secret service going to arrest the chair lynching people? It is disturbing as fuck, those people need some time behind bars.
They fucking should at the very listen get an interview or trip to their states federal building. I'd say the same for Bush too, you don't threaten the President of the United States.
To quote the Simpsons.
tumblr_m62jpiV60d1rq4no1o1_500.gif

tumblr_m62jpiV60d1rq4no1o2_500.gif

There are a few people I know that I will be so eager to hear from on November 7th.

mmmm

If you want I'll give you some link to some gun/hunting boards...you will feast like you never have before. Just promise that you won't look at it as representative of all who own guns hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom